Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Holiday Greeting Card Software Suggestions?

I would like to send some friends greeting cards with photos taken from the Lakes Region. I am looking for a recommendation for free, easy to use software that would print out the cards from my printer (Canon iP4300). The software would import my photo, scale the photo to fit various card sizes, allow text to be added to the front of the card and add a greeting on the inside of the card. Last year I waited to the last second to do this and just got frustrated. I have the paper and envelopes from Staples ready to go. Thanks!
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

I highly recommend Picaboo:

http://www.picaboo.com

It's free, user-friendly, and they have some nice artsy-fartsy templates.

If you're a Mac user, then iPhoto also has some nice templates that go to print well, too.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I highly recommend Picaboo:

http://www.picaboo.com

It's free, user-friendly, and they have some nice artsy-fartsy templates.

If you're a Mac user, then iPhoto also has some nice templates that go to print well, too.
I watched their tutorial about making cards and books. It appears that after you make them up you have to order them through Picaboo.

If that is the case, maybe the program is free but you have to pay to get them printed.

Did I miss something?
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Argie's Wife

You can print them yourself, too.

I ordered mine because I wanted sharp colors and I have an inkjet printer (colors run if they get damp - which is certainly possible this time of year in a mailbox...) I think I paid $0.90/card with a coupon.

MirrorLake - there's many other programs out there. Even Microsoft Word has templates for cards... If you can give a little more info about what you're using for an operating system (Vista? Windows 7? XP? Leopard? Snow Leopard? etc.) and if you have Microsoft Office, I can be more helpful.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
You can print them yourself, too.

I ordered mine because I wanted sharp colors and I have an inkjet printer (colors run if they get damp - which is certainly possible this time of year in a mailbox...) I think I paid $0.90/card with a coupon.
Thanks Argie's Wife!

I like the way the program is setup so I think I will download the program and see how it works.

I have a good program that I use but Picaboo seems to have more "nice artsy-fartsy templates" (as you said).
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Picaboo printing at home

AW- I downloaded the program and created my card very easily but couldn't figure out how to print locally. I have WindowsXP and MS Office. I have used PictureIt in the past and wanted to find something easier to use. Picaboo is great if I could only learn how to print it-maybe I missed something.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

What happens in your account when you hit "Share"?

I've printed from them but it was after I shared a file... I'm thinking you might have to buy copies BEFORE you can print yourself... but I couldn't find anything on the FAQ page that stated that was the case...

In my case, I under-estimated the number of cards I needed to order, so I printed the balance myself. (Considering the amount of ink coverage per page, it was probably cheaper to order them... )
Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Even Microsoft Word has templates for cards.
That's what I use. The '03 version. I made up my own template and update by plunking new images on an annual basis.

Print of 67lb cover stock - 2 cards to an 8.5x11 page. Cut down the middle and fold in half. Voila! Instant card.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Sal

Default from Digital Photo 101 ....

So, here are five easy steps to creating and printing your own Christmas Cards.

1. Pick a Photo

If you are going to make your own card, you want it to reflect you. So take a quick look through your digital photo files for one of your favorite pictures. You don't have to rush to get your family dressed up and take a new family photo or fancy portrait. Maybe pick a nice picture from your family vacation or a day at the beach. Or grab the kids and the dog and get everyone in front of the Christmas tree "as-is."

2. Write a Brief Message

Keep it short, it doesn't have to be a full-page missive. You can write it in Word and then copy and paste it into your card design.

3. Create Your Card

You have some options here. If you have a software program such as ACDSee, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro or Polaroid My Memories Suite you can create a simple layout and add your photo, perhaps a frame or border and some Christmas clipart. Greeting Card Factory Deluxe. is another option, with a myriad of colorful holiday themes to choose from.

4. Printing Your Christmas Card

You already know that regular printer paper is too lightweight and not good enough quality to print a nice looking card. Your best bet is a slightly textured card or matte paper. You can get nice card stock and envelopes at big box office supply stores.

HINT: Depending on how many cards you plan to send, it can be cheaper to get bulk card paper and a box of envelopes rather than those packets that come with only 20 sheets and envelopes. I found the Wausau Paper Card Stock (250 sheets for $14.99) worked great and was much cheaper than the Avery or Hallmark 20-sheet sets that were about $8.99-$9.99 each. You can use any extras to print cards throughout the year for birthdays, etc. I like printing my own cards, and in fact do it regularly for birthday cards, thank-you cards, Mother's Day etc. It's nice to have a supply of card stock on hand and it is much cheaper to print them at home than spend up to $3-4 per card at the store.

5. Add a Personal Note

I don't know about you, but I'm not crazy about receiving cards with just a printed message and no personal touch. Add a brief handwritten message to your card -- even one line. It really does make a difference.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote