Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Chimi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 81
Thanks: 47
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Default WMUR on Hulu

I had been getting WMUR on Hulu at my house on Cow Island for the last year. I had not been to the house since the power went out a couple of weeks ago. When I got here yesterday I no longer had WMUR on Hulu live, but instead I’m getting WMTV from Portland. I called Hulu and they told me that the IP address is showing that we are in the Portland viewing area (according to FCC) so there’s nothing they can do about it. They said it was a mistake that I was getting WMUR prior to the power outage. Kind of ridiculous.

Is there any other way to get WMUR with a different service (Sling perhaps)?
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,191
Thanks: 333
Thanked 835 Times in 408 Posts
Default

I watch WMUR news on the "NewsOn" app if it's news you are looking for.
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Chimi (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,914
Thanked 1,684 Times in 934 Posts
Default Not with Hulu but...

Not with Hulu, but last November we took the train from Boston to Orlando FL.

We had cut the cord earlier in the year and started using YouTubeTV here in Alton. We watched, among other things, WMUR all the way down and back, even while using my phone as a hot spot.

YouTubeTV just went to $65 per month. I do know that a friend in Freedom is considered in the Maine viewing area and cannot get WMUR.

Perhaps McDude's suggestion is a good one.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!

Last edited by upthesaukee; 08-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Chimi (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,191
Thanks: 333
Thanked 835 Times in 408 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
YouTubeTV just went to $65 per year.

Regretfully, it's actually $65 per month.
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Kamper
Senior Member
 
Kamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thornton's Ferry
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 66
Thanked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Default

WMUR.com ?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Doobs41378
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 492
Thanks: 199
Thanked 82 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Not with Hulu, but last November we took the train from Boston to Orlando FL.

We had cut the cord earlier in the year and started using YouTubeTV here in Alton. We watched, among other things, WMUR all the way down and back, even while using my phone as a hot spot.

YouTubeTV just went to $65 per year. I do know that a friend in Freedom is considered in the Maine viewing area and cannot get WMUR.

Perhaps McDude's suggestion is a good one.

Dave
We get WMUR in Freedom On YouTube TV but we got the Portland station when we had Spectrum. Perhaps this is because our "home" for Youtube TV is in Southern NH?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,914
Thanked 1,684 Times in 934 Posts
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Regretfully, it's actually $65 per month.
Thanks. My post corrected. Wishful thinking I guess. Still less than half what we were paying with TDS, including our ABB internet cost.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Woodguy53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Not sure if this will help but you may want to check with your Internet provider to see if they can “do something”. our provider was Fairpoint which was taken over by consolidated communication. Since CC took over when we search for something “near me” the returns have been from Burlington VT area, Newport NH area, and now all the returns are from Keene NH (we live in Bedford)
I don’t know much about how providers manage your location but when we had Fairpoint the returns were out of Manchester. (Today we are apparently in Hempstead NH)

Last edited by Woodguy53; 08-15-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Woodguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodguy53 For This Useful Post:
Chimi (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
DBreskin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wolfeboro NH
Posts: 250
Thanks: 131
Thanked 109 Times in 67 Posts
Default

I use YouTube TV in Wolfeboro. Normally I’d be assigned the Portland-Burlington market based on my IP address and not have access to the Boston market stations including WMUR. My workaround is to log in to the YouTube TV app on my phone during travel to the Concord area (Boston TV market) and assign that as my home area. The setting sticks for three months and allows me to watch Boston programming. I have to update quarterly.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 481
Thanks: 90
Thanked 401 Times in 124 Posts
Default

YouTube TV all the way. Do the free trial and see what you can get. We switched and LOVE IT !!!!! After we cancelled MA Verizon Fios TV and NH Spectrum TV, saving $1300 per year in total for the two cable tv services.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #11
Loub52
Senior Member
 
Loub52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Meredith, NH
Posts: 107
Thanks: 92
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
I had been getting WMUR on Hulu at my house on Cow Island for the last year. I had not been to the house since the power went out a couple of weeks ago. When I got here yesterday I no longer had WMUR on Hulu live, but instead I’m getting WMTV from Portland. I called Hulu and they told me that the IP address is showing that we are in the Portland viewing area (according to FCC) so there’s nothing they can do about it. They said it was a mistake that I was getting WMUR prior to the power outage. Kind of ridiculous.

Is there any other way to get WMUR with a different service (Sling perhaps)?
YouTube TV via Roku. In depth thread on the topic of streaming here too: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...eaming+service
Loub52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #12
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,512
Thanks: 239
Thanked 1,711 Times in 706 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodguy53 View Post
Not sure if this will help but you may want to check with your Internet provider to see if they can “do something”. our provider was Fairpoint which was taken over by consolidated communication. Since CC took over when we search for something “near me” the returns have been from Burlington VT area, Newport NH area, and now all the returns are from Keene NH (we live in Bedford)
I don’t know much about how providers manage your location but when we had Fairpoint the returns were out of Manchester. (Today we are apparently in Hempstead NH)
Service providers have gateways that trunk all network traffic from a specific area of operation out onto the internet. These are typically fault tolerant but are not in the same geographic area as you are. These points are what your media provider sees as they try to figure out where you are coming from.

Your specific connection by your device is sitting on a private network that is not routable or discoverable from the outside world, this is for your protection! Your router acts as a NAT gateway on to the service provider's network which does the same thing again at their access point described above. Your true identity is encapsulated and encrypted within the packet data itself from prying eyes.
MAXUM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Chimi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 81
Thanks: 47
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
I watch WMUR news on the "NewsOn" app if it's news you are looking for.
Problem seems to be solved with the NewOn app through Roku. Thanks to you and everyone else for your suggestions.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Merrymeeting
Senior Member
 
Merrymeeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Merrymeeting Lake, New Durham
Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 274
Thanked 738 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
I use YouTube TV in Wolfeboro. Normally I’d be assigned the Portland-Burlington market based on my IP address and not have access to the Boston market stations including WMUR. My workaround is to log in to the YouTube TV app on my phone during travel to the Concord area (Boston TV market) and assign that as my home area. The setting sticks for three months and allows me to watch Boston programming. I have to update quarterly.
I use YouTubeTV in New Durham, about 3 miles from the Wolfeboro line. They put us in the Boston market. Apparently the town/county line must be the break point.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #15
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 481
Thanks: 90
Thanked 401 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Even though Cow Island is in Tuftonboro, go to the Youtube tv web site and plug in the Wolfeboro zip code and see what you get for channels. Then sign up for the free trial if it works out.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.74888 seconds