Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
CateP

Default Woodstoves (or Pellet) in Basements

Some of the houses we have been looking at to buy, have woodstoves in the basement. These stoves are being advertised as an "alternative heat source."

However, based on what we've seen, it looks like the only way the heat travels out of the basement is through the basement door. We even saw a house that had cut out panels in the basement door to allow heat to come out.

Is this an odd way to do things? Wouldn't it be better to put in floor vents so the heat can rise out of the basement into the first floor?

Is there such a thing as cutting out little sections of the first floor to install vents?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Some of the houses we have been looking at to buy, have woodstoves in the basement. These stoves are being advertised as an "alternative heat source."

However, based on what we've seen, it looks like the only way the heat travels out of the basement is through the basement door. We even saw a house that had cut out panels in the basement door to allow heat to come out.

Is this an odd way to do things? YES Wouldn't it be better to put in floor vents so the heat can rise out of the basement into the first floor? YES
Is there such a thing as cutting out little sections of the first floor to install vents?YES
I am sure you will see many different thoughts on this subject and what I listed are just mine that have worked well for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
DickR

Actually, the basement is a fine place to put a stove, as the heated air will indeed rise to warm both basement and anything above. Moreover, a woodstove operation can be a bit on the dirty side, given that the wood invariably has dirt on it when stacked, brought inside, and moved into the stove. Cleaning out the ashes periodically also can dirty up the immediate area. The basement floor is better suited to that than your livingroom.

For the heated air to move up through the house, cooler air must be able to return to the basement. That's why leaving the basement door at the top of the stairs open will work better than louvered panels in the door. Warm air rises up the top of the stairwell while cooler air from elsewhere in the house sinks along the floor and down along the stairs.

My son has done much of the heating of his house with a woodstove in the basement, keeping two floors above comfortable, as long as he leaves that door open. For our new house, I installed a small woodstove in the basement, both as backup heating (and primary heat this winter during construction) and because I like a wood fire now and then. The stove is in a finished space in the basement, and the chimney pipe goes straight up through a chase in the corner of a bedroom above, through the attic, and out through the roof. It draws very well.

You might pay attention to routing of the woodstove chimney in any house you are considering. Functionally, having the chimney within the structure until it goes through the roof tends to work better, at least on startup, than one that goes outside close to the stove and then upward. From a fire safety point of view, you might want the inspector or someone from the local fire department to review the chimney installation.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
CateP (04-05-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

We have 25+ years overall experience with a basement wood stove; first in our prior Danville, NH house and now with our West Alton house. Both houses have 3 flue center chimneys that allow for: furnace, basement stove and living room stove.

In the prior Danville house I installed floor grates in three locations expecting convection heat flow to be improved over just keeping the cellar door open. We were disappointed to find that keeping the door open worked better than the floor grates. No floor grates in the current house.

We use the basement stove as a supplement during very cold spells, “two stove nights”. I also use it to take the chill off when using my basement workshop; in winter the basement temp drops to about 58 without the stove. BTY, it can take a day of running the stove to get the basement temp from 58 up to 70, concrete has a lot of thermal mass.

We used to use the basement stove as part of our power outage emergency heating. Now the living room stove has been replaced by a pellet stove and we have a small generator that can run the furnace plus the pellet stove. Of course in an extended outage the basement stove would be fired up.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
you might want the inspector or someone from the local fire department to review the chimney installation.
This is good advice. I bought an old farm house a few years ago and didn't put enough thought into the chimneys. My home inspection was just your "run of the mill" home inspection (fairly worthless) and mentioned nothing of the chimneys. Of course neither of the chimneys were lined (one for a wood stove, another for a furnace) and that didn't help me sleep at night. I had both taken care of and it cost about $4K.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
chris410

we have a wood stove installed in the finished half of the basement in our cape cod style house there are 2 small vents through the floor above the stove but really they only act as a return for cold air, the majority of the heat rises through the centrally located stairwell. we actually took the door off the hinges cause its always open.

We have managed to heat most of the house the entire winter season this year. granted the heat is not even. the basement will be a toastly 83 degrees, the main living level will be around 73 and the upstairs bedrooms will be around 63 (which is perfect for sleeping for me)

we do use our basement as our living room and spend most of the time down there though.

I would put the stove in the room you use the most.

Tons of good wood burning info can be found here:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/
chris410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post

Is this an odd way to do things? Wouldn't it be better to put in floor vents so the heat can rise out of the basement into the first floor?

Is there such a thing as cutting out little sections of the first floor to install vents?
Think where is the stairwell and door to basement. I once put a small fan through the wall at top of stairs, and then at other end of house a floor louvre to act as a return. Air will circulate.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
camp guy

Default Woodstoves (or Pellet) in Basement

Well, CateP, as you can see, for as many people who respond there will be at least that many suggestions, and probably more, but I think the post by DickR is closest to the mark.

The woodstove debate goes on and on, much like the generator debate, and the answer lies somewhere amidst the suggestions by all the posters. However, having been in the fire service for almost 20 years, and, tragically, having seen the results of poorly installed woodstoves, I always stay to the side of safety.

I doubt that the 'woodstove' question will be a deal maker or breaker for the ultimate purchase of your home, so, after you purchase, solicit help from others. Once you have purchased a home you have anchored down one of the important variables in the question of which stove to buy and how to install it.

You are coming into warmer (?) weather, so the rush for extra heat isn't quite so pressing, so TAKE YOUR TIME, go slow, and ask questions of fire inspectors, insurance agents, and stove salesmen (but, remember, they are salesmen).

And, as was already mentioned, wood stoves are messy - not only the wood being brought in, but the process of running a wood stove. Also, one last parting thought, wood stoves are the least efficient heating system dollar for dollar.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
My home inspection was just your "run of the mill" home inspection (fairly worthless) and mentioned nothing of the chimneys.
You need a home inspector with a license to check your chimney. Just like you would need one to check for mold or your septic...I am assuming your inspector didn't have fire on his license.I am not trying to be an a** just wasn't sure if you knew.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
You need a home inspector with a license to check your chimney. Just like you would need one to check for mold or your septic...I am assuming your inspector didn't have fire on his license.I am not trying to be an a** just wasn't sure if you knew.
I did not know that and have no idea if he had fire on his license. I just paid for a Level 1 inspection at a later date.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote