Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Wolfeboro Police Commissioner

Why they need an 82 year old police commissioner in Wolfeboro I don't know, but he's on his way out. I'm glad he was exposed as the racist he his. Enjoy your new legacy Bob.

Wolfeboro Police Commissioner Robert Copeland, who’s 82 and white, has acknowledged in an email to his fellow police commissioners he used the racial slur in describing Obama. He refused to apologize or resign, even saying in an email that Obama 'meets and exceeds my criteria for' using the slur.

Residents like Frank Bader say: “All this man did was express his displeasure with the man who’s in office”, problem is, Frank, this man is one of three members of the police commission, which hires, fires and disciplines officers and sets their salaries. Being an admitted racist makes it impossible to do his job without bias.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz31sCDwnxl
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
tabascocat98 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Billy Bob

Now here is a guy with several loose nuts that has to go right away!
This is just not acceptable and reflects a bias that I am sure impacts the people he works with and is part of this idiots hireling logic . Or lack there of
Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Seems as though towns in the Lakes Region are getting some national news coverage that does not reflect favorably on some of our elected officials. Yes, the outbursts in the Gilford school board meeting were uncalled for, however, the man should simply have been made to leave the meeting and not handcuffed and arrested.

The police commissioner situation in Wolfeboro is inexcusable. It's a good example of people not willing to step up and run for office. Why was Mr. Copeland running unopposed? Oh well, a former Wolfeboro police commissioner is presently serving time in an Illinois prison.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Wolfeboro Police Commissioner

Really, Mr. Copeland? Your time is past. Go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

WCVB - BOSTON
Quote:
WOLFEBORO, N.H. —A police commissioner in a predominantly white New Hampshire town says he won't apologize for calling President Barack Obama the N-word, and he sat with his arms crossed while angry residents at a meeting called for his resignation on Thursday.
see complete article and video here...

http://www.wcvb.com/news/nh-police-c...5993432#!NXRpn

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Merrymeeting

Sounds like he and Donald Sterling would make great cell mates. Two very angry, grumpy, and probably lonely old men.

Sadly, another indication of the difficulty of filling volunteer town positions. While most (all?) would prefer someone more qualified for the position, it was unopposed in the last election.

The hopeful good news is that this may stimulate others to come forward and serve.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
znh

Totally agree he needs to go. But the one thing that almost bothers me more is the repetitive insistence in the news article to remind everyone just how 'white' the town and State are. What's the point here ? It shouldn't matter if it's 99% white or 2% white this is still completely wrong regardless of the demographics of where it occurred. This should not be about race at all and to keep pointing that out just comes off wrong IMO.

As for the Commissioner, I can't imagine he can stay in this position. Plus his additional comment of "For this, I do not apologize. He meets and exceeds my criteria for such" is just off the charts ignorant and reprehensible. I do agree he has the right to say this and everyone has the rights to their opinions, right or wrong, but keep it in private and if you are a Public Official be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Too bad this will make National news and perpetuate a false image of our lovely State...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to znh For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (05-16-2014), Natt (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
pcmc

Darn, where is my 10ft pole when I need it.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Diver Vince

What a first rate dummy! He's entitled to have his personal opinions. What public officials utter in a public place has sunk many folks (think Mitt Romney, and the only connection is the town of Wolfeboro).

If Copeland had even a modicum of sense after being overheard and called out by Ms O'Tool, he would have done what all politicians do, deny deny deny (I'm sorry you must have heard someone else utter that). Unbelieveable that he had the temerity to admit slandering the president of the U.S. by his racial comments. This hurts the town of Wolfeboro and also the State of NH.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
winterh

I have no sympathy for this guy but something about the whole thing is very scary. From what I understand this was a private conversation. When you combine this with what happened to Donald Sterling, the guy from Firefox, the 2 brothers who lost their home improvement show for opposing gay marriage and many more politically correct witch hunts it is obvious the thought police are out in full force and they will come for you next. I guess he can expect an IRS audit soon for his comments.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
Mboro_Bill (05-16-2014), WINNOCTURN (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I have no sympathy for this guy but something about the whole thing is very scary. From what I understand this was a private conversation. When you combine this with what happened to Donald Sterling, the guy from Firefox, the 2 brothers who lost their home improvement show for opposing gay marriage and many more politically correct witch hunts it is obvious the thought police are out in full force and they will come for you next. I guess he can expect an IRS audit soon for his comments.
Except Donald Sterling and the Duck Dynasty nuts aren't elected members of a police commission, which hires, fires and disciplines officers and sets their salaries. Being an admitted racist makes it impossible to do his job without bias.
See ya Bob
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Happy Gourmand

"For this, I do not apologize. He meets and exceeds my criteria for such"

I have to wonder about his criteria. But then, it seems pretty evident.
Is there an impeachment or election recall procedure for removal of elected officials who turn out to be less than desireable for the position they hold?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
christo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Except Donald Sterling and the Duck Dynasty nuts aren't elected members of a police commission, which hires, fires and disciplines officers and sets their salaries. Being an admitted racist makes it impossible to do his job without bias.
See ya Bob
Why are the duck dynasty guys nuts? because they have different political views than you ?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo1 View Post
Why are the duck dynasty guys nuts? because they have different political views than you ?
Political, no. I could care less about one's political view.

Phil Robertson is a religious nut.

Anyone is free to believe whatever they want, so I am free to say that Phil Robertson is a religious nut. His own words prove that.

Let's keep it lake related, he's a loon.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
jmen24

Quote:

Anyone is free to believe whatever they want, so I am free to say that Phil Robertson is a religious nut. His own words prove that.

So it is safe to say that Robertson meets your criteria to be called/labeled a "nut"!

Now not many folks are going to go up in arms about your use of that word to label someone, mostly because it is currently socially OK to use that word to describe a person.

I wonder what types of words used to describe certain people, were socially accepted when these old men where in their younger years? I know what kind of language my grandfather (born 1922) and great-grandmother (born 1906) used to describe folks of color or different orientation. I never considered them racist, they didn't spout those terms in hate, just as a description, with no interest in understanding or acceptance. My parents never talked like that and good people were regarded as good people, irregardless of their beliefs, orientation or color. Those that you did not agree with or have interest in were left to their own. We were not in a position to judge their beliefs or choices! Focus on you and what makes you happy, not what makes you popular or "better"! Not everyone grew up with parents like that and for that I consider myself lucky.

Their's was a very different time than today. If this thread teaches anything, it should be that no one's personal opinion is free from judgment and is only one generation away from being deemed socially repulsive!

I just hope that my kids are allowed to have an opinion, let alone voice it anywhere, when they reach their 30's!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
So it is safe to say that Robertson meets your criteria to be called/labeled a "nut"!

Now not many folks are going to go up in arms about your use of that word to label someone, mostly because it is currently socially OK to use that word to describe a person.

I wonder what types of words used to describe certain people, were socially accepted when these old men where in their younger years? I know what kind of language my grandfather (born 1922) and great-grandmother (born 1906) used to describe folks of color or different orientation. I never considered them racist, they didn't spout those terms in hate, just as a description, with no interest in understanding or acceptance. My parents never talked like that and good people were regarded as good people, irregardless of their beliefs, orientation or color. Those that you did not agree with or have interest in were left to their own. We were not in a position to judge their beliefs or choices! Focus on you and what makes you happy, not what makes you popular or "better"! Not everyone grew up with parents like that and for that I consider myself lucky.

Their's was a very different time than today. If this thread teaches anything, it should be that no one's personal opinion is free from judgment and is only one generation away from being deemed socially repulsive!

I just hope that my kids are allowed to have an opinion, let alone voice it anywhere, when they reach their 30's!
Great point. As I said before, we are talking about a specific word that NEVER has a justification to be used. The word I used, nut, refers to my opinion of his mental status, not a derogatory term to describe a race of people. Had he called Obama almost any other word, there would be no discussion or call for resignation.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Great point. As I said before, we are talking about a specific word that NEVER has a justification to be used. The word I used, nut, refers to my opinion of his mental status, not a derogatory term to describe a race of people. Had he called Obama almost any other word, there would be no discussion or call for resignation.
NEVER has a justification to be used? Do you know how the blacks talk to each other down south? Do you know what they call each other?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
NEVER has a justification to be used? Do you know how the blacks talk to each other down south? Do you know what they call each other?
Forget down south. Listen to the lyrics in black rap music.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
fatlazyless

..... once you get to be 80 just seems like he should be getting a second chance for saying something stupid ..... plus it seems likely that he probably had an adult beverage or two and was just shoot'n his mouth off .... even if he really feels that way ..... it would have been smart to back-peddle and just apologize for what he said ....everyone says dopey stuff depending on your mood and the situation and to whom u r talking with ... especially after having a beer or two or three

.... "discretion is the better part of valour" .... in other words .... it's wise to be careful and avoid un-necessary risks
Old 05-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
..... once you get to be 80 just seems like he should be getting a second chance for saying something stupid ..... plus it seems likely that he probably had an adult beverage or two and was just shoot'n his mouth off .... even if he really feels that way ..... it would have been smart to back-peddle and just apologize for what he said ....everyone says dopey stuff depending on your mood and the situation and to whom u r talking with ... especially after having a beer or two or three

.... "discretion is the better part of valour" .... in other words .... it's wise to be careful and avoid un-necessary risks
When he took his second chance he refused to attempt a comeback he double downed and kept up the crazy talk, and this guy does the hireling
Old 05-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
HomeWood

Quote:
I live down south. That word is used so often by a certain segment of the population here, I do not even hear it anymore. It's like hearing the word like. It is used out of anger and embrace. It is very confusing! I wish I had a dollar for every time I was called a racial slur here or when my skin color was the basis of an insult. I could have moved back home to New England by now but I've got a little ways to go for that.

Last edited by HomeWood; 05-18-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #22
Pineedles

This thread will be the demise of the Winnipesaukee.com/forum! The PC crowd will call some bigots, and the non-PC crowd will feel their 1st Amendment rights are being threatened. I think most members are good people, just expressing their opinion. Close the discussion now! I know this is an area where controversial topics can be discussed but this discussion may be on national news. Let's just let it die a natural death and not let the flatlanders be entertained by us.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
This thread will be the demise of the Winnipesaukee.com/forum! The PC crowd will call some bigots, and the non-PC crowd will feel their 1st Amendment rights are being threatened. I think most members are good people, just expressing their opinion. Close the discussion now! I know this is an area where controversial topics can be discussed but this discussion may be on national news. Let's just let it die a natural death and not let the flatlanders be entertained by us.
This is a easy going forum where I find it more enjoyable to discuss specific lake or lake region issues but this really is one of them. However, the topic is a much bigger issue than what can be confined within the town borders of Wolfeboro.

I completely understand what you mean by this response but I immediately pictured a head in the sand or fingers in the ears saying "La La La La". I'm not sure why Wolfeboro needs police commissioners but did this guy do a good job? That needs to be considered prior to the pitch forks coming out. Our VP of this country has said some really racially boneheaded things and he was never at risk of being run out of office for them.

I do not agree with what this guy said but is it becoming social policy to tar and feather for every stupid thing said these days? Have all of us not said something stupid and off the cuff a time or two? Next time you say something dumb at work, will you voluntarily resign or agree with being terminated? If you do not plan to vacate your position for such a mistake, then you need to extend some degree of consideration to this guy too. Do not mistake that with accepting the behavior. I understand public figures are held (sometimes) to a higher standard. This is a lakes region issue and it has made national news. However, I do not see this forum's conversation creating any kind of punch line for Saturday Night Live.

Last edited by HomeWood; 05-18-2014 at 01:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #24
Jmo77011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
... I know this is an area where controversial topics can be discussed but this discussion may be on national news. Let's just let it die a natural death and not let the flatlanders be entertained by us.
It made the news here in DFW. So did the Gilford school board meeting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmo77011 For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-18-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:11 AM   #25
MeredithMan

Default He's made it to CNN....

....video clip from last week's town meeting....it is out on CNN.com today if this link doesn't work....

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...slur.wmur.html
Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #26
Woodsy

I am probably going to get flamed for this but it needs to be said...

Where is Archie Bunker when you need him???

"Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness" - Lenny Bruce

IMHO it is ok to offend and BE offended in America! When someone spouts off saying something that may offend you, giving them the knowledge that you were offended only empowers them. This should have died a nice quiet death. Instead its become a media circus because it sells advertising.

PBF.... you used the word "nuts" in a derogatory way to describe someone's mental state. Years ago it might have been the words "gay" or "retard" or "moron". Eventually the word "nuts" will go the way of previous words and shall not be uttered unless we are discussing almonds or cashews.

The African American Hip Hop culture (note the use of politically correct terms) routinely uses that very same "N" word in a derogatory fashion and sells millions of $$$ and is heard by millions of people. Where is the public outcry? Some 82 year old man in a small white town in NH uses the "N" word and the whole world comes down on him?? Please! Who cares? Its all about media hype. I don't condone the use of that word, but its a just a word. If he wants to use and utter that word or any word no matter how offensive, that is his right under the 1st Amendment under the Constitution of the United States of America.... last I checked, Wolfeboro was part of the United States. If the people of Wolfeboro don't like the job he is doing or what he said, then don't re-elect him. If there is a recall procedure, then follow it and remove him from office.

Woodsy
BroadHopper (05-20-2014), chipj29 (05-20-2014), Crusty (05-19-2014), Grandpa Redneck (05-19-2014), jmen24 (05-19-2014), secondcurve (05-20-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
tis

I have to agree with you Woodsy, it is way overblown. A little old nobody and it is such a big deal…..
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Islander2

Default He has resigned... according to WMUR

http://www.wmur.com/news/wolfeboro-p...-slur/26055940
Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #29
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I live down south. That word is used so often by a certain segment of the population here, I do not even hear it anymore. It's like hearing the word like. It is used out of anger and embrace. It is very confusing! I wish I had a dollar for every time I was called a racial slur here or when my skin color was the basis of an insult. I could have moved back home to New England by now but I've got a little ways to go for that.
Oh yes, you are right! It is used affectionately-by women. We whites seem to think it is always used in a bad way and that just isn't true.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #30
Sue Doe-Nym

There should be no argument that Mr. Copeland has every right to say what he wants; however, he should also realize that he must accept responsibility for what he says, which he apparently has. What he doesn't seem to understand is that as an ELECTED town official his statements are magnified many times over and reflect adversely on the people and town of Wolfeboro.

Let's hear it from the voters of Wolfeboro who must bear a lot of the blame for electing such a person. Especially Wolfeboro people who neglected to register to vote and those registered voters who did not vote.

It's your town and you are responsible for who you elect.

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 05-18-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #31
ApS

Wink

Quote:
If Copeland had added "Benghazi", nothing would've made the news.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (05-20-2014), Pineedles (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #32
Rusty

I was at the Clark Plaza in Wolfeboro today and Mr. Copeland was standing outside of a Katie’s Kitchen talking to a young African American. He called her by her first name and said: “HI, I haven’t seen you for a while”. She said Hi back and they had a little conversation and both got alone very well. He seemed like a very nice gentleman and also talked to a few other people. If I didn’t know that he got in trouble with what he said at the restaurant, I would say he was a polite and easy going person.
However he was very loud when he talked and that could be a sign that he is hard of hearing.

I still believe that he dislikes the President because of political reasons and is not a raciest in the true meaning of the word.

Having said that, it is in the best interest of Wolfeboro that he did step down so that this little town can get back to enjoying what it has to offer.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #33
tis

Rusty, the more I hear about this, the more I agree with you. It is a political thing, not a racial thing. He dislikes the President for his politics not for his color. I also think that those who like the President are the ones who shouted the loudest about this.

The other thing that is interesting as you read what people (that are not from around here) write, is that they seem to think police commissioner is a big job because they say things like they hope he doesn't get pay or hope he doesn't get his retirement. WHAT? Retirement? It is practically a volunteer position. They can hardly get someone to run for it. People certainly aren't beating down the doors to become a police commissioner in Wolfeboro. Or any other elected office for that matter. Most of the positions this spring were unopposed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (05-20-2014), Rusty (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
Rusty

Quote:
Rusty, the more I hear about this, the more I agree with you. It is a political thing, not a racial thing. He dislikes the President for his politics not for his color. I also think that those who like the President are the ones who shouted the loudest about this.

The other thing that is interesting as you read what people (that are not from around here) write, is that they seem to think police commissioner is a big job because they say things like they hope he doesn't get pay or hope he doesn't get his retirement. WHAT? Retirement? It is practically a volunteer position. They can hardly get someone to run for it. People certainly aren't beating down the doors to become a police commissioner in Wolfeboro. Or any other elected office for that matter. Most of the positions this spring were unopposed.
tis,
I am as liberal as any liberal can be and I think that Mr. Copeland is a good person even though he made one HUGE mistake.
I've probably got myself in trouble here for talking too much politics but I think a very good persons reputation has been ruined because one person got offended by what she heard in a private conversation.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #35
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
tis,
I am as liberal as any liberal can be and I think that Mr. Copeland is a good person even though he made one HUGE mistake.
I've probably got myself in trouble here for talking too much politics but I think a very good persons reputation has been ruined because one person got offended by what she heard in a private conversation.
I think you said it very well. I don't think he is a mean person.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
If Copeland had added "Benghazi", nothing would've made the news.
....oh yeah......duh...... I can remember that old Ben Ghazi ..... i.e. Ben Casey for the uninformed.....tv show from the 1960's.....Ben was a medical doctor in a hospital somewhere or something? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Casey ....
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #37
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....oh yeah......duh...... I can remember that old Ben Ghazi ..... i.e. Ben Casey for the uninformed.....tv show from the 1960's.....Ben was a medical doctor in a hospital somewhere or something? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Casey ....
You are a genius. I would have never figured that out.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #38
christo1

Quote:

I think it is ironic that in a thread about someone using a terrible name to describe someone thay disagree with . That you would be name calling someone you disagree with , just thought it was funny.

On the religous nut thing , I think this country would be in a better place with a little more religion in it .
The Following User Says Thank You to christo1 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (05-18-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #39
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo1 View Post
I think it is ironic that in a thread about someone using a terrible name to describe someone thay disagree with . That you would be name calling someone you disagree with , just thought it was funny.

On the religous nut thing , I think this country would be in a better place with a little more religion in it .
If you believe that name calling someone a "nut" is equal to the insult Copeland used then I am guilty as charged.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
christo1 (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #40
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
The article on WMUR indicated that is was in an email to fellow commissioners.

Quote:
Wolfeboro Police Commissioner Robert Copeland, who's 82 and white, has acknowledged in an email to his fellow police commissioners he used the racial slur in describing Obama.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #41
CateP

I think it speaks volumes about all those who are speaking up here and filled the Wolfeboro library yesterday to protest this man's blatant and public racial slur. We are a good state, a good town, a good community that I am proud of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (05-19-2014), Winnigirl (05-16-2014), winnisummergal (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #42
Crusty

I don't spend a lot of time in Wolfeboro, nor am I familiar with its racial make-up. I do not know the "gentleman" in question. However, in my own life, I have encountered real racists (on both sides) and some "apparent" racists. It is my considered opinion that you cannot determine a person's true racial bias based on a single word in a private conversation regarding the relative merits of the President of the United States. Words carry different meanings and weights, depending on a person's background and the context of use.

My point is that rather than defining 82 years of life by the private use of a single word, let's look at his whole and current record. Is he competent at his job? If not, remove him on that basis. Does racial bias affect how he does his job? If yes, then shame on Wolfeboro for keeping him this long. Is he too old? [Careful: age discrimination] Is his mind going? Is he unpleasant to work with? Does he have any black friends? Does he have any white friends? [Judging from the other posts, I would have to say "no".]

I'm sorry, but the utterance of one word, without backup material, is a story worthy only of the laziest journalist or of someone with their own agenda. If this man is, indeed, a "racist", then let's see the rest of the evidence. It can't be that well hidden. Let's not waste our efforts creating "racists", instead let's identify the real ones --and, of course, Copeland may well turn out to be one-- by examining their deeds and actions. Then we can be well rid of them.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Buoy #67 (05-17-2014), Charlie T (05-16-2014), chasedawg (05-16-2014), Cornell-Kimball-L-A (05-29-2014), Grandpa Redneck (05-16-2014), Jeanzb1 (05-16-2014), jjj (05-16-2014), jmen24 (05-16-2014), Mboro_Bill (05-16-2014), nicole (05-16-2014), Pineedles (05-16-2014), Puffin (05-16-2014), RailroadJoe (05-16-2014), Reilly (05-17-2014), SAB1 (05-19-2014), Sal (05-16-2014), SAMIAM (05-17-2014), Sully (05-17-2014), Tallyho (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #43
winterh

Well said Crusty. Finally someone who thinks logically and without hysterics. Actions matter. Not private thoughts or words. If you treat the individuals you meet and come in contact with respectfully then that is all that should matter. At this point there is no proof he did otherwise. The country is going bankrupt and people are worrying about some old man with little power who used a bad word.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-16-2014), chasedawg (05-16-2014), Mboro_Bill (05-16-2014), nicole (05-16-2014), Puffin (05-16-2014), Reilly (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #44
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
It is my considered opinion that you cannot determine a person's true racial bias based on a single word in a private conversation regarding the relative merits of the President of the United States. Words carry different meanings and weights, depending on a person's background and the context of use...

My point is that rather than defining 82 years of life by the private use of a single word, let's look at his whole and current record...

I'm sorry, but the utterance of one word, without backup material, is a story worthy only of the laziest journalist or of someone with their own agenda. If this man is, indeed, a "racist", then let's see the rest of the evidence. It can't be that well hidden. Let's not waste our efforts creating "racists", instead let's identify the real ones --and, of course, Copeland may well turn out to be one-- by examining their deeds and actions. Then we can be well rid of them.
When Copeland was first heard speaking the word, he was in a public, not private, setting. He was speaking loudly enough that at least one person who was not part of his conversation overheard him. When Copeland was alerted to the fact that he was heard saying this word in a public place, in reference to the president of the United States, he doubled down and admitted that he had, in fact, said what he was being accused of saying. He went even further and refused to apologize, saying that he meant exactly what he said, and he did this in writing. How's that for deeds and actions?

So no, not private. No, not just one word that was perhaps heard out of context. That should be plenty of "evidence" for any reasonable person. Copeland is certainly entitled to his opinion, and the people of Wolfeboro are entitled to have elected officials who represent their values.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (05-17-2014), depasseg (05-16-2014), Diver Vince (05-16-2014), gillygirl (05-16-2014), Heaven (05-16-2014), Overlake97 (05-19-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (05-16-2014), Winnigirl (05-16-2014), winnisummergal (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #45
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
I don't spend a lot of time in Wolfeboro, nor am I familiar with its racial make-up. I do not know the "gentleman" in question. However, in my own life, I have encountered real racists (on both sides) and some "apparent" racists. It is my considered opinion that you cannot determine a person's true racial bias based on a single word in a private conversation regarding the relative merits of the President of the United States. Words carry different meanings and weights, depending on a person's background and the context of use.

My point is that rather than defining 82 years of life by the private use of a single word, let's look at his whole and current record. Is he competent at his job? If not, remove him on that basis. Does racial bias affect how he does his job? If yes, then shame on Wolfeboro for keeping him this long. Is he too old? [Careful: age discrimination] Is his mind going? Is he unpleasant to work with? Does he have any black friends? Does he have any white friends? [Judging from the other posts, I would have to say "no".]

Very well written!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Buoy #67 (05-17-2014), chasedawg (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #46
Newbiesaukee

One fact is clear...this public figure defended, in public , his use of this particular word to describe the President of the United States.

If there is any rational human being in this country who can defend this specific act in this specific circumstance then things are even worse than I feared.

Certainly it his right to say whatever he wishes but it is my right to find this despicable in any situation but intolerable in a public official. Whether he "deserves" to be called a racist based on one utterance IS arguable and totally irrelevant.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #47
sluggo

As Mr. Copeland's point of view was overheard in a public place it still effects our first amendment right to free speech. I don't condone what was said in public but I do feel that the values of what this country is based on are going down the toilet and I fear for the future generations of this great country. And for Ms. Otool that has lived in Wolfeboro for only four months to make a crusade over this open remark has brought a dark cloud to us in the lakes region that will effect this area for a long time with the stigma that it brings . I am sure that when Ms. Otool walks into a local eatery now everyone will know who she is and keep there opinions to themselves or just get up and leave to avoid being on the next national or world news story.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-16-2014), chasedawg (05-16-2014), jmen24 (05-16-2014), Reilly (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #48
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
As Mr. Copeland's point of view was overheard in a public place it still effects our first amendment right to free speech. I don't condone what was said in public but I do feel that the values of what this country is based on are going down the toilet and I fear for the future generations of this great country. And for Ms. Otool that has lived in Wolfeboro for only four months to make a crusade over this open remark has brought a dark cloud to us in the lakes region that will effect this area for a long time with the stigma that it brings . I am sure that when Ms. Otool walks into a local eatery now everyone will know who she is and keep there opinions to themselves or just get up and leave to avoid being on the next national or world news story.....
Very nicely said, sluggo. We all know what the man said was not nice, however, don't we have the right to say what we want to any more? I am very bothered by this fact that lately people do seem to have to be very careful of what they say- we don't have freedom of speech now I guess.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-16-2014), chasedawg (05-16-2014), Jeanzb1 (05-16-2014), Puffin (05-16-2014), Reilly (05-17-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #49
Rusty

This thread is going to turn into a Republican vs Democrat argument and should be locked.
Aldidonato (05-17-2014), dave603 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #50
Crusty

Quote:
This thread is going to turn into a Republican vs Democrat argument and should be locked.
Self-fulfilling prophesy?

This is the first use of either or those terms in this thread. Also, no mention of "conservative" or "liberal" at all. Racial bias is rooted in ignorance, not political bent. There are folks that like to yell "racist" to deflect attention from their own doings, but that, too, is independent of political "flavor".

My thoughts on the matter can be summed up in a few words. [Please note that the word "you" is a general term, and does not necessarily apply to any member of this forum.]

If you are a racist, you are an idiot and I wouldn't waste my time trying to educate you. If you are not a racist, but use language that makes people think that you are, then you are also an idiot. In the latter case, you have my sympathy --but not much. Finally, if you use race-baiting, falsely accuse another of being a racist, use the term without knowing what it means, or tar with a broad brush any community or group that contains a racist, you are despicable.

They don't call me "Crusty" fer nuthin'...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (05-16-2014), jmen24 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #51
secondcurve

Quote:
Self-fulfilling prophesy?

This is the first use of either or those terms in this thread. Also, no mention of "conservative" or "liberal" at all. Racial bias is rooted in ignorance, not political bent. There are folks that like to yell "racist" to deflect attention from their own doings, but that, too, is independent of political "flavor".

My thoughts on the matter can be summed up in a few words. [Please note that the word "you" is a general term, and does not necessarily apply to any member of this forum.]

If you are a racist, you are an idiot and I wouldn't waste my time trying to educate you. If you are not a racist, but use language that makes people think that you are, then you are also an idiot. In the latter case, you have my sympathy --but not much. Finally, if you use race-baiting, falsely accuse another of being a racist, use the term without knowing what it means, or tar with a broad brush any community or group that contains a racist, you are despicable.

They don't call me "Crusty" fer nuthin'...
Well said. This has nothing to do with politics. Sorry Rusty.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #52
Rusty

Calling the President of the United states the "N" word has nothing to do with politics?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #53
secondcurve

Quote:
Calling the President of the United states the "N" word has nothing to do with politics?
That is correct. It is about one man's prejudice. This prejudice just happened to be directed at a public official in this incidence. That has nothing to do with politics.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #54
Rusty

These are the words out of the commissioners mouth and not my words about whether it's political or not:

"In the parking lot after the meeting, Copeland told one woman that when he called Obama “that f------ n-----,” he was speaking politically and not racially."

http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/1...led-at-meeting
Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #55
Crusty

Quote:
These are the words out of the commissioners mouth and not my words about whether it's political or not:

"In the parking lot after the meeting, Copeland told one woman that when he called Obama “that f------ n-----,” he was speaking politically and not racially." [Emphasis added]

http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/1...led-at-meeting
It would appear that Mr. Copeland fits into my second category: not a real racist, just an idiot (and an ill-tempered one, at that) with a big mouth.

Has anyone turned-up any other "racist" evidence against the good Commissioner? I would have expected to see some allegations by now. I really think we can dismiss the whole thing as just an idiot who really dislikes the President's job performance, not his race, but is too damn stubborn to admit that he screwed-up when he was shooting-off his mouth. Perhaps we can take up a collection and send him a thesaurus.

You know something else? I'm sitting here in Columbus, Ohio and if this is the biggest problem you have in Wolfeboro, you are indeed blessed.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #56
HomeWood

The word racism will have more meaning when it is not tolerated from all sides. Until then, it is a boring and pointless conversation. We cannot expect anything to get better when some racism is tolerated because it is somehow politically correct. I do not want to go way into politics, so I'll end it there.

What surprised me most about this story is that Wolfeboro has a police commissioner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (05-17-2014), jmen24 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #57
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post

What surprised me most about this story is that Wolfeboro has a police commissioner.
Right, I was thinking I was the only one that thought it is utterly ridiculous that a town that wouldn't even be classified as mid-sized has not only one, but three commissioners.

The voters of Wolfeboro should really be asking themselves why this position description can't be handled by the Chief. They should also be questioning their criteria for selection, because they have voted some seriously questionable people into this office. Giving citizens power over the police force, apparently goes directly to your head!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #58
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Right, I was thinking I was the only one that thought it is utterly ridiculous that a town that wouldn't even be classified as mid-sized has not only one, but three commissioners.

The voters of Wolfeboro should really be asking themselves why this position description can't be handled by the Chief. They should also be questioning their criteria for selection, because they have voted some seriously questionable people into this office. Giving citizens power over the police force, apparently goes directly to your head!
One more (if I may and then I will shut-up)

I agree with jmen24 and therefore it is time to put this on a the ballot at the next election:

TITLE VII
SHERIFFS, CONSTABLES, AND POLICE OFFICERS

CHAPTER 105-C
POLICE COMMISSIONS

Section 105-C:2
105-C:2 Referendum. – The following questions shall be submitted to the voters of a town on the regular ballot for the election of town officers if a petition is presented to the selectmen in accordance with RSA 39:3 requesting the same:
I. "Shall the government of the police department of the town of __________ be entrusted to a police commission?''
II. "If so, shall such police commissioners be chosen by:
(a) Popular election at town election; or
(b) Appointment of the governor with consent of the council?''
Old 05-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #59
secondcurve

A little clarification on the issue. Copeland's initial comment was verbal and it was overheard by private citizen Jane O'Toole. Given the verbal nature of the comment and the fact it was a private conversation, in a public venue, we can debate whether political correctness has gone too far. etc. However, Copeland's response to Ms. O'Toole's complaint was IN WRITING! The following excerpt from Copeland's WRITTEN response follows and is taken from this week's Granite State News: "I believe I did use the "N" word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse. For this I do not apologize - he meets and exceeds my criteria for such." There are other goodies in Copeland's letter to O'Toole but I think this comment gives everyone a flavor of his incompetence. Basically Copeland's written response is quite similar to Donald Sterling's follow-up interview with Andersen Cooper.......talk about stupid!!

The issues I have beyond the obvious are as follows:

1) The town of Wolfeboro is now highly susceptible to lawsuits brought by any minority who is apprehended by the Wolfeboro police for a crime;

2) What is happening with the Wolfeboro police department? A former commissioner was apprehended for a massive drug smuggling crime. A couple years back another Wolfeboro officer was fired fired for stealing drugs from the police department evidence lock-up and now Copeland's comments. Clearly, my conclusion is the Wolfeboro police department is out of control.

3) If the average corporate executive said anything remotely similar to what Copeland said he/she would be terminated within 24 hours. Look at what is happening to Sterling. He is going to have $1Billion of his private property liquidated for a comment he made in the privacy of his own home. Yet a public official like Copeland cannot be terminated. Give me a break. This is what drives me nuts about government it is like some God given right that government workers can't be fired, can't have their pensions changed, etc., etc. That is what bothers me most about this incident. Government at the national, state and local level is out of control and it needs to be fixed or we are all doomed.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #60
dave603

Default Wolfeboro Police Commish

Is this an elected position?
If it is, then it takes care of itself for the people in that town next election.
If not, then it's still a problem for that town only, and no one else from any other area need be involved.

Yes he's got an issue. But it's their town not yours, so stop complaining about it if your not from there.

Personally if it was in my town, I'd kind of want someone " let's say" a little younger than 82 looking over my police force.

Times have somewhat changed as they say, he has not. But again, not my town, not my problem.

i'd also say keep politics out of this website. it's more for fun, not for this.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #61
tis

Yes, this IS an elected position. He was the only one who ran as is very typical in Wolfeboro. There are not very many contested races.

I don't think anybody is blaming Mrs. O'Toole, and she has a right to say that she doesn't like what he said, but doesn't he also have a right to say what he wants? Shouldn't it have been between the two of them? That is my point. People say awful things every day. Why do things get blown so out of proportion? Maybe I am just too much live and let live, I don't know.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #62
P-3 Guy

Quote:
I don't think anybody is blaming Mrs. O'Toole, and she has a right to say that she doesn't like what he said, but doesn't he also have a right to say what he wants?
Of course he has the right to say what he wants; I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise. But anyone who says stupid stuff (in this case, really inflammatory stupid stuff) who also holds a position of public responsibility has to expect some consequences. I think many people in Wolfeboro would say, "you can say whatever stupid stuff you want Mr. Copeland, but I don't want you to say it and also represent me as a one of our police commissioners."

Quote:
Shouldn't it have been between the two of them? That is my point. People say awful things every day. Why do things get blown so out of proportion?
If Copeland wasn't serving as an elected official, with responsibility for hiring, firing and disciplining certain town employees, I would completely agree with you. And if that was the case, I bet that most people would just roll their eyes and make a mental note to stay away from the guy in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (05-16-2014), secondcurve (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #63
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
Ah, I see now. This is all Jane O'Toole's fault. Because, you know, it's OK for a racist to hold elected office in Wolfeboro, as long as nobody outside town knows about it.

Sheesh... talk about shooting the messenger.

Also - what is the first amendment implication here? As far as I know, no government agency or body has taken any action against Robert Copeland for what he has said. No one has told him he can't say whatever he wants. But neither he nor anyone else should be surprised that when he says the things that he has said, there will be a strong negative reaction. Or should he not have to suffer the consequences of his actions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (05-17-2014), Overlake97 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #64
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post

Certainly it his right to say whatever he wishes but it is my right to find this despicable in any situation but intolerable in a public official.
Not to obfuscate this discussion, but you do not have a right to say whatever you wish, ESPECIALLY in a public place setting. Alternatively, you do have a right to think whatever you wish.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #65
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:

I agree that people should be judged not by a single action. Too many people have said something stupid and been labeled a racist, homophobe, etc.

Here's my point. If you have a "criteria" where you feel the N word is appropriate then you are racist. There is never a time when using that word is justified. Having a "criteria" at 82 years old tells me he's probably come across others who he feels meet his standard.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
depasseg (05-16-2014), Just Sold (05-16-2014), Newbiesaukee (05-16-2014), Winnigirl (05-16-2014)