Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Barber Pole no wake zone hearing

I don't have a dog in this fight, but just a little something to think about.
Several years ago, many of our neighbors partitioned the state to make our bay a no wake zone. They had all the complaints that Barber Pole folks have....erosion, noise big wakes....and, of course, safety.
Some of us were against it but our numbers were too small and the bill was passed.
Fast forward to 2011
We can no longer ski from our beaches and docks or enjoy any water sports in front of our homes but that is not the biggest concern.
We are sheltered from the wind and don't get much natural wave action and the boat wakes kept the beaches clean as well as preventing mossy buildup on rocks, pilings and toys.
Now, the sandy bottom gets covered with silt and has to be cleaned weekly. All of the rocks, dock ladders, pilings etc have a slimy coating that was never there before. Vegetation is springing up everywhere because lack of water movement allows silt to settle. We never before had many turtles, watersnakes, frogs and leeches......all critters associated with still water.....but we have them now. Also, it seems as though the crawfish have disappeared.
Don't know which side of the issue you are on, but something to think about.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Good Points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight,but just a little something to think about.
Several years ago,many of our neighbors partitioned the state to make our bay a no wake zone.They had all the complaints that Barber Pole folks have....erosion,noise big wakes....and, of course,safety.
Some of us were against it but our numbers were too small and the bill was passed.
Fast foward to 2011
We can no longer ski from our beaches and docks or enjoy any water sports in front of our homes but that is not the biggest concern.
We are sheltered from the wind and don't get much natural wave action and the boat wakes kept the beaches clean as well as preventing mossy buildup on rocks,pilings and toys.
Now,the sandy bottom gets covered with silt and has to be cleaned weekly.All of the rocks,dock ladders,pilings etc have a slimy coating that was never there before.Vegetation is springing up everywhere because lack of water movement allows silt to settle.We never before had many turtles,watersnakes,frogs and leeches......all critters associated with still water.....but we have them now.Also,it seems as though the crawfish have disappeared.
Don't know which side of the issue you are on,but something to think about.
Sam;

That is an excellent perspective that people should think about when involving themselves in this issue.

For the 1 1/2 days per week during a three month period when this particular area is affected by boat waves, I personally feel it is not warranted.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 06-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Sam;

That is an excellent perspective that people should think about when involving themselves in this issue.

For the 1 1/2 days per week during a three month period where this particular area is affected by boat waves, I personally feel it is not warranted.

Dan
Dan,

I was out at HN's place on Cow on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It was busy but with the exception of 2 minor (75' or so) safe passage violations and one boat on the wrong side of the marker, it was clear that a NWZ was not needed.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Dan,

I was out at HN's place on Cow on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It was busy but with the exception of 2 minor (75' or so) safe passage violations and one boat on the wrong side of the marker, it was clear that a NWZ was not needed.
I couldn't agree more Vita. I know a few people on cow all of whom are against this NWZ. I thought the majority spoke quite clearly last time this was brought up. I am surprised it is actually being brought up again considering how many were against it...

Dan
Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
ApS

Wink Mr. Bean:

Quote:
Dan,

The Barber's Pole is such a constricted spot, how could a "safe passage violation" be anything greater than 75-or-so feet?

But try anchoring a boat there, and checking out the violations—then!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
VitaBene

Default Why anchor there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
The Barber's Pole is such a constricted spot, how could a "safe passage violation" be anything greater than 75-or-so feet?

Why would one anchor a boat in the middle of a channel such as that? It is an unlikely place to raft with friends, or to dive from.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
ApS

Question Why Does Adjacent Chases Island have a NWZ ?

Quote:
Why would one anchor a boat in the middle of a channel such as that? It is an unlikely place to raft with friends, or to dive from.
1) That the B.P. channel is too constricted: Isn't that the point ?

2) Boaters unfamiliar with BP's reputation would anchor to go exploring with a snorkel—or diving—or to fish the boulders in the channel—or all three.

3) How did Chases Island—in sight of B.P.—rate its own NWZ?

4) Nobody's answered my earlier question:

Quote:
Will there never be a No Wake Zone at Barber's Pole?

'Sent my reply to VB yesterday.

Last edited by ApS; 06-16-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
jrc

If you anchor there, it becomes a NWZ. So put your money where your mouth is, and anchor there on busy weekends. If this is so important and lives are at a stake, how can you live with yourself for not doing something to stop the carnage?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
VitaBene

Quote:

2) Boaters unfamiliar with BP's reputation would anchor to go exploring with a snorkel—or diving—or to fish the boulders in the channel—or all three.

It is an easily navigable channel, that no one in their right mind would anchor in the middle of.

If an angler decided to troll there, it is almost certain it will be a NWZ depending on their location.

The only time I have seen someone anchored there was when some bright bulb decided to pretend he was fishing while shooting videos of safe passage violations.

Last edited by VitaBene; 06-13-2011 at 10:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (06-13-2011), Sue Doe-Nym (06-15-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
ApS

Unhappy That was Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
If you anchor there, it becomes a NWZ. So put your money where your mouth is, and anchor there on busy weekends. If this is so important and lives are at a stake, how can you live with yourself for not doing something to stop the carnage?
I've been there once!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
gtagrip

Quote:
I've been there once!
You must be tramatized!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

That would be illegal, you can't anchor a boat where it's a navigational hazard. Indeed a law that is on the books that makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Yankee

Quote:
I've been there once!
And with that vast amount of experience of the BP area please explain what makes you think that you can render a cogent opinion regarding the need for a no wake zone there?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
That would be illegal, you can't anchor a boat where it's a navigational hazard. Indeed a law that is on the books that makes sense.
There is no NH law that I can find that would make it illegal to anchor in the Barber pole area.

The only law even close is listed below. And an anchored boat in that area is not a obstruction dangerous to navigation. Just slow down and go around.

270:26 Injuring Buoys, Placing Obstructions. –
II. Any person who knowingly places an obstruction dangerous to navigation in any of the public waters of the state without reasonable precaution to protect the public from such obstruction shall be guilty of a misdemeanor....

This is just a theoretical discussion, I don't really think people would anchor in the middle of the general travel area of the Barber Pole.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
VtSteve

Quote:

'Sent my reply to VB yesterday.
I don't think anyone could do better than a Guess APS. But some people have different tolerances than you, on the lake, and away from the lake. For instance, the thought of having a racetrack, with the assorted noise and speed freaks nearby, would trouble me. Winnipesaukee's Suissvale and Tamworth are not far enough away from the general populace.

Imagine the horror of the locals trying to peacefully relax, maybe even just reading a paper, while you get your jollies loudly running as fast as you can around a track, like an undisciplined juvenile. Not everyone likes loud cars and racetracks Bob, perhaps you should pay attention
Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
ApS

Cool One for Consistency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
...some people have different tolerances than you, on the lake, and away from the lake. For instance, the thought of having a racetrack, with the assorted noise and speed freaks nearby, would trouble me. Winnipesaukee's Suissvale and Tamworth are not far enough away from the general populace.
1) In Florida, I live 8.1 miles from a famous international race track and most winters can determine—by ear—what schedule of racing is in progress by the exhaust noises being carried on the breeze. (Tire-testing, open-wheel racers, motorcycles, those very-distinctive Porsche sounds, SCCA/Club-racing).

2) I go home for lunch, and know—by exhausts—when my group—of four groups—is scheduled, and allow enough time to reappear at the racetrack.

3) Most importantly, eleven years ago, a racetrack was being considered among Tamworth's hills. I drove over, appeared before the Board—spoke of my racing credentials and objected—though our residence is in distant Wolfeboro!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
VtSteve

I don't care too much for the noise B,,,,APS. I guess you're around the loud engine roar so much, you want to come home and relax, and nobody else can have any engine noise. I get it. I wouldn't care to live 8 miles away from a track, and still hear the noises. But if I ever moved there, I should have known about it first. BTW, your version of Florida is my he!!. I'd have to try and get sound levels reduced, maybe speeds as well

Winni has had louder boats, not necessarily fast boats, for well over fifty years. I remember the bike weeks from waaaaay back, same old. If you don't like any of it, Winni is not a good place to be. At least on some weekends, not all. Some people have loud boats, and some of them go faster than your sailboat. But you live on a public lake, and some people like it, some don't. On this BP issue, you've been there how much???

You're a NIMBY, plain and simple. If people saw your comments elsewhere, they'd be absolutely horrified.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-23-2011), NHBUOY (06-22-2011), Sue Doe-Nym (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #18
ApS

Question BP—NWZ—Never?

Quote:
On this BP issue, you've been there how much??? You're a NIMBY, plain and simple. If people saw your comments elsewhere, they'd be absolutely horrified.
As stated, I've been there once; however, most transiting through the Barber's Pole don't stay for a couple of hours—as I did.

1) Every noise made by a boat is echoed off the shorelines.

2) Even a relatively-quiet 32' Formula proceeding at a sorta-normal pace disturbed the tranquility and ambience of the entire area. I'd taken refuge in a shallow area near shore, but risked striking the bottom from his wake.

3) A nearby Summer Camp complained at the NWZ hearing—but while I was there—one of the Camp's boats was giving a BP-island-tour to his many passengers.

4) Two Cow Island neighbors were digging-out their boat docks—by hand!

5) For families who've lived there since the mid-1800s, this is hardly a case of NIMBY.

The Florida County where the race track is located, is home to thousands of war veterans—most of whom—moved-in with hearing aids!

I looked at a new development—directly across from the race track—but it only took a weekend-visit to realize that track noise wasn't going to be my "thing".

I'd certainly have to be further-away than a ½-mile!

Quote:
I get it. I wouldn't care to live 8 miles away from a track, and still hear the noises. But if I ever moved there, I should have known about it first. BTW, your version of Florida is my he!!.
I'm very content with my choice of residence and location there. Eight miles is not just adequate, but desireable for my racing-instructor avocation.

My only present concern is a new neighbor—with a 49-foot lot on our Florida lake—who has asked me for a zoning variance regarding a boat house for his two Jet-Skis and a skiboat.

Quote:
Winni has had louder boats, not necessarily fast boats, for well over fifty years.
But hundreds?

Mostly "visitors"?

Who "Can't see Kayaks?"?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
VitaBene

Quote:

Mostly "visitors"?

[
Take a moment to reflect and then thank our neighbors to the south who own property, shop, dine, and recreate in our great state instead of taking every opportunity to slam them.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
Rusty

Quote:
Take a moment to reflect and then thank our neighbors to the south who own property, shop, dine, and recreate in our great state instead of taking every opportunity to slam them.
Hi VitaBene...you little devil you!

I hear that you are starting a new career in photography. I saw some of your work…..very nice….that should bring some new business to NH. A whole new class of people will be coming to NH just to have their picture taken by you.

Good luck in your new career…I’m sure you have had a desire to be a photographer for many years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hi VitaBene...you little devil you!

I hear that you are starting a new career in photography. I saw some of your work…..very nice….that should bring some new business to NH. A whole new class of people will be coming to NH just to have their picture taken by you.

Good luck in your new career…I’m sure you have had a desire to be a photographer for many years.
Hi Evelyyn, I mean SOTD, I mean Rusty,

What class would that be?
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (06-23-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #22
ApS

Question Context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Rusty, you know this can't end well—let it go.

Quote:
I slammed "neighbors to the south"?

No.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #23
Rusty

Quote:
Rusty, you know this can't end well—let it go.
You are right, it didn't end well.

I apologize to VitaBene for bringing this up.