Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Remote controlled sailboat

We are looking for a recommendation for a remote controlled sailboat like the ones used in the Back Bay in Wolfeboro. Or maybe someone has a contact for someone in that group that could "steer" us in the right direction. This is for an x-mas present , but its OK if its late. thanks and Happy Holidays! Robin
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
We are looking for a recommendation for a remote controlled sailboat like the ones used in the Back Bay in Wolfeboro. Or maybe someone has a contact for someone in that group that could "steer" us in the right direction. This is for an x-mas present , but its OK if its late. thanks and Happy Holidays! Robin
I know the Back Bay group used to use the Soling 1M boats. Great boat, I built one and still use it. Just not around up there during the week to race. Used to race it in Gilford on Lilly Pond.
I know Victor Boats was the manufacturer and was looking for a new owner due to health issues, not sure what happened to that. The Soling group online changed formats and I didn't follow it.
Fun and easy boat to build and sail. I sail mine on the broads regularly in some good wind and it handles it.
Good luck
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
camp guy

Default Remote controlled sailboat

The absolute simplest answer is call the New Hampshire Boat Museum, 1-603-569-4554, and ask them the question. During the summer they have an adult-supervised building, program during which experienced RC modelers teach and assist anyone who wants to build an RC sailboat.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
marinewife

I just got off the phone with a friend who sails his on Back Bay in that club- He suggested Dragon Flight boats as some of the easiest to use- 80% is complete out of the box-

He said the DF95 and the DF65 are very good boats, require 3 foot deep water, and cost around $300.00

He also said that kits you build yourself which can run $400.00 will take another 40-50 hours to build.

Good luck!
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
chachee52

I would say building my Soling was the best part of the hobby. I went a little overboard and upgraded a lot of the parts, so I did go "over budget" but it was easy and fun. You get to know the boat and as you understand the handling of the boat or things break, it makes it easier to fix.
The only thing that I had them build was the keel and the rudder. The keel has to be a certain weight for these boats and if done wrong it goes badly.
No matter how you do it or what kind of boat you get, they are all fun in my opinion. I have sailed a bunch of other styles too. I have the hull of a Footy in my basement that when I have some time I hope to get going as well.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links