Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
TOAD

Unhappy Arsenic in the well !

One big disappointment in Toad's household yesterday. All we needed was a title search and to close on the house in Moultonborough in around 2 weeks.

We exercised due diligence and went with the expensive thorough water test. Arsenic levels are half again what is considered acceptable and safe. Arsenic is a known carcinogen. With the wife's compromised immune system we can't take any chances so that house is out. Our three and a half year search for our retirement home continues. The house and location were everything we had been searching for.

The house is only ten years old and the seller built it for his mother to live in. We have the results of of the water tests he did at the time of the build in 2001. It was just a basic water quality/potability test, nothing more. His mother is currently being treated for cancer. No way to really know if there is a linkage with the water and her condition....but

I am very thankful that we did not try and do the inspections on the cheap.

Question? By NH law, do the seller and real estate agents have to disclose that the water has recently been tested and found to have elevated arsenic levels? I would think that the seller would be required to change the real estate disclosure form. I would certainly hope so anyway. Would hate to see someone try and save some money up front on the inspections and wind up paying the price, big time, at a later date.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
MarkinNH

If this is the house you want, don't give up on it without researching all your options. There are filter systems readily available to deal with the arsenic issue.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Arsenic is very common in wells in our area. You DO need to find out a little more.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
beagle

Default It can be fixed!

Toad, Tis is right, it is a common problem in NH and not everyone is aware of or tests for it. Our house had it too, and like you we considered not putting in an offer. But I did some research and you need to install a whole house water treatment system. Call Thursty in Wolfeboro or Integrated Water in Moultonboro and have them both come out and give you a quote. The people who built our house installed reverse osmosis in the kitchen and bathroom sinks which takes care of the drinking water. However I found out that you can also get arsenic poisoning thru breathing in steam like in the shower! So now we have two columns that remove the arsenic where the water comes from the well. We have an annual water test and service and all is fine. Good Luck and don't give up hope!
The Following User Says Thank You to beagle For This Useful Post:
donnamatrix (08-02-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Newbiesaukee

To echo what others have said, it is a common but manageable problem. Another factor is that this can change over time. Just because testing might be negative today, it could be positive upon later testing. We test ours every few years. Do the research and don't make this the deal breaker.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 07-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
TOAD

Thanks for the responses. Been on the internet and on the phone with filtration companies. I'm learning. Problem does seem like it could be managed with reasonable yearly costs.

Nothing is easy.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
skibum

Hi Toad,

Arsenic is certainly a manageable problem. The EPA recommended level for drinking water is 10 parts per billion. However, the recommended level for bathing and other uses is 500 parts per billion. So, if you don't mind drinking water from one or two locations in the house, you can put in reverse osmosis units at those locations. If, on the other hand you want drinkable water at all locations, you would need to put in a whole house system. Often the seller will cover the cost of whatever you decide on rather than losing the deal. Talk with your real estate agent about this.

I am the Water Quality Supervisor for Gilford Well and we have installed many arsenic systems in both residential and commercial locations throughout the state. We are on the recommended list by the NH Department of Environmental Services. I would welcome the opportunity to chat with you about your options. Also, my competitors mentioned in this thread are both very reputable companies.

Thanks,
Rick
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skibum For This Useful Post:
kjbathe (07-14-2011), Plumberswife (10-07-2011), SteveA (07-23-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
kjbathe

Default How cool is that!

"Also, my competitors mentioned in this thread are both very reputable companies."

Rick / skibum - THANKS for just being a decent individual willing to say that. In a world where folks are increasingly rotten to one another, you made my day.

And to keep on topic, I echo the other comments. This is not a deal breaker, it's just an item to resolve on the home you want. Propose a solution and get to "yes".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjbathe For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-15-2011), skibum (07-15-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Tres diplomatique comment SB. skiers...they're like that..
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
skibum (07-18-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
CL 240 LS

Read this blog entry here on this forum:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/blog.php?b=148
Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
TOAD

Thanks for the info and help folks.

Unfortunately we got the radon air tests back yesterday and they were unacceptably high. Means we would have to put in some kind of mitigation system also. There are a few other things concerning the house and property that we know we would have to fix to get the property up to snuff. We were willing to overlook those costs and bite the bullet. Although the property had almost everything we wanted with the bad water test and radon air tests, combined with the other problems that we were willing to get fixed it is just too much.

We withdrew our offer to buy this morning.

Our search continues.

And to add insult to injury as the Missus was leaving for work this morning she gave me a kiss and said, "Happy Anniversary...it's 39 years today.... in case you forgot".

Last edited by TOAD; 07-15-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Rattlesnake Guy

Maybe we can remind you a few days ahead for next year. You don't want to forget that one.

Radon is a pretty common issue in NH as Radon is released by granite. So it gets into most of our cellars and well water. There is a lot of controversy on what level of radon is a reasonable risk. When we bought our house about 17 years ago, the EPA had recently dropped the acceptable level again. At the level (4 pCi/L) the EPA suggest mitigation, they calculate that of a 1000 non smokers, 7 would develop lung cancer from exposure to the radon during their life. At the average US house level of 1.3 pCi/L they anticipate about 2 people per 1000 to get lung cancer. Radon combined with smoking is an entirely different story. Not a good combination.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post

And to add insult to injury as the Missus was leaving for work this morning she gave me a kiss and said, "Happy Anniversary...it's 39 years today.... in case you forgot".
You better scramble and get something before she gets back from work. And if you miss next year, radon and arsenic will be the least of your worries.

Back on topic, I'm a sceptic when it comes to the causal relationship between very specific levels of these chemicals and health issues. But the important thing is your view, never buy something as important as a house if you have doubts about it. It doesn't matter if the health risk is meaningful or not, if you believe it is meaningful, you won't be comfortable in the house.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
Thanks for the info and help folks.

Unfortunately we got the radon air tests back yesterday and they were unacceptably high. Means we would have to put in some kind of mitigation system also. There are a few other things concerning the house and property that we know we would have to fix to get the property up to snuff. We were willing to overlook those costs and bite the bullet. Although the property had almost everything we wanted with the bad water test and radon air tests, combined with the other problems that we were willing to get fixed it is just too much. We have water that sits exactly on the EPA "limit" and have an RO system.

We withdrew our offer to buy this morning.

Our search continues.

Late to the party on this one. Just realize that if you are concerned about Arsenic it is extremely common in well water in Vt, NH, and ME. For about $900 you can get a reverese osmosis sytem that removes it and is plumbed to you sink (ie, drinking water) taps as well as the refrigerator which make syour ice. The lowered the As level about 10 years ago and now just about every house with a well is at or above that limit. Even if it tests fine today the level can fluctuate with the water table. A lot of people don't know this.... This would not be a show stopper for me.

As far as radon, is it a basement you would be living in? If not, again should not be a show stopper. A system is not much more than a fan to bring in fresh air.

From your posts it seems like you were 100% sold on the house to begin with.

If you want to live in the "country" without the benefit of city water and septic, these are things that you will face.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
MarkinNH (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
steadyon

Hi toad,
sorry to hear the news! as far as the arsenic, as others have said it is remediable.
with the radon air results, what was the reading, what type of test was used?
I would definately recommend testing radon a second time if you get an elevated reading.
good luck!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
TOAD

We withdrew our offer on the house a week ago. We knew that the arsenic and the radon problems could be remedied with the investment of some dollars. We had contacted several companies to find out when, how and how much the problems could be fixed. We were going to proceed.

Toward the end of the inspections (only needed septic) we grew more uncomfortable with some of the statements made by the real estate agents. There were also some other problems with the house that time and money could also fix. There was some intransigence on the sellers part to remedy or at least meet us halfway on some of these things. I have to assume it was the owner because real estate agents can muddy the pie somewhat what when communications are going back and forth. There were also some statements made by the agents that just didn't seem quite right. No need to go into any more detail.

It is unfortunate because we have a buyer waiting in the wings for our house here in western Mass. I am concerned that they will not wait too long for us to find a house up there. They have already been waiting a year. Our communications with the buyers have been very amicable. They know everything about our house because we have shown them everything. No miscommunication down here.

We loved the house and the location. Unfortunately, as I stated, we just didn't feel at ease as the sale progressed. I am old enough to know that. "If it don't feel right.....don't do it!"
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
It doesn't matter if the health risk is meaningful or not, if you believe it is meaningful, you won't be comfortable in the house.
Find a home without these issues. These issues may not be important to others. And remedies are available. But you will probably continue to find issues. I'd just move on.

Me, I have had home tested for radon. But not for arsenic. Maybe I should.

Find a home that meets all of your requirements.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
beagle

Default can you rent

It seems a shame to risk losing your buyer! Can you rent up here while you look? Then you would get a better feel for different areas cuz you would be here all the time. It seems I have seen people looking for renters just for the winter months so I don't think it would have to be a long term commitment on your part. Just a thought, good luck Toad!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
tis

I wholeheartedly agree with beagle. I would sell while you have the buyer. You never know what is going to happen.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
CateP

Default Sell Your House if You Can

I too agree with beagle. As a current seller I can tell you that the market is historically slow. If I had a buyer and didn't have a house to buy yet, I would sell in a heartbeat. I would pack up the house, put most of it in storage and BE FREE!

My former partner is looking at winter rentals in the area now and my, there ARE some really nice ones. (waterfront mansion-check Spencer Hughes)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
Irish mist

Dude....if you have a buyer sell your house & rent up here. Your buyer is not going to wait forever. And like I told you in my PM check out Nature's View in Laconia for new construction at a good price that is somewhat secluded (some lake view lots) but gives you all the city services cause you don't seem cut out for country living. And no I have no connection to Nature's View
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #22
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Dude....if you have a buyer sell your house & rent up here. Your buyer is not going to wait forever. And like I told you in my PM check out Nature's View in Laconia for new construction at a good price that is somewhat secluded (some lake view lots) but gives you all the city services cause you don't seem cut out for country living. And no I have no connection to Nature's View
DUDE....the fact that the house had elevated arsenic in the well, elevated radon readings in the cellar and some other somewhat ticklish problems has little bearing on our "not being cut out for country living". It's just a matter of common sense. As I stated before we were looking into remediation of those problems but because of the attitude of the realtors and the seller and some of the statements made we just were not getting a good feeling with moving ahead on the buy.

So called city services, I prefer to call them city "ripoffs", are what we are trying to get away from down here in the "Commonwealth" They just promote the ability for waste fraud and abuse from the local government. You pay a lot and get little in return.

As for the development you have suggested we just do not care for Laconia. There was a house in Laconia that we looked at last year. Would have snapped it up in a heart beat but for the fact that it was in Laconia.

Selling here and renting up there is an option that we are considering at this point. Would rather not go that route if we don't have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOAD For This Useful Post:
skibum (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #23
Irish mist

Like other posters have told you these "problems" that concern you are common up here so it's best to get used to it. I, and many others have tried to help you for what, 3 or 4 years out here ? When I see you have a buyer in this terrible market & you are not moving on it I suspect that perhaps you are a house-looking hobbyist & not a serious buyer.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #24
MarkinNH

Quote:
Like other posters have told you these "problems" that concern you are common up here so it's best to get used to it. I, and many others have tried to help you for what, 3 or 4 years out here ? When I see you have a buyer in this terrible market & you are not moving on it I suspect that perhaps you are a house-looking hobbyist & not a serious buyer.
Me thinkest that your stirring up an arguement where there needn't be one.
Just sayin.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (07-28-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
TOAD

Quote:
Thanks for the help Irish Mist. YA..you have been just great.

The market is not terrible all over. The town that I live in is in a somewhat demand. Basically a bedroom community but with access to 3 major highways so one has an easy commute to the larger employment hubs. At the worst of the market we only lost around 12% max off the peak.

I will say thank you once again but there is no further need for your help anymore. Perhaps I shall mail a card.

I suspect you may be an instigator.

House looking hobbyist? YA...we like driving 4 hours north to look at a couple of houses and drive back another 4 hours on the same day. It's all we need for entertainment in our lives.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #26
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Me thinkest that your stirring up an arguement where there needn't be one.
Just sayin.
Not so much I think. Toad's post to me about him perhaps not being cut out to live in the country was a little over the top IMO & I left alot unsaid in my reply to him so as to remain civil. I just find it curious that after 3 plus years of looking he can't find a house up here & now that he has a buyer he's keping in his pocket in the worst housing market since the depression he still can't make a move ? In any event it's no big deal.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #27
skibum

Default Enough already!

I have spoken on the phone with Toad and found him to be a kind spirit with a genuine interest in retiring with his wife in our lovely area. He also has very legitimate reasons for being picky about his choice of residence, which he has chosen not to mention. Irish Mist, on the other hand, is not doing a very good job of portraying the attitude that most of us NH residents put forth. Perhaps he hasn't lived here long enough to catch on. Peace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skibum For This Useful Post:
Plumberswife (10-07-2011), Winnigirl (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #28
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
I have spoken on the phone with Toad and found him to be a kind spirit with a genuine interest in retiring with his wife in our lovely area. He also has very legitimate reasons for being picky about his choice of residence, which he has chosen not to mention. Irish Mist, on the other hand, is not doing a very good job of portraying the attitude that most of us NH residents put forth. Perhaps he hasn't lived here long enough to catch on. Peace.
I'm sure Toad is a nice guy.....I never said otherwise. This all started when I said perhaps he was not cut out for country living cause I found it curious that those 2 small issues he faced could derail his purchase. And if you read on you will see I then gave him a tip on a property in Laconia, nothing nasty. His resopnes to that post was over the top IMO. Lol, then it went downhill from there. It happens. Of course as his friend I'm sure you have no skin in the game. BTW I'm a native, so you can hold the snark. Also I'm not the one "beating this dead horse" I'm just responding to these 2 posts. I'll be happy to drop it.....but that requires other people to stop dropping into the thread to get their shots in.

Last edited by Irish mist; 07-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
. His resopnes to that post was over the top IMO. Lol, then it went downhill from there. It happens.
It HAPPENED because YOU posted an over the top response to him. You started the thread downhill not Toad.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It HAPPENED because YOU posted an over the top response to him. You started the thread downhill not Toad.
That's your opinion not a fact. I said I'll be happy to drop this, and i have, but I'm not going to sit out here & take pot-shots from the likes of you. And you don't need to post to me in caps. (internet yelling)

I just read my first post to Toad again & the "you may not be cut out for country living" line was a harmless throw-away line IMO & I then went on to give him some tips on a local residential development. There was no malice intended.

I've learned over the years on this forum that "some" people are experts in dropping into threads like this for the purpose of trying to keep "the troubles" going for entertainment value. I woud suggest Don lock the thread down & allow Toad to get back to his house hunting.

Last edited by Irish mist; 07-29-2011 at 04:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
Rusty (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #31
MarkinNH

Quote:
That's your opinion not a fact. I said I'll be happy to drop this, and i have, but I'm not going to sit out here & take pot-shots from the likes of you. And you don't need to post to me in caps. (internet yelling)

I just read my first post to Toad again & the "you may not be cut out for country living" line was a harmless throw-away line IMO & I then went on to give him some tips on a local residential development. There was no malice intended.
That's your opinion, not a fact. Personally, I feel that your "you may not be cut out for country living" comment was a "pot-shot" and was uncalled for.
It is a fact that this thread went downhill after your uncalled for "throw away line"
Face it! You planted the seed, so don't get your panties all in a bunch because you don't like the way it grew.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
tis

Geez, why is everyone always ready to put their gloves on? Some people aren't cut out for country living. Does that HAVE to be an insult? Why can't we give each other a break?
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #33
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
That's your opinion, not a fact. Personally, I feel that your "you may not be cut out for country living" comment was a "pot-shot" and was uncalled for.
It is a fact that this thread went downhill after your uncalled for "throw away line"
Face it! You planted the seed, so don't get your panties all in a bunch because you don't like the way it grew.
I don't care what you think. And keep your vile sexual taunts in your own household. It's not fit for a public forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
Rusty (07-29-2011)
Closed Thread