Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
dykg

Default Lot configuration

Hi fellow members
I have a open lot in the area and trying best to plan to develop it in the future. I want to optimize the lot and looking to obtain advice/recommendations on how the lot should be configured I.e. placement of structures cottage landscape, etc. is it best just to go to a builder or architect to do this exercise I feel I need to have this plan defined prior to securing a builder. I don’t want to make any mistakes on this and have any regrets (should have done this moments).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
David

Last edited by dykg; 08-23-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Small change
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

You could do a few things prior to talking to a builder.

Obtain a plan of the lot. If part of a subdivision get a copy from your town that shows all setbacks including wetlands. Review the current zoning to make sure that the setbacks are correct. Also talk to the town building inspector about your general plan. He/she may have suggestions on local builders and septic plan designers. At this a point you should be able to draw a building location envelope. Cut out a to-scale house/garage envelope and move it around the plan to begin to see what might be done.

The septic design plan and possible well locations are what nail down the possible house locations. With a general idea of what you want it may be time to talk to a builder and septic plan designer.

Good luck.

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-26-2020), dykg (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
winni83

Slick is correct. The only thing I would add, based on our experience building in 2012, is to hire a surveyor to produce a plan showing the building envelope and the possible locations of the well and septic. Ideally the envelope should comply with all municipal and state requirements including applicable set backs and distances without the need for any waivers, special exceptions or variances.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
dykg (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Kerk

Have the Septic Plan designed and located before the building plans. When I did mine Many years ago I wound up purchasing the next lot and combining them to get the State approved Septic in place before Starting on Building1 Best advice I Had and been there over 30 years + Great times!! kx
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerk For This Useful Post:
dykg (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
dykg

We will have town water and sewer so that should provide flexibility. I will need to understand the setbacks to avoid having to request any variances and review the survey.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykg View Post
We will have town water and sewer so that should provide flexibility. I will need to understand the setbacks to avoid having to request any variances and review the survey.
So you don't need a septic plan which would have required test pits which, among other things, would have identified possible ledge. So prior to finalizing a house design and location, it would be a good idea to have a small excavator dig a few pits in the proposed foundation location. You don't want to be dealing with ledge.

Prior to signing up with a builder suggest talking to an attorney with related experience. Have him/her review the proposed contract especially progress inspection payment milestones and who will perform the progress inspections. Unless you have building experience, look for another option other than yourself.

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
dykg

Great advice Alan. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Much appreciated!😀
Old 08-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
camp guy

Default Lot configuration

Great advice from slickcraft. It is an arduous process with several moving parts and it is really important to do things in the correct order.

Good luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I just wanted to say congrats, good luck, and hope you can enjoy the process—it sounds like a ton of cogs to connect, but it must be very exciting to have this opportunity. Godspeed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
WinnisquamZ

I also purchased the lot that many of you offered up advice before signing. However, building prices in the lakes region are extremely high. Can’t say for sure, but must believe it is cheaper to build in Mass then here. Spoke to one recommended builder and they are two years out and build nothing under 3k square feet at this time. We are in no rush, hoping prices and demand drop in a few years and I can move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #11
winterh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
I also purchased the lot that many of you offered up advice before signing. However, building prices in the lakes region are extremely high. Can’t say for sure, but must believe it is cheaper to build in Mass then here. Spoke to one recommended builder and they are two years out and build nothing under 3k square feet at this time. We are in no rush, hoping prices and demand drop in a few years and I can move forward.

I have a friend who is thinking of building. They asked me for rough idea what it will cost. I told them things are so crazy right now I would not be comfortable even guessing. Can you give me rough idea what the builders are telling you a sq ft? I have to think that even simple houses are over 200 sq ft right now.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I have a friend who is thinking of building. They asked me for rough idea what it will cost. I told them things are so crazy right now I would not be comfortable even guessing. Can you give me rough idea what the builders are telling you a sq ft? I have to think that even simple houses are over 200 sq ft right now.
Just under $300 for a standard build. Timber frame, which we are looking to do is between 300 and 400. Nuts! Will it come down, no one knows for sure.

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
winterh (08-25-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #13
TheTimeTraveler

Tonight's local news on WMUR had a story about a shortage of lumber right now likely because of Covid-19. This means higher prices.

Lumber production was reduced in April, and now there is a surge in demand due to remodeling and folks moving out of cities.

Alternatives to wood such as metal studs for framing and plastic boards (Trex) could be substitutes during the wood shortage and may be worth looking into. Obviously the Trex would be for decking.

Last edited by TheTimeTraveler; 08-28-2020 at 06:29 AM.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Trex shortage too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Tonight's local news on WMUR had a story about a shortage of lumber right now likely because of Covid-19. This means higher prices.

Lumber production was reduced in April, and now there is a surge in demand due to remodeling and folks moving out of cities.

Alternatives to wood such as metal studs for framing and plastic boards (Trex) could be substitutes during the wood shortage and may be worth looking into. Obviously the Trex would be for decking.
We started re-decking our permanent docks this spring. The contractor/supplier ran out of Trex in July. Just got word that supply is back. I don't know where we were in line. Presumably, all materials were ordered in May when I gave a deposit. Wood products, PT stringers, Oak posts all seemed OK and have been on site, or installed as far as they could go. Plan to be done next week.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

It's not just lumber. I've been looking for pavers and all the ones that I like are out of stock.
I think this is going to be a trend for the next few years at least, esp in the Lakes region.
With all these properties being purchased comes renovation projects. I see contractors being busy for the next 4-5 years with prices going through the roof.
A lot of projects are stalling because of lack of materials.
With the workforce moving to remote work you will see more young families moving into the Lakes region.
How long this trend lasts is anyone's guess.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It's not just around here, it is all around the country. We have friends in the Chicago area and everybody wants decks or wants to repair their deck and he can't get materials. Materials are very hard to get if you can get them at all and the price is crazy. I know of one facility that usually has 400 employees and now they are back to 250 but that just isn't enough.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote