Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
LakeTimes

Default Looking for Suggestion/best practice

Told my neighbor I would check on here as I recall seeing some suggestions to this in a thread from years ago, but can't seem to locate it anywhere.

Essentially over the winter the water has washed out the mortar under the cement retaining wall causing it to lean. With the high lake level and waves, it has washed out a lot of the sand from the beach. The thought was to dig the sand out on the backside of the wall and drop in cement (again temporary fix as he's not looking to spend a lot of money).

I recalled that there was a special kind of cement that comes in a bag where that you can just drop the bag in, soak with a hose and it turns into cement. The bag is some kind of biodegradable bag making it easy, quick, clean and also preventing any cement from going anywhere.

Does anyone recall this or where you can get this?

Open to other thoughts or suggestions that I can pass along. Thanks!
Attached Images

LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
DBreskin

What you’re looking for is called rip-rap cement.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Did a search for Quikrete and rip-rap, and this was first on the list; https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/riprap.asp .... by the pallet load could get discounted 30% ?

Typically, the dry bags get loaded into an old row boat and unloaded into the lake so they be staggered or interlocked like bricks in a brick wall ... have seen them used to dam up an outflow stream that raised the level of a Maine pond to where it wanted to be .... since 1973 .... staying in place for years and years .... like for 46-years in June and still holding, strong.

Is dark gray and blends good with granite boulders along the shore for natural harmony.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-26-2019 at 06:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Did a search for Quikrete and rip-rap, and this was first on the list; https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/riprap.asp .... by the pallet load could get discounted 30% ?

Typically, the dry bags get loaded into an old row boat and unloaded into the lake so they be staggered or interlocked like bricks in a brick wall ... have seen them used to dam up an outflow stream that raised the level of a Maine pond to where it wanted to be .... staying in place for years and years .... like for 40-years and still holding, strong.

Is dark gray and blends good with granite boulders along the shore for natural harmony.
Just curious - can you do this legally to fill in holes on a bank or are you supposed to get a permit?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Just curious - can you do this legally to fill in holes on a bank or are you supposed to get a permit?
Have never seen this rip rap item at a store locally, but recall reading how the 60-lb bag of concrete mix works the same, and comes in a biodegradable brown heavy paper sack ...... so's some more research is needed on this!

And, as everybody knows, it was curiosity that done killed the cat ........ meow!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Have never seen this rip rap item at a store locally, but recall reading how the 60-lb bag of concrete mix works the same, and comes in a biodegradable brown heavy paper sack ...... so's some more research is needed on this!

And, as everybody knows, it was curiosity that done killed the cat ........ meow!
But is it legal or will doing so run afoul of various shoreline/waterfront protection regulations? I'm guessing it is not, but if it is would be simple way to slow erosion on my bank.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
ApS

Arrow Inevitable...

Someone's going to come along with a bigger boat.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
LakeTimes

Yes, it’s called Rip Rap! Thanks! This forum always blows my mind with the speed and quality of answers!

Anyone know who carry’s it as lowes and Home Depot do not?

Regarding Permit: I would go with that you would need one, but that’s just my opinion. He said he does have a permit for a full wall replacement but that won’t get done this year, but needs a temporary fix.

When lake level is at its normal level, he said the bottom of the wall is above the waterline which is why he is looking for a quick fix now until replacement.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I was looking for the rip-rap cement at home (northeastern MA) and found that it “wasn’t available in your area”. I went with 60 lb bags of concrete mix. They harden the same way. I left them outside for a couple of weeks (it seemed to rain every other day) and they were hard as a rock (probably only the outer couple of inches but they will continue to harden in the water) when I placed them. I don’t recommend this as the hardened bag is more ungainly then the soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote