Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Latex Paint disposal?

I have about a dozen gallons of old latex paint I need disposal, thoughts ?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

In my town, we're told to throw kitty litter in the cans to dry them out and then toss in the regular garbage.

If any are good, another option would be to post in free section of Craigslist.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

Thanks !
I usually take the tops off, put some speedy dry or cat litter in them and let them harden. Then I throw them in the trash.
You probably should call your local dump and ask them what's required to get rid of them.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
jbolty

I usually line a wheelbarrow with some plastic or a big garbage bag and pour it in there to dry out.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Paint stores sell a product intended to harden paint for disposal. Small packets I believe, easier to store and handle than 50# bags of speedy dry.
$2.00+/-
https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Hardene...gateway&sr=8-2
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Default Paint in NH; easy to buy, difficult to dispose!

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...aint/latex.htm .... 'What Can I Do With Leftover Latex Paint?' ..... from the NH Dept of Environmental Services

Here's something I never heard about .... https://www.paintcare.org/drop-off-l...-drop-off-site .... with spots in Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, and Rhode Island plus a few other states .... click on 'How to Recycle'

Vermont: https://www.paintcare.org/paintcare-...ont/#/everyone

Vermont Brochure: https://www.paintcare.org/wp-content...t-brochure.pdf ... latex paint at 99-cents/gallon/disposal .... not too bad ... is this correct?

Maine: https://www.paintcare.org/paintcare-...ine/#/everyone

Maine Brochure: https://www.paintcare.org/wp-content...e-brochure.pdf ... latex paint at 75-cents/gallon/disposal ... not too bad ... is this correct?

Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut have recently gone to a paint and haz materials disposal system that takes the items every day. Here in New Hampshire we have a different, less user friendly system which means it just gets tossed inside a trash bag ..... down at the local transfer station ..... or into someone's dumpster, someplace?

In Sutton and Westfield, Massachusetts: www.nedt.org (all year round except for holidays) ... latex paint at 65-cents/lb or about $7.80/gallon/disposal ..... is this correct? .... is very expensive?

Say-hey: maybe NEDT could build a hazardous waste collection site that's centrally located in New Hampshire..... and it would probably be a profitable business that pays property tax, employs people, and provides a needed service. For now, the illegally tossed paint probably ends up at the giant Casella landfill up in Bethlehem, where it just gets buried.

So ...... question of the day ..... what do Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts all have ...... which New Hampshire does not have? If you said a hazardous waste collection place where you can get rid of your paint and haz items ....... you am correct.

In Plymouth NH, the www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm has quarts ($5) and gallons ($10) of donated paint for sale. Their website says "They do not accept paint or liquids from home-owners." For a while they had about 20 bright 'Pacific Blue' cans of latex swimming pool paint that lists for $75/gal, and was sold there for $10/gal ..... such a deal!

They have a lot of Ben Moore interior latex in tint bases that came from a paint store in Belmont, when it switched brands, which Rand's Hardware in Plymouth will tint and shake for something like $5/gal.

"For painting an old row boat, I just loved that Pacific Blue paint for its quality ..... even though I did not like the color .... ha-ha-ha!"

Paint in New Hampshire; easy to purchase, and very difficult to dispose any unused paint! So, how come those NH leafs get so colorful every autumn? Because people got so much left-over paint .... no way to get rid of it ..... they go paint their leafs! ..... yuckety-yuck-yuck!

If a NH resident takes their old unwanted paint cans across the border to Maine or Vermont to a local paint store, there, for disposal or recycling, are you asked to show identification like a driver's license and is there a penalty for transporting paint like this across the state line ..... if you get caught?

With no NH sales tax and no NH disposal program, more or less, that's good incentive to buy it in NH, and dispose any unused paint in VT or ME .... or stick it in someone's NH dumpster, or at the NH transfer station, inside a trash bag.

If a NH resident takes their old unwanted paint cans across the border to NEDT in Massachusetts, there, for disposal or recycling, are you asked to show identification as a Massachusetts resident?

And, when is your NH town holding their next paint swap meet ..... am willing to swap you one left-over half gallon of bright Pacific Blue latex swim pool paint, great for old row boats, for a six-pak of peanut butter, whoopie pies from LePage's Bakery in Skowhegan .... so good .... so difficult to find!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-16-2019 at 05:18 AM. Reason: .
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
The Real BigGuy

Was is the hazardous waste disposal business for years. If you add speedi dry or kitty litter you will triple the volume for disposal. If you take the top off a can to let it dry out it will take weeks, and only if you stir it. The paint Gardner you buy in stores works no better than kitty litter. The best way is proper disposal. Yes it costs a little $ but it is the right way to do it. Take a look at NEDT.org. NHDES has okayed them to take and dispose of household haz waste (including non-haz latex paint) from NH.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
camp guy

Default Latex paint disposal

I took the roughly 3-foot square plastic "pan" that goes under a washing machine, put a plastic bag liner in it, spread several layers of newspaper, poured in some latex paint, sprinkled on kitty litter, let it dry, did another layer, and kept at it until all the latex was dried up. After that, folded it up, put it in the routine trash, and took it to the dump.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Default Maine & Vermont latex paint disposal

Maine and Vermont are pretty close to New Hampshire, they are not all that far away, as you probably know. And, this is new info to me and maybe to you, too, but according to the link below, many Maine and Vermont hardware and paint stores will now take back your unwanted gallon cans of latex paint for 75-cents/gal in Maine, and 99-cents/gal in Vermont.

So, what's to keep someone in NH from taking some unwanted paint, along for the ride, next time they go to Maine or Vermont?

Maine paint stewardship program: https://www.paintcare.org/wp-content...e-brochure.pdf

Has anyone actually used this paint disposal service at a hardware store in Vermont or Maine, and how did it go? Do you need to show an ID as a Maine or Vermont resident?

So, how does it work ...... don't the Maine hardware stores wind up with a basement loaded all up with gallons and quarts of old, half empty cans of paint .... or what?

So, here's what probably happens in New Hampshire. Places like Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Irving, and many other spots have outdoor trash/litter receivers including town transfer stations and someone's dumpster and people will use them to get rid of their old, half empty cans of paint. It almost seems reasonable for the businesses that sell paint to be getting back the half empties. Wonder if this is not really legal, and just allowed to happen as the New Hampshire way for dealing with the problem with it's no say-no do policy?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-16-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Paintcare sites only accept a maximum of 5 gallons per visit and only household paint. No thinners, caulk or other hhw.

I’ve used NEDT collection center. It has no limits on volume and I’ve taken paint, thinner, pesticides, auto products, old gas, etc. they won’t take explosives, ammunition, flares, or stuff like that.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

Thanks !
www.nedt.org in Sutton or Westfield, Massachusetts will take it for 65-cents/lb and you do not have to be a Massachusetts resident. A gallon of latex paint probably weighs about 12-lbs, so that's $7.80/gal x 12= $93.60 ..... this is the Massachusetts solution to the problem ..... yikes! .... .... is expensive ...... a high price like this just encourages people to go the surreptitious disposal route down at the parking lot trash can at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart or somewhere like inside a kitchen trash bag at the local transfer station.

I am more than certain that no one reading this has ever disposed of old paint in this manner ........ correct? .....

Ok ...... who among you has committed the sin of disposing a can of latex paint by just plopping it in an outside trash can at a big box store ...... please stand up ...... and you have the right to remain silent! .....
Old 05-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
Top-Water

Good grief all this BS (below) (from above) to avoid acting responsibly. Did you you even bother to read the suggestions above.

As mentioned in this thread before you bailed out "Sometimes it takes effort to act responsibly"
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...821#post311821

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...aint/latex.htm .... 'What Can I Do With Leftover Latex Paint?' ..... from the NH Dept of Environmental Services

Here's something I never heard about .... https://www.paintcare.org/drop-off-l...-drop-off-site .... with spots in Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, and Rhode Island plus a few other states .... click on 'How to Recycle'

Vermont: https://www.paintcare.org/paintcare-...ont/#/everyone

Vermont Brochure: https://www.paintcare.org/wp-content...t-brochure.pdf ... latex paint at 99-cents/gallon/disposal .... not too bad ... is this correct?

Maine: https://www.paintcare.org/paintcare-...ine/#/everyone

Maine Brochure: https://www.paintcare.org/wp-content...e-brochure.pdf ... latex paint at 75-cents/gallon/disposal ... not too bad ... is this correct?

Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut have recently gone to a paint and haz materials disposal system that takes the items every day. Here in New Hampshire we have a different, less user friendly system which means it just gets tossed inside a trash bag ..... down at the local transfer station ..... or into someone's dumpster, someplace?

In Sutton and Westfield, Massachusetts: www.nedt.org (all year round except for holidays) ... latex paint at 65-cents/lb or about $7.80/gallon/disposal ..... is this correct? .... is very expensive?

Say-hey: maybe NEDT could build a hazardous waste collection site that's centrally located in New Hampshire..... and it would probably be a profitable business that pays property tax, employs people, and provides a needed service. For now, the illegally tossed paint probably ends up at the giant Casella landfill up in Bethlehem, where it just gets buried.

So ...... question of the day ..... what do Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts all have ...... which New Hampshire does not have? If you said a hazardous waste collection place where you can get rid of your paint and haz items ....... you am correct.

In Plymouth NH, the www.pemivalleyhabitat.org/restore.htm has quarts ($5) and gallons ($10) of donated paint for sale. Their website says "They do not accept paint or liquids from home-owners." For a while they had about 20 bright 'Pacific Blue' cans of latex swimming pool paint that lists for $75/gal, and was sold there for $10/gal ..... such a deal!

They have a lot of Ben Moore interior latex in tint bases that came from a paint store in Belmont, when it switched brands, which Rand's Hardware in Plymouth will tint and shake for something like $5/gal.

"For painting an old row boat, I just loved that Pacific Blue paint for its quality ..... even though I did not like the color .... ha-ha-ha!"

Paint in New Hampshire; easy to purchase, and very difficult to dispose any unused paint! So, how come those NH leafs get so colorful every autumn? Because people got so much left-over paint .... no way to get rid of it ..... they go paint their leafs! ..... yuckety-yuck-yuck!

If a NH resident takes their old unwanted paint cans across the border to Maine or Vermont to a local paint store, there, for disposal or recycling, are you asked to show identification like a driver's license and is there a penalty for transporting paint like this across the state line ..... if you get caught?

With no NH sales tax and no NH disposal program, more or less, that's good incentive to buy it in NH, and dispose any unused paint in VT or ME .... or stick it in someone's NH dumpster, or at the NH transfer station, inside a trash bag.

If a NH resident takes their old unwanted paint cans across the border to NEDT in Massachusetts, there, for disposal or recycling, are you asked to show identification as a Massachusetts resident?

And, when is your NH town holding their next paint swap meet ..... am willing to swap you one left-over half gallon of bright Pacific Blue latex swim pool paint, great for old row boats, for a six-pak of peanut butter, whoopie pies from LePage's Bakery in Skowhegan .... so good .... so difficult to find!

Quote:
Maine and Vermont are pretty close to New Hampshire, they are not all that far away, as you probably know. And, this is new info to me and maybe to you, too, but according to the link below, many Maine and Vermont hardware and paint stores will now take back your unwanted gallon cans of latex paint for 75-cents/gal in Maine, and 99-cents/gal in Vermont.

So, what's to keep someone in NH from taking some unwanted paint, along for the ride, next time they go to Maine or Vermont?

Maine paint stewardship program: https://www.paintcare.org/wp-content...e-brochure.pdf

Has anyone actually used this paint disposal service at a hardware store in Vermont or Maine, and how did it go? Do you need to show an ID as a Maine or Vermont resident?

So, how does it work ...... don't the Maine hardware stores wind up with a basement loaded all up with gallons and quarts of old, half empty cans of paint .... or what?

So, here's what probably happens in New Hampshire. Places like Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Irving, and many other spots have outdoor trash/litter receivers including town transfer stations and someone's dumpster and people will use them to get rid of their old, half empty cans of paint. It almost seems reasonable for the businesses that sell paint to be getting back the half empties. Wonder if this is not really legal, and just allowed to happen as the New Hampshire way for dealing with the problem with it's no say-no do policy?
Quote:
www.nedt.org in Sutton or Westfield, Massachusetts will take it for 65-cents/lb and you do not have to be a Massachusetts resident. A gallon of latex paint probably weighs about 12-lbs, so that's $7.80/gal x 12= $93.60 ..... this is the Massachusetts solution to the problem ..... yikes! .... .... is expensive ...... a high price like this just encourages people to go the surreptitious disposal route down at the parking lot trash can at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart or somewhere like inside a kitchen trash bag at the local transfer station.

I am more than certain that no one reading this has ever disposed of old paint in this manner ........ correct? .....

Ok ...... who among you has committed the sin of disposing a can of latex paint by just plopping it in an outside trash can at a big box store ...... please stand up ...... and you have the right to remain silent! .....
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
fatlazyless

So ....., Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island and a few other states have voted to go with PaintCare.org ..... and Massachusetts has decided to go with the very pricey NEDT.org ..... and New Hampshire is stick'n with its' local transfer station disposal program that is held for one morning in August with a limit of 50-lbs of paint, or 4-gals per car.

In Maine, the PaintCare program includes a fee of about 35-cents/quart, and 75-cents/gal to fund the state wide program. In Vermont it's 99-cents/gal.

So, how well is the New Hampshire program working?
Old 05-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
Top-Water

NHDES

Latex Paint
Identification and Disposal

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...aint/latex.htm

For many it might be working ok. Unless your promoting illegal dumping of something that is your responsibly. Would you dump it on your own property without treating it to be safe. What makes you think that disposing of it improperly or illegally is ok. Others gave you suggestions above.

Please explain.

I have a large big screen tv to get rid of in my home town. $25.00 to get rid of it last time I checked. Maybe more than your paint. Can I dump it at your home? or should I dump it at wal-mart. Never mind, don't answer. I know what not to do.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
fatlazyless

Tires, motor oil and oil filters all get recycled or disposed pretty good in Meredith and the lakes region, but for paint the disposal method needs to be improved to the same level. The current paint disposal system in New Hampshire is way behind what is done in Maine, Vermont and Rhode Island.

The PaintCare website says that 780-mil gals of paint get sold each year in the U.S. and that 10% or 78-mil gals is left over and unused. From what I know about painting, 10% seems like a low estimate to me.

So, there is a lot of room for improving the New Hampshire paint disposal to bring it up to the same level as the NH system for tires, oil and oil filters disposal.

Yes, the NH-DES website suggests having a paint swap as a way to recycle paint, where people get to trade a can of paint for something of value.

Ok ..... here goes ...... will trade one half gal of bright Pacific Blue latex swim pool paint, good for painting an old row boat, for a six-pak of peanut butter whoopie pies from LePages Bakery in Skowhegan, Maine ...... any takers on-board here? ... ..... that's the NH way, and it needs to be improved.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
ApS

Lightbulb Re-Purposing Latex Paint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I took the roughly 3-foot square plastic "pan" that goes under a washing machine, put a plastic bag liner in it, spread several layers of newspaper, poured in some latex paint, sprinkled on kitty litter, let it dry, did another layer, and kept at it until all the latex was dried up. After that, folded it up, put it in the routine trash, and took it to the dump.
After Hurricane Irma, there were plenty of gallon cans of latex paint washed up everywhere around my little neighborhood.

After covering my missing garage door with "hurricane acquired" ¾-inch roofing plywood, I mixed a bunch of remaining latex colors together, and rolled much of it on both sides and edges. Later, was inspired to give them two coats. Not surprisingly, the colors were a good match for the neighborhood, and I have many partial gallons to spare.

Needing to use those near-indestructible plastic gallon cans for gathering my scattered garage contents, I poured out some too-bright colors into bowls, and left them in the sun to dry out. Examining them after they'd fully dried, I discovered the dried latex paint made some rubbery, but very tough, circular objects.

If I'd thought ahead to pour out four identical bowls, I'd have some very tough engine mounts or some colorful hockey pucks. However, they might have worked better to quiet or isolate the vibrations from clothes driers or washing machines.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Yes ..... well.. letting the paint dry so it gets transformed from a hazardous waste liquid into a non-haz dry solid that can be disposed at the transfer station is something I have never done. I am not looking forward to using that method ..... probably the Florida sun has way more drying power than the NH sun.

Maybe it can get baked and dried out in the kitchen oven?

Drying needs to be considered and could be there's something like a low, flat, plastic container that is particularly good for drying on a sunny, warm, dry NH day?

So, what's the process used by PaintCare for disposing their large volume of wet paint? I wonder what they do with it ..... do they go find a large bridge, barn or a large wall .... that needs a new do?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
The Real BigGuy

Yes, it cost $$ in MA to get rid of unused paint, electronics & chemicals but let me ask you, who should pay for the disposal? The buyers or the rest of his/her community. Does anyone think that local “hazardous waste days” are free? Your taxes pay for it. The “set up” fee for most disposal companies STARTS at $5,000, and that is before paying for disposal costs. Do you think “Paintcare” is no cost? The manufacturers cover their cost by across the board price increases so those who buy a quart when that’s all they need pay for the guy who buys a gallon when he needs a quart. Do you think it really costs less than $25 (disposal companies need to make a profit) to dispose of a TV? I know it doesn’t. So, who is subsidizing it? The good fairy? Do you really want your tax $ going to pay for this type of disposal instead of roads, schools, etc?

When you buy new tires you pay for the disposal of your old ones. When you get an oil change or tune up you pay a “disposal” charge for old oil & materials.

The good thing about the NEDTs of the world is they remind you that there is an actual cost for the disposal of your waste and that you should “buy only what you need”, not bulk because it is cheaper. If you do choose bulk, you will pay to get rid of the balance.

And by the way, it is my experience after 30+ years in the disposal business that maybe 2 out of 10 people actually dry out latex paint before throwing it in the trash. The others just create a mess!

Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Here in New Hampshire, there is no NEDT and no PaintCare. Massachusetts has NEDT, and Maine, Vermont, Connecticut and Rhode Island have PaintCare.

New Hampshire has the parking lot trash can at your local big box store, where the paint was purchased ........ no, wait ..... NH has the paint swap system, where you take your old paint down to the local store and trade it off for some nails or groceries or ..... new horse shoes for the horse from the horse shoe-er. ....... Can I git mah horse a new set of shoes in exchange for thiisy here can of paint, sir? ......

....... or, being more 2019 here ..... maybe the local car repair will replace all four tires on your car in exchange for some old paint!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-20-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #20
TheRoBoat

Default maybe 2 out of 10 people actually dry out latex paint before throwing it in the trash

While I understand the resistance to taxes, this is the type of statistic that should make everyone nervous.
TheRoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote