Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
tummyman

Default Professional Engineer Recommendations

We are looking for recommendations of a Professional Engineer to evaluate, design, and issue a stamped plan for a new structural beam to replace an existing wall that we may remove. It is a fairly simple project...we plan to remove a load bearing wall and put up a structural beam. But we know the town will require an engineer analysis and we want to make sure the correct beam is selected based on loadings. An engineer locally that can work with a homeowner would be most desirable. Project location is in Moultonborough.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
We are looking for recommendations of a Professional Engineer to evaluate, design, and issue a stamped plan for a new structural beam to replace an existing wall that we may remove. It is a fairly simple project...we plan to remove a load bearing wall and put up a structural beam. But we know the town will require an engineer analysis and we want to make sure the correct beam is selected based on loadings. An engineer locally that can work with a homeowner would be most desirable. Project location is in Moultonborough.
I believe Cohen Steel in Concord offers this service as they did it for me years ago in a prior home. They will also sell you the beam required cheaper than any place else around.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I have used Fluet in Laconia next door to Fratellis.

Name:  IMG_5479.JPG
Views: 984
Size:  101.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
your contractor should know that we have an engineer in Middleton Lumber that can provide spec sheets for the building inspector we have done two of these projects this year both in basements eliminating lolly colums. good luck hope this helps
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
tummyman

Since I think we will need a steel beam....due to length as well as height limitations, Middleton may not be interested as I suspect they may be only interestedin wood glulam type beams. Will stop in and check them later this week. Called Cohen based on prior response, but they do not do this anymore and had no recommendations. As a result, we are still looking for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
tummyman

Still looking.....any other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
sky's

your contractor hopefully local? has a representative at Middleton Lumber that can spec out the beam. steel or laminate. my company has done two already this year using a steel beam most recent was 30' long. good luck
Old 05-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

My company uses this engineering firm for structural calcs.

https://www.emanuelengineering.com/

Be advised however, that in my opinion, this is way overkill for what you need done and honestly what Sky says above is the way to go if possible.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
your contractor hopefully local? has a representative at Middleton Lumber that can spec out the beam. steel or laminate. my company has done two already this year using a steel beam most recent was 30' long. good luck
THANK YOU.....based on your suggestion, we just went over to Middleton Supply and met with their folks. They did the calculations for me and we now have a preliminary beam design. Took less than 20 minutes. Next stop will be local building inspector next week to ensure he will accept their information. If so, we are on track perfectly, as once we know that the beam is, we can work on how the interior finishing will happen, plus start to line up help to move the beam into place. Looks like it will weigh some 660 lbs. Project will happen after Labor Day. So, a big shout out THANK YOU to "Sky's" !! Really appreciate your helpful suggestion. Will keep you posted as to how I make out with the building inspector.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
sky's

awesome news if you need any other pointers on site i live in Moultonborough. glad we could help