Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2020, 05:36 AM   #1
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default Increased Year-Round Population?

The 100% restaurant opening thread elicited some thoughts that permanent-lake-resident friends of mine have expressed: will people from cities who can work remotely now move here full time and, if so, how will that affect the area? Specifically in terms of schools, community services, healthcare, etc. (Given that these people would've been here in summer anyway, those things that would be affected would be winter resources.)

Does anyone know if school registrations have increased? What other data might reveal this shift if it were happening and, if so, how might the area be affected?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 838
Thanks: 123
Thanked 197 Times in 147 Posts
Default

I think itís a bit to early to see that. Once this thing blows over and a new ďnormalcyĒ exists, there will still likely be an office presence requirement for many. Most house holds in Massachusetts are dual income earners and the likely hood both spouses will work remotely all the time seems slim. While Iím not one of them, I know some people with second homes here that love the summers at the lake but have no interest in being here in the winter.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default Increased Year-Round Population?

I can tell you this. I have moved from New York to the lakes region permanently but I had planned this for a while as we wanted to make the move when my son entered high school this year. my new neighbor sold his home in the Boston area and is also permanent. Additionally I have friends looking at home this weekend in my area and I was in the sales office yesterday and they had 2 newly retired NYPD looking in my community.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I think itís a bit to early to see that. Once this thing blows over and a new ďnormalcyĒ exists, there will still likely be an office presence requirement for many. Most house holds in Massachusetts are dual income earners and the likely hood both spouses will work remotely all the time seems slim. While Iím not one of them, I know some people with second homes here that love the summers at the lake but have no interest in being here in the winter.
You may be right in the long-long-term, but I'm thinking school registrations might be a good indicator of "summer" people who have moved to the area "permanently."

I know many of my friends' companies have decided to be remote until at least January.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

I have seen an increase in out of staters looking to buy in the lakes region for a permanent move.
I met a real estate investor/developer last weekend at Lago's last weekend and he had an interesting take on things.
He's sold everything he owned in the Boston area and now rents in the lakes region. Says he's sitting on the sidelines and and is ready jump back in when everything bottoms out.
Is he right?

Last edited by Biggd; 08-26-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
sluggo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 152
Thanks: 11
Thanked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I have had a lot of my customers tell me this summer that they have sold their primary homes out of state and are staying full time as I have also seen the school enrollments increase here and in the northern part of the state. Its an interesting trend and I am sure a culture shock this winter for many that have planed to stay.
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I can tell you this. I have moved from New York to the lakes region permanently but I had planned this for a while as we wanted to make the move when my son entered high school this year. my new neighbor sold his home in the Boston area and is also permanent. Additionally I have friends looking at home this weekend in my area and I was in the sales office yesterday and they had 2 newly retired NYPD looking in my community.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Congrats on your relocation. I'm trying to convince my wife to make the move but there aren't too many year rounders in my neighborhood.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Congrats on your relocation. I'm trying to convince my wife to make the move but there aren't too many year rounders in my neighborhood.
Thank you. A long time coming. We are about 50/50 so for me it’s a good mix.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
...there aren't too many year rounders in my neighborhood.
Ummmm...sounds perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #10
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 593
Thanks: 387
Thanked 176 Times in 93 Posts
Default

We have friends in Wolfeboro who told us that the high school has 30 new students this year. I live in Gilford and haven't heard anything here.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Ummmm...sounds perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It sounds perfect but my wife needs people to associate with every day other than me.
I was socially distant before it became fashionable
I love the lake in September when the crowds leave.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #12
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
We have friends in Wolfeboro who told us that the high school has 30 new students this year. I live in Gilford and haven't heard anything here.
I have to think 30 is a sizable increase?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #13
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It sounds perfect but my wife needs people to associate with every day other than me.
I was socially distant before it became fashionable
Hahahaha! Understood.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Would love to see numbers from larger towns like Alton Meredith Moultonborough Gilford and Laconia.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,860
Thanks: 407
Thanked 577 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I think it’s a bit to early to see that. Once this thing blows over and a new “normalcy” exists, there will still likely be an office presence requirement for many. Most house holds in Massachusetts are dual income earners and the likely hood both spouses will work remotely all the time seems slim. While I’m not one of them, I know some people with second homes here that love the summers at the lake but have no interest in being here in the winter.
I think that you have hit it on the head.

Tying in a comment from Thinkxingu -- there are indeed many Companies which have postponed any consideration of return to "normalcy" until after the first of the year (my Company being one of them). Thus, having an easy ability to work remote, I have spent the better part of July/Aug here at the Lake working.

However, to the point of dual income - due to her position my wife needs to periodically go to her office so she stays 2-1/2 days a week back in MA (Sunday nites/ drives up Wednesday afternoons).

As this situation "normalizes" no one can fully predict today what the new Corporate landscape/ work environment will fully look like. We all agree, that the degree of remote staff will be more fully embraced but there are other considerations such as ongoing training of staff, home work environment (kitchen tables don't cut it for a desk long term), day care, and the simple fact that some people are just not disciplined enough to be remote, etc. These are all things that within our Company we are trying to rationalize ( I am part of the Management Team of a Global company). And I can assure you there is no simple blanket answer.


One thing for sure is that there will be a LOT of office space opening up for rent in MA !!
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #16
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,099
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 227
Thanked 662 Times in 486 Posts
Default ..... paying the federal taxes with real money?

Going into effect for tax year 2018, due April 15, 2019, the federal limit for deducting state and local taxes including the local property tax went from no limit to a ten thousand dollar limit.

So, paying the tax bill on two homes has become .... like paying taxes with real money .... .... ?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #17
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,194
Thanks: 333
Thanked 840 Times in 412 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I have to think 30 is a sizable increase?
That's only a little more than seven students per grade

I would think they'd be able to absorb the increase without much trouble or additional resources.


There's also the likelihood that some students are leaving the district as well.
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #18
Bigstan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waltham MA / Gilford NH
Posts: 349
Thanks: 9
Thanked 152 Times in 81 Posts
Default

I think school enrollments are for sure a good indicator, but they skip the group of people that have no children or school age children.

I would think these are the people more likely to move, as moving kids to new schools / away from friends can't be an easy choice.

I keep looking at house sales. For example - single family homes / condos in Gilford from 200k to 500k are ALL under contract save three. Out of 26.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-500000

I've never seen such a lack of homes for sale here. I've had realtors knock on my door and say they just sold two homes in the area for X, and I can get you Y right now cash no contingencies. Where the people selling their homes go will dictate if the population goes up or down I guess.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #19
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
That's only a little more than seven students per grade

I would think they'd be able to absorb the increase without much trouble or additional resources.


There's also the likelihood that some students are leaving the district as well.
Yes, but in a school of 300, that would be 10%. (I don't know how many students are in Wolfeboro, just an example).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,194
Thanks: 333
Thanked 840 Times in 412 Posts
Default

There are just under 900 high school students at Kingswood Regional in Wolfeboro and 2338 in the entire district. The district is comprised of Brookfield, Effingham, Ossipee, New Durham, Tuftonboro, Middleton and Wolfeboro.
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #21
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,820
Thanks: 975
Thanked 1,170 Times in 710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
There are just under 900 high school students at Kingswood Regional in Wolfeboro and 2338 in the entire district. The district is comprised of Brookfield, Effingham, Ossipee, New Durham, Tuftonboro, Middleton and Wolfeboro.
Ah, I forgot it was a regional school. It'll be interesting to see what the totals actually are and how their learning plan (remote/hybrid/etc.) affects things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #22
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
I think school enrollments are for sure a good indicator, but they skip the group of people that have no children or school age children.

I would think these are the people more likely to move, as moving kids to new schools / away from friends can't be an easy choice.

I keep looking at house sales. For example - single family homes / condos in Gilford from 200k to 500k are ALL under contract save three. Out of 26.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-200000-500000

I've never seen such a lack of homes for sale here. I've had realtors knock on my door and say they just sold two homes in the area for X, and I can get you Y right now cash no contingencies. Where the people selling their homes go will dictate if the population goes up or down I guess.
There are currently no homes for re sale in my neighborhood, all on the market have recently sold, there are just 2 new builds available with the other new builds sold already. I was in the sales office yesterday and they said there is a tremendous amount of activity on buildable lots. The market here is crazy.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #23
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,165
Thanks: 550
Thanked 1,005 Times in 701 Posts
Default

Mcdude is right. So if there are 30 more kids in Wolfeboro does that mean just in Carpenter School and Crescent Lake School which are all Wolfeboro kids? Each town has it's own grammar schools.

I do know the plumbers are getting a lot of request regarding people keeping their houses open for the winter.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #24
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 891
Thanks: 499
Thanked 480 Times in 237 Posts
Default Moultonborough school enrollment 2020-21 projected

Here is what has come from the school district:
PK 10-20
K. 21-28
1. 35
2. 31
3. 27
4. 30
5. 36
6. 27
7. 47
8. 36
9. 32
10. 39
11. 44
12. 27
Total # of students in district = 442 to 459 PK through 12
Feel free to check my math...not my strongest suit .
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #25
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,194
Thanks: 333
Thanked 840 Times in 412 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Mcdude is right. So if there are 30 more kids in Wolfeboro does that mean just in Carpenter School and Crescent Lake School which are all Wolfeboro kids? Each town has it's own grammar schools.
pjard (in a post above) said Wolfeboro HIGH SCHOOL. I assume that means Kingswood. Not sure??
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #26
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,187
Thanks: 19
Thanked 153 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Sue how does that number in moultonboro compare to last year . I think it looking a while back enrollment seems to drop every year
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #27
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 891
Thanks: 499
Thanked 480 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Sue how does that number in moultonboro compare to last year . I think it looking a while back enrollment seems to drop every year
I am not sure what last yearís numbers were, but I think these are lower. At one time, we had close to 750 students in the system, and itís been declining steadily. The school superintendentís office should have all that information.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #28
sum-r breeze
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Burlington Ma / Laconia NH
Posts: 378
Thanks: 141
Thanked 176 Times in 85 Posts
Default

I can see a trend that happening where people are nearing or reaching retirement age and unloading their primary and moving into their lake house. We're in our mid 50s and are the youngest couple on our street. I hope the powers that be can do something about the healthcare situation in the lakes region. More older folks in the area, are going to need more doctors
__________________
Wave cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-26-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #29
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
I can see a trend that happening where people are nearing or reaching retirement age and unloading their primary and moving into their lake house. We're in our mid 50s and are the youngest couple on our street. I hope the powers that be can do something about the healthcare situation in the lakes region. More older folks in the area, are going to need more doctors
In my neighborhood it's mostly 70's. It seems like it's starting to turn over. All the houses are year round but we have a lot of snowbirds. Their children and grand chidren use the places in the winter for skying and ice fishing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
gordun (09-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #30
marinewife
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 51
Thanks: 23
Thanked 38 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I heard a couple of things in town (Wolfeboro) this morning.

One was that several Int'l Brewster kids were not returning and several parents from neighboring states rushed to enroll their kids take their places.

Someone else told me that 40 new kids were enrolled in Moultonborough.

And finally, a realtor shared with me last weekend that a house can come on the market at 9am, and it's in contract by noon. He said most of the buyers were from NY, NJ, CT, and MA. There have been bidding wars, all cash offers, and some very aggressive clients trying to get a slice of the Lakes region.

And for whatever it's worth, according to the New York Times, that did a massive study, 80% of the residents of NH that were not BORN here are from MA.

I feel very lucky to live here year round, enjoy the seasons, and count my blessings.
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marinewife For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #31
JADAQ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 198
Thanks: 4
Thanked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I have to think 30 is a sizable increase?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Gotta keep in mind how much area Kingswood high school covers though.

Ossipee, Effingham, New Durham, Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro and I think Freedom as well.

30 is a drop in the bucket
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #32
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 310
Thanks: 2
Thanked 64 Times in 42 Posts
Default Real estate

With the recent hot real estate market, I'm thinking there is a rude awakening on the horizon. Hearing several stories about offers several thousand over asking without home inspections. When the market corrects, and it will, it always does, there maybe alot of people underwater owing more than the property is worth. I would never buy in a market like this. Best to wait. I think there is alot of people over paying.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #33
Bigstan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waltham MA / Gilford NH
Posts: 349
Thanks: 9
Thanked 152 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Gotta keep in mind how much area Kingswood high school covers though.

Ossipee, Effingham, New Durham, Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro and I think Freedom as well.

30 is a drop in the bucket
See above post as to where new people are coming from. MA , NY and such want at least a moderate population around, so Laconia, Gilford and Meredith will be the first to see a spike (seen by the immediate closing of any property on the market in those areas).

But donít worry, as saturation and no doubt gentrification occur it will branch out to the ĎBoroís and further.

Just look at the new builds going up in Laconia, you hear the locals talk all the time (Iím engaged to a true local so am now privy to the talk) that they feel like theyíre being priced/pushed out. Itís not quite true yet, but itís coming.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #34
Bigstan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waltham MA / Gilford NH
Posts: 349
Thanks: 9
Thanked 152 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
With the recent hot real estate market, I'm thinking there is a rude awakening on the horizon. Hearing several stories about offers several thousand over asking without home inspections. When the market corrects, and it will, it always does, there maybe alot of people underwater owing more than the property is worth. I would never buy in a market like this. Best to wait. I think there is alot of people over paying.
I don’t think so. My new neighbor paid 50k over asking so as not to lose another house (he lost the last two). All cash, all these deals are. If you can write a check for 650-ish plus closing costs you won’t be upside down anytime soon. Like a realtor recently told me - if you’re not paying cash today go find another realtor.

But you are 100% correct, absolutely everyone is overpaying.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #35
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
With the recent hot real estate market, I'm thinking there is a rude awakening on the horizon. Hearing several stories about offers several thousand over asking without home inspections. When the market corrects, and it will, it always does, there maybe alot of people underwater owing more than the property is worth. I would never buy in a market like this. Best to wait. I think there is alot of people over paying.
Completely disagree. There has only been 1 real estate correction and not long after the values return to pre correction level and increased substantially. Who says no home inspections? The only way you can go without one is if you buy for cash which is very rare and even if you are buying for cash you should always get an inspection. Also a back will need a home appraisal just because it’s over list it might not be over market.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #36
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 310
Thanks: 2
Thanked 64 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Completely disagree. There has only been 1 real estate correction and not long after the values return to pre correction level and increased substantially. Who says no home inspections? The only way you can go without one is if you buy for cash which is very rare and even if you are buying for cash you should always get an inspection. Also a back will need a home appraisal just because itís over list it might not be over market.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
So the recession of 2008 there were not thousands owing more than their property was worth and defaulting on their loans. As for no inspections. There are alot of cash deals, I know people who lost out because of that situation. It is happening. Just because you pay cash doesn't mean your not underwater when the value decreases. You will need to hold on until the value returns.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #37
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 310
Thanks: 2
Thanked 64 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Completely disagree. There has only been 1 real estate correction and not long after the values return to pre correction level and increased substantially. Who says no home inspections? The only way you can go without one is if you buy for cash which is very rare and even if you are buying for cash you should always get an inspection. Also a back will need a home appraisal just because itís over list it might not be over market.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
During my adult years It happened more than once. I am now in my third home purchased in an area and time when the market was not experiencing a boom. The first 2 were purchased in a down market after corrections and sold when the market increased after being down.

The point of my original post, alot of people are overpaying now and it will come back to bite them later. I have seen it happen more than once over the last 30 years. Runs in cycles.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #38
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 310
Thanks: 2
Thanked 64 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
I donít think so. My new neighbor paid 50k over asking so as not to lose another house (he lost the last two). All cash, all these deals are. If you can write a check for 650-ish plus closing costs you wonít be upside down anytime soon. Like a realtor recently told me - if youíre not paying cash today go find another realtor.

But you are 100% correct, absolutely everyone is overpaying.
Maybe underwater/upside down is the wrong terminology for a cash buyer. What I meant was even if you paid cash, if the market corrects and property is worth less than you paid you lost money, unless you hold on until values return.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #39
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 891
Thanks: 499
Thanked 480 Times in 237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
During my adult years It happened more than once. I am now in my third home purchased in an area and time when the market was not experiencing a boom. The first 2 were purchased in a down market after corrections and sold when the market increased after being down.
Taz, you are correct. We can recall at least 2 or 3 corrections in the real estate market in our time up here. Each time, the market has recovered and gone higher than pre correction. Itís cyclical, and itís almost inevitable that another correction will be here sooner or later. Todayís prices are just plain crazy....wonderful for those wanting to sell....but you are probably right in your prediction that there will be people under water with their mortgages, sad to say.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #40
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
So the recession of 2008 there were not thousands owing more than their property was worth and defaulting on their loans. As for no inspections. There are alot of cash deals, I know people who lost out because of that situation. It is happening. Just because you pay cash doesn't mean your not underwater when the value decreases. You will need to hold on until the value returns.
I said once and that was it and values have long since surpassed pre 2008 values. Name the other tome in history we’re there was a “correction “ in values. Not just a slight 1-5% decline a true correction? There has been no other time.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #41
Bigstan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waltham MA / Gilford NH
Posts: 349
Thanks: 9
Thanked 152 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Maybe underwater/upside down is the wrong terminology for a cash buyer. What I meant was even if you paid cash, if the market corrects and property is worth less than you paid you lost money, unless you hold on until values return.
Sure, youíll have some exposure, but I donít think too much as the market wonít go down soon (speculation on my part). And if you can toss around 2/3 of a mil cash you really donít care.

Cash deals are not At all rare these days , they are prevalent. Inspections are of course done for insurance or peace of mind reasons but are not conditions of the sale, atleast on the properties Iíve seen.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #42
dickiej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: White Salmon, WA
Posts: 182
Thanks: 8
Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
Default

We're one hour east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge....now that people can work at home, and Portland is literally being burnt to the ground, the real estate sales are going haywire out here....houses being sold within a few hours of going on the market for substantially more than asking price....sometimes sight unseen.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:02 AM   #43
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rowley MA / Tuftonboro
Posts: 838
Thanks: 123
Thanked 197 Times in 147 Posts
Default

The world is so different from what it once was even back in 2008. Heck look at the stock market. Five months ago when this pandemic started I donít think anyone would have projected it to at 28,000 where it is now. Nothing makes much sense. The thing fueling real estate thru this whole upswing for the past decade Has a lot to do with interest rates. Money in cheap. Is there a correction coming. Yup soon as that interest rate gets back up 6-7%. But who knows when that comes. By in large homes on the water suffer much less. People always want the water.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #44
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
The world is so different from what it once was even back in 2008. Heck look at the stock market. Five months ago when this pandemic started I don’t think anyone would have projected it to at 28,000 where it is now. Nothing makes much sense. The thing fueling real estate thru this whole upswing for the past decade Has a lot to do with interest rates. Money in cheap. Is there a correction coming. Yup soon as that interest rate gets back up 6-7%. But who knows when that comes. By in large homes on the water suffer much less. People always want the water.
I even if the rates go up to 6-7% I do not believe there will be a significant correction (over 10%). The real estate market would slow down but it would be nothing like 2008. Only an unpredictable outside influence would cause a significant correction such as what happened in 2008.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #45
map
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: The Weirs
Posts: 124
Thanks: 109
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Ummmm...sounds perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Exactly! Iím looking forward to the quiet.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #46
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
The world is so different from what it once was even back in 2008. Heck look at the stock market. Five months ago when this pandemic started I don’t think anyone would have projected it to at 28,000 where it is now. Nothing makes much sense. The thing fueling real estate thru this whole upswing for the past decade Has a lot to do with interest rates. Money in cheap. Is there a correction coming. Yup soon as that interest rate gets back up 6-7%. But who knows when that comes. By in large homes on the water suffer much less. People always want the water.
The stock market has been boosted by gambling day traders. With no sporting events to gamble on gamblers have turned to day trading. A gambler has to get his fix somewhere.
On a side note, I just got my new assessment from the town of Meredith in the mail yesterday, up almost 18%!
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #47
map
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: The Weirs
Posts: 124
Thanks: 109
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Default

To me a house is a home. I could care less about appreciation or depreciation as long as I can afford to live in it thatís all that matters to me. A home is part of my skin. A place of respite and for family and friends and memories.

I am trying to make our new house here in N.H. my ďhomeĒ after leaving our family home in NY behind. Itís going to take awhile I see.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
Roy_Hobbs (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #48
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
To me a house is a home. I could care less about appreciation or depreciation as long as I can afford to live in it thatís all that matters to me. A home is part of my skin. A place of respite and for family and friends and memories.

I am trying to make our new house here in N.H. my ďhomeĒ after leaving our family home in NY behind. Itís going to take awhile I see.
That is true but no one wants to see the value of the home drop like a rock. That being said, if you're there for the long haul it always comes back.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #49
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,756
Thanks: 809
Thanked 777 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
To me a house is a home. I could care less about appreciation or depreciation as long as I can afford to live in it that’s all that matters to me. A home is part of my skin. A place of respite and for family and friends and memories.

I am trying to make our new house here in N.H. my “home” after leaving our family home in NY behind. It’s going to take awhile I see.
I just did the same. Left NY officially in July and making my NH house my home. My move from NY has been planned for several years it was not a result of the pandemic or ruination of NYC by its inept Mayor although it is extremely sad to see especially since my company had helped build the city.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #50
sum-r breeze
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Burlington Ma / Laconia NH
Posts: 378
Thanks: 141
Thanked 176 Times in 85 Posts
Default Ups and Downs

I've seen small market corrections along the way. We bought our forever home at the lake in 2016 after multiple condos. The house was on the market for two years and no buyers. The house was only seven years old and in really good shape. We purchased for 20K under asking price. Now things are on fire and a another home on our street sold for 20K over asking.

The Breeze
__________________
Wave cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #51
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
I've seen small market corrections along the way. We bought our forever home at the lake in 2016 after multiple condos. The house was on the market for two years and no buyers. The house was only seven years old and in really good shape. We purchased for 20K under asking price. Now things are on fire and a another home on our street sold for 20K over asking.

The Breeze
I also bought back in in 2014 for 40K under list after the home had been on the market for over a year. Prices started creeping up around around 2016 but it really turned to a sellers market over the past couple years. Now things are just plain crazy!
We've seen these kind of things back home for about 6 or 7 years now but I've never seen it like this in the Lakes region and I've been coming up here for 50 years.
People are flush with cash, never seen so many cash sales.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #52
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 747
Thanks: 110
Thanked 263 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Been reading this post over the past few days and would not disagree about limited supply and prices. With that said, just yesterday I received a letter from the town of Meredith saying property assessments have been completed and mine is lower! Go figure


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #53
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Been reading this post over the past few days and would not disagree about limited supply and prices. With that said, just yesterday I received a letter from the town of Meredith saying property assessments have been completed and mine is lower! Go figure


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lucky you, mine went up 18%! I've fixed the place up but no additions to the property and I never let them in the house.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #54
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 530
Thanks: 163
Thanked 510 Times in 185 Posts
Default Same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Lucky you, mine went up 18%! I've fixed the place up but no additions to the property and I never let them in the house.
Our assessed value went up over $200K and we haven't done a single thing to the place the whole time we've owned it. Will be interesting to see if they play with the rate, such that the tax bill doesn't change, but I highly doubt it
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #55
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 747
Thanks: 110
Thanked 263 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Lucky you, mine went up 18%! I've fixed the place up but no additions to the property and I never let them in the house.
Correct. Never let them in!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #56
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,103
Thanks: 635
Thanked 479 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Been reading this post over the past few days and would not disagree about limited supply and prices. With that said, just yesterday I received a letter from the town of Meredith saying property assessments have been completed and mine is lower! Go figure


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Congrats!

Very interesting as well. Are you on the water? Perhaps there is a shift in their estimates between waterfront and non-waterfront?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #57
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 482
Thanks: 91
Thanked 402 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Moultonborough has just reassessed the town. Property increase yet again, This time a "new" depreciation" schedule is being used for the first time and it is impacting building values significantly. People need to really look at their property cards. Check the amount of depreciation percent last year vs. this year. Changes are significant. Last year lakefront got hit with a 16.7% increase across the town. This year it is another 2+%. But now building values are being pushed higher with a much lower depreciation schedule. UGH.....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #58
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 747
Thanks: 110
Thanked 263 Times in 169 Posts
Default Increased Year-Round Population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Congrats!

Very interesting as well. Are you on the water? Perhaps there is a shift in their estimates between waterfront and non-waterfront?
No. Just a empty building lot. Good question, higher waterfront then in town.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #59
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Our assessed value went up over $200K and we haven't done a single thing to the place the whole time we've owned it. Will be interesting to see if they play with the rate, such that the tax bill doesn't change, but I highly doubt it
I can't complain because I'm still well below market value.
When I bought 6 years ago the realtor told me properties were selling right around assessed value which is what I paid. Assessed value has gone up 30% from when I purchased.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #60
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,718
Thanks: 1,216
Thanked 773 Times in 476 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Our assessed value went up over $200K and we haven't done a single thing to the place the whole time we've owned it. Will be interesting to see if they play with the rate, such that the tax bill doesn't change, but I highly doubt it
Someone has to pay for that new library!
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #61
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,520
Thanks: 239
Thanked 1,716 Times in 709 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Someone has to pay for that new library!
Don't forget the Mc-DPW building too
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-27-2020), JEEPONLY (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #62
Grant
Senior Member
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Pennsyltuckey & Tuftonboro
Posts: 1,433
Thanks: 252
Thanked 181 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
I can see a trend that happening where people are nearing or reaching retirement age and unloading their primary and moving into their lake house. We're in our mid 50s and are the youngest couple on our street. I hope the powers that be can do something about the healthcare situation in the lakes region. More older folks in the area, are going to need more doctors
Good point -- and not only more doctors, more comprehensive service. Case-in-point: My brother and his family recently spent a week in Moultonborough. His daughter (11) developed an inflamed appendix, and the team at Huggins in Wolfeboro couldn't do the operation, so they sent her to Manchester--which is a $5,800+ ambulance ride.

We had the same issue with my father when he lived in Tuftonboro. He came down with pneumonia and a-fib, and the local hospital sent him (via ambulance) to Catholic Medical Center in Manchester.

Huggins is a great hospital, and nearly every one of my family members, from my grandparents to my kids...and me, have had some kind of service there, but the area providers need to be able to offer a broader portfolio of services--particularly with a growing elderly population.

Of course, all this requires money. It's American healthcare.
__________________
"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it."
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #63
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,103
Thanks: 635
Thanked 479 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Good point -- and not only more doctors, more comprehensive service. Case-in-point: My brother and his family recently spent a week in Moultonborough. His daughter (11) developed an inflamed appendix, and the team at Huggins in Wolfeboro couldn't do the operation, so they sent her to Manchester--which is a $5,800+ ambulance ride.

We had the same issue with my father when he lived in Tuftonboro. He came down with pneumonia and a-fib, and the local hospital sent him (via ambulance) to Catholic Medical Center in Manchester.

Huggins is a great hospital, and nearly every one of my family members, from my grandparents to my kids...and me, have had some kind of service there, but the area providers need to be able to offer a broader portfolio of services--particularly with a growing elderly population.

Of course, all this requires money. It's American healthcare.
I'm not so sure. If I needed an ER, I'd want for Huggins to be full portfolio of emergency stuff. But if I had time on my side just a bit, I'd prefer a busier hospital with more regular occurrence of whatever I had.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #64
Grant
Senior Member
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Pennsyltuckey & Tuftonboro
Posts: 1,433
Thanks: 252
Thanked 181 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm not so sure. If I needed an ER, I'd want for Huggins to be full portfolio of emergency stuff. But if I had time on my side just a bit, I'd prefer a busier hospital with more regular occurrence of whatever I had.
A good point. Just saying that an aging population might require more of those specialized services. Again, also requires inordinate levels of ($) resources. And the Huggins ER is great! Been patched up there myself.
__________________
"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it."
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #65
barefootbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 304
Thanks: 28
Thanked 64 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm not so sure. If I needed an ER, I'd want for Huggins to be full portfolio of emergency stuff. But if I had time on my side just a bit, I'd prefer a busier hospital with more regular occurrence of whatever I had.
Donít know the circumstances but they have 2 general surgeons on staff and appendicitis is a routine surgical procedure done on a regular basis on pedis and adults. One of them should have been on call !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #66
map
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: The Weirs
Posts: 124
Thanks: 109
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I just did the same. Left NY officially in July and making my NH house my home. My move from NY has been planned for several years it was not a result of the pandemic or ruination of NYC by its inept Mayor although it is extremely sad to see especially since my company had helped build the city.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I hear ya! We have also planned for years. I was forced to resign my job in 2018 At age 62 and my husband retired 12/31/2019. He is 66. That’s the date we closed on our N.H. house and we moved in February. Our 32 year old son- single and our only child- has been up in Plymouth for 10 years already. Went to college there and never came home.

Our home in Sullivan County, NY never really appreciated like you would think, though we did at least get back our remodeling costs from the past 10 years. But it was now or never to make the move. What we purchased in The Weirs compared to what we owned in NY is no contest. The NY home on 10 1/2 acres of land was so much Bigger and better, but was time to downsize. It cost us just as much for this little house as we got for our NY house. Ok- it is new construction and cookie cutter- but still...

It’s noisier, no privacy, no land, but a house and community we can age in. I can’t go through moving again. It was exhausting! And I don’t think the homes in the community I am in appreciate that much. Just judging by the few resales I have seen here.

I’m with you about the mayor (and the Governor of NY). We also had some other factors where we lived that we wanted to get away from. I hope NH can hold onto its independent and live free or die constitution.

Last edited by map; 08-27-2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (08-27-2020), Hillcountry (08-27-2020), joey2665 (08-27-2020)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 1.35124 seconds