Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
overeasy

Default Proof of safety course req'd? How likely to check?

I'll be vacationing in Wolfeboro at the end of the month and will be bringing my 16' aluminum boat with me. I have taken the coast guard auxiliary boat safety class in PA, even though it's not required for me (in PA) because I was born before 1982. I can't find the certificate. Is this something the authorities routinely ask for? I will be a fully law-abiding citizen, enjoying the water with my wife and kids, all sober and in cute little coast guard approved PFDs. Do they stop people like me and demand safety certificates?

I have it somewhere - I packed up my den when we had our second kid - it's somewhere in that stuff and eventually I will find it so I'm not going to bother requesting a reprint if it's not likely I'll need it.

Very much looking forward to my visit. I just put new flotation foam and a new transom in the boat. I hope to get a couple local trips in first, otherwise it's christening will be in Winnipesaukee.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
icg56

Been up here for 60 years and never been stopped for routine check. I think if there is a "for cause" stop, the issue will be raised.
icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have been checked 3 times; once when we had broken down and were waiting for a tow, and two different times during a "safety check". Last time was perhaps 3 years ago, perhaps a little longer.
Just realize that if you are visited by the MP, you need to have your certificate.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
fatlazyless

For boats with motors 25-hp and less, a boater's education certificate is not required.

To operate a boat with a motor greater than 25-hp, one has to be 16-years old.

I got a 98 out of 100, 50-multiple guess questions, on my boater ed test ....... so there!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
GTO

Default Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
I'll be vacationing in Wolfeboro at the end of the month and will be bringing my 16' aluminum boat with me. I have taken the coast guard auxiliary boat safety class in PA, even though it's not required for me (in PA) because I was born before 1982. I can't find the certificate. Is this something the authorities routinely ask for? I will be a fully law-abiding citizen, enjoying the water with my wife and kids, all sober and in cute little coast guard approved PFDs. Do they stop people like me and demand safety certificates?

I have it somewhere - I packed up my den when we had our second kid - it's somewhere in that stuff and eventually I will find it so I'm not going to bother requesting a reprint if it's not likely I'll need it.

Very much looking forward to my visit. I just put new flotation foam and a new transom in the boat. I hope to get a couple local trips in first, otherwise it's christening will be in Winnipesaukee.

Of course, you just basically told marine patrol when and where you will be
Old 07-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
Doobs41378

If pulled over by MP they will ask to see certificate.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
Seaplane Pilot

Perhaps you can go to a marina in Wolfeboro that rents boats and ask them to give you the "quiz" for a 14 day temporary boating certificate. I suspect that anyone that takes this quiz has a 100% success / passing rate, so it might solve your problem. Good luck!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Do they stop people like me and demand safety certificates?

Doobs41378
Quote:
If pulled over by MP they will ask to see certificate.
What Doobs said
You can always call the people in PA that issued the cert and see if they can email/mail you something to prove you took the course. Or unpack like crazy.

I have never been stopped by F&G in NH, but I have been in ME and VT. Both will accept being shown an image on the cell phone. At least for fishing license purposes.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Perhaps you can go to a marina in Wolfeboro that rents boats and ask them to give you the "quiz" for a 14 day temporary boating certificate. I suspect that anyone that takes this quiz has a 100% success / passing rate, so it might solve your problem. Good luck!
That would not be correct.

Many of the rental places lose business every day because people can't pass the test. The boat rental places on the lake have a list of Captains that they will use to pilot a rental boat for people who can't pass, or won't take, the test. The places that rent wave runners turn away numerous people daily who do not have a certificate.

The Marine Patrol sends in spotters to random check the testing sites to make sure that they comply with the regulations. The people administering the test have to be approved by the Marine Patrol.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Top-Water

Quote:
I'll be vacationing in Wolfeboro at the end of the month and will be bringing my 16' aluminum boat with me. I have taken the coast guard auxiliary boat safety class in PA, even though it's not required for me (in PA) because I was born before 1982.
If your boat is registered in PA and has Pennsylvania bow numbers you can almost count on getting stopped. I know this/my statement might draw criticism but I've seen it first hand on many occasions where Marine Patrol will target boats that are from out of state. Many times I have seen several boats going by together in the no wake zone at the southern end of Winnisquam, all of them completely abiding the no wake and any other rules and the boat with the out of state bow numbers is always the one to get pulled over for the so called friendly courtesy check. While they tend to be less aggressive towards other close by states within New England. Boats from states outside the region always get pulled over first. For years New Hampshire and (I believe Alaska?) fought reciprocity and I can't help but think that every time I have seen it happen its been New Hampshire's little way of discouraging boat owners from registering a boat in their home states and missing out on registration fees and personal property revenue. In many instances it makes sense to register your boat in New Hampshire, not to much of a debate on that, but to the original question Do they stop people like me and demand safety certificates? Yup. because they are almost counting on you not having one and Pennsylvania bow numbers if you have them will be the invitation to ask you.

However as mentioned if the boat has less than 25 horsepower, no boating certificate is needed, but you will still need to abide by all the other rules and regulations regardless of how much horsepower the boat has.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
That would not be correct.

Many of the rental places lose business every day because people can't pass the test. The boat rental places on the lake have a list of Captains that they will use to pilot a rental boat for people who can't pass, or won't take, the test. The places that rent wave runners turn away numerous people daily who do not have a certificate.

The Marine Patrol sends in spotters to random check the testing sites to make sure that they comply with the regulations. The people administering the test have to be approved by the Marine Patrol.
I'd like to see the true facts and statistics about the "flunk" rate. I don't believe for a minute that the rental agencies flunk people on a regular basis, with the end result denying a high-profit rental. Regardless, the entire concept is a joke from a safety perspective.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
If your boat is registered in PA and has Pennsylvania bow numbers you can almost count on getting stopped. I know this/my statement might draw criticism but I've seen it first hand on many occasions where Marine Patrol will target boats that are from out of state. Many times I have seen several boats going by together in the no wake zone at the southern end of Winnisquam, all of them completely abiding the no wake and any other rules and the boat with the out of state bow numbers is always the one to get pulled over for the so called friendly courtesy check. While they tend to be less aggressive towards other close by states within New England. Boats from states outside the region always get pulled over first. For years New Hampshire and (I believe Alaska?) fought reciprocity and I can't help but think that every time I have seen it happen its been New Hampshire's little way of discouraging boat owners from registering a boat in their home states and missing out on registration fees and personal property revenue. In many instances it makes sense to register your boat in New Hampshire, not to much of a debate on that, but to the original question Do they stop people like me and demand safety certificates? Yup. because they are almost counting on you not having one and Pennsylvania bow numbers if you have them will be the invitation to ask you.

However as mentioned if the boat has less than 25 horsepower, no boating certificate is needed, but you will still need to abide by all the other rules and regulations regardless of how much horsepower the boat has.

Maybe. But it could also be that MP knows exactly how folks in the OP's situation might think. Something along the lines of: "I'm only here for a few days...I know what I'm doing...taking the test is a pain...if they're not going to pull me over...".

Since some people in the OP's situation probably do not know what they're doing, I'm glad the MP is out there.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
8gv

Quote:
I'd like to see the true facts and statistics about the "flunk" rate. I don't believe for a minute that the rental agencies flunk people on a regular basis, with the end result denying a high-profit rental. Regardless, the entire concept is a joke from a safety perspective.

As I see it the safety aspect of the safe boating certificate is only part of the program. The other part is accountability. If you have taken a class and passed the test it is hard to say "I didn't know" (even though the law is the law regardless of what one professes to know).
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
kawishiwi

Default Education actually works

Any boating education will & does improve safety. Whether its a quick review before a temporary license test or a day long class followed by a proctored test this education helps. Sure, its not perfect. Some will pass the test and still do something stupid. My son just completed a very basic motorcycle education class and will get a lower rate on insurance for completing it. You can be sure that if an insurance company gives lower rates for that education its because they have hard data showing lower risk for even basic safety education. There is no reason to believe this same principle doesnt apply to boats.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
Kerk

Smile V acation On the Lake!

I would be sure to pick up a Chart of the of the Lake. Thinking of Middle ground Shoals - Graveyard etc as well of the location the Marker Buoys and direction to pass on ! JM2CW kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #16
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Any boating education will & does improve safety. Whether its a quick review before a temporary license test or a day long class followed by a proctored test this education helps. Sure, its not perfect. Some will pass the test and still do something stupid. My son just completed a very basic motorcycle education class and will get a lower rate on insurance for completing it. You can be sure that if an insurance company gives lower rates for that education its because they have hard data showing lower risk for even basic safety education. There is no reason to believe this same principle doesnt apply to boats.
You have that right!

Same with extra training in airplanes.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Renters

They may pass a safety course but they sure don't know how to navigate a boat. One pontoon renter came in to Glendale dock way to fast last year. Everyone yelling to slow down! Road up the swim platform of my boat almost into the cockpit and broke a line and the boat ram into the boat tied next to it. First time in a 22' foot Thurston rental. He had no idea that boats don't have brakes!

Obviously a safety course does not mean you are a safe driver.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
They may pass a safety course but they sure don't know how to navigate a boat. One pontoon renter came in to Glendale dock way to fast last year. Everyone yelling to slow down! Road up the swim platform of my boat almost into the cockpit and broke a line and the boat ram into the boat tied next to it. First time in a 22' foot Thurston rental. He had no idea that boats don't have brakes!

Obviously a safety course does not mean you are a safe driver.
Exactly my point - thank you.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
wtibert

Default I saw failures Monday...

Quote:
I was in the office at Meredith Marina on Monday and three guys were trying to rent a boat. They all took the "test", and two of them failed. The third was dancing around the office saying, "I passed! I passed!"

I casually asked where they were headed, went out to my boat, and went in a completely different direction.....
Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Close Call

We had a very call in our pontoon boat on Sunday near the graveyard. We had the right of way and a pontoon to our left cut right across in front of us. They just missed hitting us. We were shocked!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #21
8gv

It is often that I find myself giving way when my vessel should stand on.

It can be annoying at times but I am ok with the concept of collision avoidance being a shared responsibility.

When my passengers start commenting on the other captains' apparent lack of knowledge or manners I just tell them:

"Give 'em enough rope to hang themselves but not enough to hang me!"
Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #22
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
It is often that I find myself giving way when my vessel should stand on.

It can be annoying at times but I am ok with the concept of collision avoidance being a shared responsibility.

When my passengers start commenting on the other captains' apparent lack of knowledge or manners I just tell them:

"Give 'em enough rope to hang themselves but not enough to hang me!"
This is my thinking as well...I'm never in a hurry anyway so let the people who are in a hurry go by...that way they're out of my path quicker.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #23
salty dog

Me as well. Almost everyone seems to be in a hurry on the lake. That being said, I'm an older guy; everyone always seems to be in a hurry to me!
However, It appears more and more often, that the stand on rule becomes more of a "stand off" these days. I sit tight and hold my course (if I'm the stand on) and if the other boat shows no sign of giving way, well then, I do. As Hillcountry does, I turn aside and let them speed on. It's their gas and I'm not in a hurry.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

In my air traffic controller days, we would talk about pilots applying their right of way right up to the point of impact. Same is true in boating. As has been said by others, I have no problem giving way if I am the the stand- on boat. Safety first.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #25
overeasy

I'll keep looking for it. My boat is more than 25HP and you have my scared I'm an "easy mark" with out of state stickers. PA will send me a new card for $5 but it will take 30-40 days - too long! And it's a mail-in form, not something that provides digital proof right away. I didn't put much thought into keeping it somewhere sacred because it's not needed in PA for boaters born before 1982. I could retake an online version of the class for $45 and print a card immediately, but money is a little tight.

Maybe I will have my wife do it so she gets a better safety lesson than the one I give her at the ramp.

Very much looking forward to my trip! I plan to get a Bizer chart. This will be one of the first outings for this new boat.

And I agree with you on forfeiting being the stand-on vessel - most of my experience is on small sailboats on the Chesapeake. In that scenario one has to assume that every other boat is piloted by a drunk a-hole, or someone who is below deck and trusting their autopilot. I'm happy to change course before they even know I'm there. It's not like I'm in a hurry.

Last edited by overeasy; 07-07-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Translated from Pennsylvania Dutch
Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #26
overeasy

Do you think NH will care if my certificate is from Maryland? BoatUS foundation offers a free online course and MD certificate. I'll gladly take the 6 hour class as a refresher. A lot of my boating is done in Maryland anyhow, as I'm about 20 miles from the PA/MD border.

Here is the link for anyone who stumbles upon this thread: it's good for 20+ states. Except NH. And mine. Go figure.

https://www.boatus.org/free/
Old 07-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #27
HomeWood

Quote:
Do you think NH will care if my certificate is from Maryland?
I rented from Winnisquam Marine last Summer with my NC issued one.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
Woody38

I believe NH will accept Maryland and North Carolina License. These states appear to be NASBLA approved.

Exemptions:

New Hampshire accepts the following certificates or licenses in lieu of the New Hampshire Safe Boating Certificate.
•A boating certificate issued by another state agency and NASBLA approved.
•A boating certificate issued by the U.S. Power Squadrons.
•A boating certificate issued by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
•An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the U.S. Coast Guard.
•An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the state of New Hampshire.

Go to www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire and click on "other states".

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #29
overeasy

Found it! It's not a card, but an 8x10 certificate suitable for framing. It's issued by the USCG Auxiliary so (per Woody38's post above) I should be good! I already registered for the online MD course so I'll probably do that too, as a refresher.

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #30
persistence

I have a FL lic and its on the NASBLA site. I also have USCG Masters. My FL card was delaminated, so I just called last week and they sent me a new one. Not bad since first issue was probably 20 years ago. I'll most likely keep it in my travelling boat bag
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #31
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Glad you found your certificate. I think you should now be able to get the USCG Aux to issue a wallet size card, perhaps for a small fee?

Out of state boaters don't stand out because of their bow numbers. They stand out because only NH has a 150' headway speed rule boat to boat where most other states only require headway speed near shore, docks, etc. I've heard MP ask out of staters if they are familiar with the 150' rule. They say yes, but they are not familiar with the New Hampshire 150' rule. Big difference.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #32
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Glad you found your certificate. I think you should now be able to get the USCG Aux to issue a wallet size card, perhaps for a small fee?

Out of state boaters don't stand out because of their bow numbers. They stand out because only NH has a 150' headway speed rule boat to boat where most other states only require headway speed near shore, docks, etc. I've heard MP ask out of staters if they are familiar with the 150' rule. They say yes, but they are not familiar with the New Hampshire 150' rule. Big difference.
I lost count, Sunday, of the myriad of Boaters in state and out, that completely ignore the 150' "rule" along with many many no wake zone violators.
My daughter had the reason pegged...no consequences no comply...and the marine patrol was only seen where they are "usually" seen parked outside the weirs channel seemingly, oblivious to other parts of the lake...just sayin'
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #33
HomeWood

I have tried to comply with the 150' rule when passing other boats going the opposite direction. I was the only idiot slowing down and it started to seem completely pointless. For example this was on Winnipesaukee in Moultonboro between M-Bay and Lees Mills. It can get tight on a busy day and here I am trying to comply while everybody is probably laughing at me. Unless it was going to be really close I stopped bothering.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #34
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I have tried to comply with the 150' rule when passing other boats going the opposite direction. I was the only idiot slowing down and it started to seem completely pointless. For example this was on Winnipesaukee in Moultonboro between M-Bay and Lees Mills. It can get tight on a busy day and here I am trying to comply while everybody is probably laughing at me. Unless it was going to be really close I stopped bothering.
That's a real tough area to keep 150' from both the shore and other boats and, frankly, no way are people gonna do headway speed for that long a distance on a busy day.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #35
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Don't feel bad even Marine Patrol does not slow down in this area!

If the 150' rule makes the lake so much safer, one has to ask why are we the only lake in the country (probably world!) that has adopted it??...Besides the rule being ridiculous, the biggest problem I see is how many boaters don't know the difference between 150' and 1500'!! I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen boaters with their hands in the air waving all flustered and screaming 150', 150' when a boat passes them 3 times that distance away! If you get scared when a boat goes by 125' away then you should probably not be captaining a boat...and before anybody bashes me, I follow the rules of the lake.

Dan
Old 07-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #36
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I boat out of Ambrose Cove and understand your issue. If boats stay reasonably close to the markers, there should be no issue. I have noted 2 new floats and
at least 1 boat moored offshore in the narrows which do not help.

To the OP, take a picture of your certificate. It will suffice for most , if not all, MP officers.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #37
ursa minor

I refuse to have a nice day on the lake ruined by the ignorance of others. I'll alter course all day for those "less informed" to keep my passengers and myself safe; no sense debating right of way with someone that has no clue. (I'll even wave back with all my fingers!) All one needs to do is walk around the public docks on a busy day and watch;it's not hard to pick out the amateurs from the professionals. What amazes me is that in many cases it's the people with really expensive boats that have the lowest boat handling skills.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #38
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

If the 150' rule makes the lake so much safer, one has to ask why are we the only lake in the country (probably world!) that has adopted it??...Besides the rule being ridiculous, the biggest problem I see is how many boaters don't know the difference between 150' and 1500'!! I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen boaters with their hands in the air waving all flustered and screaming 150', 150' when a boat passes them 3 times that distance away! If you get scared when a boat goes by 125' away then you should probably not be captaining a boat...and before anybody bashes me, I follow the rules of the lake.

Dan
Dan, come on. It's not about 150 feet, it's about revenue. (Sarcasm font, I'm 100% with you on this.) Arbitrary, subjective rule at best and often applied as a means to an end from my observation. People that complain about a busy weekend on the lake would be horrified by "safe passage" rules that apply virtually anywhere else. Nothing like having a 50 foot sport fishing boat throttle up leaving a harbor no wake zone 10 feet off your beam to make you realize you're not on Lake Winnipesaukee anymore...
Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #39
8gv

I regularly operate a boat in FL where there is no 150' rule.

After so much time boating in NH it is a bit disconcerting when a Florida boat blows by 50' away.

Last weekend I was at the cape in a friend's boat. We passed a boat port to port in a meeting situation with about 10' of clearance. Both boats were planing briskly. It was very uncomfortable.

I like the 150' rule even if not everybody follows it. I figure if half the boats do it's still better than none.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #40
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Dan, come on. It's not about 150 feet, it's about revenue. (Sarcasm font, I'm 100% with you on this.) Arbitrary, subjective rule at best and often applied as a means to an end from my observation. People that complain about a busy weekend on the lake would be horrified by "safe passage" rules that apply virtually anywhere else. Nothing like having a 50 foot sport fishing boat throttle up leaving a harbor no wake zone 10 feet off your beam to make you realize you're not on Lake Winnipesaukee anymore...
Yup agreed! Safe passage, good for the rest of the world but not here for some reason.

The best boating course I can think of would be a weekend day at the mouth of the Merrimack. Oh the horror!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #41
overeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Yup! Only five bucks. But it will take 30-40 days to arrive. I'll be home and unpacked by then. I'm taking the Maryland class online, it's a good refresher and will get me a legit card I will print and laminate.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #42
8gv

Mount new, carry a spare.

Read the chart and know what the markers mean.

The marker system may not be familiar to you and I think that is how much of boat damage is done here.

An SS prop has different performance characteristics than aluminum. It's not just about corrosion and salt water.

Also, an SS prop hitting a rock may transmit more of the impact to your prop shaft and vertical drive shaft than an aluminum prop would.

It can transmit more impact to your wallet as well.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #43
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
No rule is perfect, and yeah, who knows if 150' is exactly right. But your description of other places makes me appreciate the 150' rule.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #44
MikeF-NH

Quote:

Dan
I 100% agree with Dan in many people just don't realize how close 150' is. As I hunter I KNOW Dan knows because a 50 yard shot in the woods and darn close and most hunters in NH are aware of that distance. 150 is only 50 yards...I have a one yard pace (which is two steps by the way). If you take 50 paces (100 steps) I think many would be shocked how close that is and maybe more shocked how many boats they previously thought were inside that distance are actually twice that distance.

Having said that, I know where I am comfortable when on plane and its more like 200-300 feet...mostly because I drive defensively and assume the OTHER guys is going to make a mistake. Sometimes heavy traffic gets me closer to 150 and I usually slow down until I'm 100% sure the other guy sees me and has committed his course. Anytime there is doubt, I come off plane, smile and wave. That said, there are also many times when I'm suprised how unattentive or unconcerned other boaters are in regards to their course in relation to my or other boats in the area. I do very much prefer (and enjoy) being on the lake when the traffic is light or non-existant.

Last edited by MikeF-NH; 07-20-2017 at 05:55 AM.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #45
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I 100% agree with Dan in many people just don't realize how close 150' is. As I hunter I KNOW Dan knows because a 30 yard shot in the woods and darn close and most hunters in NH are aware of that distance. 150 is only 30 yards...I have a one yard pace (which is two steps by the way). If you take 30 paces (60 steps) I think many would be shocked how close that is and maybe more shocked how many boats they previously thought were inside that distance are actually twice that distance.

Having said that, I know where I am comfortable when on plane and its more like 200-300 feet...mostly because I drive defensively and assume the OTHER guys is going to make a mistake. Sometimes heavy traffic gets me closer to 150 and I usually slow down until I'm 100% sure the other guy sees me and has committed his course. Anytime there is doubt, I come off plane, smile and wave. That said, there are also many times when I'm suprised how unattentive or unconcerned other boaters are in regards to their course in relation to my or other boats in the area. I do very much prefer (and enjoy) being on the lake when the traffic is light or non-existant.
I agree with all of your points (and Dan's) but 150 feet equals 50 yards.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #46
ApS

Question Answer: Mebbe a Quarter Mile?

Quote:
Yup agreed! Safe passage, good for the rest of the world but not here for some reason.
How far around Lake Winnipesaukee would you get if you circumnavigated the lake within 150-feet of shore?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #47
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
How far around Lake Winnipesaukee would you get if you circumnavigated the lake within 150-feet of shore?

I must be missing something....

I have no issue with headway speed 150' from STATIONARY objects such as the shoreline, moored boats, islands, etc, etc. I have an issue with headway speed every time you encounter an active boat going the same direction or opposite within 150'. I think HomeWood gave a perfect example when he mentioned Moultonborough Neck. No one and that includes Marine Patrol goes headway speed when encountering another boat in the opposite direction in that area and there many others like it on the lake.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #48
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I agree with all of your points (and Dan's) but 150 feet equals 50 yards.
Since when? You dont miss a thing do ya SP?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #49
ApS

Arrow Winter Harbor's Free-For-All...

'Glad overeasy found the certificate, although enforcement has dropped anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course, you just basically told marine patrol when and where you will be
But even without the certificate, the OP can find Winter Harbor, where violations were the "rule". Today, a Wednesday, was sunny, and just as hectic than any weekend I can remember.

A supposedly-muffled dragboat was blasting by every hour or so, and had already started his affronts last weekend. GFBLs routinely rattle Winter Harbor at WOT--where the NHMP hasn't been seen for many days. A wake-setter started a run pointed within 25-feet of my boat.

I've made it halfway through Winter Harbor's summer lacking a 2017 registration sticker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
No rule is perfect, and yeah, who knows if 150' is exactly right. But your description of other places makes me appreciate the 150' rule.
"Other places" have some odd rules:

Minnesota has their 100-foot rule, and although I haven't learned the particulars, Wisconsin has both a 100-foot and 200-foot rules.

The 150-foot rule makes lots of sense on a lake with water skiers at the end of 75-foot towing lines. It is also a rare event when a boat can return for a fallen skier within the span of 150-feet.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #50
winni83

Quote:
:

I've made it halfway through Winter Harbor's summer lacking a 2017 registration sticker! :

Glad to know that are violating the law, unless your boat is not being used. Will let the Marine Patrol know so that they will have a reason to pay a visit to Winter Harbor.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #51
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
I've made it halfway through Winter Harbor's summer lacking a 2017 registration sticker!
scoff·law

/ˈskôflô/

noun: scofflaw; plural noun: scofflaws

a person who flouts the law, especially by failing to comply with a law that is difficult to enforce effectively.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #52
overeasy

Default Follow up from OP

I very much enjoyed my week on the Winni. Had the boat out 4 days with no real issue. I stayed clear of other boats where possible, even if I was the stand-on vessel.

A yellow Donzi passed me well within 150 yards but he was leaving dock and had to put on a show getting it up on plane. I had to quickly turn to avoid taking his wake straight on my port beam.

And as I was leaving my fishing spot in a quiet cove, passing in front of a stopped ski boat, he gunned it and crossed right in front of me. Every person on the boat looking backwards at the skier, of course.

Everyone else was courteous and safe. Some coming off plane when we were 400 or more yards away and not on intersecting paths.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #53
8gv

I'm glad you had a good time. The rule is 150', not yards though.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #54
overeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'm glad you had a good time. The rule is 150', not yards though.
Ha! OOPS. I erred big time on the side of the safety. So did nearly everyone else. Donzi guy was okay then. Ski boat was still not. That was too close - especially towing a ten year old who didn't know how to ski. Thankfully he stayed up long enough to not be right in my path.