Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Stove Pellets ?

Having a pellet stove installed in a few weeks.
Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove !

Need pellets for next winter season, suggestions on where to purchase and 'Brands' to buy ?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Glendale Girl

I get them from Gilford True Value. They have a early buy usually in June. They deliver free unlike Lowes that charge you. I use the Green Supreme.
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
SAB1

The green supreme seem to be the common pellet up there as I have found. There are much better pellets out there though. I burned green supreme this year and they were full of fines, high ash output and didn’t seem to have the heat output. I burned three or four years ago as well and I thought they were better back then. I’ll be switching next season and will haul them up from Hampton if nothing better local. Been burning pellets about 15 years now down in Mass. All things considered I think I could just run my heat (natural gas) and it would price out very close. Up at camp propane is higher price so saving a few bucks there.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #4
pjard

Go to Woodpellets.com and buy the Granules LG. Very little ash and Woodpellets.com is NH based company.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Go to Woodpellets.com and buy the Granules LG. Very little ash and Woodpellets.com is NH based company.
A good choice and I think they offer a price break at 3 tons. For a nominal fee, they’ll also place them in a garage or sheltered area if you have an area accessible by a motorized pallet jack.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Taz

Default pellets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Having a pellet stove installed in a few weeks.
Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove !

Need pellets for next winter season, suggestions on where to purchase and 'Brands' to buy ?

Thanks !
I don't know what is available in your area but in North Conway area a friend of mine and myself use CUBEX. Great pellet, no issues, we both burn them in Harman stoves.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
SAB1

Just and FYI I went on Woodpellets.com and they do not deliver to my Tuftonboro area.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Just and FYI I went on Woodpellets.com and they do not deliver to my Tuftonboro area.
On the Woodpellets.com website try punching in the zip code 03894 and you will see there is a retailer in Wolfeboro Falls.

I don't know, but they may somehow be able to assist you delivery of the woodpellets (since presumably they received the same products for retailing).

Just a thought......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Price?

What’s everybody paying for pellets these days? I can’t see a benefit / savings to burning pellets at $250.00 per ton as a primary heat source, it’s cheaper to turn the oil burner on and has been for the past couple winters...

Has the price of pellets come down that much?

Dan
Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
SAB1

No Dan they have not. Most decent pellets are running between $275 - $310 a ton depending on what you get. That's the only reason I took the Green Supreme last year at $250. It not cheap and I agree the costs against turning up the thermostat are not far off and using the thermostat gives you a uniformly warm house, less mess and a better back!
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
What’s everybody paying for pellets these days? I can’t see a benefit / savings to burning pellets at $250.00 per ton as a primary heat source, it’s cheaper to turn the oil burner on and has been for the past couple winters...

Has the price of pellets come down that much?

Dan
Dan

I have solar panels as well and typically late fall I still have "banked" electricity to use for "free". I've done the math and you are right. Pellets don't save you a dime if you have oil or even a high efficiency heat pump. However, it's a much nicer heat. It's pretty much concentrated in the room you are in (we have two stoves). It's probably break even at best but we burn about 3 tons a year. Again, it's just a nice warm heat on a cold night.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
Taz

Default pelletts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Dan

I have solar panels as well and typically late fall I still have "banked" electricity to use for "free". I've done the math and you are right. Pellets don't save you a dime if you have oil or even a high efficiency heat pump. However, it's a much nicer heat. It's pretty much concentrated in the room you are in (we have two stoves). It's probably break even at best but we burn about 3 tons a year. Again, it's just a nice warm heat on a cold night.
Totally agree, the primary heat source in the duplex up north is propane hot air, propane in North Conway is not cheap either plus the pellet stove keeps the common area we are in most of the time warm and comfortable evenly all the time while running. Primary heat source once it gets to set temp shuts off and it feels cold even though its at set temp. Not with pellet stove, continues to distribute warm air.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
LakeTimes

If you can get Vermont pellets go with them. I go through 4 pallets a season and they are amazing. Tried several other brands and they don’t burn as hot and have 5x the ash amount in the tray (meaning you need to clean your stove far more frequently).

I get mine at Home and Hearth in Hampton, NH and truck them home.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
If you can get Vermont pellets go with them. I go through 4 pallets a season and they are amazing. Tried several other brands and they don’t burn as hot and have 5x the ash amount in the tray (meaning you need to clean your stove far more frequently).

I get mine at Home and Hearth in Hampton, NH and truck them home.
I have always been curious about those but the $310 a ton has kept me away. Those are a softwood pellet, white pine I believe and I figured they probably burned fast. If you burn a hardwood pellet do you go thru less?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
I have always been curious about those but the $310 a ton has kept me away. Those are a softwood pellet, white pine I believe and I figured they probably burned fast. If you burn a hardwood pellet do you go thru less?
The best pellets we ever had were softwood from western Canada. Have not seen them here for many years. Low ash and very good heat output.

Softwood, hardwood or a blend; a bag still contains 40 lbs of dry compressed cellulose. Softwood pellets normally have slightly higher BTU per pound due to the resin. Any good pellet stove will have automatic combustion control with an exhaust temperature sensor and auto adjustment of the pellet feed rate. So with our Harman it would take slightly less softwood pellets to get the same overall heat output.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:29 AM   #16
SAB1

Figured I take another stab at this since this two years old. Moved up here last fall and ended up trucking 3tons up from my MA home. Seems like see Greene Supreme and New England around these parts. Any other brands locally around the lake?
Old 07-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #17
John Mercier

Not that I know of.
New England bought up a lot of the smaller independents, and even produces the Green Supreme line for Lowes.

HD sometimes grabs Fireside Ultra... but it is more expensive and harder to come by.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #18
LakeTimes

Ive been going with Vermont Pellets for years and haven’t looked back! They burn hot and super clean. Worth the extra money, but can’t get at big box stores to my knowledge. Guessing most all your ‘stove shops’ can sell you them.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:24 AM   #19
SAB1

Correct Laketimes. I pretty much burned premium pellets out of Home and Hearth in Hampton when I was in Mass. just seems like everywhere up here does not carry premium pellets. New England’s are common but just an average pellet.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #20
LakeTimes

Quote:
Correct Laketimes. I pretty much burned premium pellets out of Home and Hearth in Hampton when I was in Mass. just seems like everywhere up here does not carry premium pellets. New England’s are common but just an average pellet.
Funny. That’s where I get mine as well. . They actually were just here on Friday to put in a new Harmon as the last Harmon had been running since 1994 and had holes in the tray…. If you have a truck and/or trailer, maybe bring a pallet up on another trip? Completely worth it in my opinion. I am always surprised to see when my step dad buys the ‘Lowe’s special’, how dirty they are and how much more work and cleaning is continuously needed! I’ve twisted his arm, it just hasn’t broken yet…

I’ll ask a few people I know who live up North and see where they get their quality pellets (if they still use them).
Old 08-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #21
Taz

Default Cubex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I don't know what is available in your area but in North Conway area a friend of mine and myself use CUBEX. Great pellet, no issues, we both burn them in Harman stoves.
A friend and myself have been burning Cubex for 4 years. Great pellet. However, my friend burned pellets from Tractor Supply last year and he said they were just as good as Cubex but will save about $70 per ton. Am trying them this winter. If you want Cubex I was getting them from GDC Garden supply in Bartlett near the closed Scarecrow Restaurant on 16. Great guy to deal with but it might too late he takes orders early summer. Also White Mtn Stove shop on 16 sells Cubex but no delivery.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #22
bigdog

Default New England Wood Pellets ?

Anyone burning 'New England Wood Pellets',I believe they're made by Lignetics ?

Would like to know their quality, ash content, and how they burn.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated !
Old 09-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #23
SAB1

They are an average pellet. I burned them years ago consistently. I dont find them as good now as they were 15 years ago. I just picked up a ton to try them again as they readily available up here and Middleton Building Supply ($269) will deliver free. My son burned a ton of them last year at the end of season and said they made way to ash. We shall see. I also picked up 2 tons of Energex ($299) at Woodmans to try.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
bigdog

Quote:
They are an average pellet. I burned them years ago consistently. I dont find them as good now as they were 15 years ago. I just picked up a ton to try them again as they readily available up here and Middleton Building Supply ($269) will deliver free. My son burned a ton of them last year at the end of season and said they made way to ash. We shall see. I also picked up 2 tons of Energex ($299) at Woodmans to try.
SAB1, so have you ever burned the 'Enegex' pellets before ?
Was the price of $299 'delivered ?

Thanks !
Old 09-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #25
SAB1

I have not burned Energex. I saw good reviews on them so I figured I would try them. Tough to find much variety up here. I have a ton and half of Wood and Sons left from last year. 2 years ago those (Wood and Sons) were great. Last year I had trouble with them sticking to the side of the hopper and the stove would often go out at night because they wouldn't fall down into the pot. THis is kind of and Experiment year with three differing types.............
Old 09-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #26
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Anyone burning 'New England Wood Pellets',I believe they're made by Lignetics ?

Would like to know their quality, ash content, and how they burn.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated !
Not sure what Lignetics is... Middleton gets them out of Jaffrey NH.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote