Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Just Sold

Unhappy Fire in Tuftonboro

WMUR and other news orgs. have reported that there was a fire at 34 Barber Pole Road in Tuftonboro during the night. 1 person is repotedly missing. I hope that they are found safe. http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/1-p...a/-/index.html
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
1 person is repotedly missing. I hope that they are found safe. http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/1-p...a/-/index.html
It's being reported that this person died.

Quote:
but the state fire marshal confirmed the second person was killed.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/1-f...#ixzz2COyRRrFP
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I heard the wife died in the fire. Very sad.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
hilltopper

Terrible to hear...my heart goes out to the family.

As an aside, I always read these saddening articles looking to find out how these fires started in order to educate myself on dangers that may not seem obvious. Of course the articles generally say the cause of the fire is under investigation and there are never any follow up articles. Is there a place where one can learn the result of these investigations?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
BrownstoneNorth

Horrible news. And also tragic irony that Richard Cary, who resided there and lost his wife to the fire, is a retired architect who has been actively engaged in Tuftonboro committee plans to upgrade the town's fire-fighting facilities.

I'm not sure why it took 13 minutes for the first fire trucks to arrive after receiving the call. The Mirror Lake station is barely a mile, five minutes or less, from the Barber Pole house, but must be that no full-time firefighters based there. Here are a few relevant links; if the cause isn't reported in the press in due time, a call to the Tuftonboro Fire Dept. might produce an answer.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/121119333

http://www.tuftonboro.org/Pages/Tuft...ildings/mirror

http://www.tuftonboro.org/Pages/Tuft...scueBldg/recom

http://www.tuftonboro.org/Pages/Tuft...inutes2012.pdf

Last edited by BrownstoneNorth; 11-16-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: mis-typed name of fire station
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

The article also said they had issues with water supply. The fire started outside (according to the article) and was fed by an underground propane tank with the structure fully involved on arrival. Not too much you can do with a wood structure and propane fed blow torch.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
isleofsand (11-18-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
isleofsand

Default Response time

Tuftonboro is a volunteer fire department. The men and women of the department go about their normal every-day lives, until the pager goes off with the tone for Tuftonboro. They switch gears and leap into action regardless of the time, even in the middle of the night or during hurricanes.
My fiance was one of the first fire fighters on scene last night. If you map the route he took last night (the quickest/shortest), it's 5.7 miles. Now, IF he had gone the speed limits posted, it should have taken him 15 minutes. That does not include getting into gear or the truck housed at Mirror Lake Fire Station. I know that every minute counts in a fire, particularly the first 20 minutes. Given the size of this town, and the volunteer status of our department, I can not find fault with the response time.
For the residents of Tuftonboro; I had the chance to travel to the scene this morning. One of the greatest frustrations was where the house was located. There was not clear signage as to the number of the house. Tuftonboro Fire department does have double-sided reflective number signs to put in front of your house. If you do not have one of these signs, PLEASE get one!!
Thank you to all our brave men and women who fights fires, respond to medical calls, and keep our town safe!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
tis

There is someone at the Tuftonboro Neck fire station during the day but I don't know about at night. That might be the problem. I think the fire was called around 3:00 am. When the new building is built it will take at least that long to get to anything on Tuftonboro Neck unless they still plan to keep someone at the T. Neck station full time. There is a lot of expensive real estate on the Neck.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Road construction as well.

I was watching Ch 9 and they also mentioned the difficulty of getting equipment close to the house, because of the narrow and winding characteristics of the road and/or driveway into the house. They did indeed mention that the fire boat was brought over as well to provide water supply.

I'm guessing that there are no hydrants out there either.

A tragedy for all involved.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
PaugusBayFireFighter

I'm sure it was a very difficult job for the TFD. I would assume some smaller fire departments around the lake depend on drafting water for the lack of hydrants. Even with a hydrant you have the difficulty of locating it under snow, then hoping the hydrant isn't frozen or dead. Fighting fires up here is so so so different than in Boston or other big cities. So many obstacles and very little ability to pre plan.
Most fire trucks carry 500 or 750 gallons of water. If you don't have a water source tied in and flowing into the tank you have about 2 minutes of water. That makes an aggressive attack or a rescue almost impossible. It's hard to draft water from a frozen lake and setting up drafting takes a lot of time, it's a nightmare scenario. I don't expect there are a lot of fires in wooded areas that end without total destruction of the home. I'd be curious to know how living in such homes affects the cost for home owner insurance for fire damage.
The first thing I would do, as a home owner in a house like the one with the tragedy, is have extinguishers at the ready. Being able to knock down a small fire may be the difference between damage and total destruction.
I've never really sat back and thought about how they fight fire up here. The more I think the more I respect these small town departments with small budgets and man power.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (11-17-2012), isleofsand (11-17-2012), jeffatsquam (11-17-2012), KPW (11-17-2012), Resident 2B (11-21-2012), Sandy Island fan (11-17-2012), SteveA (11-23-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I was watching Ch 9 and they also mentioned the difficulty of getting equipment close to the house, because of the narrow and winding characteristics of the road and/or driveway into the house. They did indeed mention that the fire boat was brought over as well to provide water supply.

I'm guessing that there are no hydrants out there either.

A tragedy for all involved.
You are guessing right. As far as I know, there is no town water anywhere in Tuftonboro.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
GM doc

Default Water supply.

I do not know for sure, But I think the closest "real" dry hydrant is at the bridge on the neck road. probably a mile away from the house. A small portable pump at the scene isn't going to supply the GPM needed to do an agressive interior attack.

Another issue with living in the woods, Trim the trees and limbs. Just because it is a driveway and you can drive your car in just fine,doesn't mean a Fire Truck can get to your home. Call your FD and they will come out and tell you if they can get an engine to your home.

Sad story and heating season has started.
The Following User Says Thank You to GM doc For This Useful Post:
isleofsand (11-18-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

VIDEO http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/1-f...8/-/index.html

WMUR photo
Quote:
Investigators are not releasing the identity of the person killed.

But, we do know that homeowner Richard Cary made it out of the fire safely. He lived at the home year round with his 80-year-old wife.

He is an architect, who sits on the town's Fire Rescue Building Committee. His expertise and input helped in building the new fire department.
Town leaders spoke off camera with News 9, saying they are heartsick and devastated by this tragic fire.
Investigators say they responded to Cary's home after he called 911. When fire fighters arrived on scene, his wife was trapped.
An underground propane tank added more fuel to the fire.
"Units attempted initial knockdown of a thousand gallons of water with little effect," said Chief Adam Thompson, of the Tuftonboro Fire Department.
The fire quickly went to three alarms. Crews from neighboring towns came to help extinguish the flames.
Now, investigators are trying to determine what triggered it.

"We're still conducting interviews with the homeowner. As you would imagine he's upset," Raymond said.

Among the things the State Fire Marshals Office will look at, includes the possibility of faulty wires and making sure the furnace was working properly.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/1-f...#ixzz2CgZ44SmR
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
I'm sure it was a very difficult job for the TFD. I would assume some smaller fire departments around the lake depend on drafting water for the lack of hydrants.
I have a question for PBFF.I happen to have a pond accross the street from my house.About 10 years ago a hydrant/pipe was installed to draw water from the pond.Is something like this feasible for a lakeside home for more protection.I'm sure there are limitations but my question is how high can trucks pull water up from a source?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I have a question for PBFF.I happen to have a pond accross the street from my house.About 10 years ago a hydrant/pipe was installed to draw water from the pond.Is something like this feasible for a lakeside home for more protection.I'm sure there are limitations but my question is how high can trucks pull water up from a source?
Typical fire hydrants drain down to the water main to prevent freezing above ground. These are the hydrants we see along the roads. You may be describing what's called a dry hydrant or what us city boys call a standpipe. You will see these dry pipes on the grounds of most buildings that have a sprinkler system. In those cases we pump water INTO the pipe to feed the system. In a pond, obviously, the pipe is used to draw or draft water from the source.
If that's what is across from your house, it's plenty of water for a single house fire. If there is elevation from the pipe to your house your local fire department should know whether they need to park a pump at the hydrant, pump the pond, then relay pump to the truck higher up the grade. I would guess that's the protocol for rural departments that use hydrants like this.
Hopefully this pipe is tested at least annually and shoveled during the winter.
I posted a picture of what I think you mean.
I would not want to be in a place like the incident in Tuftonboro. If, as said before, the closest hydrant is a mile or even a quarter mile from the house, you have almost no chance of knocking down a house fire. It just takes too much time to lay hose, relay pump, etc. The Tuftonboro response took 13 minutes on a dry, snowless night. They used 1,000 gallons (probably their tank water) and got no advance. 1,000 gallons is about 5 minutes of water, tops. Any house with a water source that far away is an accident waiting to happen. I'd have plenty of smoke detectors if I lived in that situation.
I have an aerator that keeps ice away from my docks. I wondered if homes along the lake with no hydrants used these bubblers to keep an open access of water in case of a fire. That would only work if the home owner informed the department and the dispatchers notified responding companies of this option to draft instead of looking for a different water source.
It's a whole different ball game up here from what I'm used to.
Hope that answers your question.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
wifi

When I was working for the FD, we were taught the theoretical max lift was 30 feet. That's from the top of the water surface to the pump. Drilling/chain sawing a hole in the ice helps a lot, but you still can't overcome the 30 foot limit. Obviously the practical is much less, depending on pump conditions and how well the seal is on the hoses/hydrant, etc.

This is on draft, drop a submersible in and the rules change. Relay pumping is to overcome the friction loss of the hose, terrain height differences, etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
PaugusBayFireFighter

I believe the 30ft rule is still standard but, like I've written before, firefighting up here is completely different tactic wise than in metro Boston. Most firefighters in the big cities look down on volunteers and call guys. Now that I am a country boy I have a bit of respect for them. I still think anybody that would do the job for free is insane. I have 3 sons that will soon be following in my firefighting footsteps.
It's not the same job that it used to be...not in the least. The good old days are long gone.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
Heaven

Volunteer does not mean free. They get paid.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
GM doc

Default Umm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
NOT true. Some towns still have "Volunteer's" THAT do not get paid 1 red cent.

And I think if I remember correctly. 29 feet is the limit. You will NEVER draft water more than that. plus or minus a few inches. 30 feet......NO WAY.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
If they get a pay check and health insurance every week, that's getting paid. Sitting home and listening to a radio, getting out of bed to risk your life with other less trained firefighters, then getting a few bucks for it is not getting paid.
I'm not putting them down, I respect their roles. I think they should get paid for training and responding. I just think it's a risky thing to do for a couple of dollars. Rural towns depend on them, I now fully respect them for doing a "civic duty". You're also not taking into account the carcinogens they bring home on their bodies to their families after being exposed to the smoke and other things they breath in.
Please tell me what a typical NH volunteer, not call, FF would receive for compensation in a typical month after hours of training and doing live firefighting duties. Please take into account the increase in their health and auto insurance for having such a position.
Let's just pretend they have one fire a month that takes 10 hours of work. I'm curious what being "paid" means. Also, what would Mr. or Mrs. Smith and their children receive for compensation if said FF was killed or permanently injured.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
fatlazyless

www.meredithfire.org has a large and archirtectually impressive main fire station on Route 3, across from Lake Winnipesaukee, that was built about four years ago, and while it does have sleeping & eating facility upstairs for fire-fighters, Meredith has an on-call fire-fighter system what with only the chief being a full-time, paid fire-fighter.

All around central NH and the lakes region, it is pretty standard, I believe , for most towns to have an on-call fire-fighter system, and it has been this way for many many years.

Similarly, did you know that here in New Hampshire, local citizens who get called to jury duty for a jury trial only get paid five dollars per day for each day of the trial. That is correct, as far as I know, just five dollars per day....how would you like get go sit on some big long criminal case like the Stacey Burns-Wolfeboro-2009 murder or something, and get just five dollars per day for jury duty?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.meredithfire.org
Similarly, did you know that here in New Hampshire, local citizens who get called to jury duty for a jury trial only get paid five dollars per day for each day of the trial. That is correct, as far as I know, just five dollars per day....how would you like get go sit on some big long criminal case like the Stacey Burns-Wolfeboro-2009 murder or something, and get just five dollars per day for jury duty?
Doesn't even cover the cost of gas to and from court...I'm 45 and have only been called once for jury duty, in and out in 3 hours. Other friends have been selected for Grand Jury...that's a long haul too.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
tis

Last time I served on Jury Duty it was 10$ a half a day so if you serve all day, 20$. If you lived out of town you also got mileage. I have been called for Jury Duty either 8 or 9 times, it is so many now I am losing track. I must be on the list. I think there needs to be a better system where the same people don't keep getting called. It is interesting but I don't know how many times you should be expected to serve. It interrupts your life (unless like PaugusBay you are in and out in 3 hours. That never seemed to be my luck either.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #24
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Last time I served on Jury Duty it was 10$ a half a day so if you serve all day, 20$. If you lived out of town you also got mileage. I have been called for Jury Duty either 8 or 9 times, it is so many now I am losing track. I must be on the list. I think there needs to be a better system where the same people don't keep getting called. It is interesting but I don't know how many times you should be expected to serve. It interrupts your life (unless like PaugusBay you are in and out in 3 hours. That never seemed to be my luck either.
I can recommend some tshirts with controversial wording on it that may get you out of the duty pretty quick

I have no idea why I would only be called once since age 18 (27 years ago) and others are called much more. You're right, the system is inconsistent.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Nope that is not true. I just completed jury duty last week. I got paid $10 for each half day I was at the court, plus 25 cents per mile to/from the court.
My jury duty was 8 weeks long. In that time I was at the court 13 days. 4 days of jury selection, plus 3 trials.