Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default E-15 Gas and what you can do about it

You have no right to complain if you don't AT LEAST send an email thru the link below. BoatUS has been effective before on many issues using it's members clout. E-15 is a nightmare.

February 4, 2015

Dear BoatU.S. Member,

For years, BoatU.S. has been battling in Washington to make sure you can buy gasoline that works in your boat engines. On Wednesday, February 4, 2015, U.S. Congressman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) introduced The Renewable Fuel Standard Reform Act of 2015. This bill, which has both Democrat and Republican support, will effectively remove mandates for higher blend ethanol fuels (more than 10%) and allow for investment in other more compatible biofuels. We believe it is a critical step and we are writing you to ask your Congressman to become a co-sponsor and support it.

Background:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is the 2005 law that requires the blending of biofuels such as corn-ethanol into our gasoline. When written, it assumed that America’s use of gasoline would continue to rise and mandated escalating amounts of biofuels to be blended with our fuel. Since 2005, gasoline usage has actually dropped steadily and now the law forces more ethanol into less gasoline.

To keep up with this mandate, in 2010 the EPA permitted E15 (fuel containing up to 15% ethanol) into the marketplace. Even though E15 is prohibited from being used in marine engines, snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines like lawnmowers and leaf blowers, as well as any vehicle made before 2001, this fuel can now be found at over 100 stations in 16 states at the very same pumps as E10 and ethanol-free gasoline. (In fact, there is not a single marine engine warrantied to run on any fuel with over 10% ethanol.)

Over 60% of BoatU.S. Members fill their boat’s fuel tanks at roadside gas stations where the higher blend ethanol fuels are often the cheapest fuel at the pump. This creates a huge potential for misfueling and puts boaters at risk.

Please contact your Congressman by clicking HERE:

http://www.capwiz.com/boatus/issues/...SS=Take+Action

Ask them to co-sponsor the Renewable Fuel Standard Reform Act of 2015. In the last Congress, this bill had 82 co-sponsors

CLICK HEREfor more information on E15 and the Renewable Fuel Standard:

http://www.boatus.com/gov/rfs.asp
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (02-06-2015), BroadHopper (02-06-2015), dave603 (02-08-2015), Marauder (02-07-2015), pcmc (02-06-2015), smith point boater (02-07-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Wolfeboro_Baja

Done and thank you for posting this!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Rich

This is important. thanks!

I added this bit of text to my letter:
Quote:
I have had personal experience of E10 causing significant damage and problems for many of my engines. I've had to pay for many repairs, all caused by E10.
I HATE E10! And want to do anything possible to eradicate it, as well as to stop E15 if at all possible.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Misty Blue

Default E-10

EVERY and I mean EVERY marine mechanic that I know hates E-10 and have said that E-15 will end gasoline power boating.

I now use aviation gas in all of my small engines and even in Deb's Joy our 68 Century.

It is very easy for a politician who doesn't really know a subject to vote for the "green" option or the "safety" option. Very often, and especially in this case, they will get neither.

Please ask your friends to contact their representatives on this most important issue.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Done and done...

Both my wife and I have sent emails... Glad I remembered to tell her so she wouldn't be surprised if she got an email on the subject.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Donzi Minx

Smile E-15

As a Boat US member, I am glad they are on our side, and have sent my footprint by e-mail as well. I have tons of small engine equipment in my municipal district and even with the use of K-100 ethanol formula extensively, the E-10 absolutely fouls most Zenith carbs to the point of replacement. Geez I sure miss Sunoco 260, or the old American white gas. Does anyone exclusively run av gas 101 in their 1980 vintage boats? I was afraid it might run too lean and smoke a piston or two? Woodsy you ever use it in your 22?
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Done! Thank you
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Lakeboater

Thanks for posting this. Ethanol is a villain! Email sent.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Rich

For those of you with small 2 cycle engines, and not a lot of volume (mean that you use them periodically as a typical homeowner, not constantly as how a commercial user would), I can tell you something that I have been doing for some time with my 2 Cycle R/C (radio controll aircraft) air cooled engines (mostly Zenoha brand).

Instead of using Gasoline, I use Coleman fuel. I buy it at walmart in a gallon can. Then add my usual amount of oil for the proper 2 cycle mix.

This burns clean and doesn't even leave any deposits inside the fuel lines.

I've been doing this for years, even before the E10 started hitting the market.

The tests that I have done show that it doesn't affect the mixture (carb settings) and the engines don't run any hotter or cooler.

I can't say it would work for every high compression engine out there, but it has worked well for me with 2 cycle engines in the 23cc to 62cc range.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
Grandpa Redneck

Thanks for posting the link, emails sent by both myself and my Wife, and I shared the link with all in my ATV club as well.
I too have had issues caused by E-10, the fuel lines on our boat deteriorated and caused the fuel pump to burn out in 3 years time.
We were on vacation in Pittsburg, on the 1st Conn lake when it happened, No cell service, very few other boats on the lake, it could have been a real disaster. It did really mess up our vacation, a trip back to Winnisquam to get it fixed, a second trip to pick it back up, substantial repair bill, and most of our vacation in a lakefront cabin with no boat.
wynndog (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
lakewinnie

I too have sent the e-mail through BoatUS. Since my congresswoman (5th district - Connecticut) is pretty far left of center, I tried my best to explain all of the issues with Ethanol fuel in the hopes that she may be in favor of scaling back the requirements.
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Hi All,
I got some questions from a Forum member about E-15 I cannot answer but I am sure someone on the Forum can:

I just bought my first boat. A 130 hp i/o.
- Are you saying marinas have less e-10 in their fuel than a gas station? I know they have an additive mixed in, which I can mix in;

- And if the ethanol is the problem, why do some suggest more octane? It still has 10 % ethanol, no? It's more of a problem on older boats?
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
dave603

Default Same as last year

Posted this exact same thing a year ago.
They just don't get it I guess, and keep entering the same bill year after year.
Sent mine again just now.
And as last year all we'll get out of it is a form letter from your Representative.

( oh, and now I get constant spam from same said REP.!)

Thanks for this years link.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
salty dog

Sent mine in (and have for several years now. I wonder if the corn/ethanol industry can ever be broken. I believe it is a deceitful ruse to foist on the public, not only not useful but damaging. It sure helped screw up my old Wellcraft before I got rid of it; lots of money thrown down that path. Hopefully things won't be so bad for my '06 302 Mercruiser, but only time will tell....
Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
TheProfessor

In the meantime just purchase gasoline at the marinas that offer non ethanol.

I go right to the airport for all of my small engines. Pure gasoline.

Yes, a short term solution and yes it is quite pricey. But does save long term on repairs.

Also for small engines repair shops and big box stores now sell non ethanol gas in small cans.

As far as this type of legislation - the corn lobby is pretty strong on both sides of the aisle.

"Corn and soybean levels are extremely tight, and their prices have skyrocketed since June. However, these two grains are mostly used as livestock feeds. Corn is also diverted to produce ethanol because of our government mandate.

Earlier this month, the United Nations urged the U.S. to ease its ethanol mandate. The origin of this policy goes back to 2005 when Congress set requirements of corn to be used for automotive fuel. In 2007, the Energy Independence and Security Act greatly increased those requirements to improve air quality and become more energy secure. Behind the scenes, however, corn and other agricultural lobbyists were promoting the mandate to create a larger market for corn. Using current numbers, this year's ethanol mandate would theoretically require 44% of this year's corn crop, a third of which is recycled back as distillers grains for livestock feed."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/opinio...-corn-ethanol/
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
trfour (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
LSBA Joker

Default E15

Done. I've already had 2 older carbs clogged before I started mixing in one of the additives to fight the effects of e-10.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
In the meantime just purchase gasoline at the marinas that offer non ethanol.

I go right to the airport for all of my small engines. Pure gasoline.

Yes, a short term solution and yes it is quite pricey. But does save long term on repairs.

Also for small engines repair shops and big box stores now sell non ethanol gas in small cans.

As far as this type of legislation - the corn lobby is pretty strong on both sides of the aisle.

"Corn and soybean levels are extremely tight, and their prices have skyrocketed since June. However, these two grains are mostly used as livestock feeds. Corn is also diverted to produce ethanol because of our government mandate.

Earlier this month, the United Nations urged the U.S. to ease its ethanol mandate. The origin of this policy goes back to 2005 when Congress set requirements of corn to be used for automotive fuel. In 2007, the Energy Independence and Security Act greatly increased those requirements to improve air quality and become more energy secure. Behind the scenes, however, corn and other agricultural lobbyists were promoting the mandate to create a larger market for corn. Using current numbers, this year's ethanol mandate would theoretically require 44% of this year's corn crop, a third of which is recycled back as distillers grains for livestock feed."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/opinio...-corn-ethanol/
"In the meantime just purchase gasoline at the marinas that offer non ethanol."

I'm not aware of any marinas on Winni that have non-ethanol gas. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Hi All,
I got some questions from a Forum member about E-15 I cannot answer but I am sure someone on the Forum can:

I just bought my first boat. A 130 hp i/o.
- Are you saying marinas have less e-10 in their fuel than a gas station? I know they have an additive mixed in, which I can mix in;

No, e-10 is e-10, which means up to 10 % ethanol. You can't be sure of how much is included. Any is not good! having an additive can help to fight some of the side effects, but not all. Any is bad. Luckily newer boats are less prone to issues than older boats, but any ethanol is bad compared to pure gas.

Quote:
- And if the ethanol is the problem, why do some suggest more octane? It still has 10 % ethanol, no? It's more of a problem on older boats?
Older boats tend to have more problems than newer boats, but even this can be a problem for newer boats. I suggest the person to do more google searches as there are many thoughts and myths and problems with ethanol in gasoline, many can be magnified in a marine environment.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #19
Sue Doe-Nym

I believe the only place to buy ethanol free gas in NH other than airports, is on Rt. 25 in Freedom, just before entering Maine.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
Rich

There is this online list of ethanol free gasoline stations in NH:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NH

Note that you have to be careful and verify the list before you buy gas if no E-10 is important to you.

Last year they listed a marina on the lake, which certainly did have E-10 in their tanks. I think anyone can make an entry on this list, so it's easy for errors to creep in.

Also, check the details... some pure-gas is not Lead Free and could possibly damage your engine if it's designed for only Lead Free gas.

Of course, this list doesn't help those with boats that are not trailerable.

Why can't NH pass a law that says there has to be an source of pure gas availalbe somewhere in all markets. This way people can make a choice, "Life Fee or Die!"
Old 02-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #21
Pine Island Guy

Default can bipartisan action save the day?

I'm sure the corn growers have a powerful lobby... but hopefully this makes it through and is signed!

enjoy the snow everyone! -PIG

Quote:
FOUR U.S. LAWMAKERS BEGIN SECOND EFFORT AT BIOFUELS REFORM BILL

02/04/15

A group of Republican and Democratic lawmakers will begin their second attempt on Wednesday to introduce a bill that would reform the Renewable Fuel Standards (RFS) program in the United States, targeting an end to ethanol fuel-blending mandates.

The lawmakers said the bill would eliminate requirements for corn-based ethanol blending and cap blending levels for other biofuels at actual production levels. They hope the latest move will garner support now after months of disputes over how much biofuel should be blended with oil-based fuels and growing concerns that the program drives up agriculture and food costs.

The RFS Reform Act is the latest bid in recent years by Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Steve Womack (R-AR), Peter Welch (D-VT) and Jim Costa (D-CA) to change a government program that Welch described as a "well-intended flop" in an interview this week.

"We're going full bore again with this Congress," said Goodlatte, who also plans to introduce an even tougher bill on Wednesday that would repeal the RFS altogether.

The reform would effectively do away with a mandate that corn-based ethanol be blended in gasoline and repeal the waiver that raised the cap on ethanol content at 15 percent from 10 percent after Congress expanded the RFS policy in 2007.

Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) urged his colleagues to remove a corn-based ethanol mandate from the RFS, saying the mandate hurts a diverse range of people and businesses including farmers, small engine users and restaurants.
Dairy farming is a major industry in Vermont. Welch said the ethanol mandate, which started in 2005, has created a new demand for corn and other grains and raised feed costs for livestock farmers. “They were telling me about how much their grain costs were going up and it’s killing them,” Welch said Thursday at a policy forum on the RFS hosted by The Hill. “And they were attributing that to ethanol.”

Welch started to oppose the RFS shortly after he began serving Vermont’s at-large congressional district in 2007. He told a story about how ethanol once wrecked a chainsaw he owned. “I left it with the gas in, and I couldn’t get it started, and I was pretty blue about it,” Welch said. “I brought it into my small engine guy, Lloyd, and he said ‘Peter, you left the ethanol in there, and it wrecks it.’ ”

The increased food costs that hurt livestock farmers also hurt restaurants, Welch said. It affects poultry, beef, pork, other agricultural products. And at a local level ... “it costs $18,000 a year for each restaurant because of the RFS,” said Rob Green, executive director of the group. “And if you sell more beef, it can be as high as $35,000 a year per restaurant.”

Furthermore, the energy it takes to produce ethanol is close to the amount of energy in the fuel. “Many studies suggest that it’s in the negative or barely positive,” Welch said. “But it’s close. It’s not this huge benefit in renewable fuel that had originally been advertised.”
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #22
Rich

Boat US says we're making progress.... and asking people to back S.577 the Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2015

I'd like to see all Ethanol fuel removed.. but this is a start.

Please see:
http://www.capwiz.com/boatus/issues/...ertid=64214896

Let's see if we can do something about this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (03-19-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #23
dave603

Default Not a big surprise

Anyone else get this from Sen. Shaheen in response to the form we sent?

Sent the email form in what, March
AND SHE TOTALLY MISSED TO THE POINT!
And just for grins I tried to respond. ( the Email bounced for unknown recipient )

April 21, 2015

Dear Dave,
Thank you for contacting my office about the Renewable Fuel Standard. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

I believe an energy policy that reduces our dependence on fossil fuels, promotes efficiency and facilitates clean energy technologies is critical to addressing climate change and creating jobs.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is important because it promotes the development of advanced biofuels that will help us achieve energy independence and transition to a clean energy economy. By 2022, the RFS will require us to use 36 billion gallons of renewable fuel per year. The RFS also enhances our nation's energy security by encouraging fuel production from renewable domestic sources, decreasing our reliance on imported fossil fuels. This will provide a major incentive to move toward cleaner, more efficient energy technologies.

Because the RFS would increase demand for corn-based ethanol, I understand concerns some have raised that it could cause food prices to rise for consumers and businesses. As debate continues on this issue, I will keep these concerns in mind.

We must work in a bipartisan way to address our long-term energy challenges, to bring families relief from high energy costs and to spur the nation toward energy independence. I will keep your views in mind should related legislation, or similar matters, come before the full Senate for consideration.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future concerns.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Shaheen
United States Senator
Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #24
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Anyone else get this from Sen. Shaheen in response to the form we sent?

Sent the email form in what, March
AND SHE TOTALLY MISSED TO THE POINT!
And just for grins I tried to respond. ( the Email bounced for unknown recipient )

April 21, 2015

Dear Dave,
Thank you for contacting my office about the Renewable Fuel Standard. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

I believe an energy policy that reduces our dependence on fossil fuels, promotes efficiency and facilitates clean energy technologies is critical to addressing climate change and creating jobs.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is important because it promotes the development of advanced biofuels that will help us achieve energy independence and transition to a clean energy economy. By 2022, the RFS will require us to use 36 billion gallons of renewable fuel per year. The RFS also enhances our nation's energy security by encouraging fuel production from renewable domestic sources, decreasing our reliance on imported fossil fuels. This will provide a major incentive to move toward cleaner, more efficient energy technologies.

Because the RFS would increase demand for corn-based ethanol, I understand concerns some have raised that it could cause food prices to rise for consumers and businesses. As debate continues on this issue, I will keep these concerns in mind.

We must work in a bipartisan way to address our long-term energy challenges, to bring families relief from high energy costs and to spur the nation toward energy independence. I will keep your views in mind should related legislation, or similar matters, come before the full Senate for consideration.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future concerns.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Shaheen
United States Senator
what a joke formed response by a office aid
Old 04-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #25
Rich

Yes, I just got the same response.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default As usual

She totally missed the point!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
Grandpa Redneck

Yep, got the same exact generic form letter, S.O.P. It doesn't matter what you contact them about, you get a generic response on the subject. The only one that was any different was Judd Greg, The first paragraph of his responses paraphrased your letter/email and then it went on to explain his position on the issue, I am sure that was also a staffer doing it, but at least it showed that someone in the office actually read what you wrote.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #28
dave603

Default It's all politics

Got a different one from Ayotte who was against it.
Just aggravating dealing with them all.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #29
AB_Monterey

Default Par for the course - they didn't miss the point. They don't care

My wife sent an email to our reps - Congressman Guinta, Senator Ayotte, Senator Shaheen - about the American Community Survey. She had concerns about some of the questions being asked.

Congressman Guinta's office called her to talk about it.

Senator Ayotte's office sent a long involved email, citing legislation introduced in both the House and Senate about it, attaching a video of an interview with the Census Bureau director, telling me where the information will be used, addressing my privacy concerns, etc.

Senator Shaheen's office sent a one paragraph email "mansplaining" to her what a 'Census' is.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #30
Diver Vince

Maybe she's modifying her position due to increased e mail to her office. I received the above response however after re writing her office, received the following reply:

Thank you for contacting my office about ethanol policy. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

As a U.S. Senator, I have been a strong advocate for reducing federal spending through elimination of costly, outdated programs like ethanol subsidies. I believe that continuing price supports for ethanol is especially irresponsible at a time when the federal government is facing significant debt and deficits. These policies often benefit large agriculture companies and artificially raise the price of food for all Americans. This is an industry that no longer needs to be subsidized by taxpayers.

Furthermore, I have concerns about the effect that the demand for ethanol, which is mostly produced from corn, can have on our nation's supply of this crop and on food prices. I recently signed a letter calling on the EPA to grant a waiver adjusting the required level of ethanol in our fuel supply to provide consumers with relief. I am also mindful of the impacts that varying levels of ethanol in blended fuels can have on machinery. I will keep your comments in mind should legislation related to these issues come before the Senate.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Shaheen
United States Senator
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #31
Rich

This makes me think, what if you wrote a letter asking for her opinion on Ethanol in Gasoline, E-10, E15, etc?

Then another letter asking what her thoughts were on subsidies to corn farmers.

Do you think both answers would be the same?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #32
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This makes me think, what if you wrote a letter asking for her opinion on Ethanol in Gasoline, E-10, E15, etc?

Then another letter asking what her thoughts were on subsidies to corn farmers.

Do you think both answers would be the same?
I think you're very astute. In this country we have the best government that money can buy!
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver Vince For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (04-25-2015), trfour (04-25-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #33
Rich

I just received an update from Senator Kelly Ayotte on this:

Quote:
June 1, 2015

Dear Rich:

Thank you for contacting me regarding our nation's ethanol policy. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 26, 2015, Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) introduced the Corn Ethanol Mandate Elimination Act of 2015 (S. 577), which was referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. If enacted, S. 577 would amend the Clean Air Act to terminate the corn ethanol mandate included in the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA's) Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).

I strongly oppose our nation's erroneous ethanol policy and will work to repeal its misguided use of taxpayer dollars. Our nation's energy policy has subsidized domestic ethanol production for nearly four decades. Congress mandates ethanol's use through federally directed markets and the RFS, subsidizes its production through tax credits, grants, and loans, and protects it from competition through tariffs.

Although I am not a member of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, please be assured that I will continue to work toward ending our nation's flawed and costly ethanol policy.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. It is important for me to hear from you regarding the current issues affecting New Hampshire and our nation. Please do not hesitate to be in touch again if I may be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kelly A. Ayotte
U. S. Senator
Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #34
dave603

Got the same letter from her.
Although she sort of makes it sound like she cannot do much since she isn't on that committee.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #35
ApS

Lightbulb Not for Gas Guzzlers...

I haven't had a chance to confirm it with a shopping venture, but an ocean-boating buddy says that ethanol-free gasoline is available from brick-and-mortar boating stores. (Perhaps sold in cans, like turpentine and kerosene).

This would be essential for those with otherwise useful small outboard engines.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #36
Rich

Yes, I've seen it as a pre-mix in Home Depot.

I've also used 'white gas'... AKA Coleman fuel, added my own oil (as you would to gasoline) and used it for years in 23CC and 62CC 2 cycle small gas engines.

It works well, runs clean and doesn't even leave deposits on the fuel lines or fuel tank.

But this doesn't help us with boats on the lake, especially boats that don't fit on a trailer. It's not cheap (per gallon).
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #37
SAB1

I also found non - ethanol fuel at an airfield in Hampton NH behind Seacoast Harley. You pump it yourself and I paid $4.95/gallon. A guy on a snowmobile forum also gave me this link where you can get it from other places.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VT
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-02-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #38
Wolfeboro_Baja

Looks like they're still at it!

I received this email yesterday from Boating United:

Quote:
Speechless. The EPA recetly announced its plans to increase the country’s ethanol mandate to historic levels. That’s right, despite the science and facts about the harms of ethanol, the government is doubling-down on its handout to corn farmers and ethanol producers.

But the government can’t just quietly inflate the levels of ethanol in our fuel without hearing first from the public. They have to collect comments until July 27th—the easiest way to submit a comment, and tell the EPA to reverse course, is right here, right now with Boating United.

To make matters worse, in a gift to the ethanol industry, the White House is handing them a $100 million check to install blender pumps across the US. These are the pumps equipped to dispense E15 and higher blends at your local gas stations. You’ve got that right; the government is doing everything it can to force E15 into our fuel.

Unless we stop them.

If you are afraid of what ethanol can and will do to marine engines, water quality and the environment, then you need to comment. (And while you’re at it, you’ll be asked to send a quick note to your legislators to encourage them to step in and stop the EPA.)

If our industry fails to speak up now, you better believe E15 will be at your corner station before you know it. And that’s bad for boating and for business.
Tell the EPA: No More Ethanol
I hope those blender pumps will have a setting for NO BLEND (i.e., pure gas, no ethanol mixed in)!!

I sent my message, I hope all of you will too!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #39
AC2717

I received the same one
I resent message as well, I doubt it will matter though

AND GAS MILEAGE IS WORSE WITH ETHANOL BLENDED GAS THAN STRAIGHT GAS, ITS BEEN PROVEN over and over again. so we are spending more for the blend, spending more for the fuel and spending more at the pump because the mileage goes down.

what a freaking joke, and it does not even control emissions any better
Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #40
Rich

I just received another alert that the EPA is looking for comments on this.

Please see this link to comment yourself:
http://capwiz.com/boatus/issues/alert/?alertid=67065646

Here's the text on that link, but please use the link above to send your own comments:
Quote:
Comment now on EPA Ethanol Mandate
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is asking for comments on a proposal to increase the amount of ethanol that must be blended into the nation’s fuel supply for 2015 and 2016. If adopted, these proposed levels will require the use of a record amount of ethanol, forcing higher-level fuel blends (including E15 or 15% ethanol) into more gas stations. Remember that most marine engines are built to only work with up to 10% ethanol and it’s prohibited to use gas containing more than 10% ethanol in all marine engines.

Please take a few moments to send a message NOW using the form below to urge the EPA to lower the ethanol mandates to ensure an adequate supply of fuel that will work in your boat.

Background:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is the 2005 law that requires the blending of biofuels such as corn-ethanol into our gasoline. When written, it was assumed that America’s use of gasoline would continue to rise and therefore mandated escalating amounts of biofuels to be blended with our fuel. Since 2005, U.S. gasoline usage has actually dropped steadily and now the law forces more ethanol into fewer gallons of gasoline.

To keep up with this mandate, in 2010 the EPA permitted E15 (fuel containing up to 15% ethanol) into the marketplace for some engines. E15 is prohibited, however, from being used in marine engines, snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines like lawnmowers, as well as any vehicle made before 2001. In multiple studies, E15 has been proven to damage boat engines.

E15 and higher ethanol blends fuel can now be found 24 states, often at the very same pumps as E10 gasoline. The only warning you may have is one sticker mixed in with all the other warning labels on the pump. This creates a huge potential for mis-fueling and puts boaters at risk of using fuel that will damage their engines. CLICK HERE for more information on E15 and the Renewable Fuel Standard.

Thanks for taking action to let EPA hear your voice and sharing how more ethanol will affect your boat engine. Help us out and please FORWARD TO A FRIEND