Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Need a painter for island work

Looking to have our log home pressure washed and stained this spring. Looking for someone that can handle transporting themselves to and from as I cannot be there (I can provide a boat if needed). I am familiar with the normal island service companies but they are usually pretty booked out.

Is Chris Leighton still around? He was someone I have used before but the number I have is no good.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Major

Default Forrest Noe & Sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Looking to have our log home pressure washed and stained this spring. Looking for someone that can handle transporting themselves to and from as I cannot be there (I can provide a boat if needed). I am familiar with the normal island service companies but they are usually pretty booked out.

Is Chris Leighton still around? He was someone I have used before but the number I have is no good.
Call Sean at Forrest Noe & Sons. They are the best painters in the area, and have worked on many island homes. Sean can be reached at 455-8370.

Good luck!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
fatlazyless

For a little less than $150, you can get a Hyper Tough 1800 electric power washer on a two wheel dolly at Walmart, and go do it yourself.

For about $22/gal for solid or semi-transparent stain ..... ditto that again ..... at Walmart.

Walmart actually has unbelievably good paint and stain and power washers.

Seems like half the time, the summer weather is just no good for painting outdoors ...... too damp, too rainy, too hot, too humid, too something!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
WinniWorkers

Default need a painter for island work

My company is newer but we service the islands. Our company name is Fair Trade Home Solutions and our number is 603-757-6618. You can check us out on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/FairTradeHomeSolutions/

We are coming up on our second season but we are bonded and insured and stand by our work. Give us a call at 603-757-6618 if you want to talk.

Best,
Amanda Kasilowski
WinniWorkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Arrow Valspar Exterior Primer - $22.48

For exterior primer, go with Lowe's Valspar Exterior Primer ...... $22.48/gal .... made only in white .... for use under most all colors is good move to get it tinted medium gray by telling the Lowe's paint mixer to add two ounces of black pigment to the gallon and shake, to make it gray ..... and you will be a happy painter .... just have to wait for some good painting weather.

After doing a little research, the Hyper Tough 1800 - $145 pressure washer gets a number of bad reviews saying it feels under powered for an 1800, so probably is better to go with a Karcher pressure washer. I have a small $90 Karcher or so, which has been surprisingly good and durable and goes and goes with the winter storage lube. Karcher makes a 1900 pressure washer that looks like the real deal for about $165, if you can find one for sale on Ebay or somewhere, cause sometimes it sells for a lot more.

You know that REAL ISLANDERS do not hire painters .....they paint it themselves ...... isn't that right!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
welch-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For a little less than $150, you can get a Hyper Tough 1800 electric power washer on a two wheel dolly at Walmart, and go do it yourself.

For about $22/gal for solid or semi-transparent stain ..... ditto that again ..... at Walmart.

Walmart actually has unbelievably good paint and stain and power washers.

Seems like half the time, the summer weather is just no good for painting outdoors ...... too damp, too rainy, too hot, too humid, too something!
I agree. I'd also get an airless sprayer to get the stain onto the house (instead of dipping a brush in a bucket over and over), then follow along with a brush to even the stain out. A big time saver. That's what most contractors would use. Just my $.02.

Having said that I understand that not everyone is cut out for doing this work themselves.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
Woody38

My solution for applying stain is to use a roller, 5" works good. Then you can go over with a brush if desired. Although I never use a brush. May depend on how much stain is applied, or if a solid stain.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
codeman671

I don't have the kind of spare time to do it myself, nor be up in the area multiple days to get people back and forth if they are not equipped to get themselves there (unless they were doing it on the weekends).
Old 01-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
fatlazyless

As far as I know a sprayer like the Wagner Stain Sprayer 150, list price $59, only works with oil based stains, and then you use paint thinner to clean it out. It will not work with the gallon of latex semi-transparent or solid stain that usually goes on with a brush or roller. Sprayers usually make a big big mess? Paint thinner is smelly, and a serious fire hazard, almost like gasoline. Breathing the fumes makes you sick.

To spray the outside of a house with a sprayer, it needs to be the much more expensive, commercial paint sprayer that sets on top of either a gallon, or 5-gal bucket, and you need to know what you are doing.

Something about the thickness of latex stain will clog up a Wagner Stain Sprayer 150.

For better results I got the 5-dollar grip handle, marked down to $2.50, that attaches to the top of Rustoleum spray cans, and just go with that except it is not stain, it is paint.

By the way, as of yesterday, the Plymouth Walmart had two of these $59 sprayers marked down to $25, on a mark down, clearance type sale close to paint area.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
Have you asked one of the island support companies like ISS? It sounds like you really need a painting contractor with their own boat. I'm sure ISS would do a good job as long as they clean & prep the surface properly. Not sure if the painters mentioned here previously have a boat. Getting contractors out to an island is always challenging. Especially given the weather dependent nature of house painting.
I am in touch with Chip as well. Its not a hard job, just more time consuming than I can take on myself. Forrest Noe is booked out until fall.

ISS built our place, so I always like to give them first shot.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Major

Quote:
Forrest Noe is booked out until fall.
Codeman, I sent you a PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
codeman671

We potentially have 2 to 3 properties on the same island that all need staining this summer, so it could be a nice package for someone.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
codeman671

Still shopping this. Any new suggestions?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Pics and ladder requirements may help

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ..... so, what's up with tomorrow's paintability rating?

Has anyone else noticed there's been almost no good weather days for painting outside, lately. And yesterday, Thursday May 9 2019 was like the one and only day that was both warm and dry enough for exterior painting since about the second week of November 2018.

This weekend is looking like it may be ok to paint? What we need is a day to day, paintability index number that rates each day 24-hours in advance on a 1-5 rating scale, with 5 being the best, just so's we have an historical record for paintability. And then, people can point to the un-paintability rating as the reason why it never got painted!

So sorry ..... no way to paint today ..... is too humid ..... or too cold ..... or too windy ..... paint will nevah dry, today. Is always good to have an excuse!

Cheersfor some good painting weather, here. I need to get frigg'n painting ..... and go slap some paint on the frigg'n old cottage ..... slap-slap-slap ...... paint!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
Major

Quote:
Still shopping this. Any new suggestions?
I tried to put in a good word for you with Sean, but they were booked with outside work until July/August at that time. He's trying to get through the work they promised this winter. Sorry!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #17
Bernie Girl

Default island painter

in 2017 we had Mike's Winnipesaukee Island Services https://www.winnipesaukeeislands.com power wash, stain the cedar siding & paint the trim at our island home. They were easy to work with and did an incredible job. They provide their own transportation to and from the island. They also replaced the screens on several doors and porch windows. Site was cleaned up each time they left, very professional while working - no loud music. I would highly recommend them.
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote