Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
sa meredith

Default Village Kitchen

I know I am late to the game with this place, as I am sure it is a favorite of many lake "regulars", but I had just never been. So Friday morning, after waking to cold, wind, and rain (although the weather turned quickly at noon, and it turned out to be a great boat day) I was looking to kill some time, so instead of George's in Meredith, I figured why not take a ride and try to find "Village Kitchen" (Country Cookin' ?).
What a great spot! I cannot believe what we have been missing.
Just a perfect, old school, lake type restaurant.
Great food, great service. Had my coffee within 30 seconds of sitting down at the counter, and my food roughly 4 minutes after ordering. Sausage gravy over biscuits, which is tough to get just right, and needs to be served piping hot. Their's was perfect. The eggs were perfect, and the home fires perfect.
Great place. If you have not been, give it a try.
I'll certainly be back.

Last edited by sa meredith; 06-16-2009 at 04:30 PM.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
luvmypups

Thumbs up Definately a great place!!

Village Kitchen is definately the spot to go for breakfast, I love their breakfast food. Also, they have really good lunch sandwiches and a great fish fry on Friday nights too. Give it a try for lunch and dinner too. I love the VK
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
hazelnut

sa, Oh man you got that right. The VK is pretty awesome in many ways. I marvel at the speed of service all without making you feel rushed. It's a great stop in the winter when out on the sled. I've had dinner a few times over the years and that's always good. We've been going to the VK since they were located in an old gas station up the street. I'm glad they moved because it was getting harder and harder to convince my wife to go because it was a tad dirty. The new place is anything but. It's nice, bright, clean and airy. We love this place! Hardest working waitresses in the Lakes Region IMO!!! Quite a few of the girls have been there for many many years. Consistency is a major key to their success both food and employees.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
twoplustwo

Default the best omelette around

ditto, double ditto, and thritto . We love the VK!
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
patman

As year-round residents, VK has been a solid favorite of my family for years. It's my favorite lunch spot in January-February because a) it's open, and b) I can get hot food fast to warm up from the walk in from the car.

Simple, straightforward, nuthin' fancy, just good food and good service at a great price. I'm amazed at how quickly the orders arrive at the table, and the staff is always friendly and glad to see you.

I was a bit sad to see the old wavy floor go, but...it was probably better to do that than have the building collapse. (Anyone know who did the floor/joist replacement work? Top notch job, and faster than I would have imagined possible.) They have an ATM there now, and that solves the 'got cash?' question. Progress marches on...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Heaven

Been my favorite for years, love the homemade bread/toast
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
michael c

Please tell me: where are you talking about?
i know the new place that is in the old bank building nearly across from the "cinema" in Gilford and i know the place out on rt 25 in M boro...am I close ? are we talking even close here?
thanks
M
Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Please tell me: where are you talking about?
i know the new place that is in the old bank building nearly across from the "cinema" in Gilford and i know the place out on rt 25 in M boro...am I close ? are we talking even close here?
thanks
M
Michael, Route 25 heading towards the metropolis known as Moultonboro where the "Olde Country Store" is. Well before that and on the right before the High School.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Meredith lady

Smile Vk

Who doesn't love the VK? It's a great place and the owners are the nicest people you will ever meet. Service, food, smiling faces...they have it all!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Dave M

Default Vk

Always stop in on Friday nights when coming up to the Lake for their fish plate. What I miss though is the hash & eggs where the hash was homemade. It was a breakfast I looked forward to since it wasn't a regular at home. Maybe it wasn't requested a lot and resulted in the change. I stopped asking for it. Has this changed? Any comment Samiam.

Been going there since the gas station place. Better get there early because there will be a line.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I always say I am a walking billboard for the VK. I tell everyone about the place.
Breakfast was awesome last Saturday. Don't know why but for some reason I thought it was even better than usual. I always tip well there, but feel that I should tip the cooks too. They do a great job at getting the food out fast. We did learn quickly that you can't get there late on Prime Rib night....
We always kid that we get in and out of the there within a half hour, and if we don't then we figure something is wrong with our watches......

Oh and thank God for the ATM!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Nagigator

Smile can't miss

Veggie omelette and the Farmer's breakfast, enough said..........
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
sa meredith

Default same thing

Well..cold and rain again tomorrow morning (Friday). I'm going to do a repeat of post #1, and am really looking forward to it. How it took me 5 years to get to VK is beyond me.
Perhaps seek out SAMIAM and say hello.
Now, with the cold, wind, and rain on what will be a lazy Friday morning, if they only offered Bloody Marys........
Would be a nice way to kick off what will be an indoor day, watching the US Open Golf.

Last edited by sa meredith; 06-18-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Default The Village Kitchen

STAY AWAY. ( so I don't have to wait in line! )
Seriously.....the best value for consistantly good food anywhere around. The waitstaff is a study in efficiency and good service.
Hungry? The FARMER's breakfast can't be beat...don't forget the beans!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default A treasure

When our now 26 year old son was between the ages of 7-15, he spent every summer at our cottage with his grandmother (my mother, who now lives in Phoenix, from whence we just returned). Lucky son!! My mother's and son's daily routine included the Moultonborough dump, the post office, lunch at the CK, and then a little food shopping at Heath's. They were such regulars at the CK, that before they even sat down, their beverages of choice were at the table! Great food at an amazing price....and you cannot beat their breakfasts and evening specials. Kudos to their customer service, as well.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I like Samiam and have been looking for his restaurant, but can't seem to find it. We were in Moultonboro today and couldn't see it, even remembering your directions, hazelnut. When you say well before the country store are you coming from Tamworth or Center Harbor? Is it on the same side as the school or the opposite?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default directions...

If you were coming from Meredith, cruising along RT25, you'd come to Center Harbor, pass many shops, Red Hill Dari (on the left), the old Grill 25(on the right) keep going, out of civilization, and then back in at Moultonboro, and eventually it will come up on your right hand sign. Beware of the sign:
"COUNTRY COOKIN' village kitchen" . Not hard to find.
Village Kitchen is written very small.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
tis

Oh, thank you sa! That's why. We have been to Country Cookin' tons of time. I just didn't realize that is also the VK! I am so glad to know it now. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #19
hazelnut

Brings up a good point we can all ask SAMIAM. Why is Country Cookin on the sign so large and the name of the place "Village Kitchen" so small? Either way the food's still great!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #20
tis

Yes it is great food and obviously very popular. I am so glad to know which restarurant you have been talking about for so long!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Glad you asked, Hazelnut. And there is a reason............when we moved here 15 years ago, we wanted to be sure that people driving by knew what kind of food we serve. Being on a busy road, we thought that more important than just the name. It's true, too....most of our recipes come from "old timers" like Hazel Straw, Martha Oliver, Gerry Smith....all local gals that worked at the original Longwood Farms restaurant which is now the site of Canoe. Also some of my aunt Arlene's recipes, who owned a farm in Sanbornton, call for "butter the size of an egg" or a"pinch" of this or that. Every now and then we have to include something trendy such as our new healthy salads....spring greens with broiled fish or shrimp...tomato's stuffed with seafood salad....things like that are selling well but our first love is old time yankee cooking and it's served us well.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Cristen (02-06-2011), hazelnut (06-21-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
patman

Had lunch at VK today, I got a Moultonburger, my wife had the fried haddock (which she said was extra good today for some reason) Nothing left on either plate when we were done. Yummy!
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #23
JimD

Default Roastbeef Hash

Please bring back the the roastbeef hash. Thanks
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Please bring back the the roastbeef hash. Thanks
I asked about the roast beef hash on my last visit. Apparently it came from a can and they added onions. I was told it is no longer available. They do have corned beef hash which is good.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
tis

We went Wed night and 3 of us had the turkey dinner. It was delicious! I asked for Samiam but he wasn't there. I am sorry I missed him.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #26
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We went Wed night and 3 of us had the turkey dinner. It was delicious! I asked for Samiam but he wasn't there. I am sorry I missed him.
So, is SAM the female or, IAM the female.... that is the $1M question
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #27
SAMIAM

Sorry I missed you, too, wifi......just getting lazy in my old age and sneak out early every day. Always around in the A.M., though. And, just for the record........my wife's name is Sammie and I'm Bob. I stole her Samiam handle to use in the forum and she is constantly giving me the evil eye for fear that I'll put my foot in my mouth and she'll get blamed.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
wifi (06-28-2009)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #28
tis

Hey, Sam, it wasn't wifi that went, it was me. Aren't you sorry you missed us?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #29
SAMIAM

Sorry isn't the word,tis......more like heartbroken......especially after all the nice things you said.Actually, I enjoy reading all of your posts because they are always positive .Really nice to see.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #30
SAMIAM

Sorry isn't the word, tis......more like heartbroken ......especially after all the nice things you said. Actually, I enjoy reading all of your posts because they are always positive. Really nice to see.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #31
sa meredith

Default last Friday...

I, too, asked for SAMIAM, on Friday morning, the 26th...fully expecting him to be the gentleman with the glasses working the grille (and doing a hell or a job, by the way), but was surprised when our young waitress pointed out the window to a person doing some weed whacking in the back, and told us that was him. Never did get to say , "hi"...another time.
We had a waitress who's service was perfect...very friendly, and she was happy to put up with us, as both my buddy and I were sporting serious hang overs. For some reason, we thought it very funny when our small OJs came out in what appeared to be shot glasses. It just seemed funny...OJ in a shot glass, and we laughed more than was polite...but she took it the right way, and offered an upgrade to large. Anyway, she told us this was her summer job (home from school), and that her mother also worked there. And, as we left, there was mom at the door, waiting to give us a verbal "slap" as we left, for laughing at her daughter. It was certainly all in fun though. And mom knew that.
SAMIAM...you have great place there...and a great team working for you.
I'm sorry it took me so long to find it.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
tis

Well, now I feel better Sam. I always like your posts too and that is why I was looking so forward to meeting you. I don't know as I am always positive. When I get going about the government, I certainly don't feel very positive. We, like you, have a business and get so sick of trying to keep up with all the rules and regulations so I think we understand each other. Then when you are done work, and you want to do something around your house, you have to go through another whole fight! See, I am not very positive after all! But thank you.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #33
Hermit Cover

Default It's the Service.....

When Mrs. HC and I were looking for lakefront real estate one of our requirements was proximity to good meals...especially during the construction phase. The VK answered the need for feed....good feed...in spades. The food is always tasty, plentiful, and ready in minutes...or less. Many times my lunch is in front of me before I sit down!!!! That my fellow Forum-ites, is service. The waitresses are superb (no waiters).....they know the specials...they know the menu...and in a few visits...they know the customers.

The owners, Bob and Sammie, are really nice people and the menu and specials are very reasonably priced and varied. The dining room is always clean (I don't know about the kitchen..they won't let me back there) but I am sure it too, is spotless.

But back to the service....which I have determined is the over-riding reason for the VK popularity....the wait staff should be called the "no-wait" staff...and they are friendly, always wearing a smile, with a pleasant greeting for every customer. I would honestly say that the one fault the VK has is that the place is closed on Monday.....

Oh, well...we've got a great new kitchen at home!! If only they delivered!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #34
old coot
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Sorry isn't the word, tis......more like heartbroken......especially after all the nice things you said. Actually, I enjoy reading all of your posts because they are always positive. Really nice to see.
I agree, SAMIAM, tis is a pleasantly positive poster!
oc
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #35
Shreddy

Default Waiting in line...

I love waiting in line on the porch at the VK on the weekend and seeing newbies come strolling through to try and put their names in for a table!

BACK OF THE LINE!
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #36
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I love waiting in line on the porch at the VK on the weekend and seeing newbies come strolling through to try and put their names in for a table!

BACK OF THE LINE!

List? There is no LIST? Back in line!!!!

That is one of the things that is so great about the VK. You always know where you stand in terms of when you're getting a table!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #37
wishiwasthere

Smile Love the VK!!

I am another that has been going since it was in the gas station. Before kids my husband and I would drive up 2.5hrs sometimes on a Sunday morning so he could get the farmers breakfast, with a side of beans to go! Hmmm, now that the kids are older maybe we could do that this Sunday, I hate to wait until our vacation week July 18th. OH JEEZE the sun is out gotta go get outside!!
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #38
sa meredith

Default busy

Same old story here....went yesterday, and the food and service continues to be top notch.
Kind of strange...it was Friday, at 10:30, and the line was down the whole porch, and out the door. A weekday, and really late for breakfast..but they were full...well above capacity.
They are printing money at this place. And they deserve every penny. With such high volume, you would think quailty would slip, but they really have their act together, and play as a team. You can see it.
Anyway...
SAMIAM...quick question. As we were leaving, my buddy pointed out a truck next to the car with the SAMIAM vanity plate. The truck had a vanity plate, and it was simply 4 letters. I'm guessing it is yours, and that the letters stand for what I think they do. Classic! Too funny. (If indeed it is your truck)
Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #39
SAMIAM

Thanks for the kind words, sa and to answer your question.......Samiam is my wife Sammie's plate and mine has my grandkids initials.......I've been told that it has another meaning.....taken from an old movie
Old 07-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #40
sa meredith

Default really?!

Yeah, in fact the expression is indeed fairly common. As you are the owner, I was certain the the letters stood for what I thought.
Some would think it funny, others would think it in poor taste. Put me in the first catagory.
Anyway...don't know where you find your employees, but you sure do find good ones!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #41
SAMIAM

We are so lucky, sa. Sammie and I love our crew, many who have been with us 20 years or more. Our dining room manager, Rhonda keeps running beautifully and truly appreciates every customer...it's like having a partner out there. Our kitchen manager Trish and night manager Seth both have lots of experience and keep the back of the house running like a top. It's a pleasure to be in the kichen because everyone has a great attitude. They work hard but love to horse around and tease each other a bit which keeps morale up. All of our cooks are Servsafe certified and all of our waitress' are trained in CPR and certified on the defibrillator......so if that big cheesegurger gives you a heart attack.....not to worry, one of the girls will shock you right back up to your plate
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #42
tis

Sam. Now that I know you are the owner, I have a question. How come you quit serving tripe? Was there not enough call for it or did it become too hard to get? I love it and some of our friends and relatives do too and we miss it.
I know it is something you either hate or love.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #43
SAMIAM

Tis......man, you must be an ol' Yankee......we bought our tripe from a man in Maine who was the only guy on the east coast doing fresh pickled tripe. When he got out of the business we looked everywhere......asked all of our suppliers but nobody has it. Lot's of lesser stuff like frozen imported stuff. We tried it and it didn't measure up. I'd love to have it back....lots of locals like it. If you ever find someone that has it, just let me know and I'll get it back. Now that you've reminded me, I'll look around again.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #44
tis

I thought that might be the problem, but I am so glad to find out for sure as I always wondered if it was that or just not enough call for it. Did you sell a lot of it when you had it? I remember one of your waitresses telling us it was not fish. Apparently some thought it was.
We found it at Heath's this spring and bought some and cooked it al home. We invited our neighbors who love it too. Those who don't, had salmon.
Mmmmm, makes my mouth water.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #45
SAMIAM

Tripe sold well. It was a favorite with the locals. I'm definately going to scout around and try to find some. Fresh tripe is available, but not pickled.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #46
TomC

Default Beans Meats

this place in Maine says they have it in 10 lb pails

www.beansmeats.com/Pickled%20Tripe.htm
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #47
tis

Quote:
Tripe sold well.It was a favorite with the locals.I'm definately going to scout around and try to find some.Fresh tripe is available,but not pickled.
We tried some that was not pickled and it was awful! I think the vinegar is what gives it it's flavor!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #48
dpg

Went to the VK Saturday for dinner, good as usual. I was disapointed to find out they do not accept Visa Debit cards after I sat down (didn't notice THE LITTLE piece of paper at the door stating this.) Luckily my wife had a check with her or we woulda had to leave. I will not go to any random ATM for cash, not paying a fee to get some of my own cash.

It's difficult these days to find an establishment that doesn't take plastic more and more I find it inconvenient.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #49
NHKathy

Default Best day to go?

so, what's the least busy day for breakfast at the VK?
(around 9:30 ish)
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #50
SAMIAM

Sorry about not taking cards, dpg, but we think it's important in this economy to keep prices as low as possible. Just don't want to pay that extra 2-3% to the CC companies. If you forget cash, don't worry, we'll trust you, just sign your check and pay up later.
NHKathy, It depends on the weather. Rainy days are crazy all day but if it's nice out you can usually get right in tuesday-friday around 9;30.
Also, checking on that source of tripe.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #51
Harborist

SAMIAM,
My family and I love your place - we go every Saturday morning during the summer. I've got to echo what a past poster said though - please bring back the roast beef hash if possible. I'm sure it comes down to dollars and cents (what doesn't?), but the corned beef just doesn't have the same full flavor. Not a complaint, just a request - keep up the good work!
Harborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #52
tis

Quote:
Sorry about not taking cards, dpg, but we think it's important in this economy to keep prices as low as possible. Just don't want to pay that extra 2-3% to the CC companies. If you forget cash, don't worry, we'll trust you, just sign your check and pay up later.
NHKathy, It depends on the weather. Rainy days are crazy all day but if it's nice out you can usually get right in tuesday-friday around 9;30.
Also, checking on that source of tripe.
As soon as you let us know, we will be there, sam!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #53
angela4design

Default RB Hash

I'm also a fan of the roast beef hash!! I don't care for corned beef, and I don't care if it came from a can - whatever you did to it WORKED!

Last time I was there, if I recall, the server told me that the jams and jellies were also homemade? Regardless, it's a great spot!

Samiam, can you post the hours?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #54
smithcover

Is the Village Kitchen accessible by boat? Or is it within walking distance of the public docks?
smithcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #55
KPW

VK is not accessible by boat.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #56
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
As soon as you let us know, we will be there, sam!!!!

Diddo that...I do not eat Tripe but my dad does and if I let him know he'd most likely be by for some. Let us know...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #57
RI Swamp Yankee

Sounds like a place I should have tried a long time ago .... but then with the many good comments someone mentioned the chicken parm was smaller now.

Last edited by RI Swamp Yankee; 09-16-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling
RI Swamp Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #58
ITD

I've never been disappointed there, quick service, good food. I love to stop in for lunch while snowmobiling.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #59
VtSteve

After reading all of these great reviews everywhere, sad to say, I've never made it up that way. A must stop on my next trip. It sounds like the restaurant that everyone wishes they all were like. Congrats on your success.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #60
tis

Well, we just got back from the VK where we had some absolutely delicious tripe! We all loved it! I haven't had it for so long and it was soooo good! I had the sweet potato fries with it. What a deal! Where else can you go and get such a good meal for $5.95???????? I hope everyone who likes it goes and has some so Sam can keep serving it! One of our party had the fried shrimp and he said that was wonderful too! Thanks Sam!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #61
Pineedles

Thumbs up Samiam

You found a source for fresh tripe! Great, my uncle and I will be in for it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #62
SAMIAM

Pineedles, just to let you know....have a new shipment coming in on
May 7th......it's better after it sits in the brine and we should have plenty for the summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-25-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #63
Pineedles

Default father's Day Breakfast

I was about to "help" my kids make father's day breakfast when I received a last minute invite to go to breakfast at the Village Kitchen. I asked to be excused from breakfast prep and my daughter was pleased to let me go off on my own. Well, it was my first breakfast at the VK and it was wonderful. Nicest staff anybody could want working for you. Met sameredith and of course SAMIAM and his lovely wife there as well, and who should sit down next to me at the counter but my cousin and his daughter. Happy Father's day everyone!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #64
Nagigator

Smile what!

First breakfast at the VK?........well, it won't be your last!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #65
Pineedles

Default Not the last visit to the VK

That is absolutely the correct answer! I found a home at VK for breakfast; because the entire staff exuded a can do/no problem attitude and the owners/management are to "blame" for that. Treat your staff well/with respect and encourage them, and they will treat your business as if it is theirs.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #66
NHKathy

Default Awesome meal at the "VK"!!

I've been to the Village Kitchen numerous times for breakfast, but never for lunch/dinner. (I actually thought they were breakfast only, except dinner on Fri & Sat nites). Well, at 2:30 / 3:00 this afternoon (New Years Day), when no other restaurants in the area were open yet - we found out that the Village Kitchen *was* open! Had a fantastic lunch, very friendly waitress (as always), and all for just $21! Hubby & I both had a cup of the fish chowder (YUM!) and I had the baked haddock special with butternut squash and rice pilaf (all excellent!); hubby had the Haddock Bites special with fries & cole slaw (also excellent!). So glad we stopped in for lunch and we will definitely remember the VK is not only breakfast!!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #67
sa meredith

Default question

Wondering if I can access their menu from my cell, when I sit down. I certainly am not going to touch anything!
(see bacteria thread if you don't get this.)
Seriously...I agree with the postive comments about this place. What a great, great small town, NHish type place. Food quaility is great...but the staff makes the place go, in my opinion. I love to sit at the counter and listen to the sarcastic banter between the regulars and the staff during breakfast hours. On one particular visit, I was a bit hazy (too many ginger ales the night before?) and looked at the breakfast menu a bit too long, and one of the servers (who seems to ALWAYS be there) took it from me, and said "OK, come on. It's breakfast..not complicated! It's eggs! How many do you want?" It got a laugh out of everyone at the counter. I like that type of stuff. Kind of makes you feel "at home".
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
NHKathy (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #68
NHKathy

Default Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Wondering if I can access their menu from my cell, when I sit down. I certainly am not going to touch anything!
(see bacteria thread if you don't get this.)
Seriously...I agree with the postive comments about this place. What a great, great small town, NHish type place. Food quaility is great...but the staff makes the place go, in my opinion. I love to sit at the counter and listen to the sarcastic banter between the regulars and the staff during breakfast hours. On one particular visit, I was a bit hazy (too many ginger ales the night before?) and looked at the breakfast menu a bit too long, and one of the servers (who seems to ALWAYS be there) took it from me, and said "OK, come on. It's breakfast..not complicated! It's eggs! How many do you want?" It got a laugh out of everyone at the counter. I like that type of stuff. Kind of makes you feel "at home".
You lost me at first, because I hadn't read that thread. I just read through it! Ha ! Loved your comment, so true...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #69
hazelnut

Took the family to dinner at the VK on Saturday night the 1st of January. As usual we had an amazing meal. The food was great and the waitress's were fantastic. My three little ones were treated like gold. Our waitress took a shine to my 3 year old daughter and my daughter was loving the attention. She was even offered a job Hahahaha. Prime rib was so good and the kids meals were all great. One of my boys had fish and chips and he LOVED it. I am going on record and telling any families out there that the VK is very tough to beat for taking them out to dinner. Great food great value and very fast very friendly service.

The absolute best waitstaff I've ever come across.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #70
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default VK is awesome

It is hard to believe looking out at the snow cover now, but we took the snowmobiles to the VK on Tuesday. If you are snowmobiling in Mboro, the VK is a great eating spot on the trail system.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #71
Meredith lady

love the Village kitchen-always have and always will!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #72
Shore Driver

This must be the best-reviewed restaurant on this board. Now I HAVE to try it.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #73
Newbiesaukee

I miss the Lake, I miss my house, I miss my boat......but I miss breakfast at VK the most.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #74
farechofisherman

Default Vk gets my vote

Easily the best breakfast place I've ever experienced - value, quallity, and as said the best "home town" service anywhere. Those ladies are tremendous at what they do, and Samiam must be a great boss because they are all there forever, including the kitchen staff. Sit at the counter and watch the man with the dark hair (sorry I don't know his name) rock during the breakfast rush on the grill - truly amazing.
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farechofisherman For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #75
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I miss the Lake, I miss my house, I miss my boat......but I miss breakfast at VK the most.
At least you are in a warm climate. But I do agree! VK all the way!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #76
Sunset View

Sherry and Rhonda........you guys are the best! Food's good too!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
Sully (02-22-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #77
hazelnut

I swear to you all that I have no personal interest in this restaurant but I can not say enough about it.

Friday Night my daughter (3 1/2 years old) and I went to the VK for dinner. As usual the waitresses were all over her, entertaining her, asking her questions, and having playful dialogue with her. Service is LIGHTENING fast, which is excellent for anyone with young kids. We all know the attention span of a young child is not conducive to slow service. The prices are great, service is amazing and the food is always consistent. Broiled Haddock special was soooo good. I believe our waitress was Jen? We had her two Friday nights ago when the whole family was there and she remembered my daughter. My daughter remembered her too. It was too cute watching my 3 1/2 year old interact with the waitress like she was a regular or something.

Whatever it is you are doing SAMIAM keep it up! I've never seen a happier waitstaff in my life.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #78
natureboy79

I agree the waitstaff are some of the friendliest Ive seen. Ive never been in for lunch or dinner.I have been several times for breakfast and its been "OK" at best.
I really don't know how people rave about the breakfast there.I guess everyone has there own opinion but my wife is a freak for french toast and said vk was some of the worst she has ever had from a restaurant.It comes out on the plate white. I don't think they add cinnamon,vanilla or anything for flavor and the bacon tasted like it had been cooked for 2 days.I will say I like how they add onions to the home fries because that's something that most don't do. Maybe we just hit it on a bad day every time or I just don't get it. I'm sure I will end up there again because it is local but I sure wouldn't recommend it to my friends.
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #79
ghfromaltonbay

Default Winter hours

What are the winter days/hours for the VK?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #80
sa meredith

Default jump in

Just want to jump in, as I want to counted as a big VK fan.
Driving up for Pond Hockey tourney this weekend, and looking forward to VK breakfast on Fri and Sat.
With regard to the comment about the food, I'd say give it another bid..maybe try something esle. Eggs always good, and the Cran/nut pancakes very good.
The service is what makes this pace go though.
Two names were mentioned..Sherry, Rhonda...not sure who is who, but I'm a big fan of the one who is always cracking sarcastically with the customers at the counter. Always good for a laugh.
She does not know me from Adam, but this past Fall, I was in eating breakfasts on a Friday, reading my Herald...and out of nowhere she sits down next to me and says, "Oh, you must know football..help me with my pool picks"....only in NH. She is truly and asset to VK...a real people person.
Everyone there...they all seem happy. Tips must be good!
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (04-09-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #81
Newbiesaukee

I really like the French toast. It is NOT the three inch high, sugary hunks that are sold as French toast these days. It is thin, regular slices of bread, dipped in egg and lightly fried. I can add sugar, syrup, cinnamon as I wish....this is homeade to me. I can see that someone else would expect a different preparation but that's why we have choices.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #82
ghfromaltonbay

Question Winter hours??????????

Is the VK open during the week or only on weekends in the winter?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #83
Sue Doe-Nym

Usually open every day except Monday, also closed for Sunday dinner.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #84
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Usually open every day except Monday, also closed for Sunday dinner.
Hi, The VK is open 7 days a week now!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
ghfromaltonbay (02-04-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #85
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Love the VK!!

Most days there's a notice on the big sign out front of the Evening Special for that night.....Might be a good idea to post that here so all the Forum Surfer crowd might be enticed.....I know!! I know!!......Most of the VK customers are coming in because of the "superb wait staff" and not just the good food...The same could easily be done on the VK Facebook page.

Just a thought!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #86
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Hi, The VK is open 7 days a week now!
I hate to quote myself, but the VK has gone back to their former schedule. Breakfast only until 1PM on Sunday, closed Mondays.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #87
GusMan

Default 3 years without a post???

Let me resurrect this thread!

I had breakfast at the VK on Saturday, May 10th before my club's bass tournament. I actually missed the first hour of the event (I was running late) so that I could eat there!

I was not disappointed.

Arrived around 7:45 and sat at the counter, As I have said before, the VK has one of the best serving staffs I've encounted in a casual restaurant. No fewer than three people greeted m2 and I had coffee and a menu in front of me within a minute or so.

A quick look at the menu and specials board and i decided on a couple of my ususal favorites. Sausage gravy with biscuits, scrambled eggs and homefries.
I recalled that the VK homefries are particularly good, so despite what I knew would be good portions, I decided on an extra side of homefries. Everything was great. The homefries were superb.. moist yet crispy on the outside with just the right amount of seasoning and (I believe) onions. Also, the gravy had large chunks of crumbled sausage that made the dish especially hearty.

Do yourself a favor, if you're in the area, stop at VK for breakfast.

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
Sully (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #88
rsmlp

Default Vk

VK is a Moultonborough treasure. Been on the lake since '97 and our five kids have spent many a breakfast at VK. Will be moving permanently to Winni this summer and you can bet we'll be regulars.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #89
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
VK is a Moultonborough treasure. Been on the lake since '97 and our five kids have spent many a breakfast at VK. Will be moving permanently to Winni this summer and you can bet we'll be regulars.
Congratulations on your upcoming move. Living here year round is great, except the winters are long. I had to drive to Salem yesterday. I was stuck in construction for 10 miles on 93 South. I couldn't wait to get back to quiet Moultonborough.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #90
rsmlp

Default Vk

We will be taking frequent visits to warmer climates in the off season. We're on Long island and as you know it can be pretty darn desolate in the winter...
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #91
Greene's Basin Girl

When you make your move you may want to consider joining the Moultonborough Women's Club. We are a great organization. We have over 100 members. I am one of the vice-presidents. Private message me if you are interested.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #92
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Let me resurrect this thread!

I had breakfast at the VK on Saturday, May 10th before my club's bass tournament. I actually missed the first hour of the event (I was running late) so that I could eat there!

I was not disappointed.

Arrived around 7:45 and sat at the counter, As I have said before, the VK has one of the best serving staffs I've encounted in a casual restaurant. No fewer than three people greeted m2 and I had coffee and a menu in front of me within a minute or so.

A quick look at the menu and specials board and i decided on a couple of my ususal favorites. Sausage gravy with biscuits, scrambled eggs and homefries.
I recalled that the VK homefries are particularly good, so despite what I knew would be good portions, I decided on an extra side of homefries. Everything was great. The homefries were superb.. moist yet crispy on the outside with just the right amount of seasoning and (I believe) onions. Also, the gravy had large chunks of crumbled sausage that made the dish especially hearty.

Do yourself a favor, if you're in the area, stop at VK for breakfast.

Cheers....

Gusman
We came up to the Lake yesterday and will be here until November. First chore today was a visit to the VK. Few things in life are as good as our memory...VK was better. From Rhonda to the home fries, we feel back at home.