Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
GWC...

Default Someone's 1929 home movie of the Lake...

Stumbled across this 1929 home movie/video of the Lake while browsing the Net. Think it's been mentioned on the Forum, not sure - old timers leaves the memory unreliable.

Starts at what appears to be the LSP to Ames Farm area and then moves to the Weirs, with lots of action, including boat races, float planes, the Steamer Mt Washington, and water skiing.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
wildwoodfam

Thumbs up Couple observations...

1. GREAT film!!

2. Weirs looks as rough back in 1929 as it does on any given day in 2008!

3. Clearly there was no 150 foot rule!

4. Did that plane EVER get into the air???

5. Why wasn't there smoke or steam coming out of the mounts smokestacks?

6. GREAT film!!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

That is awesome, I can't imagine boating in a suit!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default An observation and question

At the 3:50 mark, was that our beloved Webmaster on the roof of Irwin Gardens adjusting the original Weirscam?????

And more seriously, toward the end, there were people standing on boards being towed by boats, bringing back an immediate flashback to my teen years (the end of this month, I will be going to my 45th HS reunion) of waterskiing and riding one of those boards. I was about to ask what those boards were called (knew it wasn't surf boards), and then it just hit me...I think "Aquaplanes", right? and they were not as easy as it looked.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
White Rook
Deceased Member

Smile Seeking The 'Missing Link'

Where is the link to this movie?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Cal

How incredibly cool. Now I'm totally confused why some "older folks" want the lake the way it used to be. Talk about the Wild West. Speed , congestion , wakes , aquaplanes , the only thing missing are jet skis.
I guess that just goes to show you , the more things change , the more they stay the same.

Still an incredible old movie
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rook View Post
Where is the link to this movie?
Click on the arrow in the center of the movie picture.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
Orion

Default Sweet video! Thanks!!

While many of those boats can still be seen today, a lot of the landmarks on the shore and background are certainly long gone. What a treasure.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default Surfboarda

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
And more seriously, toward the end, there were people standing on boards being towed by boats, bringing back an immediate flashback to my teen years (the end of this month, I will be going to my 45th HS reunion) of waterskiing and riding one of those boards. I was about to ask what those boards were called (knew it wasn't surf boards), and then it just hit me...I think "Aquaplanes", right? and they were not as easy as it looked.
We always called them surfboards. I first used an old plywood homemade one when I was about 10.. shortly thereafter we got our first pair of waterskiis. This was a wonderful way to grow up. (Lake Matawanakee, Littleton, MA)

As we grew older we hated going out when it was rough... rough you say... I did not know rough until coming to Winnipesaukee!!!!

Today and tomorrow we should have some serious rough... no waterskiing for me!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I can just barely remember my Mom going on a surfboard! I remember her getting up the same way, up on the knees and then a standing position. I don't know why I remember that but I do. Ours had a slight rise in the front. I remember part of it was red. I wonder if it is still around somewhere? What a nice memory!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
gtxrider

Default That's what we called it

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
At the 3:50 mark, was that our beloved Webmaster on the roof of Irwin Gardens adjusting the original Weirscam?????

I know the board as an Aquaplane. I googled aquaplane and here it is "Britannica online encyclopedia article on aquaplane:Water skis derive from the aquaplane, a wide riding board towed by a motorboat"
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
skprbob

Default those boards

Great find!

Back at Camp Idlewild, there was a vintage ChrisCraft (don't know the exact year) called the "Riot" which was often used for rides for the campers. It was also used every day at morning and afternoon free swims to tow an "aquaplane". That went on right up the the camp's closing in 1975. I believe the "Riot" still exists and is still in the former camp owner's family, but I think the aquaplane is long gone - sad.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
White Rook
Deceased Member

Unhappy Still Can't See The Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Click on the arrow in the center of the movie picture.

That's just it. I don't see the 'movie picture' but I'm familiar with what you describe. I don't see the link or URL where the movie is. For example, is it at www.youtube.com or www.mypicures.com, www.cannotseethelink.com, etc? If someone could provide the actual site, URL, or whatever ..... I'd surely appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
wildwoodfam

Default could be your operating system is not current....

therefore you would not be able to view the movie - which is right in the forum thread.

Maybe time to update your operating system.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #15
Rose

Quote:
That's just it. I don't see the 'movie picture' but I'm familiar with what you describe. I don't see the link or URL where the movie is. For example, is it at www.youtube.com or www.mypicures.com, www.cannotseethelink.com, etc? If someone could provide the actual site, URL, or whatever ..... I'd surely appreciate it! Thanks.
Does this work for you?

http://revver.com/video/524381/1929-...new-hampshire/
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
White Rook
Deceased Member

Smile A Big Thanks To Rose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Thanks for my request to the actual link Rose! Even though I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP3 and FireFox 3.0.1, I couldn't see the link in the message. I was able to see the movie once I clicked on the link. Thanks again Rose!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Tank151

Awesome film! Hope the boat races come back to Winnipesaukee soon.
Tank/Boston
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
Rose

Quote:
Thanks for my request to the actual link Rose! Even though I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP3 and FireFox 3.0.1, I couldn't see the link in the message. I was able to see the movie once I clicked on the link. Thanks again Rose!
You're welcome!!

I've got XP Pro but still at SP2. I also use Firefox 3.0.1, so maybe its SP3 causing the problem.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #19
Rattlesnake Guy

I think Gal has the rest of the DVD. Have seen it for sale on Ebay a few times. It is very interesting. I think it was shown at one of the forums. I think the great location that Steve A did for us.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
riverat

I have a copy that was won at a Forum Fest a couple years ago at LSP. I watch it with friends and family once in awhile it is so refreshing.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #21
dpg

1929? Those boats were really moving for 1929 weren't they? Makes me wonder did they get the equivelant speed from cars that they did from boats back then? FLL care to answer?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #22
fatlazyless

There's an all-wood, 20-something foot boat out on the lake, pretty often, which supposedly belonged to Henry Ford. Supposedly, he commuted from Dearborn to Detroit on the Rouge River with it in the 1930's. It is green and stained wood with a pointed bow and stern. Supposedly, it has a 12 cyclinder straight engine.

Considering it belonged to Henry Ford, it must have been quite the boat for its time.

Could be it belonged to Henry Ford's son.... which would make it a Fordson.....?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Coolbreeze

At one point in the film, you can see the opposite side of the lake is cleared of all the trees.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default CarGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I think Gal has the rest of the DVD. Have seen it for sale on Ebay a few times. It is very interesting. I think it was shown at one of the forums. I think the great location that Steve A did for us.
CarGuy did convert alot of old 8mm film from his early days at LSP. It was shown at LSP during the FF there. Not the same film, but it was from the mid 40's.

I have a copy, I'll try to remember to bring it to the FF at the Loon Center.

I've seen this particular video for sale on ebay as someone else mentioned.

SteveA
Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
CarGuy did convert alot of old 8mm film from his early days at LSP. It was shown at LSP during the FF there. Not the same film, but it was from the mid 40's.

SteveA
SteveA

I think you are partly right, Car Guy showed some LSP video as well as the home video partly shown above. We really enjoy the DVD we have and remember it at that FF. I was wrong thinking that RG had provided the disk that day. BTW, that FF is still my favorite when you consider how hard it rained that day and we stood nice and dry in a great piece of lakes history.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #26
ApS

Red face Need More Paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
"...I've seen this particular video for sale on ebay as someone else mentioned..."
The site listed by Rose has a price of $14.95 on it. It's listed as taken from a 16mm film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I can just barely remember my Mom going on a surfboard! I remember her getting up the same way, up on the knees and then a standing position. I don't know why I remember that but I do. Ours had a slight rise in the front. I remember part of it was red. I wonder if it is still around somewhere? What a nice memory!
We watched aquaplanes in use, but it sure didn't seem very challenging.

A bridle kept it straight behind the boat, the rider hung onto a rope made like a rein, and you leaned left or right to move back and forth across the wake.

Skiing was much more creative, and slalom-skiing meant you had "arrived".

Last week, a 10' surfboard was being paddled in a standing position—with a very long paddle—a few houses away. When it's not being paddled, it's being towed behind a speedboat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
"...Did that plane EVER get into the air???..."
According to my Dad, that was a 1929 Travel Air SA6000.

It's engine was a nine-cylinder 450-HP Pratt & Whitney "Wasp". Odd-numbered cylinders are the norm in radial engines. For more power, a second and third set were stacked onto one crankshaft (usually in stacks of nine cylinders to get over 3300-HP).

The "Wasp" engine provided a cruising speed of 120-MPH and a top speed of 140-MPH. It landed at 65-MPH: take-off speed was dependent on wind and waves.

It had six wicker seats in addition to the pilot's. No seatbelts were required until 1928, and that was only in open-cockpit aircraft.

My Dad was treated to a ride on the model SA6000 floatplane on Winnipesaukee by his mother, who didn't know he'd already flown on a 1927 Travel Air 6000—a year before they were certified for flight! The pilot was Lt. Robert S. Fogg, who stored his Travel Air 6000 in my grandfather's garage in Massachusetts.

The wings were easily removed for storage, and for the floatplane models (the SA designation), wings were often painted yellow for visibility if downed by misadventure. (Orange was the norm on Travel Air 6000 wings.) After the market crash of 1929, Curtis-Wright bought Travel Air out.

Lt. Fogg was a WWI aviator who, after that war, was assigned by the fledgling Federal Aviation Authority to locate the best operating sites for floatplane operations in the US. He flew the mail routes around Lake Winnipesaukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
"...1929? Those boats were really moving for 1929 weren't they...?"
They were—even I was impressed!

My Dad made mention of the "Century", which was a small inboard runabout hereabouts with Model T engines of 151 cubic inches.

The Century was direct-drive, which meant it had no clutch: a push on the start button meant that the boat was already moving-out! With the innovation of the "Rajah" spark plug, they were made to go even faster.

Another popular speed boat was the Aero-Marine Ltd.: one operated out of Lake Winnipesaukee's Camp Wyanoke.

(I'd have put more of my Dad's excellently-detailed Winnipesaukee recollections here, but I ran out of breakfast napkin to write on!)

Travel Air model SA6000 (on floats) and model 6000 photos follow:
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #27
Orion

Default Excellent info!

Wow! Great info. Thanks for taking the time to transcribe and post. Nothing like getting it from someone who's been there!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #28
islandAl

Default tougher than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
We used a board only 4 feet long (most are 6 feet) and it was not easy to stay on while taking a turn and sliding outside the wake.
You do not have the control of skis, no rudder, no bindings.
When crossing the wake, the outer edge liked to drop down and if it did and caught the water, the board flipped.
Some the spills were from the driver turning and causing the trailing board to slide somewhat sideways into oncoming waves, goodbye.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Have you ever tried it?Skiing was much easier than trying to stand on a piece of plywood without a keel.I grew up enjoying any kind of water sport there was and even created of few of my own.The hardest falls were taken from those aquaplanes from my experience.Experience being the key word.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
GWC...

It took awhile to locate a link to the member who claims the video...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=10189

Thought he made mention in the LSP thread; but found it in PhotoPost. There are several other pics of the two boats in the beginning of the video.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=10191

So, thanks goes to carguy, for the enjoyable video...
Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #31
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Previous Thread from 2004

Here is the link to the previous thread on the Home Movies Of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Stills from the movie are in post #27.

Seeing the old Mt. Washington coming into port is absolutely fantastic. Still gives me goose bumps.

Wish we could find more of these old home movies. There has got to be many more out there.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #32
livefreeordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
Great find!

Back at Camp Idlewild, there was a vintage ChrisCraft (don't know the exact year) called the "Riot" which was often used for rides for the campers. It was also used every day at morning and afternoon free swims to tow an "aquaplane". That went on right up the the camp's closing in 1975. I believe the "Riot" still exists and is still in the former camp owner's family, but I think the aquaplane is long gone - sad.
Bill Marriott has Riot in his boat house. I was giving a tour of the lake to a family friend who grew up on the lake. When I was showing him the new houses the Marriott's had build. He started to tell a story how he went to camp with a Marriott and they had a wooden boat called Riot. That they skied behind. Before he could finish the story I said hey look that wooden Boat there boathouse has the name Riot on the back. Sure enough it was the same boat...
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #33
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Bill Marriott has Riot in his boat house. I was giving a tour of the lake to a family friend who grew up on the lake. When I was showing him the new houses the Marriott's had build. ...
Where exactly is/are the Marriott's house(s)
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #34
TomC

Default at the entrance to Winter Harbor.

i believe. On the northern side.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

If you were to enter Winter Harbor, the Marriots are on the left. To clarify, they START on the left out in the broads, (opposite Rattlesnake Island). Most of those houses on that shoreline are their's starting with the yellow one on the point. They trail iside of Winter Harbor.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #36
Winni4Life11

That video is pretty interesting!
Winni4Life11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #37
Senter Cove Guy

Default And Soon To Be Also On The Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If you were to enter Winter Harbor, the Marriots are on the left. To clarify, they START on the left out in the broads, (opposite Rattlesnake Island). Most of those houses on that shoreline are their's starting with the yellow one on the point. They trail iside of Winter Harbor.
if what is stated at the end of this thread is true.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #38
ApS

Red face Not sure if it's a Chris-Craft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
Great find!

There's an older boat with the name Riot docked in a boathouse at Thomas Point—also referred to as the area of the Marriott Compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
if what is stated at the end of this thread is true.
Right you are, when entering Winter Harbor...

Marriotts to the left of us—Marriotts to the right of us!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote