Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Dog Question--Please Help!

Today I was enjoying my daily walk on Black Cat Island when a rottweiler approached me. He came out of a driveway and kept walking next to me and stopping in front of me. I told him to go home, but he kept following me. I tried to bring him back down his driveway, but he kept trying to block me. There was a Massachusetts car in the driveway so I yelled loud, but no one answered. Maybe the owners had gone out for a boat ride. I was over a mile from from my home so I really didn't want the dog to follow me. As the dog was out in the miiddle of the road a car approached. I stopped the car to let them know that the loose dog in the road was not mine. They weren't familiar with the dog so I told them where I thought he lived. They lived where I was walking so they pulled into their driveway and preoccupied the dog so I could head home. I know that Moultonborough has a leash law, but that is not what bothered me. Why weren't the owners watching their dog! Also what do I do if a dog keeps following me? He kept walking in front of me which was very annoying. I have always had cats as pets, but never a dog. I enjoying seeing all the beautiful pictures of everyone's dogs on the forum so I know at least one of you can help me. If it happens again does anyone have any idea on how I get the dog to stop following me?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default not too much

There is not too much you can do. The dog may follow you for a bit but will likely head back home after a few minutes.

Regardless, a dog should not be off leash, off property- you should not feel guilty if it follows you.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
chipj29

It is possible that the dog escaped from his house without the owners knowing.
The dog was walking in front of you, as he was trying to "lead" you. One of my dogs, when we are in the woods I will sometimes let her off the leash as I know she will not run far. She runs up ahead, and waits for me to get close, then she will run up again. She does that over and over. I think she thinks she is the leader.
Our neighbor used to have a golden that would follow all the neighborhood kids around. He would be gone for hours, and would eventually find his way home either on his own, or in the back of a police car.

Anyway, Some dogs do that. It doesn't sound like the dog was threatening you, although I could see how that could be a bit intimidating to a non-dog person. I am not sure how you could keep the dog from following you though. The best you can do is to try to find the owner, and to loudly keep telling the dog to go home. If you have a cell phone, a call to the local PD would work too.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
It is possible that the dog escaped from his house without the owners knowing.
The dog was walking in front of you, as he was trying to "lead" you. One of my dogs, when we are in the woods I will sometimes let her off the leash as I know she will not run far. She runs up ahead, and waits for me to get close, then she will run up again. She does that over and over. I think she thinks she is the leader.
Our neighbor used to have a golden that would follow all the neighborhood kids around. He would be gone for hours, and would eventually find his way home either on his own, or in the back of a police car.

Anyway, Some dogs do that. It doesn't sound like the dog was threatening you, although I could see how that could be a bit intimidating to a non-dog person. I am not sure how you could keep the dog from following you though. The best you can do is to try to find the owner, and to loudly keep telling the dog to go home. If you have a cell phone, a call to the local PD would work too.
Chip has it right, my English Pointer does the same thing when off leash, has to be the first through the door, up the trail, doesn't matter.

If the dog was walking with you, then it was not threatened by you. Just maintain your composure, don't get excited. I would not walk down the driveway if the dog is showing any sign at all about not liking the idea of doing that. In the road you are outside of his area, in the driveway, you are not. His feeling could change.

Keep a cell on you and if you happen to see the owners when driving or walking by, stop and introduce yourself and ask to be formally introduced to the dog. If you know the dogs name, it makes it much easier for you feel comfortable in the situation.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
steadyon

Hi,
Another point, I have a friend on blackcat who tends my dog if I go on vacation. She walks her around the island.
My dog has bad knees in the hind legs, what if the large dog decides it wants to play with my dog and causes her injury? Is that right?
Being an owner of a dog with restrictions I am angered by loose dogs whose owners don't care about rules or laws.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

I would suggest you don't acknowledge the dog, don't make eye-contact, and don't speak to him. That can be easier said than done, especially with something as big as a Rottie, but dogs know rejection when they see it. If you engage the dog, expect to be treated as his/her 'alpha' and to be followed.

If this is a common occurrence I would contact the town's animal control officer to let them know of your encounter and let them handle the situation with the dog's owner. The dog is just being a dog - it's the owner's responsibility to keep their pet confined according to the laws.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I would suggest you don't acknowledge the dog, don't make eye-contact, and don't speak to him. That can be easier said than done, especially with something as big as a Rottie, but dogs know rejection when they see it. If you engage the dog, expect to be treated as his/her 'alpha' and to be followed.

If this is a common occurrence I would contact the town's animal control officer to let them know of your encounter and let them handle the situation with the dog's owner. The dog is just being a dog - it's the owner's responsibility to keep their pet confined according to the laws.
One of the best statements for advice yet. Don't make eye contact. Calling the Moultonborough Police is probably the second best advice that has been given. Our yellow lab Sam escaped a few years back and someone must have called the MPD and after many hours of searching, we called the MPD, and sure enough they had him. He was in the pen at the far part of the parking lot looking so dejected and alone, but safe. The MPD officer on duty was so kind and understanding about how we were concerned about Sam and he told us the story of how they just opened the door and (stupid O, thats that's what we call him when he is being a typical lab) just hopped in the back of the patrol car and was taken to jail.

The MPD understand about lost dogs and I would give them a 10 as far as handling lost dogs!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Seeker

My wife carries a type of Mace with her everytime she walks our dog. This started when an irresponsible owner of a mastiff just let him run loose and he attacked our dog while my wife was walking him resulting in hundreds of dollars in vet bills, never to be recovered. Neither sheriff nor local dog officer would respond due to the dog belonging to a local whacko who most of them don't want to be involved with as he has threatened LEOS before.

In my opinion the owner should get the Mace, not the dog.

Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
lawn psycho

If that was my routine route, given the breed, I'd be carrying a 22 caliber pistol. If it happens again I'd call the police or animal control.

Those dogs are territorial and can be peaceful one day and spit nails the next. I'm a huge dog lover but Rotts and Pits can not be trusted.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
baygo

Default Simple Commands

Try this. Command the do to sit. Then after the dog sits, Command it to stay. Then just walk away. Use simple one word commands.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
ApS

Thumbs up Pretty Comprehensive, Don't You Think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

All good advice.

As one who has been bitten three times (but 10-15 years between bitings)—and while debating "Pit Bull" bitings elsewhere—I stumbled upon some sensible advice from Canada:

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote