Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
looniac

Default McCain's speech last night

Did anyone hear his reference to "Matthew Stanley of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire"?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
John A. Birdsall

Default mcCain's speech

We sure did and my wife applauded. I think we have an excellent ticket with McCain/Palin, I am changing my voting from independant back to republican.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by looniac View Post
Did anyone hear his reference to "Matthew Stanley of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire"?
Not me.

I missed it. Is was sort of falling to sleep during the speach. Nice to hear that a local was mentioned and I am sorry I missed it.

I think John's monotone style got the best of me!

R2B
Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
kthy66

Oh boy,,, I think the only forum that could get more heated than the speed limit is Politics! Lets not go there! LOL
Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
phoenix

actually he mentioned that he was wearing the soldiers bracklet which i think the mom gave the senator when he was campaigning this past year
Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
sky_nh

Talking Free speech sort of.

Let's see. . .we can only write about speed limits if we are against them. . .We can only write about restaurants if we adore them. . .and we can only write about politics if we are for McCain/Palin.

Anything on this forum really open for discussion without the mob of local boosters cackling and shooing out the opposition?

The weather, maybe?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthy66 View Post
Lets not go there! LOL
I agree that McCain vs Obama talk is not appropriate for this forum. However, the mention of "Matthew Stanley of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire" is relevant and kind of interesting. Does anyone know why he was singled out?

update: I missed the comment about the bracelet. That seems to explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky nh
. .we can only write about speed limits if we are against them. . .We can only write about restaurants if we adore them. .
Neither of these comments is true.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
phoenix

Don see my post. he was killed in the war and Senator McCain has been wearing his bracelet which i think was given to McCain by the Mom
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
looniac

Default Matthew Stanley

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...0308/1012/NEWS
Old 09-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
ITD

A true local hero who paid the ultimate price. I was so pleased to hear someone like this remembered with such dignity and respect. To all you out there who have lost loved ones, have or had loved ones deployed, or were yourself deployed in harms way, a sincere thank you, your sacrifice is truly appreciated.

Sky nh, so unnecessary and untrue, you just have to read any of the closed forums to know that you are wrong.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
chocophile

Default Wright Museum Last Summer

I attended a McCain Town Hall forum last summer at the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro, and during the Q&A a mother came forward to give McCain a bracelet that was her son's -- perhaps this was the reference in his speech. It was a moving moment, and McCain handled it very well. The setting -- in a military museum -- made the moment even more special. The McCain campaign was at low ebb -- he was out of money and the conventional wisdom was that he was finished; the war in Iraq was going badly. He arrived in a plain blue van with very little staff. Nonetheless, the crowd at the Wright Museum was Standing-Room-Only and he was enthusiastically received. I suspect McCain has received other similar gifts, but perhaps it was the setting and timing of the gift that made him choose to wear that bracelet and mention it during his speech.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
ApS

With a promise made of a free dinner by my folks, I attended the same forum as chocophile. (McCain was in 4th place in my choice of "R" candidates but I was introduced to McCain at the forum by my Dad.)

As a Field Technical Representative for Douglas Aircraft Company, my Dad gabs with McCain at every opportunity about McCain's downed aircraft—a Douglas A4D-2N aircraft—including at the forum. My Dad's co-pilot in WWII, Lou Conter, a USS Arizona survivor, was McCain's A4D-2N instructor in survival training.

In Wolfeboro, McCain cracked an Irish joke at his own expense and handled a few sticky questions with aplomb. He was most reverent with Matt Stanley's bracelet and request, and I was especially impressed that it made national viewership. FWIW, McCain didn't say he wore the bracelet every day.

I'll probably vote for McWhatsHisName and Sarah Palin.

Last edited by ApS; 09-07-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Add links, names, clarify
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
Airwaves

WAY OUT OF LINE!

While I applaud the mention of a local hero by a presidential candidate I was under the impression POLITICS IS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM!

If that's the case I can start posting links to Factcheck dot org, an indepenent site that that conducts analysis of exactly what is said during speeches and campaign ads by both parties and compares them with reality.

Don, you think you had a headache with SPEEDLIMITS? HELL you ain't seen nothin' yet if you don't kill this right now!

This thread needs to disappear NOW!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
WAY OUT OF LINE!

While I applaud the mention of a local hero by a presidential candidate I was under the impression POLITICS IS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM!

If that's the case I can start posting links to Factcheck dot org, an indepenent site that that conducts analysis of exactly what is said during speeches and campaign ads and compares them with reality. This thread needs to disappear NOW!
Please see Don's post (i.e. Webmaster) #7 -- He chose to allow the thread; however, I'm sure he'll be monitoring it very closely. Also, I'm sure if he feels it gets out of control, with political bickering back and forth, it will summarily disappear.

For my part, I am awed by the fact that Sen. McCain is still not just wearing the bracelet given to him by Mrs. Stanley but also had the Stanleys at the RNC as a guest of his and honored them during the convention.

Last but not least, and this is directed to Airwaves: I am actually a bit offended by what I perceive as the arrogance of your post, just as I really am offended by your "personal signature". However, that is a topic for another thread. So, if this thread needs to disappear, then perhaps your signature does, also.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Airwaves

You can be offended all you want by my signature, the fact is that I own more property in any of three towns in NH in which I have property than I do in my "home" state and yet I have no say in how my tax money is spent in NH.

Mitt Romney is one of US! He owns waterfront property on Lake Winnipesaukee!

Were we allowed under the rules of this forum to quote him, promote him or otherwise get involved in his political world? NO!
The only referrence to Mitt that I recall is a discussion about traffic and restrictions on the lake and in Wolfboro if he were elected.

The fact that Senator McCain is wearing Mr. Stanley's bracelet is great and I applaud him for it.

POLITICS HAS NO PLACE ON THIS FORUM!

How many of you urged Don to shut down the Speed limits discussion? MOST of you!

Believe me, Don does not want to get into trying to moderate a discussion of presidential politics and because Senator McCain brought up Mr Stanley's name during the RNC he and his family are now part of the poltiical process!

Note to Don;
As you might be able to tell, I am passionate about politics. To quote Sarah Palin, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick". I don't wear lipstick, I'm not a mom and and I don't play hockey! This is a very nice little forum in which people are for the most part friendly, religion and politics in any way shape or form should be banned. But it is your call!

Last edited by Airwaves; 09-05-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Note to Don
Old 09-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by looniac View Post
Thanks for that link looniac. I didn't see the speach and didn't know about the comment until you posted that. Whichever side of the fence we are on, it is nice to know that a Wolfeboro soldier was mentioned and honored on national TV. This isn't about politics, it is about Cpl. Matthew Stanley of Wolfeboro.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
Airwaves

Default Forum FAQ

Just making sure that I understand so that if this thread isn't closed we are all on the same page when I start to rant.

Bold inside the quote is mine the rest is Don's.

Quote:
Forum FAQ
Remember that you're on the Winnipesaukee Forum & PhotoPost

Only post messages, pictures and comments that are directly related to Lakes Region topics and activities. No sports, religion, politics or chit-chat please

So because John McCain didn't mention the following men killed in Iraq and Afghanistan are they less deserving? Do not let this forum turn into another political BS site.

Honor the fallen and more importantly honor those who have returned with wounds and help them be rehabiliatated.

The NH Honor role NOT mentioned by John McCain at the Republican National Convention! Or anyone on this site until McCain mentioned Matthew Stanley! Source; Manchester Union Leader.

Army National Guard Pfc. Nicholas Cournoyer, 25, of Gilmanton, was killed in May 2006 by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

Army Capt. Douglas DiCenzo, 30, of Plymouth was killed by a roadside bomb in May 2006 in Iraq.
National Guard medic Sgt. David Stelmat, 27, of Littleton, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in March 2008.

Army Spc. Jeremy Regnier, 22, of Littleton, was killed in October 2004 when his armored vehicle drove over a bomb during a patrol in Iraq.

Army Spc. William J. Tracy, 23, of Webster, died Feb. 24, 2003,when the helicopter he was aboard crashed in night training during a sandstorm in the Kuwaiti desert.

Massachusetts National Guard Sgt. Robert Rooney, 43, of Nashua was killed in September 2003 in a forklift accident in Kuwait.

Army Sgt. Randy Rosenberg, 23, of Berlin, was killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq in January 2004.

Army National Guard Spc. Jeremiah Holmes, 27, was driving a truck west of Baghdad when he was killed by a roadside bomb in March, 2004. Holmes spent his childhood in New Hampshire but lived in North Berwick, Maine.

Army Special Forces Master Sgt. Richard Ferguson, 45, was killed in Iraq in April 2004 when his vehicle rolled over.

Army National Guard Spc. Alan Burgess, of Landaff, 24, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in October 2004.

Marine Lance Cpl. Adam Brooks, 20, of Manchester, was killed in November 2004 while patrolling Baghdad after a bomb exploded near his Humvee.

Marine Cpl. Timothy Gibson, 23, of Merrimack, was on a transport helicopter when it crashed in western Iraq in January 2005, killing 30 Marines and one Navy medic.

Army Sgt. Angelo Lozada Jr., 36, of Nashua, died in a mortar and rocket attack in Iraq in April of 2005.

Navy SEAL Dan Healy, 36, of Exeter, was among 16 killed when their helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan in June 2005.

Marine Pfc. Matthew Bertolino, 20, of Hampstead, died in February 2006 when his vehicle overturned on a patrol in Afghanistan.

Army Pvt. George Roehl, 21, of Manchester, died in April 2006 when a roadside bomb exploded near his Bradley Fighting Vehicle and he and his unit were attacked in Iraq.

Marine Lance Cpl. Robert Moscillo, 21, of Salem, died in May 2006 when his Humvee hit a landmine in Iraq.

Army Sgt. Russell Durgin, 23, of Henniker was killed by small arms fire in Afghanistan in June 2006.

Army medic Sgt. Daniel Gionet, 23, of Pelham was killed by an explosion that hit his tank in Iraq in June 2006.

Army Ranger Capt. Jonathan Grassbaugh, 25, of Hampstead, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in April 2007.

Marine Lance Cpl. Ryan McCaughn, 19, of Manchester, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in November 2006.

Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer Nathan Hardy, 29, who grew up in Durham, was killed in Iraq in February 2008.

Army Spc. Toby Olsen, 28, of Manchester, was killed after a bomb went off near a Humvee in Iraq in January 2007.

Spc. Matthew Schneider, 23, of Gorham, died of a heart attack in Iraq in August 2006.

Army Pfc. Justin McDaniel, 19, of Andover, died of non-combat related injuries in Iraq in
December 2007.

Cpl. Nicholas Arvanitis, 22, of Salem, died after being shot in Iraq in October 2006.

Army Spc. William J. Tracy, 23, of Webster, died Feb. 24, 2003,when the helicopter he was aboard crashed in night training during a sandstorm in the Kuwaiti desert.

Massachusetts National Guard Sgt. Robert Rooney, 43, of Nashua was killed in September 2003 in a forklift accident in Kuwait.

Army Sgt. Randy Rosenberg, 23, of Berlin, was killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq in January 2004.

Army National Guard Spc. Jeremiah Holmes, 27, was driving a truck west of Baghdad when he was killed by a roadside bomb in March, 2004. Holmes spent his childhood in New Hampshire but lived in North Berwick, Maine.

Army Special Forces Master Sgt. Richard Ferguson, 45, was killed in Iraq in April 2004 when his vehicle rolled over.

Army Spc. Jeremy Regnier, 22, of Littleton, was killed in October 2004 when his armored vehicle drove over a bomb during a patrol in Iraq.

Army National Guard Spc. Alan Burgess, of Landaff, 24, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in October 2004.

Marine Lance Cpl. Adam Brooks, 20, of Manchester, was killed in November 2004 while patrolling Baghdad after a bomb exploded near his Humvee.

Marine Cpl. Timothy Gibson, 23, of Merrimack, was on a transport helicopter when it crashed in western Iraq in January 2005, killing 30 Marines and one Navy medic.

Army Sgt. Angelo Lozada Jr., 36, of Nashua, died in a mortar and rocket attack in Iraq in April of 2005.

Navy SEAL Dan Healy, 36, of Exeter, was among 16 killed when their helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan in June 2005.

Marine Pfc. Matthew Bertolino, 20, of Hampstead, died in February 2006 when his vehicle overturned on a patrol in Afghanistan.

Army Pvt. George Roehl, 21, of Manchester, died in April 2006 when a roadside bomb exploded near his Bradley Fighting Vehicle and he and his unit were attacked in Iraq.

Marine Lance Cpl. Robert Moscillo, 21, of Salem, died in May 2006 when his Humvee hit a landmine in Iraq.

Army National Guard Pfc. Nicholas Cournoyer, 25, of Gilmanton, was killed in May 2006 by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

Army Capt. Douglas DiCenzo, 30, of Plymouth was killed by a roadside bomb in May 2006 in Iraq.

Army Sgt. Russell Durgin, 23, of Henniker was killed by small arms fire in Afghanistan in June 2006.

Army medic Sgt. Daniel Gionet, 23, of Pelham was killed by an explosion that hit his tank in Iraq in June 2006.

Army Ranger Capt. Jonathan Grassbaugh, 25, of Hampstead, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in April 2007.

Marine Lance Cpl. Ryan McCaughn, 19, of Manchester, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in November 2006.

Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer Nathan Hardy, 29, who grew up in Durham, was killed in Iraq in February 2008.

Army Spc. Toby Olsen, 28, of Manchester, was killed after a bomb went off near a Humvee in Iraq in January 2007.

Spc. Matthew Schneider, 23, of Gorham, died of a heart attack in Iraq in August 2006.

Army Pfc. Justin McDaniel, 19, of Andover, died of non-combat related injuries in Iraq in December 2007.

Cpl. Nicholas Arvanitis, 22, of Salem, died after being shot in Iraq in October 2006.

Army Spc. Justin Rollins, 22, of Newport, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in March 2007.

Army Sgt. Zachary D. Tellier, 31, of Charlotte, N.C., a 1994 Manchester West High graduate, died from wounds received while on ground patrol in Afghanistan in September 2007.

Last edited by Airwaves; 09-05-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Listing the "Less?" deserving for praise?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #18
Ropetow

Wow...Someone's got their dander up!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #19
Audiofn

Airwaves: PLAEASE letl it rest man. All people wanted to say was how cool it was that this guy from the lakes regeon was mentioned. That is all. No one wants to get into the politics of it. Please let it rest man.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #20
Skip

Thumbs up Pertinent and appropriate thread...

There were several additional local news clips last night where Matthew Stanley's parents were interviewed. The very proud parents were treated as honored guests at the event and actually were seated just above the Palin family during the speech.

Thank you Don for allowing responsible discussion of this issue with obvious direct Lake Winnipesaukee ties to take place. As the father of a son serving in the United States Army, I truly appreciate any positive recognition of the hundreds of thousands of men & woman serving our Country, and am extremely interested in learning anything I can about those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our Nation!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #21
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
Airwaves: PLAEASE letl it rest man. All people wanted to say was how cool it was that this guy from the lakes regeon was mentioned. That is all. No one wants to get into the politics of it. Please let it rest man.
I couldn't have said it better myself. When McCain mentioned "Matthew Stanley of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire" that became a local story and not necessarily a matter of political debate. Please lighten up Airwaves and allow me to be the moderator.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
Argie's Wife

When this thread started I took some time to learn about the soldier Cpl. Matthew Stanley.

Too much blood - and local blood, at that - has been spilled. I am thankful to the bottom of my heart for the men and women who serve in the war and protect our country every day. My heart goes out to the parents of these young soldiers. The list of names is jaw-dropping, as that's just New Hampshire.

I'm not saying this to get into a pissing contest with you, Airwaves, and have respect for you, but you're missing the point of this thread...

The point is that the war is hitting home - our wonderful Lakes Region area - in a horrible way. No one can deny the impact it is having here - and that's the point of this forum - it's about here.

I kindly ask you to please take up your issues with the moderation of this board with the moderator. You're doing these soldiers and their grieving families a disservice; please don't. They have already given everything.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #23
Orion

Default Relevance of Cpl. Stanley vs. all others....

The relevance of the mention of the bracelet during the speech was not to put more importance on Cpl. Stanley above all others lost, just that this bracelet is a DAILY reminder to him of the cost of war. That's the point he was trying to make. It was nice to hear it was one of our local men.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
wildwoodfam

Angry Let's call it what it was please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
[FONT="Arial"]For my part, I am awed by the fact that Sen. McCain is still not just wearing the bracelet given to him by Mrs. Stanley but also had the Stanleys at the RNC as a guest of his and honored them during the convention.[FONT]
I saw nothing AWESOME about it really. It was a very good ploy by the McCain campaign to exploit Cpl Stanely's heroism and sacrifice. I found it disheartening for someone with McCains experience with war to use this type of heartwrenchign story as a campaign tactic.

He only wore it for this speech - he doesn't wear it everyday - so please don't think or spread the news that he does. He wore the braclet and invited the parents - and mentioned Cpl Stanely, and yes that was VERY much appreciated by the folks in NH, I am sure - but that's EXACTLY why he did it because you folks in NH are IMPORTANT to McCain - and he wants your vote. It was a good gesture of respect - and I'll say I certainly respect Cpl Stanely for giving his life for my families ability to remain free and safe, but I don't like it when either candidate exploits our veterans and war heroes for their own cause. AND THATS WHAT MCCAIN DID!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #25
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Sorry Wildwood- he does wear it everyday http://herobracelets.org/?p=485, please check your facts before disparaging him. You may not like him, agree with him or have any desire to vote or support him; but he certainly knows the price of war. Like it or not, John McCain was a war hero himself. His father and grandfather served our country honorably as did he.

He has not used his own children's military service as talking points nor has he has pulled strings to keep them out of harm's way http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...008-04-02.html.

Last edited by VitaBene; 09-06-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #26
Irish mist

Common sense would dictate that if McCain, or any person stood in front of 40 million people and said that he was wearing this bracelet.....most likely he is wearing that bracelet, every day like he said. Thanks VitaBean for providing a link to prove it

I'm sorry for the loss this family has suffered. Senator McCain did a decent thing here.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #27
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Great Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
TY, Audiofn, I could definitely not say it any better. Kudos to you, and a huge THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
Waterbaby

Thumbs up To Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. When McCain mentioned "Matthew Stanley of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire" that became a local story and not necessarily a matter of political debate. Please lighten up Airwaves and allow me to be the moderator.
I wish this thread had the "thanks" button like the restaurant thread does -- I'd have thanked you thrice over, lol!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #29
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Thanks to All of You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Common sense would dictate that if McCain, or any person stood in front of 40 million people and said that he was wearing this bracelet.....most likely he is wearing that bracelet, every day like he said. Thanks VitaBean for providing a link to prove it

I'm sorry for the loss this family has suffered. Senator McCain did a decent thing here.

Some very good posts here, this thread makes me feel good. Nothing to do with politics, just the positiveness (if that's even a word, lol) of it regarding Sen McCain wearing the bracelet honoring Soldier Stanley and, IMO, all of the fallen. Of course, there are some who are trying to turn it into a political thread, but............. well, 'nuff said.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #30
Seeker

Very interesting posts. I am concerned about some posters that seem to think that this is a political thread. I didn't see it that way at all until one
(now 2) of us started expressing their political opinions.
As a USAF Vietnam vet (never had to touch down in-country thank God) I applaud and support all the USAF, USA, USN, USMC, USCG troops serving anywhere on the globe.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #31
wildwoodfam

Exclamation stand by my comments....and I too know the cost of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Sorry Wildwood- he does wear it everyday http://herobracelets.org/?p=485, please check your facts before disparaging him. You may not like him, agree with him or have any desire to vote or support him; but he certainly knows the price of war. Like it or not, John McCain was a war hero himself. His father and grandfather served our country honorably as did he.

He has not used his own children's military service as talking points nor has he has pulled strings to keep them out of harm's way http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...008-04-02.html.
Having lost two uncles who served this country honorably in WWII and having watched my father, who also served this conuntry honorably, grow old and up until very recently hold in every secret and every painful memory of his participation in WWII, including Iwo Jima, I too know the pain and truth about war. (Thanks for your assumption otherwise.) Not all Democrats and Liberal minded folks are oblivious to the price of war and service to country!!

I had a longer post - but decided to edit the "political stuff" out.

I'll add this - Obama also wears a Hero Braclet (thats corroborated on the HB website!) Not many would know that without reading the site...thats my point to the "wearing" of these braclets! You wear them to remember and honor the servicemen and women, you don't wear them for any other reason.

Finally - I will suggest that I and Airwaves are not the only political posters on this thread - read each one very closely again - and you'll rethink your accustation Seeker.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #32
ApS

Cool Writing them myself—right now.

Those with a need to express opinions on the costs of war (or the costs of not going to war) can go to the Concord Monitor source and leave a comment there.
Closed Thread