Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Open Thread - Sushi at Weirs Beach?

A Sushi restaurant has leased the old Waldo Peppers/Boston Seafood building and will open this spring.

Any thoughts?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
A Sushi restaurant has leased the old Waldo Peppers/Boston Seafood building and will open this spring.

Any thoughts?
I would love to see a good sushi restaurant in the region. Good being the operative word. I don't think anyone up here serves exceptional sushi, and that is what it would take to make it up here. If it's just another asian restaurant that also serves sushi, we've got that. The only sushi in these parts that I find to be good is Moritomo(sp?) in Concord. If it was that or better, I'd be there. Any rumor on who it is.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Resident 2B

Default Sushi???

I do not think the sushi will be a big hit during Bike Week.

I will miss what was there in both forms, Waldo-Peppers and Boston Seafood Company. I don't like sushi. Nothing against those that do.

I hope Michael's picks up on a take-out counter opportunity here. We have a void.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

I wonder if they will have bass and cusk sushi on the menu?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I wonder if they will have bass and cusk sushi on the menu?
Rockfish sushi.Sorry Don,I like my fish cooked.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
vmartino26

I do like sushi. It's an interesting concept. You may be right about there not being much interest in sushi during bike week, but the bikers are becoming an older crowd. They're not young kids any more. So sushi may be a bit of a more eclectic choice. Hard to see things working out during the summer, though. I don't know if families will take to raw seafood and the like. But what the heck. It's better than an empty building! I wish them well.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Wish them well and definately will give them a try.Nice to see a new business in the area.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
trfour

This thread will go a long way to insure a successful Grand Opening. It will be up to the owners to carry the ball from there. I wish them well.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
...Any thoughts?
I love fish but as SIKSUKR said, I like it cooked.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Waterbaby

I wish them well, but I won't be a customer. My family won't even try sushi, I've tried and tried........... apparantly it's a acquired taste but it's just not something I seem to be able to acquire. And I'm definitely not a icky eater - guess I'm with Siksukr, I like my fish cooked.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Newbiesaukee

Default In this country, at least

most sushi restaurants have a number of rolls, etc. which use totally cooked ingredients.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #12
brk-lnt

I'd love for a *good* sushi place to open up. I don't know how much bike week really factors in to a lot of places overall gross business these days, the numbers and dollars spent seem to be in a steady decline. In any event, I can tell you that if your business revolves around that 1 week, you're probably doing something wrong anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
secondcurve

My sense is that regardless of what restaurant concept goes into that location its best chance for survival will be if it is seasonal. I just can't see a year-round restaurant making it there long-term. I wish them well whatever their approach turns out to be.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
My sense is that regardless of what restaurant concept goes into that location its best chance for survival will be if it is seasonal. I just can't see a year-round restaurant making it there long-term. I wish them well whatever their approach turns out to be.
I think just the opposite, and that is part of the problem with some of the local businesses. Your best chance of success would seem to come from a year-round operation. Sure, the BULK of your business might be based around the peak summer season, but that chances of earning enough in 12ish weeks to pay for building lease, insurance, etc for a year is kind of a long shot. Not to mention the staffing issues that also come with a season food place.

Think long-term with your business, building a "seasonal" business is a very difficult thing to do...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I think just the opposite, and that is part of the problem with some of the local businesses. Your best chance of success would seem to come from a year-round operation. Sure, the BULK of your business might be based around the peak summer season, but that chances of earning enough in 12ish weeks to pay for building lease, insurance, etc for a year is kind of a long shot. Not to mention the staffing issues that also come with a season food place.

Think long-term with your business, building a "seasonal" business is a very difficult thing to do...
Brk-It:

Most of these restaurants bleed money in the off season. As a result, there is no sense being open.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
colt17

Default We will try it out

We would love a sushi place in the weirs area looking forward to trying it out this spring.
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
donnamatrix

Default Good Sushi at Peking Tokyo

Although not as wide a selection as Oishi Sushi in the Boston area (which is awesome), Peking Tokyo does a pretty good job with their sushi. Their luncheon prices are really reasonable. I love the Morimoto place in Concord as well, it's very good. I don't know if the Weirs/Laconia area could support another Oriental-style restaurant... does the China Bistro do any business? I never see cars in their parking lot even though they spent a small fortune redoing the place.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Rockfish sushi.Sorry Don,I like my fish cooked.
They should have both, cooked and uncooked.

This place does and its great!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Brk-It:

Most of these restaurants bleed money in the off season. As a result, there is no sense being open.
I know that, what I was trying to say is that if your business is that financially fragile, it's probably not a good concept. You don't have to make a killing year-round, but you should probably be able to at least keep your head above water. Otherwise, if anything happens out of the ordinary (like a slow economy) you really have little to no chance of survival.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
RI Swamp Yankee

How about grilled Sushi or deep fried Sushi?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
How about grilled Sushi or deep fried Sushi?

Agreed, I like baked stuffed sushi.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #22
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
most sushi restaurants have a number of rolls, etc. which use totally cooked ingredients.
That's true, actually after I hit the "submit" button I remembered that the sushi I've tried has (supposedly) all been cooked........... It's just all icky to me, my Mom laughs when we go out to lunch and apparantly now I have a standard "sushi" face, according to her. (At least I try it, she won't even get near it!)
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #23
Waterbaby

Quote:

I agree with you on the year-round operation, and woe to those who base their success on a healthy summer season. Perhaps the media has a lot to do with this, they are always talking about the summer season at the Lake or the holiday shopping season at the malls, etc etc etc. But I digress, and I just kind of lost my train of thought.

What I'm saying is, develop a business plan that can weather the seasons (no pun intended) and build into it a lousy summer season if that occurs -- which it appears is becoming more likely than not, with the weather pattern over the last few years.

Perhaps I'm saying be conservative in your business plan?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #24
skisox24

Default Sushi Essentials

The keys to good sushi are fresh ingredients, proper storage, and. of course, sound preparation. We can not speak to the quality of sushi in Concord, but have plenty of experience with many great sushi venues in the Boston and New York areas. As donnamatrix indicates Oishi is great. Oga's in Natick MA is also very good. Nobu in NYC is held up as the standard. Their sushi is fantastic, and their black cod (non-sushi) is unbelievable.

There is nothing to compare with those experiences in the Lakes Region that we have seen. However, Lemon Grass in Moultonboro is worth a try. They do emphasize natural and organic food selections with all of their menu items, and their sushi selections, while unremarkable, are quite good.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #25
secondcurve

Quote:
I know that, what I was trying to say is that if your business is that financially fragile, it's probably not a good concept. You don't have to make a killing year-round, but you should probably be able to at least keep your head above water. Otherwise, if anything happens out of the ordinary (like a slow economy) you really have little to no chance of survival.
I understand your point. However, you can't have a successful year round business in a seasonal location and the old Waldo Pepper location is clearly a seasonal location. Going to a sushi concept restaurant at this location will further narrow the number of customers available as sushi is a specialized dining concept. In addition, even folks who like sushi may be afraid of trying it at this location for obvious reasons. I'd put myself in this category.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #26
C Tucker

Default Thai Food-Not just Sushi

I passed the Boston Seafood location in the Weirs yesterday and the new sign says "Thai Food and Sushi". I love Thai food and this could make it a real hit. I agree with others simply having sushi would probably have no chance of success.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #27
angela4design

Default Thai food

Great Thai food already at Lanna Thai next to Laconia High School. Sushi also available. Great food. Hidden gem.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #28
Overlake97

Thumbs up Lanna Thai

I second angela4's comment above. Lanna has great thai food! Try the avocado green curry.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
Whimsey

I hope that that you "over-cooked" fish eaters will give sushi a try. I get sushi once a week from Peking Tokyo, where it got more creative a few months back. In many instances I think the sushi version tastes better than the cooked variety (salmon comes to mind). Hope the place does well.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #30
Seeker

Best of luck to them but I've tried sushi and sashimi(sp?) when I lived in the Boston area and just didn't care for it. I've seen some very busy sushi restaurants that people rave about so there must be a customer base out there. I would hope they are amenable to modifying their menu somewhat if sushi/Thai isn't doing it for them vs. just closing their doors.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #31
nicole

Well I don't care for Sushi and I personally would like Elvio's to come back to Weir's Beach and open there.

Seriously, my hope is that they are successful. Whether or not I like Sushi I guess is really secondary. Being a full time resident of Weir's Beach, I want local business to thrive and do well instead of boarded up buildings and a different business in the same place every year.

I wish them luck and much success.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #32
luvmypups

Default GREAT sushi!!

I dont know if any of you are aware of LemonGrass in Moultonborough but they have excellent sushi. The majority of ingredients they use too are organic. They are an upscale restaurant but the sushi prices are reasonable and if you want to try their food for a lower price, try the lunch menu!! They have a sushi bar too where you can watch them make your rolls. It is american/asian owned so they know what they are doing.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #33
Bullwinkle

Default wow

I didn't know that you had to be american/asian to know how to make sushi
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #34
Bigstan

So unless they changed Lemongrass just offers some maki (rolls) and a tuna or salmon sashimi appetizer. That's what I recall from my last visit, and that's what their menu shows today (unless they opened a whole sushi bar and didn't update the menu to reflect it). However, just having those offerings makes sense to me, as they can use sushi-grade tuna/salmon for other things as well.

That's going to be the real issue - how is a place in WB going to be able to afford to stock a 'real' sushi menu, not just a handful of options and some rolls? I don't think they could, so what you'll likely get is another fusion type setting, like whatever that place is in the Walmart plaza down the street (which is pretty good). It won't be a true sushi place, but the reason that there are not any true sushi places (that I know of) around there is that the area just cannot support them.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #35
NBR

Lemongrass is off the beaten track for is but our one experience was Sushi as an appetizer and I had a seared salmon entree. My salmon was superb but the Sushi was at best average. Going past again I'd stop in a heart beat for the salmon but probably forgo the Sushi.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #36
luvmypups

Wink They have added to the menu...

I know they have added a larger sushi menu in the past year or so , so maybe you were there beofre they did that ?? Also, I didnt mean that you have to be asian/american to know how to make sushi...YIKES that came out wrong. They just have a very diverse way of making there food and with Mike Love's touch ( I know he has passed away now ) and Uriwan and Lucky's asian influence, they have created great food
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #37
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Opening This Week

Rumor has it that the Sushi/Thai restaurant in the Boston Seafood building in the Weirs is opening this week.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #38
ITD

Lake clams on the half shell.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #39
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Rumor has it that the Sushi/Thai restaurant in the Boston Seafood building in the Weirs is opening this week.
Still not open as of yesterday...
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #40
Argie's Wife

I'm gonna say it because no one else has...

Are they nutz?

Sushi...? At THE WEIRS? (I can't picture a line going out the door of the place at Bike Week, if you catch my drift...)

I think "Weirs" and no culture at all comes to mind.... I don't mean this as an insult - not at all - THE WEIRS is a ketchy area that is just a good ol' tourist trap gone a little south... (not real bad... but yeah, it's a little rough at times...)

Here's what would do well, in my opinion...

Put in a wicked good pub - lots of variety of beer on tap - maybe a little import (gotta have Guinness)... serve $0.10 hot wings on Tuesdays... maybe $1.99 drought beers at happy hour... good nachos, potato skins - good grease - you get the idea... and some rockin' LIVE music. No yuppie stuff; no rap. Keep it real and keep the prices low.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #41
winniplayhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I think "Weirs" and no culture at all comes to mind....
We at the Winni Playhouse like to think there's at least a little culture at the Weirs.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #42
Happy Gourmand

Default Culture shock...

I'm with you Winniplayhouse. I think there are enough places to get tanked up at the Weirs already. Another would help the area go a little bit more "South".
Personally, I wouldn't eat sushi but I'm sure they will have other offerings that I and others will enjoy.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #43
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse View Post
We at the Winni Playhouse like to think there's at least a little culture at the Weirs.
...and like I said... it's not an insult.... it's pure americana powered by Harley Davidsons and seasoned by many good summers of lake-based fun and pier fries. There's some great history there and always something interesting or entertaining going on.

There's a place that opened up just by the New Durham/Farmington line a while back that is a good ol' beer/wings/live music sorta place called "Hogs Pen" I didn't think it would do that great because nothing ever thrived in that location in the past. Well, that place is PACKED on a Friday/Saturday night. They seem to have found the formula for what works in the area, even in this economy.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #44
Resident 2B

Default Thai Food and Sushi

To be fair with new establishment, they will have Thai food as well as sushi.

I do not eat sushi, but I love good Thai food. I think that will help make it work. I wish them luck!

Also, anyone that has ever been to the Winni Playhouse will agree with me that the Weirs area offers some very good theater.

I would not say the area is lacking culture. I will say the Weirs offers a very diverse cultural environment.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #45
Smitty1

Anyone hear when this is going to open?

Thanks!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #46
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

On the Sunday afternoon before the Mount's shakedown cruise (5/3) I grabbed my camera and headed over to the new Thai/Sushi restaurant prepared to review it, grab a menu and take some pictures. I was told by the owner of the property that they opened several weeks ago.

I was surprised that the outside looked like it wasn't even ready to open. The old Boston Seafood Shack sign was still there and the only evidence of a change was a falling down "Coming Soon" banner. I almost drove away but decided to look in the window. To my surprise the inside was clean and all set up for business. There were flower vases on the tables and it looked like they may have been open earlier in the day.

If anyone else has been there or knows what is going on please let us know.

Don
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #47
ironhorsetim

I drive by there at least once a day, and aside from seeing a couple of contractor trucks a week or so ago it hasn't looked open yet

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #48
Bigstan

Default Open or not?

So did we decide if this place is really open yet?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #49
NHskier

We drove by yesterday about 6PM - no signs of any activity.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #50
michael c

I drove by today , saturday, around 6:15 p.m.
There was a sign that said "now open " or "open" but the lights seemed to be off and not a car to be seen. One would think that if they were open that they would make it a bit more obvious ...I just don't know
M
Old 05-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #51
brk-lnt

We drove by yesterday afternoon and there was an LED "Open" sign in the window and a few cars in the lot.