Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Star Market Closing

Looks like DM's prediction came true.Star is closing the doors.Sign in the door announced that there would be a discount starting on monday as they sell off their inventory.I talked with the manager and everyone there will soon be out of work which is a scary thought the way the economy is.It's really sad.....it's a great store,but just overpriced due to the owners,not the management.Hate to see anyone go under.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
twoplustwo

Unhappy what a shame

Corporate greed has been lining the owners' pockets for how long? Now the loyal employees will do the paying instead of the locals and the tourists. It's a harsh world out there, and I speak from experience as someone laid off in October who can't even find a p/t job.

Brother, can you spare a dime (for the Lakes Region)?
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
fatlazyless

At $1.89/four bagels, J-Star baked the best bagels in a different flavors; pumperknickle, plain, french toast, seesamee, onion, and cinnamon-raisin. Those J-Star bagels will be missed!

Hannaford's is a division of the 2000+ food stores, owned by Belgium company Delhaize Group with stores in asia, europe, & america.

Here's hoping the J-Star space becomes a dollar store like Family Dollar, or Wardo's, or a flea market with 25 different venders. Probably, it will be an empty space for three years, or something.

Hannaford's-Rite Aid-Olympia Sports......el yucko....talk about a lack of independant, owner-operated stores !

...hey...for a super-duper Super...there's the E M Heath's just up the road in Center Harbor! and, ditto that for Heath's Hardware.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
phoenix

sad for people to lose their jobs but not surprising that they lost business as many complaints have been aired for sometime. Hope that MB goes in will save a lot of gas going to Tilton
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
sa meredith

Default too bad

I am sorry to read this.
Although the prices drove me crazy, I was a very regular customer this store...very convient location for us.
I wish well to all the empoyees being displaced.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Hate to say it like this, but as soon as Hannafords opened, those folks should have been looking for another job. Just a fact. And yes it will most likely stay empty for a while. Look at the space at the other end of that mall. It was empty for a long time as well. until the Home theater place opened up.

I think they should get a Bob's store or a TGI Fridays, Applebee's in there. Or some other chain restaraunt, other than a McDonalds.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
LakesRegionSpirit

I am (was?) a sometimes shopper at J-star.

I want to make a general comment without generalizing (if that is possible) and it is not particularly aimed at this specific closing.

But, all too often I hear people lament the closing of a local, possibly higher priced, local operation. Usually they notice the closing of a local shop on their way to Wal-Mart.

If we want local business to stay in business we have to patronize them. I but at Sunflowers, I know Ana, I can talk to her directly. I buy at Beans and Green's. I know Martina and I want to see a farm on my drive down Intervale Road. I go to the chain stores as a last resort.

This costs me more money but I look at it as an investment in the local community which, to me, is worth something above and beyond the product I buy.

How many drive by the local hardware store on their way to Lowe's to buy at a cheaper price?

How many drive by the local farm stands to buy at Market Basket.

You can not have it both ways.

I have started a local venture that is trying to invest in local people and their talents.

We may not be able to solve the world's problems, but we can certainly give a shot at dealing with our local community.

So, next time you all drive by a local venture and hope that it stays in business. Do your part!

Just my .02
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Moss Creek Media

Why does it have to be a chain restaurant? Just something good and affordable would be nice. Chain places tend not to blend into the local architecture (could you imagine a Taco Bell with the stucco and arch w/bell, the old style Taco Bell?)

Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I think they should get a Bob's store or a TGI Fridays, Applebee's in there. Or some other chain restaraunt, other than a McDonalds.
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Irish mist

Boy......that was fast ! Terrible ownership. I feel bad for the workers cause there are no jobs out there.
________
Find Headshop

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
Sunrise Point

I was there on Saturday and was horrified to see the sign about the closing and the sell-off. The young lady at the cash register had tears in her eyes when she talked about it. I am going to miss them. I sincerely hope that the employees are able to find jobs and get on with their lives.

I have a feeling that the space will be vacant for a long while...
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesRegionSpirit View Post

I want to make a general comment without generalizing (if that is possible) and it is not particularly aimed at this specific closing.

But, all too often I hear people lament the closing of a local, possibly higher priced, local operation. Usually they notice the closing of a local shop on their way to Wal-Mart.

If we want local business to stay in business we have to patronize them. I but at Sunflowers, I know Ana, I can talk to her directly. I buy at Beans and Green's. I know Martina and I want to see a farm on my drive down Intervale Road. I go to the chain stores as a last resort.

This costs me more money but I look at it as an investment in the local community which, to me, is worth something above and beyond the product I buy.

How many drive by the local hardware store on their way to Lowe's to buy at a cheaper price?

I have started a local venture that is trying to invest in local people and their talents.

We may not be able to solve the world's problems, but we can certainly give a shot at dealing with our local community.

So, next time you all drive by a local venture and hope that it stays in business. Do your part!

Just my .02

Your points are well taken but JS is in a different catagory than your local farm stand or hardware store. I'm all for paying a little extra to help boost the local economy however the price gauging that JS has done for years in my opinion is not only unacceptable but also unethical. I feel badly for the long term employees that counted on their JS paycheck to help pay their mortgage and put food on their tables however I can only wonder how badly the owners of JS feel, after all they are responsible for their current predicament.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
GTO

Default point to a point

Quote:

Just my .02

JS cannot be compared to a local anything. Its a large grocery store that has been overpriced from the day they opened, why...because they were conveinent to get too on your way into your lake house for the week. We as consumers are always looking for bargains/sales. I'm thinking when JS first heard of Hannafords going in, maybe then they should have slashed their prices and tried to be more competitive. In this economy with thousands of people out of work (like twoplustwo) it is difficult to spend money. I have been in that situation (for 8 months). If I could save $20 on my food bill each week by driving to Gilford, I would. Oh sure, support the locals, but who is going to support me when I don't have enough food on my table.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
hazelnut

I concur with KonaChick,

LakesRegionSpirit you do make excellent points that I completely agree with. The only problem with your post is that I don't feel it applies to Jackson Star.

These owners were just about gouging their customers. This was hardly a situation like a small business that has to charge more to make the profit margin.

Your post is more aligned with Heath's and the small businesses that you mentioned. I am all for patronizing the little guy. I was a huge patron of Pier 19 in Tuftonboro even though the prices were high. Unfortunately they couldn't make it work and had to shut down for good.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
jeffk

Default Choice

The problem is one, as is common in rural areas, of the lack of choice.

There are many levels of restaurants in the area and people make their choices as to the type of experience they want and what they are willing to pay for it. You can choose to chow down in the Mug or the Coe house. Both places have their happy clientèle.

There is probably not enough business in the area to support two large markets in Meredith throughout the year. Jackson Star has had an exclusive for a while and people had no choice unless they went further out of their way to Heaths. So they put up with the higher prices but weren't happy about it. My guess is that most don't feel that they were getting more value to go along with the additional cost. Would you pay the price of the Coe House if the experience was essentially the same as the Mug?

So now people have a choice and Jackson Star doesn't have enough business to keep afloat. This is the way capitalism works. Choice, competition. and consequences.

Hannaford's could now raise their prices to Jackson Star's level and they might get away with it for awhile. But they would run the risk of someone coming along someday, just like they just have, and offering everyone a better choice.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
sa meredith

Default good points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I concur with KonaChick,

LakesRegionSpirit you do make excellent points that I completely agree with. The only problem with your post is that I don't feel it applies to Jackson Star.

These owners were just about gouging their customers. This was hardly a situation like a small business that has to charge more to make the profit margin.

Your post is more aligned with Heath's and the small businesses that you mentioned. I am all for patronizing the little guy. I was a huge patron of Pier 19 in Tuftonboro even though the prices were high. Unfortunately they couldn't make it work and had to shut down for good.
You worded that very nicely. Especially the parts about what JS does/did vs. small, local business that need to charge a bit more simply to survive.

I will miss the convenience of their (JS) location though. Miss it a lot...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Happy Gourmand

Default Jackson Star

It's sad that so many will be without work when this store closes. We frequented this store when we were at the lake during the summer, and, other than the high prices, we appreciated the clientelle, the selection and the cleanliness of the store.
We were in Meredith last Saturday and stopped by Hannaford's to check it out. I don't believe they are on the same pricing schedule as the store in Nashua, my wife commented that prices seemed high. She grabbed 2 20oz bottles of Coke on the way out, but when the price came up as $1.50 each, she asked the cashier to return one.
We'd love to see Market Basket take over the JS location. They seem to have the best prices around Nashua and the lake if you're willing to drive to tilton.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
LakesRegionSpirit

I guess the comments about wanting a Market Basket in town because their prices are lower is part of my earlier point.

We all want local business to survive in theory, but when it comes to spending our own dollar, we want the cheapest prices. Well, with cheap prices, comes cheap wages; underpaid workers; lack of high end service.

I , personally, do not want a Market Basket. They are not a local business. I want the Beans and Greens, The Moulton Farms, The Sunflowers, etc. where the owner is behind the counter.

That is what makes the Lakes Region what it is. We need to support local economies, not national chains.

Downtown Laconia is, or was, full of locally owned shops, all of which are being hit hard right now. That's because people don't shop there. But when the store fronts empty out, like Bloom's, etc. Everyone is sad that they didn't stay.

It ain't magic. You want them to stay, shop there.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
donnamatrix

Default JS Closing not unexpected, but still sad..for employees

It's true I won't miss their pricing, but the people who work at JS are really good folks and it's nasty that they will lose their jobs because the Star management has decined to modify their business strategy to be competitive. I agree with FLL, the bagels are great! I try to support our local businesses... Moulton Farm is the best no matter what-why go elsewhere? I love Chick-a-Dee station, and his prices, although twice as high on certain items, are mostly competitive. I love Aubuchon in Moultonboro and True Value in Laconia... but would dearly love a Market Basket in the JS spot. Very unsettling times for everyone.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
It's true I won't miss their pricing, but the people who work at JS are really good folks and it's nasty that they will lose their jobs because the Star management has decined to modify their business strategy to be competitive. I agree with FLL, the bagels are great! I try to support our local businesses... Moulton Farm is the best no matter what-why go elsewhere? I love Chick-a-Dee station, and his prices, although twice as high on certain items, are mostly competitive. I love Aubuchon in Moultonboro and True Value in Laconia... but would dearly love a Market Basket in the JS spot. Very unsettling times for everyone.
Donna:

Have you ever considered the possibility that this small supermarket had to charge higher prices to stay in business? Food retailing is a business that operates on razor thin margins. It is likely that Jackson Star didn't have access to the same purchase prices as its larger competitors. Otherwise, when the competition moved into town they would have cut their prices to the level of Hannaford's and stayed in business.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
GTO

Default mmm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Donna:

Have you ever considered the possibility that this small supermarket had to charge higher prices to stay in business? Food retailing is a business that operates on razor thin margins. It is likely that Jackson Star didn't have access to the same purchase prices as its larger competitors. Otherwise, when the competition moved into town they would have cut their prices to the level of Hannaford's and stayed in business.
I think they were relying on their local/regulars/devoted shoppers to keep them in business. There were items at the Blue Canoe that were cheaper. They could have done better with their pricing especially when Hannafords were coming in. Nothing went down in price, nothing. Can you blame anyone for shopping cheaper....especially these days.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Moss Creek Media

I think if they could have survived into the summer, they'd be ok, because with the tourists in the area, there would be plenty of shopping there (for those who don't want to deal with Meredith traffic).

But, it's hard to run a business of that size for seasonal profits.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
fatlazyless

Wanna know a little secret...here's how to shop at Hannaford's and get the prices of the DeMoula's Market Basket in Tilton...just go to the Hannaford's in Plymouth. Maybe I was hallucinating, but I don't think so, the Hannaford's-Plymouth was happily a very busy store until the Super Wal-Mart opened in 2003, about one mile away and siphoned off a lot of the biz. To compete with the new Wal-Mart, which has food, the Plymouth Hannaford is priced accordingly.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #23
Irish mist

Quote:
Donna:

Star Market is a big concern. This was no mom & pop store. Jackson Star had another store in Gilford that had the same high prices. That's the business model this owner chose to use. He put the screws to people in the Gilford area for years until Hannaford came in and ran hin out like they just ran him out of Meredith.
________
Kd engine

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #24
Skip

Post Jackson's Star Market story

HERE is a story in this morning's Citizen with more details on the store's closing.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
twoplustwo

Default ditto Irish Mist

JS' prices were their choice, not their requirement to stay afloat. They used to up the prices during the summer months to gouge the tourists, then they kept them high year round and gouged everyone.

Heath's proves that you can be small, independently owned, yet still run a place with a great selection and reasonable prices. They have great meats, a nice selection of local produce in season, and you can't beat their staff. That's why I shop there.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #26
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Star Market is a big concern. This was no mom & pop store. Jackson Star had another store in Gilford that had the same high prices. That's the business model this owner chose to use. He put the screws to people in the Gilford area for years until Hannaford came in and ran hin out like they just ran him out of Meredith.
Irish Mist:

It sounds like this was an independent using the Star name, not a Star company store. Also, earlier in this thread someone alluded to the fact that seasonality hurt the store as well. This is a good point. Seasonality and 5% gross margins aren't a recipe to make a lot of money. I think you would be surprised at how little independents earn, despite what seem like high prices to you. In any event, they are gone so hopefully the other store picks up the slack and competitively meets the needs of the community.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #27
fatlazyless

About two years ago, I crossed paths in the food section of the Plymouth Super Wal-Mart with a lady employee of the J-Star. Coincidentally, we were both picking out yogurt, at the same time. So's, I spoke up, and said something like: "Doesn't the Meredith Star give you an employee discount?," recognizing her as a J-Star employee. And, she replied, that while she works at J-Star, she does her food shopping at this Wal-Mart. I was a little struck by that and didn't know what to say....so there was a pause...and the brief conversation ended.

How about that....how do you like them apples? No employee discount !

.................................................. ................................

By the way, the $1.75/ big 32oz, Great Value brand/ Wal-Mart / green & white label stuff is the best yogurt around.....beats the pants off Colombo or Dannon, and costs much less!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
hazelnut

Quote:
Irish Mist:

It sounds like this was an independent using the Star name, not a Star company store. Also, earlier in this thread someone alluded to the fact that seasonality hurt the store as well. This is a good point. Seasonality and 5% gross margins aren't a recipe to make a lot of money. I think you would be surprised at how little independents earn, despite what seem like high prices to you. In any event, they are gone so hopefully the other store picks up the slack and competitively meets the needs of the community.
Secondcurve,

This was no small mom and pop organization. See the link:

http://www.omnifoodssupermarkets.com/index.html

Note that they lost another store in Chestnut Hill to a "Lease Running Out." This was a chain that had buying power and the ability to pass those savings on to the customer. They chose not to do so. In the end it bit them in the butt. You also oversimplify things by stating that they could just ".. cut their prices to the level of Hannaford's and stay(ed) in business..." I'm afraid that it just doesn't work that way. People do not forget that easily. If you noticed Jackson Star had a huge banner out front for the last few months "DOUBLE MANUFACTURERS COUPONS." Essentially cutting their prices down to Hannafords levels. It did not seem to work. The wheels for this closure were started long, long ago. It was only a matter of time before this happened. It is unfortunate and in this economic crisis I feel for the employees. The focus should not be on the people who abandoned shopping at Jackson Star. The blame is squarely on the shoulders of the ownership. To continually equate Jackson Star with "Heath's" "Beans and Greens" "Moulton Farms" etc and other Mom and Pop shops is incorrect in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #29
Lakegeezer

Once summer gets here, we're going to wish there was a grocery store where JS currently is. Traffic engineering was apparently not part of the Hannaford site plan and it will be very difficult to get in and out of that parking lot during July and August.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
donnamatrix

Default Response to Secondcurve & GTO

SC
I don't come from a retail background-but was a chef/manager in Boston for longer than I care to tell, and the margins in food industry are extremely slim. I can only say that in ANY economy, businesses that depend on "walk in" trade have to be competitive, and I don't believe JS has been competitive in many, many years. I will give you an example: went to buy a small rack of lamb (twice in past couple years): price at JS was about $24, price at Hannaford in Gilford was $9.79... hello? The family that owned JS owns two markets in MA... they have been in supermarket business for more than 20 years... I think they probably have ability and purchasing power to address the cost/pricing issues. GTO: I agree that all families right now have to do what is necessary to keep their noses above water-and we're all doing it. Making a list, waiting until we perhaps need stuff at BJs and then hitting Market Basket, buying in bulk and freezing. Menu planning for crockpots, you name it-It once was that I NEVER looked at the price of anything in the market, just purhchased what I wanted. Those days are memories folks.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #31
Mr. V

Reading this thread makes me count my blessings at having a Winco Foods nearby for shopping.

http://www.wincofoods.com/history.htm

This is a great chain of grocery stores, very large, inexpensive, good quality.

One can only hope they decide to expand to the east coast, but I doubt they will.

The key: "employee owned."

People will work harder if they have a financial stake in the operation.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #32
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Staff

I have noted a few comments about the staff at JS. I think I only shopped there once so I cannot comment on the workers personally.However, if they are half as good as some have noted, I am sure a store like Hannaford will welcome their skills and customer service savvy (again this is what I have heard, and read here) as valued employees. It makes sense- these are retail people who know the market.

There are three Hannaford stores within a half hour or so, I think? Meredith, Gilford (or is that Stop and Shop?) and Plymouth. These are big stores with open jobs, I would think. There will be some people that take demotions (there can only be one meat manager, etc.), but as in most businesses, the cream (in this case good workers) will soon rise to the top. Thoughts? Am I too idealistic?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #33
secondcurve

Quote:
Secondcurve,

This was no small mom and pop organization. See the link:

http://www.omnifoodssupermarkets.com/index.html

Note that they lost another store in Chestnut Hill to a "Lease Running Out." This was a chain that had buying power and the ability to pass those savings on to the customer. They chose not to do so. In the end it bit them in the butt. You also oversimplify things by stating that they could just ".. cut their prices to the level of Hannaford's and stay(ed) in business..." I'm afraid that it just doesn't work that way. People do not forget that easily. If you noticed Jackson Star had a huge banner out front for the last few months "DOUBLE MANUFACTURERS COUPONS." Essentially cutting their prices down to Hannafords levels. It did not seem to work. The wheels for this closure were started long, long ago. It was only a matter of time before this happened. It is unfortunate and in this economic crisis I feel for the employees. The focus should not be on the people who abandoned shopping at Jackson Star. The blame is squarely on the shoulders of the ownership. To continually equate Jackson Star with "Heath's" "Beans and Greens" "Moulton Farms" etc and other Mom and Pop shops is incorrect in my opinion.
Hazelnut:

Trust me. This is small for the grocery business. $10-20 million for three stores? Maybe less? Who knows, but in any event 3-stores is tiny for this industry. I will note that there are hardly any small chains left in NE.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #34
phoenix

in the end they didn't focus on their customer needs( i stopped going there two years ago) and was only a matter of time tiill this happened that is when an alternative was available. Look back at prior posts and they have never to my knowledge been very positive. So whether large or small if you don't take care of your customers they will walk to the competition
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #35
Irish mist

Quote:
Hazelnut:

Trust me. This is small for the grocery business. $10-20 million for three stores? Maybe less? Who knows, but in any event 3-stores is tiny for this industry. I will note that there are hardly any small chains left in NE.
Were you around here when Jackson Star in Gilford used to go up on its prices on weekends to gouge the summer folks ? It caused a lot of resentment on the part of summer folks & on the part of locals too. It left a lasting impression on people from away that the locals up here were out to screw them over.....not a good thing to have happen in a tourist area. I don't care how big, or small this business was....they set out to gouge people on a regular basis. It was the "businerss model" that they used. I was here. I seen it. Where do you think ALL this resentment is coming from ? Why do you think that store closed so quickly ? People have long memories. They don't forget.

Jackson Star did not just jack up prices a few cents here & there.......they gouged people on purpose in a systamatic, constant way. The minute they had to compete they folded.
________
Buy Cannabis Seeds

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #36
hazelnut

Quote:
Hazelnut:

True that it isn't exactly huge but I guess we are both nitpicking here. The point I was trying to make is that this store hardly qualifies as a local mom and pop shop that can be compared with one of the local homegrown businesses. This was an operation with multiple stores! The FACT is that they had high prices. An organization came along and put them out of business. Simple economics. I just don't see where some people have lamented this as if this were Moulton Farms or Winnipesaukee Bagels or The Village Kitchen or Heaths or...... etc. They are absolutely not the same thing.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #37
jmen24

Default No MB for JS Location

I have been reading on this forum for years and finally got around to joining, lots of great information on this site.
I wanted to post this information, because I have read multiple posts regarding wanting an MB in varius areas around the lake.

You will not see a Market Basket go into the location of an existing store that has closed unless they can buy the entire strip mall that they would occupy. Market Basket only has two stores that are on property that they do not own. One on Stores st in Concord and the second is in southern NH or MA.
The Demoulas family actually spends quite a bit in the area as they have a family compound on the lake. Do not ask where as I do not have exact location.

jmen24
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #38
parrothead

Default Store closing

I'm sorry for all the employee's that lost their job in these hard times. A grocery store will be missed in that plaza come the summer time. Traffic is heavier getting out of that parking lot and through the lights now, I can't imagine how the added congestion of shoppers is going impact the traffic come summertime. Jackson Star while more expensive, was convenient when coming off the highway. I stopped there mostly to pick up items that we forgot, and not to do major shopping trips so the expensive prices were more palpable.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #39
Resident 2B

Exclamation Traffic at Hannaford's: Outside and Inside

Now that it is looking like Hannaford's will be the only large store for food shopping in Meredith, I agree with those concerned about more traffic in an already busy area.

The new store is nice, but there is a problem with the narrow aisles. Remember, they had to "shoe-horn" that store into the limited space available. Even now when the store is not very busy, navigating the aisles is a challenge. On summer Fridays and Saturdays, with no other food store in town, Hannaford's will be full of shoppers who are unfamiliar with where things are in the store, jamming those narrow aisles, and slowing down the shopping process. This will lead to an overflow in the parking lot, due to the added shopping time, causing gridlock on the street from people waiting to enter the parking lot.

I think it is going to be a big mess, outside and inside.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #40
Moss Creek Media

Maybe they'll stay open 24 hours. I used to shop in Texas & Florida in the middle of the night, it was nice. Nobody was around.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #41
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Now that it is looking like Hannaford's will be the only large store for food shopping in Meredith, I agree with those concerned about more traffic in an already busy area.

The new store is nice, but there is a problem with the narrow aisles. Remember, they had to "shoe-horn" that store into the limited space available. Even now when the store is not very busy, navigating the aisles is a challenge. On summer Fridays and Saturdays, with no other food store in town, Hannaford's will be full of shoppers who are unfamiliar with where things are in the store, jamming those narrow aisles, and slowing down the shopping process. This will lead to an overflow in the parking lot, due to the added shopping time, causing gridlock on the street from people waiting to enter the parking lot.

I think it is going to be a big mess, outside and inside.

R2B
R2B I agree, it is tight now during the week even, I will go no where close on summer weekends! They will need traffic control or even a detail. They like slowing everyone down once you get in the store, getting us to stop in front of the yummy caaandy!

I live near Skelley's, Bart's and Ledgewood farm, so I usually shop there on weekends, then go to Heaths/ Hannaford/ BJ's during the week.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #42
donnamatrix

Default How to contact property owner

Does anyone know who the property owner is of place where Jackson Star currently is located ? Maybe beneficial to contact them and provide some hints as to what locals would like to see happen in that strip mall. By the way everything is 30% off 2/5/08, except lottery/newspapers, with liquor at 20% today
Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #43
GTO

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Does anyone know who the property owner is of place where Jackson Star currently is located ? Maybe beneficial to contact them and provide some hints as to what locals would like to see happen in that strip mall. By the way everything is 30% off 2/5/08, except lottery/newspapers, with liquor at 20% today

30% off!! Great, now their prices will be only a dollar or two more expensive than everywhere else. Or, they could be doing what Linens & Things and Circuit City did during their liquidations. Raise the price 20% and then have a 20% off sale. Gotta love the people that fall for that one. I know, bash a business when its down...how low
Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #44
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Same scam at Circuit City.....went down to check on their "sale" prices.I just bought a new Sharp 42" LCD at Sam's club for $725 and wanted to compare. They have marked all of the 42' LCD's up to $1,050 to $1,250 or so,and then SLASHED the prices down to $800 to $900 30% off. What a joke.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #45
sa meredith

Default thieves

Sorta like car dealerships that advertise $2000 minimum trade allowance, and they just mark up the price of the new car $2000.
Now there's a bunch of crooks...those car guys! gross
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #46
Meredith lady

Default Jackson star

No big sales at JS that I could see-and they are not getting any deliveries...vendors have actually been removing their items from the shelves. I know Frito Lay pulled all their products, as did Nisson bread and Pepperidge Farm.
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #47
Waterbaby

Default Professional Liquidators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Same scam at Circuit City.....went down to check on their "sale" prices.I just bought a new Sharp 42" LCD at Sam's club for $725 and wanted to compare. They have marked all of the 42' LCD's up to $1,050 to $1,250 or so,and then SLASHED the prices down to $800 to $900 30% off. What a joke.
Linens and Things and Circuit City hired professional liquidating firms to come in and close the stores; these people set their own prices which have no relation to the original store prices. I found that out when Kline's Furniture in Portsmouth closed; was talking to one of the guys working there and he explained how it works. There was also something on either WMUR or the national news about that happening at Linens and Things, too.

Last edited by Waterbaby; 02-06-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #48
Pineedles

Default 1929 ++++

Dear Folks of the Winnipesaukee Forum,

Those of you who are still in denial, here is your clue. If the rack jobbers for companies like Frito Lay and Pepperidge Farms are pulling their products off the shelves of supermarkets that are closing down, then this is a very serious economic situation we are headed for.

I am guilty of not taking it seriously enough in the past, but this post by Meredith Lady convinces me that we are headed for a real big problem. I am convinced, because 13 years ago the company I was working for was closing down, and the vendors didn't even bother to show up to take their stock back, even after they were invited in to take their inventory back. These inventory items were worth $200-$300 each. They couldn't be bothered to send a car to pickup 10 or 12 circuit boards. That's $2,000- $3,000 per vendor and there were at least 5-6 vendors who were contacted.

Now, the rack jobbers are sending in trucks at a cost of $1.00 per mile or more to pickup 50 bags of fritos? Or 20 loaves of bread? Very revealing!

Save every dime you have people! You haven't seen the worst yet.

My apologies to sa meredith who first sounded this crisis last summer and I told him he was over-reacting.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #49
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Dear Folks of the Winnipesaukee Forum,

Those of you who are still in denial, here is your clue. If the rack jobbers for companies like Frito Lay and Pepperidge Farms are pulling their products off the shelves of supermarkets that are closing down, then this is a very serious economic situation we are headed for.

I am guilty of not taking it seriously enough in the past, but this post by Meredith Lady convinces me that we are headed for a real big problem. I am convinced, because 13 years ago the company I was working for was closing down, and the vendors didn't even bother to show up to take their stock back, even after they were invited in to take their inventory back. These inventory items were worth $200-$300 each. They couldn't be bothered to send a car to pickup 10 or 12 circuit boards. That's $2,000- $3,000 per vendor and there were at least 5-6 vendors who were contacted.

Now, the rack jobbers are sending in trucks at a cost of $1.00 per mile or more to pickup 50 bags of fritos? Or 20 loaves of bread? Very revealing!

Save every dime you have people! You haven't seen the worst yet.

My apologies to sa meredith who first sounded this crisis last summer and I told him he was over-reacting.
This is not a depression, nor do I think it will become one, but it's not a normal recession either. We are living through the biggest credit bubble in the history of the world ! Expect at least another year, or more likely two, of job loses and house prices falling along with deflation, and then get ready for inflation
________
Volcano Vaporizer

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #50
Pineedles

Default Depression vs. Recession

I don't know what it will be other than a very troubling time for people. Also, I don't think the politicos in Washington have any idea what to do. They are still putting pork onto the economic stimulus package. They just don't get it! What can we do to prepare for inflation?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #51
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
They are still putting pork onto the economic stimulus package.
Yes, on both sides of the aisle - although the Republicans are doing a better job spinning Democratic pork, they have their own fair share - and tax cuts are pork for Republicans.

This is not going to be a Depression. This far into the original, American confidence in government, investing, and banks was almost nonexistent. The government - and I give credit to Bush for this, despite disagreeing with methods and management - has succeeded in creating a relatively soft landing. Everybody is tightening their belts, but there are not going to be any runs on banks, and nobody is suddenly going to convert their cash to gold and stick it in the walls of their house.

Well, nobody but my grandfather, who apparently has had $20,000 in silver coins walled up in his home for 40 years in anticipation of the next depression...
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #52
Irish mist

By printing trillions of dollars out of thin air I think it's impossile to avoid inflation. Lol, what to do is the difficult part. I suppose it's important to not go long on any investment. No long term bonds or CDs. But there really is no place to hide from inflation. I remember the Carter years all too well. Anyway.....I still think we will have to work though deflation first. Troubling times with no easy answers.
________
Harley-Davidson 8 Valve

Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #53
trfour

Default Economic Downturn Or Not....

[I will not name names here, however, I have walked into many stores and have been greeted by a huge display with an particular item, {"ON SALE"} at one price, lets say $2.49 a box, and on continuing through the isles where this same product is displayed in its normal area at, $3.49 same box.

Just let me say, Do the math, keep your senses about you, this kind of thing has been goin' on since dynosores.

T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #54
ApS

Thumbs up Local Shopper Here...

Quote:
"...I was a huge patron of Pier 19 in Tuftonboro even though the prices were high..."
After paying 75¢ for one apple there, I learned to carry a snack with me!

(Purchased locally, of course )

Quote:
"...If we want local business to stay in business we have to patronize them...How many drive by the local hardware store on their way to Lowe's to buy at a cheaper price?...Do your part...!"
Yer preachin' to the choir, here. Even before gasoline reached $4 per gallon, the time saved was worth it—especially if one or more items had to be exchanged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
"...the price gouging that JS has done for years in my opinion is not only unacceptable but also unethical..."
We forget that the former Soviet Union had "centralized planning" for their grocery stores prices—and empty shelves!

Stores should be free to use whatever pricing plan that "the traffic will bear":
No matter how inconvenient, none should dictate prices to JS in a free market system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
"...Corporate greed has been lining the owners' pockets for how long...?"
Around last September, some would be in favor of raising corporate taxes to counter "corporate greed"—but not today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
"...http://www.wincofoods.com/history.htm This is a great chain of grocery stores, very large, inexpensive, good quality. One can only hope they decide to expand to the east coast, but I doubt they will..."
Just one state away from your location is a restaurant that won't give you a check after a meal.

From a real estate site there:

Quote:
"...today I read about a unique restaurant in Salt Lake City called One World Cafe...If you go and eat there, don’t expect a check at the end of your meal...You tell them what size portion you want...and then you pay what you think is fair..."
While that "plan" may work over on your coast, do you think that pricing theory has a chance among Yankees—and especially anywhere near FLL?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #55
secondcurve

Irish Mist:

Gold Bullion is an asset class that will do well if inflation become as dire as you expect. I don't think it will get that bad, but one never knows.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #56
jmen24

Default Did you purchase both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
[I will not name names here, however, I have walked into many stores and have been greeted by a huge display with an particular item, {"ON SALE"} at one price, lets say $2.49 a box, and on continuing through the isles where this same product is displayed in its normal area at, $3.49 same box.

Just let me say, Do the math, keep your senses about you, this kind of thing has been goin' on since dynosores.

T
I would be interested to know if you purchased both items to see if the price difference existed at the register. I can only speak for one particular stores practices, but the POS system is based on the UPC code for that item and the item price stickers are then updated every week. It was not uncommon for sale stickers to be placed over the original price sticker in the isle, it then would be removed by someone for whatever reason. There are only two MAJOR grocery store chains in New England that force you to buy the quantity of the sale item in order to get the sale price. All of the shoppers that frequent the other store know that you get the sale price even if you buy only one of the sale item.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #57
Irish mist

Quote:
Irish Mist:

Gold Bullion is an asset class that will do well if inflation become as dire as you expect. I don't think it will get that bad, but one never knows.
I don't expect hyper-inflation, but I expect more inflation than we have seen in a long time due to the printing of money that is going on.
________
TOYOTA MARK II BLIT

Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #58
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Gotta Love Retail

Quote:

T
Pretty much what Jmen24 said...I work in retail, and the product pricing is based on the 12 character UPC code. It doesn't matter if the table at the front of the store says $2.49 and the aisle location says $3.49. It's what is in the computer.

It is not unusual to have a price change missed at one location, especially where there are multiple locations for something. What makes me shake my head is when there are 4 facings of the product on the shelf, there is only one new tag, so the person who is putting up the change just changes one tag and leaves the rest wrong . What are you thinking!

Unfortuanately, price changes have gotten way out of hand (IMHO)
Old 02-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #59
michael c

Default Jackson Star

Only time will tell... M.B. or Vista ?

Last edited by michael c; 05-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
michael c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #60
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
HI,
First,lets get a few things straight: I have worked for Stop & shop for 13 years and after a bit of a rest, I worked for M B for 11 years .
The store you are talking about is NOT related to Star Market . PERIOD !!!!!!!!! NOWHERE IN IT"S NAME DOES IT SAY THAT ..READ IT CAREFULLY
It is owned by a family in Ma.
They still own 2 stores in Ma.
I have been told that M.B. has bought the entire complex...I will check ,with a phone call or two , this week to verify.
If Arthur D has not bought the Jackson /complex...then it is only a matter of a month or so..He is drooling to get into that location...
The first thing he will do is tell the town council or selectmen that he wants to repave the entire lot. They will say okay..He will then rip out every one of those mini islands and pave the entire place..then he will put back 10 -14 trees but only 1-2 islands ..the town of Meredith will be pi$$ed but he will get away with it ...He is coming ...you can take that to the bank
Arthur Demoulas is worth in excess of 800 million dollars...pays cash for every site he has except the few in southern N.H. and north east mass. they are not for sale.
Hannaford took a chance and won ,,,they have a great location...hard to pull into and out of,,,,but a good location ,none the less..
they will do okay even though the prices are higher in the Meredith store than any other store in that same geographical area ,they will do fine..they run a really GREAT operation...very clean.... the cleanest i have seen in almost 28 years in the business.

Let me tell you : M.B. and Arthur D is coming ...and if anyone can prove to me that M.B. is not coming in ,I will sign a multi year lease for the Jackson site .... That is a promise.I will take all 30,000 sq.ft. and i will sign it this month..$7.50 NNN .but Artie already has his tallons on it.
Did you know ??? or Perhaps Artie D,,,did you know??? that in the business, you have a nick name ..."The Falcon"
Now perhaps we should look at the bigger picture: there are so many " BOX STORES " coming to the Meredith area that it will make your head spin. Sure ,in this economy they will move a bit slowly ,but once the economy has bottomed out in the VERY end of 2010 or the spring of 2011 .,
they will be in line ...The town Fathers in Meredith would be wise to ,if they haven't already, set up an area for Commercial development area ,because it will come ,,,kinda like the old sayin ,"if you build it ,they will come.

Huge plans for meredith and even the outer edge on 104 ,just outside the boundaries of Meredith ...Home depot and Lowes are right this minute,fighting for space to accomodate the towns people of Meredith ...lots "o money in Meredith!
I look forward to comments to this post....could be interesting

M
My sources have agreed with you EVERY post you've had that you've made predictions, we'll see if the same is true here. At first I thought the Market Basket rumor was wishul thinking but you have made me a believer.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #61
fatlazyless

There's plenty unemployed guys in Meredith so turning Meredith into a big-box retail Mecca would not be a bad thing. In the month of February 2009, the United States employment scene will have, for the first time ever, more woman than men, being employed. Recent terminations in construction and manufactoring have eliminated more men, than women, and women employed is hovering at 50% and rising. Men, employed, is hovering at 50%, and going down!

".....hello....will that be paper, or plastic?"......ok.....gotta practice that line a few more times.........!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #62
phoenix

you have made my day Michael. I do hope MB comes to town. The jackson space seems a little small unless they take over adjoining space
Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #63
sa meredith

Default progress

Although I'm sure progress can't be stopped, our exit off 93 is #23, and I would hate if one day we get off and it looks like exit #20.
Although there is an awful lot of open land still there.
It's just that getting off the highway, and seeing a Home Depot/Best Buy/99 etc.,...somehow wouldn't have that "get away" feeling. It would seem like everyday life.
Maybe I'm stretching a bit here?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #64
robmac

I would have to agree with SA,I to use exit 23 to get to the lake and don't want to see it turn into the same appearance as #20. They say that is progress but for over 30 yrs of going to the big lake it doesn't IMHO look like progress. I do hope MB does come in I use them at home and love the selction and prices.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #65
topwater

Does everyone feel, we should wait until the Town of New Hampton approves all of the changes you DO NOT want to see, and then complain about it to everyone that cannot make a difference (after the Fact ), like the person in the Laconia Sun who complained about why there is no seat belts in school buses, This should have been addressed BEFORE the accident, not AFTER! You are in the same position but you can call or e-mail the TOWN OF NEW HAMPTON, and express your feelings before the FACT, not AFTER! If you do not want to see Exit 23 turn in something like Exit 20 did, NOW IS THE TIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I am a Taxpayer in New Hampton, and I vote againest large growth every chance I get. Speak up now !!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #66
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There's plenty unemployed guys in Meredith so turning Meredith into a big-box retail Mecca would not be a bad thing. In the month of February 2009, the United States employment scene will have, for the first time ever, more woman than men, being employed. Recent terminations in construction and manufactoring have eliminated more men, than women, and women employed is hovering at 50% and rising. Men, employed, is hovering at 50%, and going down!

".....hello....will that be paper, or plastic?"......ok.....gotta practice that line a few more times.........!
There are more women than men in the US, so having more women employed isn't the tragedy you make it out to be.

The unemployment rate for women is equal to that of men. And rising.

And there have been more women in the workforce for some time.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #67
callmeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
There are more women than men in the US, so having more women employed isn't the tragedy you make it out to be.

The unemployment rate for women is equal to that of men. And rising.

And there have been more women in the workforce for some time.
Now all we have to do is get equal pay for the same jobs
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #68
fatlazyless

This year, 2009, will be the first year ever in US history where women will make up the majority, more than 50%, of the work force. That is an amazing statistic, and should not be discounted. In 1965, it was men 70%, women 30%, and the change started to accelerate in the 1980s to present. Women tend to have more jobs in health care and education, which have not seen the downturn of male oriented construction and manufactoring.

Locally, the Freudenburg-NOK auto parts maker with 130 employees, on the Gilford-Laconia line will probably close up soon. Mostly, men work there.
Fronting Route 104 in New Hampton, within one mile of the Meredith line, there's two parcels of land for sale. Priced low: 6 acres/$70,000, and ten acres/$100,000. That seems pretty low for commercial land.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #69
jmen24

Default You have stamped my point

MichealC, You have hammered my point about the JS location to the tee. MB only moves in if they can own it all and it would not suprise me to see that store go in. My thought on that original post was to give all the fans of MB around the lake as to how they operate. MB's real estate value far exceeds the value of the retail chain. I would be surprised to see them select that site just for how far off the path it is for the north country, seeing that Tilton has not bloomed as they had planned upon opening and that was one of the target areas for that location, it is getting there but it is taking a while. Micheal what store are you in, or.... are you supervision.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #70
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post

Let me tell you : M.B. and Arthur D is coming ...
Michael, M.B. may be coming but do you think there is enough business in the area to support 2 large grocery stores year round?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #71
angela4design

Default Closed?

I was there yesterday, and the store was closed. Although the sign on the door now reads Monday - Saturday hours, one employee at the neighboring liquor store thought they might already be done for good!
It's too bad - with the Derby going, there was s teady stream of U-turners that had to ask directions to Hannaford after finding them closed!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #72
wuwu

I feel really bad for the employees, not so bad for the owners! Very pricey store. I stopped going there years ago. I think Hannafords is very pricey too!
I am sticking with Heaths, they seem to have competitive prices with Hannafords, and better choice of meats.
wuwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #73
no-engine

Default Up the prices and 20% sale!

The Circuit City phenomenon.

CC did not jack prices and then discount. CC is done.

ALL THE SALES ARE IN THE HANDS OF A LIQUIDATING COMPANY.

Yes the employees still wear CC logo attire. Ask them; their payroll is coming from a specialist company in liquidations. That's the mode of liquidating company. By mid-March, you will see added discounts. Don't be fooled by this pricing strategy: believe me Circuit City is not involved.

THE MEREDITH SITUATION.

YES, there are now and will be significant traffic issues at current spot.
Since day one of OPC, I never liked JS store, as well as the design of the parking islands and lack of visibility created. When they started the Omni card required for sale items, we could go to October Farm Market, where a card was not required; management & staff were great. Well known butcher formerly from Heath's, Lee Nash, with Pat owned October Farm and now they manage the Vista Market in Laconia! Go there! Find him in the butcher's area.

Last edited by no-engine; 02-09-2009 at 07:25 PM.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #74
hockeypuck

JS', Love em or hate em, they paid taxes and employees. Tough economy for another store to start up. Hope you get your M B.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #75
maximaxine

Thumbs down Jacksons Star.

Jacksons star was not a big company he had 4 stores and now he has 1 and another small store. Also we didnt up the prices to mark them down. He actually was trying to be more competative with hannafords. it is a small company that helped the community. With out a big article to brag about it. . The gas prices made it very hard to keep the prices down last summer. a long with the fact not having the buying power of a huge company. the had unique items that other stores didnt carry we carried a better produce and better grade of meat. Now the first thing people will see when they come to meredith is a empty run down shopping center!!!TO DONNAMATRIX (the title of yourthread) Hope you are happy Jacksons star is finally going away. along with my job GOOD LUCK getting a parking spot at hannafords
maximaxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #76
trfour

Post DO the Math..

.. .. maximaxine. " Jacksons star was not a big company he had 4 stores and now he has 1 and another small store." {WHAT}????

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #77
fatlazyless

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal had an article about the Delhaize Group of Belgium. Delhaize has 2500 stores spread across eight countries in asia, europe and america. It has 1500 stores in the United States including Food Lion and Hannaford's. Delhaize was started in 1867 by Eduard Delhaize in a town outside of Brussels, Belgium.

Heath's in Center Harbor has one food store founded in about 1947 by Everett Heath, and from what I see, Heath's has better quality, selection, and lower prices than the Meredith Hannaford's.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #78
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
.. .. maximaxine. " Jacksons star was not a big company he had 4 stores and now he has 1 and another small store." {WHAT}????
refer to Skip's link above (post #24)

Quote:
The Avedisians continue to operate food stores in Weston, Mass., and Lexington, Mass., and retain the rights to the "Star" name in New Hampshire. Avedisian explained that, while Jackson's Star was independently owned, it had a relationship with the large supermarket chain and had purchased groceries from and done shared advertising with it.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #79
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
nobody is suddenly going to convert their cash to gold and stick it in the walls of their house.
I know someone who is doing exactly this...well, I'm not sure about the "in the walls" part of the statement...he won't tell us where he's hiding it. Where there's one, there's more.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #80
granitebox

Default Citizen Article

Related article:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...883/-1/CITIZEN
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #81
twoplustwo

Default losing a job stinks...

...maximaxine, I can commiserate as I was laid off in October and there's nothing out there. No one likes that end of the demise of JS, but it was caused by the business model the owners chose to embrace and they should be the focus of your anger.

Many years ago when I lived in Meredith, JS would jack their prices up from Memorial Day until Labor Day to take advantage of the tourists. Then they kept them jacked up year round, taking advantage of everyone. This was long before the current economic mess and any gas price issues. There is no excuse for their pricing, it was and always has been a matter of getting whatever they could out of the community. That's not 'good for the community', it was only good for JS and their bottom line.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #82
maximaxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
...maximaxine, I can commiserate as I was laid off in October and there's nothing out there. No one likes that end of the demise of JS, but it was caused by the business model the owners chose to embrace and they should be the focus of your anger.

Many years ago when I lived in Meredith, JS would jack their prices up from Memorial Day until Labor Day to take advantage of the tourists. Then they kept them jacked up year round, taking advantage of everyone. This was long before the current economic mess and any gas price issues. There is no excuse for their pricing, it was and always has been a matter of getting whatever they could out of the community. That's not 'good for the community', it was only good for JS and their bottom line.

I guess it doesnt matter nowdoes it. like i said good luck finding a parking spot at HANNAFORDS
maximaxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #83
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximaxine View Post
I guess it doesnt matter now does it. like i said good luck finding a parking spot at HANNAFORDS
THe Meredith planning board MUST re-visit the site plan.
It's miserable now; wait till May!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #84
EricP

My wife has almost been hit twice in that lot, people have no clue how to drive when approaching the exits. This Summer I imagine there will be a lot of little accidents there with the Summer increase of traffic and people. Very poor design and planning.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #85
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
My wife has almost been hit twice in that lot, people have no clue how to drive when approaching the exits. This Summer I imagine there will be a lot of little accidents there with the Summer increase of traffic and people. Very poor design and planning.
"THIS SUMMER"? ! I say May, if not much sooner.

The parking lot off High Street has drivers who do not follow common sense and the arrows painted for staying right and going round clockwise. I've seen hits at end of the center row, from cars going against the arrows.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #86
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
"THIS SUMMER"? ! I say May, if not much sooner.

The parking lot off High Street has drivers who do not follow common sense and the arrows painted for staying right and going round clockwise. I've seen hits at end of the center row, from cars going against the arrows.
I should have qualified "Summer" a bit better I consider Summer to start as soon as I can drop in the SeaDoos, which I often do before ice out
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #87
no-engine

Quote:
I should have qualified "Summer" a bit better I consider Summer to start as soon as I can drop in the SeaDoos, which I often do before ice out
I forget average ice out date; maybe April 20 or thereabouts.
I wrote May, but I'll agree with around ice out, when it can be real warm.

In any case, I went in to Meredith Hannaford yesterday around 4:00, with traffic issues - waiting to take left in to parking lot at florist end. Thyere are going to be real lines in that left turn queue. When I enter, I never drive towards building (too many pedestrians), but take immediate left and find space in an isle near the exit near movie theater, where it's a straight shot to that exit. I am usually headed back to Route 3 intersection.

The situation will never get better. It's sort of similar to Gilford: I hate driving "up the hill" to that Hannaford. I am glad the bank moved; I changed to them last year.

PS: I once dropped a sunfish in Lake before ice out, had a brief sail, and then packed up. Do not own the sunfish now, but also have canoed and kayaked before ice out - fun as very little other boat traffic!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #88
gus62

Default New Tenant going where Jackson Star was?????

I recently heard a rumor that the Liqour Store was asked to move to the far end of the shopping center so that a new tenant could lease the current liqour store space and combine it with the Jackson Star space to make a larger store. Has anybody else heard anything in regards to who or what might be going in there?
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #89
Jmo77011

Default Market Basket?

I heard that Market Basket was looking at it...but that is just a rumor, no real info to back it up. It would be nice though!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #90
fatlazyless

Yes, I heard the same about the liquor store moving, and Market Basket enlarging the old Star space from a local taxi cab driver about two months ago. He, by the way, absolutely-positively-absolutely despises the Meredith Hannaford and refuses to take any fares there. He will, however, takes fares to Heath's in Ctr Hbr for no additional mileage.....how 'bout that?

Like, it is all just a big "so what" what with the world's finest super market, E M Heath's, just an easy drive up to Center Harbor. Hey, check out Heath's reduced price, leftover bread, pastries, & cornbread, sandwiches, chili and bananas for low, low prices! Do they even have a poor person's, poverty food rack at Hannaford's or Market Basket? Plus, Heath offers six flavors of Vermont coffee, as a courtesy which means for free, just so's the customers stay awake long enough to get through the checkout.

Seems relevant to roll out the 3-dancing bananas for this thread..... !

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-17-2009 at 06:28 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #91
Way Out There 2

While at the liquor store last night I asked an employee about this and she confirmed it was true. She tyhought they would be moving sometime between bike week and the fourth of July.
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #92
no-engine

SPECULATION! a lot of it here.

Anyone think to ask the landlord?

I speculate, that being in the former drug store location, is more convenient for liquor store customers: all one level, more visible from road.
State needs to make money, and now trying to operate as business that it really is - make money, not loose.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #93
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

When I was there yesterday there was/were two guys in suits and clipboards walking around and looking in the windows of the old JS. I was going to stay and see what they were up to, but my other half was too fidgety and wanted to leave.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #94
no-engine

Could have been a siding contractor, or insurance estimator!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #95
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Could have been a siding contractor, or insurance estimator!
I've never seen a siding contractor wearing a suit and if I did I wouldn't hire him, he must be charging too much!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #96
no-engine

Quote:
I've never seen a siding contractor wearing a suit and if I did I wouldn't hire him, he must be charging too much!
Ha, jokingly speculating - forgive me!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #97
michael c

In spite of my prior postings,I have now been told that M.B. has no interest but that Vista foods , in the form of Harvest markets is interested ...but I wouldn't write that in ink just yet ...use a pencil
M
Old 05-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #98
meredith weekender

Just a rumor, but I heard that the liquor store was relocating to the Hannaford Plaza. As I started with, just a rumor. This info came from a local merchant in Meredith. I guess we will all know what really is happening in about 3 to 6 months when something starts to happen.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #99
fatlazyless

Seems like a 'no-brainer' for state liquor to move out of their existing Meredith spot next to the vacant former Star and reopen at Hannaford plaza, next to Rite Aid.

Best thing about state liquor is they always have a large supply of free, empty boxes, out front. You know, I built an entire second floor addition onto my cottage just using those state liquor empty boxes.....lol! Cheaper than lumber and just as good! Sure hope their new lease will permit them to stack all those empty boxes out front like that?

Heard state liquor is closing its' Ashland store.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-16-2009 at 05:52 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote