Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Angry New Policy At Elacoya RV Park

For the past number of years my wife and I have been enjoying our stays at Ellacoya RV Park in our motorhome. Our dog (yellow Lab) also comes with us. In February of this year we booked just about every weekend at the park and a couple of long weekends. This year was special, as we purchased a boat at Glendale Marine which is just a mile or two down the road. We were looking forward to a great year on the lake with our new boat conveniently right down the road from where we were staying.

Well after reserving nearly $1,800.00 in weekends, we find out TODAY that Ellacoya just adopted a no pet policy!! Even though, it clearly says on our on line reservation made in February that leashed pets are allowed, as they have always been in the past. Needless to say we are pretty bummed out because we now have no place to stay as all other area campgrounds are filled. Why didn't they say that before we booked in February??

I realize they have the right to the no pet policy, but geez they could have told us much sooner so we could find another place to stay!!

We asked why they adopted this policy and were told it was a safety issue for boaters and dogs in the water in front of Elacoya. I can tell you right now that's B.S. Anyone who knows the lake realizes there is a huge sand bar there and boats need to be at headway speed a long ways off from shore. Last year there were hardly any dogs at all, and most times we didn't even see any at all, and we were there most every weekend! I hope they did not adopt this policy because of some irresponsible dog owner who didn't pick up after their dog!!

We are driving up tonight as we have a lead on a seasonal site. Just not sure what it will be like. At this point I guess beggars can't be choosers!!

O.K., I'm done venting...

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 05-06-2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

It's not fair to punish the majority of dog owners, and almost 40 percent of Americans own at least one dog, for the actions (or inactions) of a few. But I think sometimes those in control find it easier to eliminate rather then deal with a perceived problem.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

That is too bad. I think it is true, a few abuse so they eliminate all. We take our babies everywhere and if they can't go we don't. We used to shop LLBean allthe time but we took them with us and were asked to leave (didn't see the sign on the front) so we have never been back. Years ago it was a hunting and fishing store and my FIL took his hunting dog in there on a LEASH! It was allowed in the old days/ Our babies can go under our coat so tell me what harm they do. As you said though, they come up with excuses.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Rag Top Daze

Default Is it a rental contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Even though, it clearly says on our on line reservation made in February that leashed pets are allowed, as they have always been in the past.
Is your online reservation the same as a contract. Did you pay at the time that you reserve? Can they actually change it once you've rented it? You might want to check to see if this is a breech of contract.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
hockeypuck

I support the new policy 100%. It is true that a few ruin it for the many. Look at it from the other side. Dog owners that tie their dogs up at the site and head to the beach only to have the dog bark all afternoon at every new noise or stranger walking past. Dog owners that don't pick up the do do and some one on their way to the beach steps in it. Dog owners that think everyone loves dogs and allow their dog to swim at the beach with little kids, some of which are scared stiff of a dog. Dog owners that tell strangers the dog is friendly and won't bite and it proceeds to jump on strangers.Now the biggie, who gets sued if the dog does bite someone???? (Everyone, including the State of NH)
That said, I think you have a case if the policy in place at the time of your reservations allowed pets.

ps. I own a black lab.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Hockeypuck;

The issues you raise are legitimate, but something that I never saw occur at Elacoya, and I was there most every weekend. Dogs were never allowed in the beach area and were allowed to swim only near the boat launch area which was very rarely used to launch boats due to the soft sand. I never witnessed anyone leaving their dogs tied up at the site, or any barking at any time we were there. All of dog owners that we saw, which were very few, were very responsible and respectful of others, that is why I am at a loss as to why this rule was implemented.

We also found out yesterday that Elacoya no longer allows Jet Skis there! So what we have here is a campground on a lake that does not allow campfires, Jet Skis and now dogs.. It's your state park, enjoy it!!

I guess it only takes one irresponsible person to ruin it for everyone, and I think that may be the case here. It's just truly unfortunate that things like this occur.

We were able to find a seasonal site near our marina last night. It's not on the water, and not as nice as Elacoya, but will have to do for this year.

Regards;

Dan

Edited to add that even today their web site says Leashed pets allowed...Check it out http://www.nhstateparks.com/ellacoya.html

Last edited by ishoot308; 05-06-2008 at 10:31 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Jonas Pilot

I wonder how they can make this decision about our park without public input.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
jrc

They're the guberment, they know what's good for you.

It is a fairly constant New England phobia about dog on beaches. If you go to the south or west dogs are common.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
... even today their web site says Leashed pets allowed...Check it out http://www.nhstateparks.com/ellacoya.html
On that page they have:

Number of Campsites: 37 sites

Pets: Leashed pets are allowed in the RV park but not in the day-use area.
RV Camping .....
Neither Tents or pets are allowed at the RV park.

DUH! don't allow these people to walk and chew gum ... at the same time ... not enough brain cells to do both.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

RISY, as jrc says, they're the guberment, what do you expect? always love something that strikes me that funny! I loved both your posts and I am going to use that guberment one! Just about sums it up!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
.. as jrc says, they're the guberment,..
LOL, yes there are always things you can depend on.