Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
stevem

Default Anchoring Near Shore

Wondering what the etiquette is when anchoring near the shore with houses around it? I know it’s a public lake so there shouldn’t really be an issue anchoring for the most part but had a woman today near melvin bay that wasn’t happy at all that we were anchored in front of her house. We were anchored out near the row of mooring buoys so about 150’ from shore. She decided to bring her sailboat from shore and attach it to what I assume is her mooring which was right next to our boat in what seemed like an attempt to get us to move. She seemed to have an attitude from the start when she first came out plowing into the tube we had in the water that the kids had been playing on telling us it looked like we were right in her house from where we were. We asked her if she wanted us to move and she said it would be nice if we went out further past the moorings. We stayed for about another 1/2 hour then took the kids tubing.

First time renting a house on lake Winnipesaukee but have rented houses/boats on other lakes and never had an issue before. I would have had no problem moving further down if she had been polite but all she made me want to do is go back there again tomorrow.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevem For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (09-07-2020), dmgaspie (09-07-2020), DotRat (08-12-2020), erick26 (09-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
persistence

Default Anchoring Near Shore

She hit your tube? I really don’t understand why people think they own the water. I’ve had a run in too. It just makes me want to return to the same spot the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to persistence For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

It’s a big lake, no reason to anchor in a mooring field....

Dan
ACME on the Broads (08-26-2020), BroadHopper (08-12-2020), Descant (08-11-2020), Loub52 (08-11-2020), RoBe (08-13-2020), SAB1 (09-08-2020), upthesaukee (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

150’ from the mooring field is correct. Not from shore

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Sounds like a place you "can" anchor but "shouldn't."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
stevem

We were 150’ from shore not the mooring row so if we were supposed to be 150’ from that then we weren’t. There were no boats attached to any of the moorings at the time until she brought out her sailboat, husband and I assume grandson to play on the sailboat. We chose that area due to the water depth so the kids would be able to touch bottom.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Shhhhhh...be quiet

We live in a cove, and the only time we feel intruded upon is when people come in close to shore, anchor, play loud music and have a great old noisy time. Maybe I am an old curmudgeon, but I think it’s rude to invade other people’s space. Shrieking children and barking dogs...NO!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-11-2020), SAB1 (09-08-2020), stevem (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem View Post
We were 150’ from shore not the mooring row so if we were supposed to be 150’ from that then we weren’t. There were no boats attached to any of the moorings at the time until she brought out her sailboat, husband and I assume grandson to play on the sailboat. We chose that area due to the water depth so the kids would be able to touch bottom.
Yes, You should of Been 150’ from mooring field. No big deal everyone learns from their mistakes. Take a ride around with a Bizer chart and see where everyone else is anchoring. Like I said earlier it’s a big lake with lots of other legal places to anchor while respecting property owners privacy.

Dan
Descant (08-11-2020), stevem (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
stevem

No loud music but definitely had kids swimming. Try to be as considerate as possible but just want to make sure we we or weren’t technically wrong. Loving the lake so far though but you definitely need to pay attention for rocks over near where we are staying.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #10
stevem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yes, You should of Been 150’ from mooring field. No big deal everyone learns from their mistakes. Take a ride around with a Bizer chart and see where everyone else is anchoring. Like I said earlier it’s a big lake with lots of other legal places to anchor while respecting property owners privacy.

Dan
Bought the bizer chart in advance after reading these forums definitely helpful navigating where we are staying.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #11
DBreskin

Quote:

Dan

I understand courtesy dictates keeping some distance from a mooring field but is there a law prohibiting anchoring within 150’ of a mooring field?
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Message me if you want some more...friendly places to anchor.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
stevem (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
DBreskin

Quote:
Yes, You should of Been 150’ from mooring field.
Dan
I was able to locate the following statute:
270:64-a Docking, Mooring Prohibited. –
I. (b) No person shall anchor within an approved congregate or public mooring field.

The description stevem provides in the initial post sounds like a row of private moorings rather than a congregate or public mooring field so it should not be prohibited to anchor within 150', even if it is ill-advised.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #14
persistence

Maybe you were too close to the moorings. But if she had a mooring there she should have known the rules and could have easily asked / told you to move. Anchoring in a mooring field could be a nav hazard.

But still, ‘plowing into a tube’ with kids in the water, even if they were out creates an unsafe and more hostile situation.

Flame away lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to persistence For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
Sue Doe-Nym

Most of the summer camps are closed this year, so you might want to try setting anchor by Robindell or Tecumseh. Swimming in our cove is not great, so we used to take the grands to Ragged Island for swimming, picnics, etc. They love tubing near Tecumseh. There you are...a few suggestions from an old bat!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
stevem (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #16
thinkxingu

It's not illegal, it's just not cool. This woman clearly knew it wasn't illegal, so she was annoying in the hope the person wouldn't want to deal with it.

Unless the OP was close to a boat/boats, it shouldn't have been a problem.

That being said, I know a few people who live over there and they are very aware that the area is a giant sandbar and that at any point people might start hanging out there and, as a result, tend to be...protective.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #17
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
I was able to locate the following statute:
270:64-a Docking, Mooring Prohibited. –
I. (b) No person shall anchor within an approved congregate or public mooring field.

The description stevem provides in the initial post sounds like a row of private moorings rather than a congregate or public mooring field so it should not be prohibited to anchor within 150', even if it is ill-advised.
Private would fall under the term “Congregate”. The 150’ foot rule does not differentiate between private or public objects....if it’s an object the 150’ rule applies....I may be wrong but that is the way I have always understood the rule.

Dan
Old 08-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
DBreskin

Quote:
Private would fall under the term “Congregate”. The 150’ foot rule does not differentiate between private or public objects....if it’s an object the 150’ rule applies....I may be wrong but that is the way I have always understood the rule.

Dan
NH Saf-C 408.05 Mooring Permit Application distinguishes between private moorings and congregate mooring fields, and defines congregate moorings as 5 or more moorings under a single permit.

My understanding is the 150' rule governs headway speed while underway, rather than anchoring. I believe it is legal to anchor within 150' of shore even if it is inconsiderate to do so.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #19
ishoot308

Quote:
NH Saf-C 408.05 Mooring Permit Application distinguishes between private moorings and congregate mooring fields, and defines congregate moorings as 5 or more moorings under a single permit.
Call Marine Patrol and ask if your allowed to anchor in a Private mooring field. When they stop laughing, let us know what they say...

Dan
Old 08-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #20
ursa minor

Steve, welcome to the forum. It’s a big lake, if someone is annoyed they may (or may not) have a point. Instead of pushing back by “going back tomorrow” ( I know, I would want to push back too) move on, take a ride and see more of this beautiful lake.
As an example, Ragged Island is a great spot to moor especially during the week. The Lakes Region Conservation Trust owns it and has nature trails and “facilities” available on the island. No need to deal with stress on vacation, if someone’s being a jerk just move on. Plenty of room for all of us.
stevem (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #21
stevem

Thanks for the responses everyone, got some great suggestions and places we will try out during the week. Just a clarification, when we arrived in the area there were zero boats anchored or attached to the mooring buoys so we didn’t think it was an issue anchoring there. Also when I say the woman plowed into the tube we had the tube on a rope attached to the boat and when the woman was walking into the water towards us/her mooring spot I started pulling it back toward the boat so she didn’t have to go under or lift the rope up and she just hit into the tube with her body and kept going.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I agree with earlier posters. Don't fight it, there are other places to go. Most on this Forum will not give up their favorite spots, so it is tough for a newbie. Eventually, Steven, the OP, will find a spot and he will be quiet too.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
stevem (08-11-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #23
Tuckntruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I agree with earlier posters. Don't fight it, there are other places to go. Most on this Forum will not give up their favorite spots, so it is tough for a newbie. Eventually, Steven, the OP, will find a spot and he will be quiet too.
If a shore owner gives us grief when we stop to float for a bit, that becomes my new “favorite place to anchor” when sharing spots on the forums !

(Just kidding. Maybe)
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuckntruck For This Useful Post:
stevem (08-12-2020), thinkxingu (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Yes, there are plenty of spots to go where they are not houses. It always makes me wonder if boaters that stop right in front of somebody find it fun to sit and stare at them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Most of the summer camps are closed this year, so you might want to try setting anchor by Robindell or Tecumseh. Swimming in our cove is not great, so we used to take the grands to Ragged Island for swimming, picnics, etc. They love tubing near Tecumseh. There you are...a few suggestions from an old bat!
Amost all of the camps are close. Sandy Island is a perfect spot to anchor offshore (150'). I do believe there is a caretaker living on the island so don't attempt to go exploring on the island.
stevem (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #26
XCR-700

Angry

I think some of you are missing a key point that OP was making;

"We chose that area due to the water depth so the kids would be able to touch bottom. "

So some of you may be thinking older kids and deeper water anchoring, but as a parent, I will tell you it was a challenge when my kids were young to find a safe spot to anchor where the kids could get out and walk.

A lot of the rest of the country has places that you can "beach" your boat and then get the little ones out for some fun in shallow water, but so far as I know there is no such place on Winnipesaukee. The concept of beaching a boat on any beach at Winnipesaukee seems like a taboo subject on par with satanic rituals,,,

And let me echo the shock and displeasure someone else posted of this homeowner actually "plowing into" the OP's tube or even coming so close to their boat when they had little kids in the water. I fully respect home owners and the sometimes unacceptable behavior they suffer at the hands of rude boaters, but in no way does that EVER justify boating and hitting a tube where little kids are swimming. I fear my response to anyone who would intentionally put small children in the water at risk by boating out to put their boat on a mooring just to make a point. NOT ACCEPTABLE, EVER. Safety first and ALWAYS around children and boats. The last thing any of us wants to read is that some child was injured or worse because someone was trying to make a point.

Enough said by me,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
persistence (08-12-2020), stevem (08-13-2020), Thundra (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #27
WinnisquamZ

But, it is illegal to raft within 150’. Not knowing the boating safety rules is no excuse

Old 08-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #28
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I think some of you are missing a key point that OP was making;

"We chose that area due to the water depth so the kids would be able to touch bottom. "

So some of you may be thinking older kids and deeper water anchoring, but as a parent, I will tell you it was a challenge when my kids were young to find a safe spot to anchor where the kids could get out and walk.

A lot of the rest of the country has places that you can "beach" your boat and then get the little ones out for some fun in shallow water, but so far as I know there is no such place on Winnipesaukee. The concept of beaching a boat on any beach at Winnipesaukee seems like a taboo subject on par with satanic rituals,,,

And let me echo the shock and displeasure someone else posted of this homeowner actually "plowing into" the OP's tube or even coming so close to their boat when they had little kids in the water. I fully respect home owners and the sometimes unacceptable behavior they suffer at the hands of rude boaters, but in no way does that EVER justify boating and hitting a tube where little kids are swimming. I fear my response to anyone who would intentionally put small children in the water at risk by boating out to put their boat on a mooring just to make a point. NOT ACCEPTABLE, EVER. Safety first and ALWAYS around children and boats. The last thing any of us wants to read is that some child was injured or worse because someone was trying to make a point.

Enough said by me,,,
I agree that hitting the tube was completely unacceptable.

As a separate matter, I don't think anyone's missing the point--as others have pointed out in different ways--whatever the law, waist deep on your little kids is just too close to anchor in front of a person's home.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
As a separate matter, I don't think anyone's missing the point--as others have pointed out in different ways--whatever the law, waist deep on your little kids is just too close to anchor in front of a person's home.
As a general rule I will totally agree, BUT,,, there are spots that have a long slow pitch, just look at Ellacoya, I think you could be 300' from shore and still be in 4' of water.

I doubt there are many such places, but maybe some that keep you 150' out as the OP said they were, but still be in shallow water. I have seen a few such spots over the years.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Melvin Bay is 3-4' deep a longggg way from shore.

XCR-700 (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #31
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
But, it is illegal to raft within 150’.
The NH Marine Patrol seems to think otherwise. Their FAQ page includes:
It is legal for someone to anchor in front of a house, as water bodies over 10 acres in size are public bodies of water.

What the law says and what is considerate may be different. I'd never anchor with 200' of someone's home.

As far as I can discern, the 150' rule applies only to vessels in motion. Can anyone cite a law stating it is illegal to anchor or raft within 150' of shoreline or a private mooring? As an example, in Braun Bay the law stipulates boats may not anchor closer than 75' to shore.
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #32
WinnisquamZ

As others have said, please call and and ask. Then tell us what they say.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #33
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Steve, welcome to the forum. It’s a big lake, if someone is annoyed they may (or may not) have a point. Instead of pushing back by “going back tomorrow” ( I know, I would want to push back too) move on, take a ride and see more of this beautiful lake.
As an example, Ragged Island is a great spot to moor especially during the week. The Lakes Region Conservation Trust owns it and has nature trails and “facilities” available on the island. No need to deal with stress on vacation, if someone’s being a jerk just move on. Plenty of room for all of us.
It may be a “ big lake “ but it seems to get smaller every year !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
erick26 (09-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #34
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
As others have said, please call and and ask. Then tell us what they say.

I called this morning and my call was forwarded to the voicemail of someone on vacation who would return “around the middle of August.”
Old 08-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #35
ishoot308

Quote:
The NH Marine Patrol seems to think otherwise. Their FAQ page includes:
It is legal for someone to anchor in front of a house, as water bodies over 10 acres in size are public bodies of water.

What the law says and what is considerate may be different. I'd never anchor with 200' of someone's home.

As far as I can discern, the 150' rule applies only to vessels in motion. Can anyone cite a law stating it is illegal to anchor or raft within 150' of shoreline or a private mooring? As an example, in Braun Bay the law stipulates boats may not anchor closer than 75' to shore.
It is definitely not illegal to anchor less than 150’ from shore unless noted otherwise for a specific area. You were supposed to be asking if it was legal to anchor within the confines of a mooring field private or public..

Dan
Old 08-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #36
DBreskin

Quote:
It is definitely not illegal to anchor less than 150’ from shore unless noted otherwise for a specific area. You were supposed to be asking if it was legal to anchor within the confines of a mooring field private or public..

Dan

Dan, that is what I called about. I’ll try again next week.
The statutes list three types of mooring: private, congregate, and public. I don’t believe the law recognizes private and field as two terms that can be used together but perhaps I’ll find out when I’m able to speak with an official.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #37
tis

I hate to say it but I think it is legal to anchor less than 150' from shore unless it is a no rafting zone. I don't think it's considerate but I think it's legal.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #38
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I hate to say it but I think it is legal to anchor less than 150' from shore unless it is a no rafting zone. I don't think it's considerate but I think it's legal.
I know for a fact it is legal. You can even put your anchor on shore up to the high water mark unless noted otherwise for a specific location...

Dan
Old 08-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #39
tis

Quote:
I know for a fact it is legal. You can even put your anchor on shore up to the high water mark unless noted otherwise for a specific location...

Dan
Yes, I never want to be that affirmative. I always try to qualify my replies a little even if I am positive.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #40
ishoot308

Quote:
Yes, I never want to be that affirmative. I always try to qualify my replies a little even if I am positive.
I hear you...Marine Patrol (Dave Barrett) confirmed This for me a while ago....

Dan
tis (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #41
trackeer

Quote:
Wondering what the etiquette is when anchoring near the shore with houses around it? I know it’s a public lake so there shouldn’t really be an issue anchoring for the most part but had a woman today near melvin bay that wasn’t happy at all that we were anchored in front of her house. We were anchored out near the row of mooring buoys so about 150’ from shore. She decided to bring her sailboat from shore and attach it to what I assume is her mooring which was right next to our boat in what seemed like an attempt to get us to move. She seemed to have an attitude from the start when she first came out plowing into the tube we had in the water that the kids had been playing on telling us it looked like we were right in her house from where we were. We asked her if she wanted us to move and she said it would be nice if we went out further past the moorings. We stayed for about another 1/2 hour then took the kids tubing.

First time renting a house on lake Winnipesaukee but have rented houses/boats on other lakes and never had an issue before. I would have had no problem moving further down if she had been polite but all she made me want to do is go back there again tomorrow.
Several years back we had a issue anchoring for lunch in a cove with condos, can't remember the name, a owner boating in called us out how we'd like it if he ate his lunch in our backyard, he seems to forget it is a public lake. I think the jist here, the lake is not a private enterprise as some homeowners would like us to believe, essentially most bodies of water in NH are public, hence the row at Squam about a public ramp several years back, there is a pretty sweet public ramp there now!
As for anchoring amongst moorings, I have to ask why, the lake is pretty big and moorings are granted for folks to keep there boats on, if there was a boat or boats there would you have anchored?
There is always a good reason to defend ones position, I believe in our case eating lunch in this persons BACKYARD was a reasonable argument worth defending, which in my true Irish form I did! To anchor where there are moorings seems silly and to argue the point even sillier, not to mention the potential aggravation of doing so, there are mooring blocks under water.
I believe it's either 50/75 feet off shore to anchor, and there are those on the lake who will defend that with glee, particularly if your around their property.
Boating is fun, and the lake is BIG at least New England BIG, there are many coves, we used to frequent Stonedam, quite, no properties to speak of and we can eat our lunch with no interruptions.
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #42
Dave R

I know this may sound crazy to folks on Winnipesaukee, but in the rest of the world, the response to the OP would be "Why anchor if there are empty moorings? Grab a mooring and hang out."

I know a guy who has five moorings in a beautiful protected cove in mid-coast Maine. Four of the moorings are named for his favorite dogs and are there specifically for strangers to use. He only asks that you move if you take his mooring. This kind of thing is super-common.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-07-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #43
tis

This war will never end. Yes, the lake is owned by all. The sidewalk/street in front of your house is owned by all. How would you like it if 25-50 cars started partying with alcohol, drugs, music, and going to the bathroom on your sidewalk?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #44
milesbob

Default Anchor so close in an Empty Cove

Is it just me.
But if I go out on a weekday or even a weekend and anchor in the Moultonboro area, Someone will anchor within 75-100 feet from me while the entire cove or bay is empty. It may fill up later but at the time no one is near me.

The lake is 44,000 acres and I get the guy who pulls up and anchors practically on top of me.
milesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milesbob For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-26-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesbob View Post
Is it just me.
But if I go out on a weekday or even a weekend and anchor in the Moultonboro area, Someone will anchor within 75-100 feet from me while the entire cove or bay is empty. It may fill up later but at the time no one is near me.

The lake is 44,000 acres and I get the guy who pulls up and anchors practically on top of me.
Hahahaha! I just posted about this a couple weeks ago. We were in MB tubing with NOBODY there (10 AM weekday) and within minutes there were two other boats within a few hundred feet with STILL nobody else around.

Maybe there's a magnet effect in the bay!

Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #46
rick35

Quote:
Is it just me.

My daughter and friends are renting a boat this weekend and she said something about anchoring in "our" cove. I said don't do that. There will be six more boats next to you.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #47
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Same thing

Quote:
Is it just me.

There is a small island-cove that I used to pull my 13' Whaler into- sometimes anchored/sometimes pulled up on shore. I've done this for many, many, many years. Just sit, swim and enjoy.

A few years ago, me heading out to this beautiful spot, I saw a boat- maybe 24'-26' bow-rider- lake anchor off the bow/stern line tied to shore. It completely blocked off this little cove.

It may seem rude, but I hovered in the cove pretending to look for something below the water surface. I guess i interrupted their privacy, my 30+ year old OB churning out fumes!- after about 15 minutes they left- dogs and all!

Old Lives Matter!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #48
rander7823

Default Some kind of universal constant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hahahaha! I just posted about this a couple weeks ago. We were in MB tubing with NOBODY there (10 AM weekday) and within minutes there were two other boats within a few hundred feet with STILL nobody else around.

Maybe there's a magnet effect in the bay!

Have you ever parked your car far away from a store in an empty lot only to come out and find a car parked right next to yours while the lot remains virtually empty?

I think its one of Newtons Laws
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rander7823 For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-13-2020), erick26 (09-12-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #49
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post
Have you ever parked your car far away from a store in an empty lot only to come out and find a car parked right next to yours while the lot remains virtually empty?

Yes, it does happen. And one time they had parked so close to me that I could not open the driver's door, and had to enter on the passenger side and crawl over the gear shift lever to get into the drivers seat..... Not fun, and definitely not considerate!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #50
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post

Darwin's theory of proximity---It's more fun to graze with the herd even if others have eaten all the grass.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #51
ApS

Question Class of Visitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
It may be a “ big lake “ but it seems to get smaller every year !
About thirty years ago, I regularly asked anchoring boaters to move from in front of my place. Or, at least, unhook from my waterline. (!)

In succeeding years, tubers being towed behind 24+ foot boats would make any anchored picnickers seasick! So, in Winter Harbor, at least, we don't see the "south-side" of anchored boaters any longer.

Tuesday, a boater anchored nearby, and had a good time. We couldn't object, because they were 500-feet away, and in 20 feet of water.

Wednesday, a two-story pontoon boat anchored. My comment to a guest, "It looks like an entire boy's camp is on board!" They had lunch, went tubing for hours, and left. They, too, had anchored in deep water, and were perhaps 750-feet away.

Maybe we have classier visitors to Winter Harbor?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #52
Kamper

15 years ago, I managed a property with large frontage, for about 10 years. and this is what I learned over the years...

Except in legally restricted areas, you can anchor as close to other boats, and shore, as you like.

You may not beach, tie to a dock, tree or rock, or place an anchor above the water line without the permission of the property owner.

You may not tie to a float line or exceed head-way speed within 150 feet of a float/swim line. Also a no-no for official buoys.

You may not bring a motorized boat within a float/swim line unless you have the owner's permission to dock or beach there. (Owners/tenants are restricted to launch/recovery only in these areas.)

You may still swim and wade within the areas protected by float/swim lines. Just keep your feet wet. You may leave the water to get around docks or other structures installed by the property owner, you may also step on docks for the purpose of continuing your stroll. You may not go further than necessary though.

By being considerate and behaving reasonably (especially near houses obviously owned by the wealthy and influential people) we can slow the spread of no-wake/no-rafting areas which is the lake equivalent of snob-zoning.

That's pretty much all I think I know about that. Some of these rules may have been refined since the period when I had an active interest.

Enjoy!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-15-2020), Old Sarge (08-16-2020), stevem (08-15-2020), thinkxingu (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #53
stevem

Thanks everyone for the responses, figured I would only get 1 or 2. Left today but found some good areas from recommendations that the kids were able to stand in for the most part. Looking forward to coming back again.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #54
thinkxingu

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses, figured I would only get 1 or 2. Left today but found some good areas from recommendations that the kids were able to stand in for the most part. Looking forward to coming back again.
Glad to hear!

stevem (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #55
thinkxingu

So this dude, the ONLY boat we've seen in the last hour, just came in to do laps back and forth, in the quiet back stretch of Moultonborough Bay, while the WHOLE BAY is wide open. Blasting "Carry on My Wayward Son" over and over. L'il Buddy's boat is getting close to swamped. Wakeboaters suck.

Name:  20200816_112714.jpeg
Views: 3883
Size:  110.4 KBName:  20200816_113348.jpeg
Views: 4093
Size:  86.5 KB

Old 08-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #56
FlyingScot

Quote:
So this dude, the ONLY boat we've seen in the last hour, just came in to do laps back and forth, in the quiet back stretch of Moultonborough Bay, while the WHOLE BAY is wide open. Blasting "Carry on My Wayward Son" over and over. L'il Buddy's boat is getting close to swamped. Wakeboaters suck.
Yipes! Agreed that wakeboaters (and Kansas) suck. Back to an earlier convo-- this is why my man needs a life vest in a small boat. They're not uncomfortable once you get used to it

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8098...d-life-jackets
Old 08-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #57
Outdoorsman

Quote:
So this dude, the ONLY boat we've seen in the last hour, just came in to do laps back and forth, in the quiet back stretch of Moultonborough Bay, while the WHOLE BAY is wide open. Blasting "Carry on My Wayward Son" over and over. L'il Buddy's boat is getting close to swamped. Wakeboaters suck.Attachment 16352Attachment 16353

Cropped photos like this do not help your cause (plea's for sympothy). I am sure LE would view it the same way.

I see NO wake behind the boat you are complaining about. It also looks like the kid is not even in the boat you are saying is "being swamped". I say this because the yellow duffle bag, that is being stored on top of the gas tank, appears in both pictures. That gives a reasonable idea of the positioning.

So just a take-away from this.... If you are using pictures to support your opinion, make them visible enough to actually "give a picture".
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #58
XCR-700

Quote:
Yipes! Agreed that wakeboaters (and Kansas) suck. Back to an earlier convo-- this is why my man needs a life vest in a small boat. They're not uncomfortable once you get used to it

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8098...d-life-jackets
Well for all my knocks about the modern world, life jackets have come a long way and are in fact much better than when we were kids!
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #59
XCR-700

Quote:
So this dude, the ONLY boat we've seen in the last hour, just came in to do laps back and forth, in the quiet back stretch of Moultonborough Bay, while the WHOLE BAY is wide open. Blasting "Carry on My Wayward Son" over and over. L'il Buddy's boat is getting close to swamped. Wakeboaters suck.Attachment 16352Attachment 16353

Cranky old guy that I am, I dont get the blasting music thing. Its as if these folks want to feel like what they would look like if they were watching themselves in movie with background music and editing and all the hollywood stuff.

Cant speak to the wake boarding and wake surfing, but that blasting music thing is just weird to me. We would NEVER have wanted blasting music while water skiing in my youth, it would have ruined the experience.

I'm sure I'm missing something,,, NOT.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #60
Cal Coon

Quote:

Good (learning) experience for the young Captain. Life is not always smooth sailing...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #61
Descant

Default Nwz

Wherever Little Buddy was should have been a NWZ within 150 feet. I can think of several ways to protect that 150 feet. Yes some might be confrontation, but video recording while waiting for an MP response would be OK. Being truly confrontational (egg toss?) would be a lot more fun but probably less productive. Nevertheless, confrontation may be what is needed. A few sympathetic boats/kayaks/canoes in the area whenever wake boats are destructive? Three canoes create a 900' NWZ, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
dmgaspie (09-07-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #62
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Cropped photos like this do not help your cause (plea's for sympothy). I am sure LE would view it the same way.

I see NO wake behind the boat you are complaining about. It also looks like the kid is not even in the boat you are saying is "being swamped". I say this because the yellow duffle bag, that is being stored on top of the gas tank, appears in both pictures. That gives a reasonable idea of the positioning.

So just a take-away from this.... If you are using pictures to support your opinion, make them visible enough to actually "give a picture".
Since Think has been a reliable poster for years, and there's nothing inconsistent in the pictures, we have no reason to question his reporting.

So I'm gonna guess that you're the guy in the wakeboat. Please turn your crappy music down, stop driving in circles, and someday take a real look at those monster wakes and the damage they do to other boats and the shoreline.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #63
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

I missed this idiocy yesterday.

1. The boat is turning around in the image, hence no wake.
2. I'm IN the boat, and that's only one of a few not cropped images I took, since I couldn't start my phone's video recorder in time.
3. You'll also notice the surfer is in the water, not remotely 150' from the other shore.
4. He got close enough to us for me to record, and get his bow numbers—which I could've posted, but my intent wasn't to out this specific person but rather reinforce my belief that wakeboaters suck.
5. Since you're attempting to minimize my experience with minutiae, I'll be proactive and point out that the event took longer than just one "Carry on My Wayward Son"—he also played ****ty Van Halen tracks, among them "Big Bad Bill," more evidence this guy was a doofus.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-17-2020), ishoot308 (08-17-2020), smith point boater (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #64
DBreskin

Quote:

Dan
I spoke with the Marine Patrol today. I was told there is no minimum distance required for anchoring close to a private mooring, other than common sense to ensure the swing of the anchored boat will not allow it to contact anything else, such as a mooring or other anchored boat. Further, a line of individual, private moorings such as a row of private homes each with it's own mooring is not considered a mooring field.
I was already aware it is prohibited to anchor within a public mooring field or congregate mooring field (such as for a homeowners association that has four or more moorings under a single permit).
stevem (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #65
Woodsy

There is a fairly easy solution to this...

1. Turn little buddy's boat around so its nose out. Solves the swamping issue.

2. Place a couple of clorox bottles (or whatever) approx 125' from shore. They will think they are rocks and stay away.

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 08-17-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: punctuation
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woodsy For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (09-07-2020), TiltonBB (08-17-2020), upthesaukee (08-17-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #66
Cal Coon

Quote:
I missed this idiocy yesterday.

1. The boat is turning around in the image, hence no wake.
2. I'm IN the boat, and that's only one of a few not cropped images I took, since I couldn't start my phone's video recorder in time.
3. You'll also notice the surfer is in the water, not remotely 150' from the other shore.
4. He got close enough to us for me to record, and get his bow numbers—which I could've posted, but my intent wasn't to out this specific person but rather reinforce my belief that wakeboaters suck.
5. Since you're attempting to minimize my experience with minutiae, I'll be proactive and point out that the event took longer than just one "Carry on My Wayward Son"—he also played ****ty Van Halen tracks, among them "Big Bad Bill," more evidence this guy was a doofus.

The reason Van Halen recorded "Big Bad Bill" on the Diver Down album, was to give Eddie and Alex Van Halen a chance for their clarinet playing father to record a song with his two sons that actually got "recorded" on an album. It was a way of paying tribute to their father for his influence on his sons music career. Also, FWIW, both Eddie and Alex started playing the opposite instruments at a very young age before they decided to "switch", and found their real passion for the instruments they play today. One other needless piece of information about Van Halen that I find interesting is that they considered naming the band "Rat Salad" instead of Van Halen because of the influence the band Black Sabbath had on them growing up. For those that don't know, Rat Salad is an (instrumental, drum solo) song by Black Sabbath on their "paranoid" album. Don't you feel smarter now, knowing this???
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #67
Karen Schulte

Default Anchoring near shore

I think the issue is common courtesy. If you are in shallow water right in front of someone's house, don't you think you are begging some unnecessary conflict? Is this conflict going to be a buzzkill on your much-needed day off? The people that live there aren't going anywhere...They pay massive taxes (with no voting rights for out of state people) for the privilege of living there. Yes, these are waters of the state, but common courtesy should take precedence (I know, this is not en vogue these days). If there is somewhere to go with more space and less hassle, isn't that a win-win?

Also, with the increase in popularity of rafting in areas like this, there have been some water quality issues. Hopefully, families with young children will be careful of that and proceed accordingly. Typically, areas further from shore have better circulation and water quality. Finally, if you are hanging out in front of someone's house all day drinking (and peeing in the lake and making noise) and then drive away, you might consider whether they have been filming you and talking to marine patrol.

Enjoy the water safely, friends....and don't forget to support the Clean Water and Shoreland Protection Acts...After all, that's what protects the lakes that we love so much!

Quote:

Karen Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karen Schulte For This Useful Post:
tis (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #68
iw8surf

I’m just here to be miserable about people’s wakes, anchoring choices, music choice, choice in fishing lures, and if I don’t like the color of your boat! Waaahh
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #69
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Schulte View Post
I think the issue is common courtesy. If you are in shallow water right in front of someone's house, don't you think you are begging some unnecessary conflict? Is this conflict going to be a buzzkill on your much-needed day off? The people that live there aren't going anywhere...They pay massive taxes (with no voting rights for out of state people) for the privilege of living there. Yes, these are waters of the state, but common courtesy should take precedence (I know, this is not en vogue these days). If there is somewhere to go with more space and less hassle, isn't that a win-win?

Also, with the increase in popularity of rafting in areas like this, there have been some water quality issues. Hopefully, families with young children will be careful of that and proceed accordingly. Typically, areas further from shore have better circulation and water quality. Finally, if you are hanging out in front of someone's house all day drinking (and peeing in the lake and making noise) and then drive away, you might consider whether they have been filming you and talking to marine patrol.

Enjoy the water safely, friends....and don't forget to support the Clean Water and Shoreland Protection Acts...After all, that's what protects the lakes that we love so much!
Not looking to open a can of worms but I have a few questions.

See you speaking about those anchoring within or outside 150 feet?

If they are anchored outside the 150 feet the boat has just as much a right to enjoy that part of the lake as the landowner does

Do you have proof that rafting hurts the quality of water? Not speaking about the larger rafting areas such as Braun, West Alton, Margate etc but a few friends 150 feet off shore

Remember at most you see larger rafting maybe 30 days a year at best they leaves 330 days a year of circulation.

Honest questions

joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #70
Barney Bear

Default Hard Water

Good luck on boating some of the remaining 330 days.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #71
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Good luck on boating some of the remaining 330 days.
Wasn’t speaking of boating I was referring to water circulation issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #72
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Not looking to open a can of worms but I have a few questions.

See you speaking about those anchoring within or outside 150 feet?

If they are anchored outside the 150 feet the boat has just as much a right to enjoy that part of the lake as the landowner does

Do you have proof that rafting hurts the quality of water? Not speaking about the larger rafting areas such as Braun, West Alton, Margate etc but a few friends 150 feet off shore

Remember at most you see larger rafting maybe 30 days a year at best they leaves 330 days a year of circulation.

Honest questions

Honest answer--you've only asked about a portion of the problem.

Wouldn't it bug you if six boats were rafting for a day 160' from your land? (Not one boat floating by with a few happy people)
Old 09-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #73
joey2665

Quote:
Honest answer--you've only asked about a portion of the problem.

Wouldn't it bug you if six boats were rafting for a day 160' from your land? (Not one boat floating by with a few happy people)
It might it might not but that’s not the issue. They have a right to use the lake just like I do and if they are 160ft out they are legal and I have to live with it and hope they are respectful.

Just because you own waterfront and I did for 12 years doesn’t mean I own the lake in front of my home. The door swings in both directions.

At the end of the day if you buy a waterfront home especially in a quite cove you should also understand there is a possibility of people anchoring off your property. You cannot be naive.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #74
DBreskin

Quote:
They have a right to use the lake just like I do and if they are 160ft out they are legal and I have to live with it and hope they are respectful
My understanding is they could be 10 feet from shore and still be legal. State water is defined as the mean high water mark and the public has the right to use all of it, to the water’s edge, even though that might be discourteous. The only limitation is a prohibition against blocking access of those who hold littoral rights; I can be a jerk and anchor 10 feet in front of your dock as long as I don’t obstruct passage from your dock out to the lake.
DotRat (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #75
tis

Quote:
My understanding is they could be 10 feet from shore and still be legal. State water is defined as the mean high water mark and the public has the right to use all of it, to the water’s edge, even though that might be discourteous. The only limitation is a prohibition against blocking access of those who hold littoral rights; I can be a jerk and anchor 10 feet in front of your dock as long as I don’t obstruct passage from your dock out to the lake.
In a no rafting zone you must be 150 feet from shore, docks, rafts etc. If two boats are tied together other boats must be 50'away from them, if a single boat is anchored other single boats must be 25' from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #76
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Who is being naive?

Quote:
It might it might not but that’s not the issue. They have a right to use the lake just like I do and if they are 160ft out they are legal and I have to live with it and hope they are respectful.

Just because you own waterfront and I did for 12 years doesn’t mean I own the lake in front of my home. The door swings in both directions.

At the end of the day if you buy a waterfront home especially in a quite cove you should also understand there is a possibility of people anchoring off your property. You cannot be naive.

Joey, while it might be legal to anchor off a waterfront property, it’s naive to think that the residents are going to be receptive to unruly, boisterous boaters, and that’s what frequently happens for a variety of reasons: sometimes the people don’t realize the extent that noise travels over water, and others don’t care, just as long as they are having a roaring good time. Consideration and respect are frequently lost.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #77
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Joey, while it might be legal to anchor off a waterfront property, it’s naive to think that the residents are going to be receptive to unruly, boisterous boaters, and that’s what frequently happens for a variety of reasons: sometimes the people don’t realize the extent that noise travels over water, and others don’t care, just as long as they are having a roaring good time. Consideration and respect are frequently lost.
I agree that consideration and respect are lost but I never said the property owner would be or should be receptive again there is nothing illegal so nothing you can do.

I don’t agree with that type of behavior but it’s a reality with waterfront ownership.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #78
FlyingScot

Quote:

I think you've missed most of the previous posts. We've been discussing etiquette and manners, and we've already acknowledged the law does not prevent rude behavior immediately offshore
Old 09-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #79
joey2665

Quote:
I think you've missed most of the previous posts. We've been discussing etiquette and manners, and we've already acknowledged the law does not prevent rude behavior immediately offshore
No I haven’t I read all the posts and responded specifically to Sue. Maybe you missed that asking her several serious questions.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #80
ApS

Exclamation Not My Photo...Huge Erosion Factor—Too...

Quote:

At the end of the day if you buy a waterfront home especially in a quiet cove you should also understand there is a possibility of people anchoring off your property. You cannot be naive.
I'd expect things to change where there's abuse.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2020, 04:16 AM   #81
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I'd expect things to change where there's abuse.
Is this from your place? If so, is this an uncropped image and how often does it occur?

Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #82
tis

Think, i have seen this and it occurs often. I like Sue's description-they are having a "roaring" good time.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #83
XCR-700

Unhappy Why

Scratching my head wondering why this is fun for anyone.

I can see 2 or maybe 3 boats max wanting to do this, more makes no sense to me, just not seeing it.

What am I missing???
Old 09-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #84
Cindido

The above photo represents activity that happens on a regular basis. This particular spot was not granted a "no rafting zone" and has become a popular destination for a "roaring good time"
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #85
Susie Cougar

Where is this?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #86
XCR-700

Question I must be missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindido View Post
The above photo represents activity that happens on a regular basis. This particular spot was not granted a "no rafting zone" and has become a popular destination for a "roaring good time"
Well, I must be traveling to the right spots, as I have never seen this on Winnipesaukee myself.

Again, no idea why this is fun,,,

When we want to hit a sand bar, I wont even stop if its too busy.

If I visit the lake on a Saturday, its like maybe once or twice a year, just too busy for my tastes. I have to repeatedly remind my wife and kids not to make plans for Saturday boating, because we are not going!

I dont like the lake empty, always good to see other people and boaters, but there is a thing called too much and I feel like I'm the only one who says that.

I will wait for dock space at the various town docks (for a while) so long as people are behaving reasonably, and if it gets too cutthroat we just leave. Yes the jackasses win, but I dont care, as I have no interest in fighting idiots being reckless with their boats just to gain a 5 minute advantage. Miserable person that I am, I simply hope karma gets them and I usually leave.

Yup, becoming more and more curmudgeon with each passing year,,,
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #87
ishoot308

Default What did I miss??

If in fact the area in the pic that APS has in his post (Johnson's Cove?) is not designated a "no rafting area"...what are they doing wrong?? Did I miss something??...

Dan
Old 09-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #88
DEJ

That is the spot and you missed nothing.
Quote:
If in fact the area in the pic that APS has in his post (Johnson's Cove?) is not designated a "no rafting area"...what are they doing wrong?? Did I miss something??...

Dan
Sent from my SM-T387V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #89
BrunoSR

This does look like Johnson’s cove and I have seen these boats like this, once this year. I don’t go often so I can’t say if this happens a lot or not. However, I find it kinda funny that this is the location, some people want us to say, this is just awful, the poor landowners! As I recall, there isn’t a single house on Johnson's cove! There is one across the street at the far end of the cove and quite far up away from the road which I believe is a rental properly, but I could be wrong. I think there is one dock and a couple of barges, nothing else.

I don't care where people anchor, just be mindful of others and don't blast your music all day long. Believe it or not, not everyone likes the music you play just as not everyone likes my music choices.

All be safe and enjoy what we have here on the lake. Not everyone is as lucky as we are.
BrunoSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #90
ApS

Arrow The "New" Johnson's Cove Visitors...

Quote:
Is this from your place? If so, is this an uncropped image and how often does it occur?
My place is about a ½-mile distant. I might be able to recapture this image to show the property owner trying to get his sailboat fully rigged, off the mooring, and out of the cove. Maybe he'll ask to have a boat moved for passage?

The surrounding properties were purchased maybe ten years ago and, at one time, were for sale. Not too far away is a house presently for sale—just $10,000,000.

This picture was forwarded to me by a neighbor, but this is a usual summer weekend "convention" of visitors. There are usually many more boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Where is this?
Johnson's Cove, on Wolfeboro Neck.

When I first saw it, there was a two-story sawmill located there—but abandoned. There'd also been a slalom waterski course set up in its quiet waters. Turtles ("Painted Sliders") once abounded in the foreground of this picture.

Rainwater runoff from the former airport property drains an abutting forested area once known as "the dump", and flows alongside the roadway into Johnson's Cove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoSR View Post
This does look like Johnson’s cove and I have seen these boats like this, once this year. I don’t go often so I can’t say if this happens a lot or not. However, I find it kinda funny that this is the location, some people want us to say, this is just awful, the poor landowners! As I recall, there isn’t a single house on Johnson's cove! There is one across the street at the far end of the cove and quite far up away from the road which I believe is a rental properly, but I could be wrong. I think there is one dock and a couple of barges, nothing else.

I don't care where people anchor, just be mindful of others and don't blast your music all day long. Believe it or not, not everyone likes the music you play just as not everyone likes my music choices.

All be safe and enjoy what we have here on the lake. Not everyone is as lucky as we are.
It's the only place I've seen a boat captain wrap his anchor (and line) around a tree.

The former owner of Johnson's Cove built a postwar cottage uphill from the cove. It had been rented in the past, but this sailboat owner is a "regular", and built his dock not knowing

The weekend "parade" of these boats prevent regular weekenders from anchoring in Winter Harbor. The wakes are just too intense for anchoring a boat, but that and intense erosion is "all legal".

If I lived there, I'd buy some powerful amplifiers, and practice my "freedom of speech".
Old 09-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #91
Descant

Default Non-germaine?

I remember visiting Brad Frankham next to Johnson Cove in the 50's. Not a great place to anchor due to logs left over from the sawmill and the hurricane of '38 if I remember correctly. Lots of steps up the steep hill to his house. He had a 36' Chris Craft (Sea Witch), a Laker, can't recall name, and a sailboat converted to steam (Punkin Seed). Same place? It probably wasn't called Johnson Cove in those days.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #92
tis

I always remember it being called Johnson's Cove.
ApS (10-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #93
BrunoSR

"It's the only place I've seen a boat captain wrap his anchor (and line) around a tree."

Same here, except I was down 30’ retrieving that anchor! (not my anchor) LOL Lots of things down there to get snagged on.
BrunoSR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrunoSR For This Useful Post:
Fastfury (09-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #94
ApS

Question Frankham? Not Frankum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I remember visiting Brad Frankham next to Johnson Cove in the 50's. Not a great place to anchor due to logs left over from the sawmill and the hurricane of '38 if I remember correctly. Lots of steps up the steep hill to his house. He had a 36' Chris Craft (Sea Witch), a Laker, can't recall name, and a sailboat converted to steam (Punkin Seed). Same place? It probably wasn't called Johnson Cove in those days.
Everywhere else, it's always been Johnson's Cove; however, one chart had listed the cove as "Ike's Cove". The most prominent part of Johnson's Cove is a tiny sandy cove, alternatively called Frankum's Beach or "Land's End" by us locals.

At "Shadowbrook", I bought a Model "T" Ford from Brad Frankum: It was painted white with red spoked wheels.

Back then, perhaps 50 logs were floating next to the sawmill, attached with huge iron staples—chained together to keep them from drifting away. Many other logs had sunk to the bottom, or were resting on end—angled hither and yon.

On weekends, fishermen collected in twos and threes to catch lunkers there.

Here's a re-photograph taken of the Sea Witch—recently hanging in his expansive living room.

Also, I reported (here) his entire 50-foot dock floating in Winter Harbor just after Ice-Out.

A "fuller" picture:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:50 AM   #95
tis

I wonder who Ike was, APS. Do you know?
Old 09-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #96
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I know

Quote:
Wasn't that the President between Truman and Kennedy?

Dave
Old 09-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #97
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Dave
Do you think the President Ike vacationed at Johnson Cove?
upthesaukee (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #98
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Do you think the President Ike vacationed at Johnson Cove?
More likely Lyndon.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #99
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Long ago memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Dave
That reminds me of the very amusing bumper sticker circa early 60s:

“I MISS IKE!
HELL, I EVEN MISS HARRY!”

If you need an explanation, you’re too young or you need a history lesson!
🤓
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-12-2020), XCR-700 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #100
ApS

Arrow Ike--A Common First Name in These Parts...

Quote:
Ike is a fairly common first name here in the hinterlands. After all, just in Wolfeboro, you may remember an Ike Albee. In North Carolina, an Ike Johnson is presently running for Congress.

Logically, it would follow that the cove was named for a local timberman, Ike Johnson.

The cove's previous owner, the late Brad Frankum, was Wolfeboro's own "Daddy-Warbucks". He was frequently seen in the area, frolicking with his two teen nephews.

Last edited by ApS; 09-12-2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: fix underlined name...