Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Deck Sanding & Refinishing

Looking to have 20 year old deck redone. Needs sanding and refinishing that will withstand sun and weather. Refinished floor at VK looks great and perhaps Bob J. will offer a reference.

Thanks
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default Don't we all...

I'm in the process of doing this now, myself.

My current problem is the weather....

Go to Middletons, Meredith, and ask them for recommendations.

I was having thoughts of a floor sander...You know the big ones you rent?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Weather is a problem. But, before you sand it what do you want it to look like after it is done. That determines the task at hand

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
fatlazyless

For about $37.16 you can get a gallon of Rustoleum deck restorer, which is 20-times thicker than paint. It covers and hides the old surface, and gives it a new do without sanding. Gray or grey is usually the best color for outside decks and docks. What I need to do here ..... to hit the deck with this stuff ..... am too lazy to sand, prime and paint.

Question: So, what's an environmentally safe, easy and legal way to get rid of left over, latex paint?

Answer: Plop the old can into the trash receptacle just outside the door at Lowe's in Gilford. Does this happen and is this legal?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For about $37.16 you can get a gallon of Rustoleum deck restorer, which is 20-times thicker than paint. It covers and hides the old surface, and gives it a new do without sanding. Gray or grey is usually the best color for outside decks and docks. What I need to do here ..... to hit the deck with this stuff ..... am too lazy to sand, prime and paint.

Question: So, what's an environmentally safe, easy and legal way to get rid of left over, latex paint?

Answer: Plop the old can into the trash receptacle just outside the door at Lowe's in Gilford. Does this happen and is this legal?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned in this thread consider the more responsible approach.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...tifreeze+trash

Post 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Or, instead of being a dick, you could go talk to the guys at the gas station when you are buying gas and they might just take it off your hands for free if they like you, or a small fee if they don't.

--------------------------------------------------------
I suspect you already knew the responsible answer to your own question.
https://www.meredithnh.org/solid-waste-facility
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Here in the lakes region, both antifreeze and latex paint are very difficult to get disposed here in a way that is clean, safe and legal?

The Meredith transfer station is good taking motor oil, and oil filters, but antifreeze and latex paint is pretty much impossible to dispose in an environmentally good way.

On the one day in the first week of August, when they take old paint at the Meredith transfer station it is limited to 2-3 gallons per car, and there can be a one hour wait to get through the long line of cars, as they inch forward, and around, and through the process.

Maine and Vermont and Rhode Island have a www.paintcare.org service ...... New Hampshire should have it too, but it does not.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
Top-Water

Quote:
Here in the lakes region, both antifreeze and latex paint are very difficult to get disposed here in a way that is clean, safe and legal?

The Meredith transfer station is good taking motor oil, and oil filters, but antifreeze and latex paint is pretty much impossible to dispose in an environmentally good way.

On the one day in the first week of August, when they take old paint at the Meredith transfer station it is limited to 2-3 gallons per car, and there can be a one hour wait to get through the long line of cars, as they inch forward, and around, and through the process.

Maine and Vermont and Rhode Island have a www.paintcare.org service ...... New Hampshire should have it too, but it does not.
Sometimes being responsible takes effort on your part. Rather than shoving it up someone else's a$$.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
garysanfran

Default A guy at the Meredith transfer station...

Told me to fill half empty cans with sand and throw them into the trash.

I didn't.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
fatlazyless

I suspect the first thing the PaintCare drop-off service does in Maine or Vermont is to ask for a state ID ...... so only people from Maine or Vermont can use their disposal service.

Hellooooo New Hampshire legislature ...... any chance for joining up with www.paintcare.org?

By not having a service like PaintCare, it ends up with people disposing their old paint into a semi-public trash can, such as at Lowe's, Home depot, Walmart, Irving Gas, or a private dumpster, or the town transfer station. Most everyone wants to do the correct thing with their left-over haz waste, and the existing NH system does not work good because it works to encourage people to dispose into retail trash.

If PaintCare is happening in Maine, Vermont, and Rhode Island, then it should probably happen in New Hampshire, too.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
Top-Water

Quote:
I suspect the first thing the PaintCare drop-off service does in Maine or Vermont is to ask for a state ID ...... so only people from Maine or Vermont can use their disposal service.

Hellooooo New Hampshire legislature ...... any chance for joining up with www.paintcare.org?

By not having a service like PaintCare, it ends up with people disposing their old paint into a semi-public trash can, such as at Lowe's, Home depot, Walmart, Irving Gas, or a private dumpster, or the town transfer station. Most everyone wants to do the correct thing with their left-over haz waste, and the existing NH system does not work good because it works to encourage people to dispose into retail trash.
Sorry no excuse for acting irresponsibly.

"NH system does not work good because it works to encourage people to dispose into retail trash."

Really fact or fiction ........ or your own twisted sense of reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Deck restorer not an option . Sanding is necessary since there are loose pieces of previous coatings.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
marcucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Deck restorer not an option
We are in the process of doing the same and I uncovered that the deck restorer mentioned earlier is a rebrand of a product that has an ongoing class action lawsuit and both have bad reviews. People report peeling after 1 year in cold climates and because it's so thick you have to sand-blast to remove it if you decide to go back to paint/stain.

One source: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/class-...-deck-restore/

We haven't decided yet what we are going to use...
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcucci View Post
We are in the process of doing the same and I uncovered that the deck restorer mentioned earlier is a rebrand of a product that has an ongoing class action lawsuit and both have bad reviews. People report peeling after 1 year in cold climates and because it's so thick you have to sand-blast to remove it if you decide to go back to paint/stain.

One source: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/class-...-deck-restore/

We haven't decided yet what we are going to use...
Tried the deck restorer and it was a disaster Was able to get refund for material but now have to start all over. Thanks for link to new product.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I read nothing but bad things about deck restore paint but my front porch was so bad I figured for $30 I'd give it a try anyway. It looked good for all last summer but as soon as I put the snow shovel to it, it all started pealing off.
Now it looks worse than it did before. Oh well, it needs replacing anyway.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
WinnisquamZ

The deck restorer products are marketed as a last resort. Gives you a year or two before replacing boards. Unsure were people thought deferent.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
The deck restorer products are marketed as a last resort. Gives you a year or two before replacing boards. Unsure were people thought deferent.

I would think in a warmer climate where you don't have to put a shovel to it, it would probably hold up well.
Once you break the seal then water gets under the remaining paint and it starts to all lift off.
I have a section of my porch that is covered and doesn't require snow shoveling and that held up well.
But it's not a real solution, it's just a band aid to cover up a needed repair.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
garysanfran

Default Benjamin Moore Arborcoat...

I have used this redwood colored solid stain for a few years and every year I am having the same problems mentioned with the Rustoleum product. The stuff doesn't stick but peels off in sheets and it's wet underneath. On another deck the stuff chipped off. I've been sanding and scraping for 4 weeks. I never want to do this again.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #18
WinnisquamZ

Type of wood? How far off the ground is the deck? Does it peel to the substrate(wood)

Old 05-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #19
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Type of wood? How far off the ground is the deck? Does it peel to the substrate(wood)

Douglas fir. 10' off the ground. Peels to bare wood and it's wet. Maybe 3-4 existing coats from prior years. Faces south. Not occupied during the winter.

After a heavy rain and then sun, I notice bubbles. The wood is wet under after I scrape them.

Another portion, that doesn't get as much sun, seems to have no problems.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
WinnisquamZ

Douglas fir is a softwood that holds moisture. If it’s peeling is sheets to the bare wood you will need to strip it down and let it dry. A moisture meter might help you. Then I will use a good quality solid stain if you prefer that look. I like a semi solid oil myself

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (05-22-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #21
Denny Crane

Default Deck Stains

Any film forming product such as a solid stain or paint on a horizontal surface such as a deck, railing, or fence will peel over time. Over time the number of layers that build up and the weight of the product will become inflexible and lift. If you have solid stain you are stuck, unless you want to strip it down to bare. Behr makes a pretty good deck stripper that you apply with a pump sprayer then a strong wash with a powerwasher. It's worked well on floors but it might be too much work to do railings. A clear or semitransparent will not peel, but it's good for only 2-3 years. UV light kills semitransparent stains, but at least it won't peel. One exception though. Sikkens makes a nice SDR stain that I use on my PT deck and fence, however it has a slight sheen after a number of year applying and flakes. Eventually I needed to use the Behr stripper and sand the floor with an orbital sander. Bottom line, every solid product will peel, so if you have a choice while it is still bare, pick a semi or semi solid product.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny Crane For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (05-23-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #22
garysanfran

Default Letting the wood "dry"...

How does anything "dry" here?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
Hillcountry

We used a “restore” product on our deck a few seasons ago. As expected, the part of the deck the deck that gets full sun along with being the high traffic area that gets vigorously, shoveled, snowblower, etc. has deteriorated slightly but not to the point of being ruined. The covered porch part looks as good as when we rolled the product on. The deck is 15 years old and a board here and there is slowly rotting and we have replaced a half dozen of the 2x6 boards. Next step will be either full floor replacement (if the substructure is still good).
Looking at a synthetic product for the re-do. Not sure what yet.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
bkelly13

Default Deck Restoring

Chip @ Island Support did a miraculous job restoring our deck and deck furniture.. Labor intensive and not cheap but worth it.
bkelly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #25
garysanfran

Default Penofin Penetrating Oil...Opinions?

Brazilian Rosewood Oil, Transparent tone...

On the horizontal surface of a deck.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff recommended by the folks at Middleton's? My research says it tends to turn black. Would that be mildew?

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #26
WinnisquamZ

All the oil transparents will turn darker over a year or two. Yes, I believe it is. If you want to keep the wood look just a bit of color, try a product called Defy. It is a water based stain. Gets good reviews.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
Loub52

Default Hazmat disposal

NH DES hangs a link off their site regarding hazmat disposal: https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...hhwp/index.htm

Under the “Hot Topics” section, Residential hazmat collection schedules and locations are posted for 2017-2018...while the info is dated, there are a number of valid links and contact phone numbers listed. Here’s a link to an upcoming lakes region collection: https://www.lakesrpc.org/serviceshhw.asp

I’ve personally used the Nashua hazmat drop off location. For $20 (cash-only) you can drop various types of hazmat including antifreeze, deck wash and a number of other nasty things that your local transfer station won’t accept. When I used Nashua most recently, I embarrassingly didn’t have enough cash, but they took my hazmat anyway and gave me a pre-addressed return envelope to send my fee in after the fact.