Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Clark's Trading Post

I wanted to let you know about the nice time our family had at Clark's Trading Post last Saturday. We tend to never leave the lake, but when my husbands family visits they like to go somewhere at least once. We have bears in our yard frequently, but when they visit the bears never come around. I suggested we go to Clark's so they could at least see some bears.

The bear show at Clark's was really entertaining. They spent a great deal of time educating all us spectator's about the bears. They started training bears in 1939. The bears appeared very healthy. They were feeding them bunches of carrots between shows. They said a bear in the wild lives 3-5 years. They have had bears live decades longer. I know some people think it's inhumane to have bears in shows, but I believe Clark's must be treating them well if they have been in business for over 60 years.

In the past someone on the forum suggested that the Squam Lakes Science Center would be a better place to go. The science center is a great place also. I do remember a time though when a toddler got to close to the bobcats cage at the center and was bitten. The two bobcats were then killed to check for rabies.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
cillovely

Red face

We also went there on our week on the lake last week, the one day trip we took on our vacation.

For me it was going back to a place that was from my childhood and showing it to my son. More so than Storyland or Santa's village. My son is almost 3 so it was a great place for him, not too big and just enough fun stuff. Sadly he wasn't as into the bears as I was, but he did love the train and the wolfman. Got his face painted up as him complete with eye patch and coon hat, topped off with a pop gun we got for him.

When I was a kid the bears were up on poles and you'd put food in cups and the bears would pull it up. But I presume the animal protection people didn't like that too much and now they have that great show. They were feeding the bears ice cream for my show.

And as far as tourist places go, I found it fairly inexpensive. The food wasn't thru the roof, about the same as what you'd pay at McD's.

I recommend the place for a great day trip away from the lake, that is if you can tear yourself away.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Jonas Pilot

I agree. It's a great place and one of the fondest and earliest memories of my life. I must of been of similar age to your son. I remember you could buy marshmallows, pull the line to bring the can down, place a treat or two into the can and the bears would pull them back up. Back then it was just the trading post and 2 or 3 poles that looked like the masts of ships complete with a crow's nest.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Thumbs up Clarks Trading Post

We go to Clarks every year without expecption. It is our families favorite, the kids really love the bears and the "wolfman". The people there are fantastic and the other attractions are very interesting. I was very sad to here that Mr. Clark passed away this past winter.

Enjoy I will be there next week.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Resident 2B

Default Clark's

When I was very young, my parents took us to Clark's as a day trip while we were enjoying a few weeks at the lake. We went to Clark's to see the "eskimo dogs" as my mother was into the AKC and dogs in general. At that time, the Clark's were into sled dog races and the bear show was a side event. In these early days, the bear show was done without a cage. The people would just form a circle and one of the Clark brothers would bring out the bear and do the show. This was 58 years ago and I still make a point to go to Clark's once each year, even if it is by myself. I am a huge fan of all they do and have done.

I doubt you will ever find a place that is anything like Clark's Trading Post today, anywhere on Earth. It is a truly unique experience that is well worth the drive from any place in the Lakes Region.

Take yourselves and your kids/grand-kids and all will have a great and memorable day.

Great thread GBG! We need more threads like this!!!

R2B

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
CrawfordCentury

Default if you go...

...Plan to have lunch at the Sunny Day Diner next door. Try the Reuben.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
chipj29

Been to Clarks a bunch of times, and have never even been close to disappointed. Every single person on the staff is friendly as can be. When my son was younger we were on the train. When the Wolfman banged his stick on the stairs of the train right next to where we were sitting, it scared the crap out of my son, to the point that it made him cry. I thought the Wolfman was going to jump on the train to console him, you could see that he felt terrible as we went by.

Definately a place you don't want to miss!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Skip

Thumbs up So many great memories!

Went to Clark's many times as a kid. Enjoyed taking my children there as well.

Now, after an extensive break, I can't wait until my little peanut (first grand child) is old enough so we can take her there for the first time!

Always had a great time and amazed that each and every time we visited that staff was always at the top of their game.

A must visit for any family travelling through the area!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Now, after an extensive break, I can't wait until my little peanut (first grand child) is old enough so we can take her there for the first time!
What would you consider the minimum age, little tikes-wise, for enjoying Clark's?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
What would you consider the minimum age, little tikes-wise, for enjoying Clark's?
A little one will enjoy the bear show as long as they can sit still and watch them do their tricks.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Bears are pretty cool animals, even more so to see them in the wild. I've had the pleasure on several occasions to see them while out hunting, one time a Mom with a couple of cubs. Interesting to watch them when they have no idea you're there.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Shore Driver

Just went there this week for the first time. Very impressed, the place was clean and shows were very entertaining. Friendly young staff. You get a decent bang for the buck and the food is appropriately priced for what you get.

WARNING: Merlin's House is bad news if you get motion sickness!
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Clark's - Don't Miss It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I wanted to let you know about the nice time our family had at Clark's Trading Post last Saturday. We tend to never leave the lake, but when my husbands family visits they like to go somewhere at least once. We have bears in our yard frequently, but when they visit the bears never come around. I suggested we go to Clark's so they could at least see some bears.

The bear show at Clark's was really entertaining. They spent a great deal of time educating all us spectator's about the bears. They started training bears in 1939. The bears appeared very healthy. They were feeding them bunches of carrots between shows. They said a bear in the wild lives 3-5 years. They have had bears live decades longer. I know some people think it's inhumane to have bears in shows, but I believe Clark's must be treating them well if they have been in business for over 60 years.

In the past someone on the forum suggested that the Squam Lakes Science Center would be a better place to go. The science center is a great place also. I do remember a time though when a toddler got to close to the bobcats cage at the center and was bitten. The two bobcats were then killed to check for rabies.
This was a must-stop for my husband, 15-year-old son, and myself last week while on vacation. Yes, it was at the 15-year-old's request that we went; we've been taking him there for a number of years now and he still loves it! They've added a Chinese Circus performance in between the bear shows; be sure to see at least one of the shows, they do different things at each show and they are fascinating! Also have added a Segway Park which is included in the price of admission, riding a Segway is easier than it looks and an absolute blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I agree with whomever made the comment about Merlin's, however - I went on that "ride" a few years back and still feel a bit disoriented every time I walk by the building, lol. Most definitely not a place you want to be if you experience any type of motion sickness...........) There are also two six-month-old cubbies (Mishka and Tula) participating in the bear shows now, truly on the job training!

My condolences to the Clark family for the loss of both Ed and W. Murray this past November and January, respectively; I missed Mr. Clark sitting on his chair and waving to the crowd during the shows. I spoke with Murray (W. Murray's son) and he told me they have approximately 20 family members working there this year, but they're managing to hold it together. This is a place I truly hope will be around for generations to come.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Been to Clarks a bunch of times, and have never even been close to disappointed. Every single person on the staff is friendly as can be. When my son was younger we were on the train. When the Wolfman banged his stick on the stairs of the train right next to where we were sitting, it scared the crap out of my son, to the point that it made him cry. I thought the Wolfman was going to jump on the train to console him, you could see that he felt terrible as we went by.

Definately a place you don't want to miss!
Just in case no one knows what the Wolfman is, or about the train -- don't anyone tell. It's an experience. Just make sure if you go -- you ride the train. I understand that a new train engineer will be making his first-time ever ride sometime in the upcoming weeks, so be prepared for that, too.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

Yes but Wolfman is not exactly a secret.He's plastered all over their website where they describe what he does.