Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Screen Barrier under shed ?

I just finished building a new shed. The shed sits about 6-8" above ground.
Now I'm presented with having to construct a screen barrier under the shed,
to prevent, skunks, gophers and the like from moving in to take residence !
Also concerned about bees and wasps from building nests.

I was thinking of placing 1/4" garden screen between bottom of shed and ground, however, not sure how to anchor the screen against the ground ?

Thoughts?

THANKS!!!!!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Hillcountry

I had the same thing with my shed...6-8" space under.
I used 3/4 stone and shoved what I could under and then built the stone up to the bottom (with a rake)
So far no critters have tried to get under but I'm sure a determined one could. Not sure it the stone is a deterrent but seems to be working. It would be easy to see if something was going under as the stone would be dug out.
With screen I believe unless you put a barrier under ground that extends at least a foot beneath grade, anything would easily dig under it. Critters are a determined bunch when they want to get under something!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

I probably wouldn't bother. As I walk around the island, I don't see many places that have barriers to access under the camp/sheds. Our camp and two outbuildings are all on piers, open to the world except for trim lattice on the front. Bees, etc tend to build in the eaves, not under the building. The problems we've had were with tiny critters, mice, chipmunks that find ways in at higher levels, like a little crack around a door or window when the building settles. Unheated buildings tend to not be well sealed.
You can buy either plastic or pressure treated 2" lattice, staple screen to it and install to cover the 8" gap, maybe with a few inches dug into the ground if you like. This will look better than 1/4" hardware cloth and being rigid should be easier to work with.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Here's a different method; cut off a section from an old cotton towel, soak it in gasoline, and place under the shed. Most all animals are repelled by the smell of gasoline.

While the gasoline quickly dries up, there's enough smell that remains which seems to work for a month, or so.

Is useful for evicting problem visitors like snakes and skunks from under the firewood storage shed, or someplace.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
chasedawg

Default smell of gasoline fumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a different method; cut off a section from an old cotton towel, soak it in gasoline, and place under the shed. Most all animals are repelled by the smell of gasoline.

While the gasoline quickly dries up, there's enough smell that remains which seems to work for a month, or so.

Is useful for evicting problem visitors like snakes and skunks from under the firewood storage shed, or someplace.
Sorry you have gone off track again. I had some faith you in with the precaution about the Dive and gas fumes at the dock but not with this suggestion.

FLL do you know that 4 ounces of gas fumes would totally blow a house apart. Just ask the poor people in the Lawrence MA area.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2019, 05:15 AM   #6
The Real BigGuy

Different “gas”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

FLL you are stuck on gas today aren't you....

Is just going to be a re-occuring theme, after the concern over the Dive and its proximity to the gas dock.

AT least your not talking about the gas that builds up in ones body over time, that can have some explosive qualities.... Or how about that white gas you can get at that favorite place of your Walmart...

NO to get back on track, really all one needs is some moth balls, the work great at repelling most creatures... A box or two under a shed will take care of most problems... Best part is you can get them at Walmart.

Then no one is worried about anything going boom in the night... and Walmart gets to make some money....

All right that enough or people are going to think I know FLL or something...