Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Smile Auto Races ???

Is there somewhere, other than the race tracks in Louden, that I could take a little boy to see a car race?

I'm not looking for anything commercial, large, or all that loud. A small venue would be best, as he has autism. I think a NASCAR event would be too much for him at this point, but he's dying to see some race cars making left-hand turns. Even a street racing event would be a hit with this kid.

Thanks!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Hermit Cover

Default Karts....

What about the Go Kart weekends at Loudon...(these are NOT your Weirs Beach bumper karts....) Much more sophisticated and usually with drivers beginning around age 8 to adults in many different classes....on a smalller scale with a smaller crowd and not the eardrum bustin' noise. My kids grew up with racing karts at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia....Fun...Fun
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
GM doc

Epping for drag racing. quick, And then 2 more down the strip. It can be exciting.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
pcmc

A while back there was track called SugarHill Speedway. This was an oval dirt track that raced quads, ect... I heard the entire place had been redone. Might be worth looking into to see if its what your looking for.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Hermit Cover

Default Legends....

As an afterthought...look up NH Int. and check out the Legend Cars Weekends and other car classes also.....much less congestion and not the wild weekend Nascar brings....left turns galore!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Lee NH

Lee has a 1/4 mile or perhaps as large as 1/2 track on Rte 125. About 45 minute ride from Alton.

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.leeusaspeedway.com/

Last edited by upthesaukee; 04-14-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Add website
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
trfour

Post Lee Speedway...

A W, try this out. This link will give you there schedules, contact info and directions if you should be interested. Its a small track and not far from the Lake.

Link to their website; http://www.leeusaspeedway.com/Direct...6/Default.aspx

Good luck.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Pepper

Default Just a few thoughts...

I love the Legends idea at NHIS, because he'll get the experience of the racing, without the crushing crowds, and without the deafening noise.

I'm concerned that the noise at Lee would be more than he'd be comfortable with. It's loud enough to be heard a few miles away at the dragstrip on a hot summer's night.

There is also a small dirt track up in Canaan, which has stock car racing on Friday nights in the summer. The venue is the right size, but again the noise might be a bit more than he'd be comfortable with. It's also a bit of a drive, so that might add another issue to the mix as well.

I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
dpg

If he'd wear them some type of ear protection may help, believe me he won't be the only person there using something.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I used to race Sprint cars. I would also suggest Lee Speedway. There are these little things called ear plugs that cut down on noise, while still being able to feel it. Plus the people at the Lee track are a very friendly crowd. Of course you need to watch out at any venue of the folk that might have had a few in the parking lot before the race. Happens at every race.

BTW, Road runner and Late Model classes have been cut at Lee. Not enough cars. The Small block races are the ones to see.
You should also check out the NHMS website as they have what is called track days, and spec racer races there. No drinking crowds at those races. You will meet great people there and might even get the boy a ride in a car, for a lap around the track. Check out the Vintage race cars on May 17-22 and the 24 hours of Lemons. Fun race.

They also do the Legends cars there, as well as several different sports car clubs, that use the track, such as COM. Com is just regular folks driving almost regular cars on the track just for fun.

http://www.uslegendcars.com/

http://www.comscc.org/

Just for a few different options.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
robmac

NHMS also has the SCCA events. These cars race the clock on a preset course and aren't too loud and no sardine type crush of spectators. All in all a great event.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
AllAbourdon (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
Blue Thunder

The former Star Speedway is now called Hudson Speedway in Hudson, NH. A very inexpensive alternative.

http://www.starspeedway.com/

BT
Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Happy Gourmand

Default Star Speedway..

Star Speedway and Hudson Speedway are not the same. Star is in Epping...Hudson Speedway is in Hudson...both are active. I believe Star is opening this weekend.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
martran

Theres a dirt track in Canaan opening soon. always a lot of kids there
martran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
dragonfly03246

Default Local Tracks

There are several "local" tracks in New Hampshire you can take your boy to. White Mountain Motorsports in Woodstock on Route 3 - several of the area boys and families race there on Saturday night. True, short track racing at it's best!

http://www.whitemtnmotorsports.com/

There's also Canaan Speedway in Canaan

http://www.canaanspeedways.com/

and as listed above, Star Speedway and many others.

We perfer White Mountain because many of the drivers are friends from Laconia, Belmont, Gilford and other towns in the area.
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
gtxrider

Default Race tracks

I would say LEE and STAR...check to see when the NEMA Midgets or ISMA Super Modifieds are there.

STAR is still STAR, HUDSON is still HUDSON
Hudson Speedway is operated by the owners of Star Speedway

Also check out NHMS schedule there is a lot going on and not just NASCAR. They have their annual Vintage Cars in May. 17-22. The Legends are at NHMS this weekend..4/16

NEMA is at Twin Sate Speeday in Claremont June 11th
and at LEE on Juyl 15th

http://www.nemaracing.com/

ISMA is at LEE on Aug. 19th and Star on Sept 10.

The race at Star is a big one 150 LAPS

http://www.ismasupers.com/

Last edited by gtxrider; 04-15-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: addition
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
6meter

There is a dirt track up in Wentworth on Rte25. They usually run on Sat evenings in the summer.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
jmen24

Default Good Racing for the Kids

AW,

I have been to many different races and styles of races in my lifetime. Growing up 2 miles (as the crow flies) from Bryer Motorsports Park and then the current speedway NHMS. I been to the motorcycle races (professional and local club) SCCA sanctioned events, karts, Nascar (in the stands as well as the boxes), Indy, manufacturer specific club events. Off location, Motocross events, Hare scrambles, ATV and snowmobile racing and Formula 1.

But the one type of race that I use to go to with my father when I was about 6 or so that I can still tell you what happened with great detail as it was and is still the most fun I have ever had watching a race, is the super low budget racing at any short track. The cars are terrible looking and the drivers are not professional at all, but a Friday night "Run what you Brung" race can't be beat. The first race I ever saw was this style at Lee Speedway.

This is not the tight and technical races of the regional or national touring series, but the local folks that are out there, are running just for the bragging rights. Most folks that are into racing, brush this off as knuckle heads beating each other up in a demo derby race. But as a kid, it is the most excitement you will find.

But it sure beats watching cars go around and around and around. Unless your a fan of the sport, you don't see the small things that are happening. A kid certainly isn't going to see those small things. My kids fall asleep at the Nascar events, but can't even sit down at these small track beat and bang events.

That's my thought for getting young kids into racing, as that was my first experience and it spurred a great love for the sport of racing anything with an engine.

Depending on the age of your kids you could bring them down to Sugar Hill Speedway, Rt 106 RacePark or F1 Boston and take on racing a kart that makes most karting locations feel like pushing a shopping cart. The rigs at F1 Boston will break loose if you come into the throttle to fast and top out at 50 or so. Not for the little little one though, that is why I mentioned age. Adults, if you think you know how to handle a car at speed, go jump into a fire suit, full face helmet and put on your neck brace and see what you really know about fast. They all rent everything you need. F1 Boston rented us the entire track for a 4 heat qualifier and a 30 lap main event for a group of 10 (walk ons are much cheaper than that). Worked out to be $100 per person, for our company outing. Check it out, SOOOO much fun.

Lights, flags, the smell of rubber and gas. Nothing beats it.

Last edited by jmen24; 04-15-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added a little more.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-22-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
AllAbourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
NHMS also has the SCCA events. These cars race the clock on a preset course and aren't too loud and no sardine type crush of spectators. All in all a great event.
As a participant and spectator i highly recommend this!
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Winnisquamguy

All the above are great places to see a race! The Summer Nationals down in Worcester MA is always a great show. The only bad part it is July 4 weekend. If you have time check it out.

http://www.summernationals.com/index2.html
Old 04-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Default what Jmen24 said

...except my experiences were and are st the Hudson Speedway. Took my son there years ago....now he takes his 4 yr old son there almost every week. I attend often with them when I'm not at the lake. I have way more fun watching my grandson's reactions while he watches the races...he's really in to it. We also watch NASCAR races together too...though he enjoys them too, he gets relatively bored compared to watching the races at hudson.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #22
Two dobys

Beechridge in Scarborough Maine would also be a good track to bring him to, close to Cabela's also. Thursday night thunder is great for the kids and theyb also have some demolition races also
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
winniboy

Default race

Come on over to Canaan Fair Speedway. Friday is dirt which is fun..but the real action comes on Saturday nights. http://www.canaanspeedways.com/home.html
Tons of great action going on. Come into the pits and visit the 36 late model car..orange and black in color and we can show you around what it takes to make a successful night of racing from the pit crew side of it.
winniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
Waterbaby

These are all great ideas - some tracks I didn't even know about or had forgotten about!

One caution, however, about Lee USA for anyone contemplating going - you have to go over a bridge to get to the bleachers. Hard to describe, but when you get there you go through the concession area (where all of the bathrooms also are), then have to climb about 15 steps to cross this wooden footbridge, and down the 15 steps on the other side. Doesn't sound like much but believe me, after the third trip over................. well................
Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #25
Belmont Resident

Default nhis

I believe there is some sort of race going on EVERY weekend from now till fall.
Lots of private organizations use the track. Many are motorcycle races but many are racing cars they drive there, race then drive home.
We see them all the time.
I get a kick out of the minni bloopers(coopers) all dolled up. Theres more torque in my lug nuts but they go fast.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #26
Argie's Wife

Thanks all for the info...

I like the looks of the Canaan track - that's more what I had in mind for the little guy. I'm still checking out some of these - looks like most tracks opened up this week or will be opening up next week....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Default Just a warning on Lee

When going to Lee raceway, make sure you don't take a wrong turn into the Cedar Waters nudist facility! That's a very different kind of racing.
WakeboardMom (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #28
angela4design

Default memories

"Run what you Brung"... wow, I remember my Dad running his beastly V8 Chrysler wagon on that! That's great...
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
GsChinadoll

Default Hudson Speedway

My husband and I used to bring our kids, and stragglers, to Hudson when they were young and just like jmen they still remember the fun to this day. One time I took them and they begged me to enter the spectators race.... if I thought I had a ride home if I crashed, I might have gone for it! The kids will love it!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
trfour

Thumbs up 100-Year-Old Great-Granny...

Guns It Around NHMS.

WMUR News; http://www.wmur.com/news/27675542/detail.html

Clips and Video. http://www.nhms.com/

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 04-26-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add NHMS Speedway News
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (04-27-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #31
gtxrider

Default Nhms

In the middle of May NHMS (formerly NHIS) has vintage. You can walk around the infield and look at the cars close up. Earlier in the week the open wheel cars are there (midgets, champ cars, sprint cars and old Indy cars) Ah the sound of an OFFY and the smell or methanol. I always remember the advice I got from the owner of the midget I used crew for. "Never turn your back on a race car". That was hard to do in the infield of the little 1/4 mile tracks like Islip.

I just remember taking my nephew to a Indy car race when he was little and he got bored. Years later we went to Dayton and he was not bored at all...He goes to all kinds of races now..Supers, Midgets, Sprint Cup, TQs, Champ cars, Modifieds.....He even has his own GO KART..

Start them young!!!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
tinkham masonry

there are two places near by one being in cannon which is a paved track that takes place on sat. during the summer months. the other is in rumney nh that is on fridays nights i beleive. i take my son to this one often,. its a small dirt track that is more family run/ only about fifty to hundred people attent and is cheap. if i remember correctly about ten dollers a person and under 8 i think is free. check out the site i think the place is called rattlesnake speed way good luck
tinkham masonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #33
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkham masonry View Post
there are two places near by one being in cannon which is a paved track that takes place on sat. during the summer months. the other is in rumney nh that is on fridays nights i beleive. i take my son to this one often,. its a small dirt track that is more family run/ only about fifty to hundred people attent and is cheap. if i remember correctly about ten dollers a person and under 8 i think is free. check out the site i think the place is called rattlesnake speed way good luck
A couple corrections/clarifications on this post.
Caanan has 2 tracks in one place. They run a DIRT track on Friday nights, and a Pavement track on Saturday nights, the track in Rumney may or may not run this year. It was Rattlesnake 2 years ago, it stunk manager was a fool, last year it was Big Daddys Speedway, better run and lots of facility upgrades, but his lease wasn't renewed by the greedy bums that own the place.
Grandpa Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grandpa Redneck For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-27-2011), Winnisquamguy (04-28-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
6meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
A couple corrections/clarifications on this post.
the track in Rumney may or may not run this year. It was Rattlesnake 2 years ago, it stunk manager was a fool, last year it was Big Daddys Speedway, better run and lots of facility upgrades, but his lease wasn't renewed by the greedy bums that own the place.
Is that the one on Rte 25 just after the lumber mill/ Rte 118 on the left?
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #35
Jmo77011

Default Riverside

There is Riverside Speedway in Groveton. It's a bit of a ride, but the track is very family friendly and the area is beautiful! It's a great place to see some races. I know they race every weekend in the summer, but I am not sure when they start up.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #36
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6meter View Post
Is that the one on Rte 25 just after the lumber mill/ Rte 118 on the left?
Yes that is the one.
Grandpa Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #37
trfour

Thumbs up Hybrid Racecars Compete At NHMS

LOUDON, N.H. -- More than 20 teams from colleges in the United States, Canada and Sweden are at New Hampshire Motor Speedway this week as part of the annual Formula Hybrid International Competition.
The teams spend the entire school year building a racecar that runs partly on fossil fuels, such as gas or diesel, but also on an electric motor.
The students design, build and even get sponsors for their vehicles.

Watch video,
Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/27759330/de...#ixzz1LKAfAvHs

Terry

I started out working on a 1934, owned a 1941, and many others. 1950, 1956, 1958, 1967, 1971, 1973, 1977, just to mention a few.
They were all favorites of mine, however here's a new one that may bring back some flavorful memories to Y'All.

Affection is required. And also, never forget the the wonderful music that thundered through our very soal's, of the Time's as well.

789 Chevy...
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-24-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Add'A, some more antiques... :)