Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
CentreHarborEric

Default Opinions on Winnisquam & Opechee

Hi all:

I know this will be an odd question for the "Winnipesaukee Forum", but there always seems to be someone in the know on here. Can anyone give me the scoop on Lakes Winnisquam and Opechee?

Never been on either, but now we have friends looking at property on both lakes and we might be interested too.

We like a smaller lake if it is more peaceful and quiet, but I know sometimes a few boats can make these small spaces crowded as opposed to a big lake like Winnipesaukee.

So I guess my questions, in no particular order, would be:
1. how busy are these lakes, weekday/weekend?
2. how about water quality-I think they both have milfoil, but how bad is it and are there some places worse than others?
3. I think there's a marina on Winnisquam but not Opechee, right?
4. Home prices probably aren't what they would be for Winnipesaukee, but do they still hold up well for waterfront property?
5. Any good developments or neighborhoods on these lakes? I like the idea of being near Laconia Country Club off Elm Street and the Waldron Bay area on Winnisquam seems interesting.
6. I remember several years ago seeing the slalom course out on Opechee. Still there and what's the story with it? Private, club-administered, public?
I think that's it, thanks for looking and chiming in if you have some knowledge of these two spots.
CentreHarborEric
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
feb

Default Can't say enough good things about Winnisquam

I grew up in the Laconia area and have owned on Winnisquam for 10 years now.

1. how busy are these lakes, weekday/weekend?

In the past few years the weekdays have been a ghost town butthe weekends are still pretty busy. The worse times are peak Saturday and Sunday, I'd say about 11a-3p, other than that you can always find a place to ski or tube. Sunday at 4pm it goes dead again, probably the best time to be on the lake in my opinion. The new state boat ramp is finally open so I expect to see some more traffic this year. If you don't like the traffic though, just swim around you place from 11-3 and then it will be dead again.

2. how about water quality-I think they both have milfoil, but how bad is it and are there some places worse than others?

I'd say it's not really "bad" in any places that you would want to swim. It's only prevalent at the north end by the loon sanctuary and even there it's been cleaned up quite well. The clarity of the water is fantastic.

3. I think there's a marina on Winnisquam but not Opechee, right? There are actually 2 or 3 on Winnisquam but Winnisquam Marine is the most popular

4. Home prices probably aren't what they would be for Winnipesaukee, but do they still hold up well for waterfront property?

I haven't lost money yet Like they say, they aren't making any more waterfront these days.

5. Any good developments or neighborhoods on these lakes? I like the idea of being near Laconia Country Club off Elm Street and the Waldron Bay area on Winnisquam seems interesting.

I used to camp in the woods that is now Waldron Bay. From the lake looking in it seems like a nice place, the beach is huge and I have never seen a huge crowd there. Can't speak to the houses. They seem to have plenty of docks.

6. I remember several years ago seeing the slalom course out on Opechee. Still there and what's the story with it? Private, club-administered, public?
I think that's it, thanks for looking and chiming in if you have some knowledge of these two spots.

Not sure, but remember hearing about it.

In my opinion, Opechee is too small, and I've always been under the impression that there are alot of eels there. Could be a complete wives tale but that stuck in my head,

Winnisquam is a super lake, nice and clean, rowdy when it needs to be and serene when it needs to be. The one thing it doesn't have - several nive restaurants or "towns" to visit by boat. I wish it did. It is also a bit narrow in places so the 150' rule is constantly being broken. As with anyplaces, you have some people that care and others that don't

Feel fre to fire away with any other questions, I love the place and can't say enough about it.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Wink Winnisquam

I agree with 'Feb'.

Winnisquam is a great place for waterskiing and boarding. It is a lot calmer and not as busy as Winnipesaukee. I trailer my boat. I would usually launch in Winnisquam on weekends and launch in Winnipesakee during the week.
I think the fishing is better in Winnisquam. I get plenty of fish no matter where I go on Winnisquam.
With the opening of a public dock, I expected to see a change. Let's see how that works out.

As for Opechee, it is not that big. An hour on the lake and I'm done. No place to go. Just private homes. If there was public docks at Lakeport that will be a different story.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Wonderful Winnisquam

We got into boating by renting on Winnisquam and absolutely loved every minute of it. We only ended up on the big lake because there was no place for us to keep a boat. Towing back and fourth was just not a good option. The whole reason we bought a boat in the first place was because we rented a house for a week on Lake Winnisquam. I thought it would be fun to have a boat while we were there. Looked at a few used boats at Winnisquam Marine, who are pretty terrific, and ended up buying new. Things have a way of snowballing with me.

We enjoy being able to shop and dine etc. using the boat as transportation. That is something that is missing on Winnisquam, but not necessarily a bad thing.

Good luck! Let us know where you end up.
RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
wildwoodfam

Red face Opechee Lake and eels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
Not sure, but remember hearing about it.

In my opinion, Opechee is too small, and I've always been under the impression that there are alot of eels there. Could be a complete wives tale but that stuck in my head.
That's a riot! I grew up summering on Paugus Bay and that was always the story I heard about Opechee, so much so that we were so grossed out by it, we would refuse to go water skiiing at our friends place on that lake!

Years later when my wife and I were house shopping we mentioned smaller lakes, to which my realtor replied "I'll show you any lake you'd like to see, but Opechee has a lot of eels - at least that what the locals say!"
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Sunrise Point

Hi,

I agree with Feb's detailed answer. We have owned on Winnisquam since 2000 and have been at Sunrise Point for 3 years. I love it. We have the Trading Post and the Family Tree Restaurant for food and ice cream via boat; the sandbar for a "hangout" and the bird sanctuary for peace and quiet. It's very family friendly. The volume of boat traffic is pretty low except for July 4 weekend. There is plenty of room for skiiing and tubing. The fishing seems to be great - we watch the fishermen from our front yard and most people seem to have pretty good luck.

I hope that you and your friends find a great spot.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Believe it or not....I've lived on all three.Lived on Franklin st on Opechee for three years and it wasn't even worth keeping a boat.....just too small.Then I bought on Swallow Point in Moultonborough.We loved it there, lots to do but it got so that the performance boats would keep us up at night.I'm not knocking then.....I've owned a couple.
We've been on Winnisquam for 20 years now and we love it.You can find flat water anywhere durring the week for skiing.There are several spots with over a mile of undeveloped shoreline.Water is clean and life is peaceful......wish there were more restaurants available by boat.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
winnisquam

I started going to Lake Winnisquam when I was 6 weeks old, and this coming weekend, that will be 48 years ago. My father, who started over 60 years ago, would always open the cottages on Patriots Day weekend (April 19 ISH), and shut down on Columbus Day. The pictures and 8mm movies that we have from the 50's up through the current period, with technology advancements, are priceless.

Needless to say, the lake water runs through my veins and during the off season, I still have to visit every few weeks, minimum. Current technology allows me to hit this web site and the Winnisquam Marine site every morning while having coffee and breakfast. Then during lunch, and then again during the evening when my wife is telling me about her day, did I say that out loud?

So I concur with all of the positive comments about the lake and at times wish there was a destination for dinner or entertainment. The positive is that there is no such amenity and therefore everything that comes along with it . . .

So, if you are looking for a lake that does not have really big boats and a lot of traffic with huge wakes, then it is a great location.

My father met my mother at the lake in the 50's, after driving up from Massachusetts on Friday night, 3 hour drive back then, he would work all day building his cottage(s) and then take his row boat across the lake at night to the Red Shanty for dinner, yes a resteraunt on the lake, anyone remember it?

My mother was/is a Laconia girl who married the guy from Massachusetts and that is how I started going to the lake, 48 years ago, and I am going this weekend, for some salmon fishing, I probably should tell my wife, but I think she already knows my routine . . .
winnisquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
CentreHarborEric

Default Thanks everyone for the feedback

I knew I had come to the right place for some good honest feedback.
We're still poking away at some listings online, but it does seem that there aremore houses coming to market than even just a few months ago.
Thanks and keep the comments coming!
Eric
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Don't know if you are a fisherman....but Winnisquam is known for monster lake trout
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Shore Driver

As far as dining options, didn't the place across from Jay's Marina open up again? I did hear they are not serving alcohol, so that may limit the appeal, but you can get there by boat if you don't mind the no-wake ride from the sandbar onward.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote