Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
chris410

Default Covered Porch on deck permissions

Morning all,

I am on a smaller lake, not on winni, but I figured you guys would be the best audience to ask as I am sure some of you may have been down this road before. I tried the state website and their shoreland permit page just confused me.

Essentially what I have is a very large deck off the front of my house (36'x8') (part of it was grandfathered in to the 50' setback.) There is a 12'x8' section that has a roof over it. I am looking to extend that covered section so it is a little larger (22'x8'), screen it in, as well as adjust the pitch of the roof so the snow slides off it better.

Does a deck constitute as an impervious surface?

Would I need to pull a shoreline permit to do this? All work would be on top of an existing deck, the new covered screened porch would be seasonal and this part of the porch would not be within 50' of the water.

*Cliff notes, I want to extend my covered porch over my existing deck, do I need a shoreland permit?

Last edited by chris410; 07-23-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: more detail
chris410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Roof extension?

Sounds like adding roof, changing pitch etc gets into the office of the local building official. Will the roof extend into the setback? Does this in some way affect where the water runoff from the new roof will end up?
Calling your building official and calling DES, will get better information than the speculation that often shows up here when we don't have all the info. Call the local guy first. If you have to get a wetlands permit, that application will often go to the locals before DES signs off.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Onshore

Go to the current rules here: https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...env-wq1400.pdf

Go to page 13 and read Env-Wq 1406.04, (c), (3). When reading this and thinking about your project please keep in mind that the new footprint will be defined by the extension of the eaves. This will likely need to affect your design. You can also consider using the Shoreland Permit by Notification if extending the eaves and increasing the footprint a little is necessary. The PBN can't be used to expand living space in the water front buffer but it can be used for the construction of a deck or open porch as allowed under RSA 483-B:11.

D. Forst
Shoreland Section Supervisor
NHDES Land Resource Management Programs
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-23-2019)