Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
CateP

Default Wolfeboro Reconnaissance

Well, I managed to find a rental in Wolfeboro for most of the month of August. Also made an offer on house in town (contingent on selling my NJ house that is currently priced very well and is getting a LOT of interest now). So if all the planets align, it looks like my relocation is going to happen.

My ex-partner and I are on a road to reconcilliation so she will probably be moving up with me. Her company promoted her and she will have an office in Concord (working at home and traveling quite a bit so no daily commute from Wolfeboro to Concord).

So my next two weeks are about really getting a feel for Wolfeboro. I must say that my first day on Saturday gave me a little culture shock. I needed some stuff from the hardware store later in the day and discovered they close at 5:30 p.m. 5:30!? On a Saturday?? Will have to keep that in mind and plan accordingly. I also needed a bed pillow and found that I was almost an hour or so from finding that item in a store. Another shock.

I'm not moving to NH to shop, but coming from NJ where the stores are open until 10 p.m. and I would have five stores to choose from as far as bed pillow acquisition, you can see why this comes a s bit of culture shock to me. Not unpleasant, but eye opening.

Curious as to how other transplants who work 9-5 have adapted to shopping in the area.

P.S. There are many compelling reasons why I am moving to Wolfeboro and I am not a stranger to the area. I am not questioning my move, nor do I think I need to rent to decide if this is the right move for me. I'm just interested in discussing some of the more mundane day-to day adjustments that need to be made coming from a densely populated suburban area.

Last edited by CateP; 08-15-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added word
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

Well Cate, that's the difference between choosing the Wolfeboro side vs the Laconia side. They both have drawbacks and perks when viewed from ones own perspective. You'll easily adapt to the change. How do I know that? Because you have looked long and hard at this move and know where you want to locate. No cold feet.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
codeman671

SS is right. As far as fulfilling everyday shopping needs the Laconia/Gilford area is much better. Gilford has 2 grocery stores, a Lowes, a Walmart, drug stores, etc. Also Tilton is 15-20 minutes away which offers outlet malls. I made it from Gilford to Concord saturday afternoon via Tilton in 35 minutes.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Diana

Home Goods in Gilford for pillows.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
beagle

Default bedding/housewares

Cate, when I am in need of more towels, pillows, sheets for extra visitors last minute, I run over to Ocean State Job lot in Ossipee. It is the closest but selection can be hit or miss, but they always carry some pillows, bedding and towels, tools/ hardware, school supplies, some cleaning and toiletries, basic kitchen supplies. And right next door there is a small Hannafords. If I need to do a Walmart run, I go to the one in Rochester-less traffic and I think a little closer to WB. All in all, I think you can find pretty much everything you need close to home and for the extra goodie type stuff, order on line.
Good Luck!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beagle For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Home Goods in Gilford for pillows.
I was in the Plymouth area yesterday and went to Walmart, but good to know Home Goods is in Gilford. Great store.

See, listen to me. I'm excited about a store. I think I really need to get out of my NJ state of mind where the main activities where I live seem to be going to the beach (not bad when the crowds go home) and shopping. One of the BIG reasons I'm moving to the lakes region is to shop less and live more!! (get out in nature, join a friendly small community, SIMPLIFY).
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
CateP

Default Ocean State Job Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Cate, when I am in need of more towels, pillows, sheets for extra visitors last minute, I run over to Ocean State Job lot in Ossipee.
13 minutes from Wolfeboro and they are open until 9 p.m.! Great find.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
old coot
Deceased Member

Wait until you see what the hardware store's winter hours are.
oc
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Heaven

For a great mid-day walk, all your round make sure you try the Sewall woods trails. It brings the recreation part of "living more" here well within reach no matter what your schedule or activity level is.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-16-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
CateP

Default Hunter IGA -Customer Service A+

Speaking of shopping (and I will stop speaking about it soon). I had a most delightful experience at Hunter's IGA. After I was done shopping, the person who bagged my groceries offered to wheel my cart to my car and put the groceries in!! I couldn't believe it!! I haven't seen this kind of personal service since I was a kid. A+

...or was it because I have a few gray hairs and they have a policy of "helping the elderly" there.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Speaking of shopping (and I will stop speaking about it soon). I had a most delightful experience at Hunter's IGA. After I was done shopping, the person who bagged my groceries offered to wheel my cart to my car and put the groceries in!! I couldn't believe it!! I haven't seen this kind of personal service since I was a kid. A+

...or was it because I have a few gray hairs and they have a policy of "helping the elderly" there.
It wasn't your hair - they do it to make sure they get the cart back! I usually only go to Hunter's for a few quick items (in between the Hannaford's in Alton runs). Last week, I had enough to need a cart - the man that was going to help me to the car (God love him) - well, let's just say he looked tired. I told him no worries, I can handle it - but he said he had to come to get the cart back. I had to promise him I'd bring the cart right back! (I think he was watching)
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
NoBozo

It makes sense to get the carts out of that parking lot immediately because of the steep incline of the parking lot toward cars parked down hill.... AND..the Main street. If someone just leaves the cart it will end up flying down hill into the street sooner rather than later. Liability for the store if the cart causes an accident or damages any property. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Island Girl

Default Shopping in the Lakes Region

Amazon Prime account.... two day delivery and $4.99 for overnight... I shop there a lot for things I don't have to touch and feel.

Home Goods anywhere .... I call that destination shopping... I browse a lot, looking for the one thing I can't live without! Great for bedding, dishes and my tablecloth fettish.

Hunter's IGA is all about the service... and they have a lot of choices for a small store.

Tilton outlets are twice a year, necessities for low cost. The Eddie Bauer outlet is always fun.

BJs (Tilton) and Costco (Nashua) for the quantities of stuff like paper towels, frozen foods, Ghiradelli brownie mix, etc. I go to one of them about every six weeks.

I have an iPod in my car with a good book loaded for the longer drives.....

I imagine living year 'round in Wolfeboro is something like our island living. Once you get the planning and provisioning down, the rest is easy. I just make sure I won't run out of anything by having enough on hand and keeping a list going.

When I first came to the area I was in shock that a resort town shut down by 5:30 pm. I was used to places like Martha's Vineyard where all the little shops were open until 9 because people went to the beach during the day.

Good Luck in your endeavors.
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
CateP

Maybe I should have called this the Newbie Shopping thread, but I just wanted to mention I had a cute little chipmunk visitor look in the window at me. Seemed very tame. And yes, I almost broke my own "don't feed the wildlife" rule and gave him (or her) a little bowl of mixed nuts.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions about obtaining supplies over in the Wolfeboro area. One of the things I am hoping to learn here is about planning shopping trips better (lower carbon footprint) and becoming a little more thrifty, self-sufficient and innovative. (Yankee Ingenuity?)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
It makes sense to get the carts out of that parking lot immediately because of the steep incline of the parking lot toward cars parked down hill.... AND..the Main street. If someone just leaves the cart it will end up flying down hill into the street sooner rather than later. Liability for the store if the cart causes an accident or damages any property. NB
You know, I never thought of that, but this is probably EXACTLY the reason why they have cart service.

Still is great customer service.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
Jonas Pilot

Default It's for customer service.

I have been to Hunter's hundreds of times and more often then not they will offer to carry a heavy bag out even if you don't need a cart.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
It wasn't your hair - they do it to make sure they get the cart back!
Yep, even if you push your cart out yourself they will go with you to get the cart back to the store.
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I went to the Harvest Market in Wolfeboro one day and noticed on my receipt that I got a 2% discount. didn't know what for but found out later on Tuesday they give an over 55 discount. Ummm....I'm not over 55 thank you very much.

But I'll still take the 2%. (Is that stealing? Hmmmm....)
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
beaner

Default Sewall Woods trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
For a great mid-day walk, all your round make sure you try the Sewall woods trails. It brings the recreation part of "living more" here well within reach no matter what your schedule or activity level is.
I was under the impression there was a fee to use the Sewall woods trails. Is that not true, or is it only true for X-C skiing in winter?
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
jkjoshuatree

Default I Decided The Chipmunk Is A He

Quote:
Maybe I should have called this the Newbie Shopping thread, but I just wanted to mention I had a cute little chipmunk visitor look in the window at me. Seemed very tame. And yes, I almost broke my own "don't feed the wildlife" rule and gave him (or her) a little bowl of mixed nuts.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions about obtaining supplies over in the Wolfeboro area. One of the things I am hoping to learn here is about planning shopping trips better (lower carbon footprint) and becoming a little more thrifty, self-sufficient and innovative. (Yankee Ingenuity?)
Don't know why but he looks like a boy.

He wasn't around much when I had the pups with me but he was around all the time when I was there by myself. I "accidentally" left a few crumbs for him on more than one occasion!

Hope you're enjoying your stay!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #21
CateP

Well that was some rain we had yesterday. Nice soaking.
Still gray and chilly today, but I'm warming up my day with a nice lunch at The Restaurant with my first Wolfeboro friend.

It's kind of weird to be working lakeside.(I write elearning courses for a living.) My view is phenomenal. The calm and relaxation I feel is actually helping me focus well on my writing. Of course I'm looking forward to later in the week when I can take a swim for a workday break. In fact I've decided that when I am living up here, I'm going to take some nice work day breaks outdoors.

My Sunfish is on the trailer waiting for the weather to get nicer and for me to find a nice place to launch and sail about. Still trying to figure out how to get out on Lake Wentworth in a Sunfish. (Acres Per Second) has been checking that out for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

I measured 2.5" of rain yesterday through this AM on my rain gauge on Holland Hill in Moultonborough.

I am glad you are having a great time here!! It is an awesome place to live. As you have found out, you will put some miles on your car to shop, etc.

Also realize that life will slow down after Labor drastically.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
CateP

Default Lake After Labor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Also realize that life will slow down after Labor drastically.
I wish I were going to be here after Labor Day to see the transition, but I crossing my fingers that I will be here sometime this fall permanently.

As far as my Wolfeboro recon, it's kind of hard to get a sense of the local people because there are so many visitors around. Where I am now there are people from NY and PA. They don't wave when they drive by and I'm out walking my dogs. They are staying in huge, beautiful, multi-million dollar lakefront homes. You would think they would be happy, friendly people. I sure would be if I had a home like that. (Maybe they're grumpy because of the taxes).

Does Wolfeboro have a reputation for being wealthy and elitist?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
CrawfordCentury

Quote:

Depends who you ask. Someone in Wolfeboro might not think so (unless you happen to meet one of the 12 or so people who are actually 'from there,' that is).

You might get an altogether different response if you asked someone from the 109A side of Tuftonboro (not Mirror Lake, Melvin, or Tufton. Neck), or, more likely, Ossipee.

I know one Wolfeboro native who now lives in Brookfield who won't set foot in town.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
My Sunfish is on the trailer waiting for the weather to get nicer and for me to find a nice place to launch and sail about. Still trying to figure out how to get out on Lake Wentworth in a Sunfish. (Acres Per Second) has been checking that out for me.
You can put in at Mast Landing on Crescent Lake which connects to Lake Wentworth. It is very easy to get onto Lake Wentworth from there.

Also, if you have not done so already, a great place to walk your dogs or bicycle, is on the path that you can access in Back Bay.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #26
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
You can put in at Mast Landing on Crescent Lake which connects to Lake Wentworth. It is very easy to get onto Lake Wentworth from there.
Launching at Mast Landing usually works pretty well with a canoe, kayak, or small power boat.
I'm not a sailor, so I'd be curious to know how well it would work in a Sunfish. You wouldn't really hit wind until you reached Wentworth. So, you might have to paddle through the Smith River, and it's a pretty good distance from Mast Landing through the Smith River to the point where it meets Wentworth. I'm not sure how easy a Sailfish or Sunfish is to paddle.

Also, keep in mind that the afternoon wind typically picks up from the NW on Wentworth. It can be tough paddling a canoe/kayak from the middle of Wentworth to the Smith River inlet in even a moderate NW wind.

Having said that, it is a beautiful lake for any paddle or sail boat. Definitely worth the effort.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
beaner

Quote:
I wish I were going to be here after Labor Day to see the transition, but I crossing my fingers that I will be here sometime this fall permanently.

As far as my Wolfeboro recon, it's kind of hard to get a sense of the local people because there are so many visitors around. Where I am now there are people from NY and PA. They don't wave when they drive by and I'm out walking my dogs. They are staying in huge, beautiful, multi-million dollar lakefront homes. You would think they would be happy, friendly people. I sure would be if I had a home like that. (Maybe they're grumpy because of the taxes).

You have many friends in Wolfeboro, you just haven't met us all yet.

My friends are hard working, self-employed small business owners and a few retired folks. They volunteer with Meals on Wheels and are active participants in organizations like The Village Players, Cate Park Band and Clearlakes Chorale. They aren't wealthy or elitist. I've heard people say that though, mostly folks who live someplace other than Wolfeboro.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Barbara (08-16-2011), Bluebell (08-16-2011), Jonas Pilot (08-16-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #28
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Unfortunately the Mast Landing launch isn't good for sailboats. I need direct access where I can launch sail around and then reload. Wolfeboro Rec has a bunch of Sunfish over at Albee beach, but others can't launch there and the Sunfish are for the youth sailing program. The state park does not have a launch area either.

I was told you have to know someone on Lake Wentworth to get the kind of access I am looking for. Maybe after I've lived here for awhile I'll discover I know someone
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
You have many friends in Wolfeboro, you just haven't met us all yet.

My friends are hard working, self-employed small business owners and a few retired folks. They volunteer with Meals on Wheels and are active participants in organizations like The Village Players, Cate Park Band and Clearlakes Chorale. They aren't wealthy or elitist. I've heard people say that though, mostly folks who live someplace other than Wolfeboro.
This is so good to hear from someone who lives here. I just had lunch with my Wolfeboro friend and she said that there is a great mix of people who live here and that all it takes is getting involved with something to find friends you can relate to. She said she made friends with people first and then only later discovered they were uber-wealthy. She said she hasn't seen that status judgement at all.

I think it's going to be a LOT easier to find my friends once I live here and people see that I'm not just a summer person or tourist.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I don't think it's any different than any other town. There are all kinds of people. It might be considered a bit elitist but I know all kinds of people and you can be whoever you want to be and hang out with whatever type you like.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
Heaven

Quote:
Unfortunately the Mast Landing launch isn't good for sailboats. I need direct access where I can launch sail around and then reload. Wolfeboro Rec has a bunch of Sunfish over at Albee beach, but others can't launch there and the Sunfish are for the youth sailing program. The state park does not have a launch area either.

I was told you have to know someone on Lake Wentworth to get the kind of access I am looking for. Maybe after I've lived here for awhile I'll discover I know someone
There is a launch just west of Albee beach. The boat museum uses it.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
jrc

Just go mid-week to the town docks downtown and sail on Winnipesaukee.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
rrr

or what about Winter Harbor - you can launch from Libby?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #34
CateP

Default Mirror Lake SWim

I just took my dogs to Mirror Lake via Lang Pond Road and we had a great time!! The water was nice and shallow for my little swimming ShihTzu and my 12-year old black lab liked wading. I met a very nice gentleman who was rowing a scull on the lake. We had a lovely talk about the town and natural areas. He gave me his name and the road his lived on and wished me luck in selling my NJ house. Really nice.

I really don't mean to try to stereotype Wolfeboro residents. That was wrong of me and I apologize. I am sure there are all kinds of wonderful people in the area and I will just have to get to know them.

I checked out the Libby launch and that looks like a good possibility to for an easy quick sail. I am also going to check out the access over at Wentworth more.

Nice to see some blue sky emerging.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
Chris Exley

Default Just missed you.

My family was there on Saturday at the Mirror Lake beach off of Lang Pond Road. Alas, we had to head back to PA, as vacation was over. You can always launch your sailboat onto Mirror Lake from Rt. 109. Hope you are enjoying the area.

Someday, we will make the move. Just have to get the kids to move out so that I can move to the cottage!
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #36
CateP

Default Art in the Park

Great lunch hour(s) today. I went to Artists in the Park (Cate Park) and saw some really beautiful work. If I had my Wolfeboro home now I would have bought some pieces to hang in my house. I met a forum guy named Bob and his wife Margie (?). I also met another NJ transplant and had a great talk about the differences between the Jersey shore and Wolfeboro. That conversation could have gone on all afternoon.

I grabbed a very good lobster roll from the Yum Yum shop, ran up the hill to Hunter's IGA for dog biscuits and went back to work. Later in the day I launched my Sunfish over at the Libby Museum and sailed it over to my rental place in Winter Harbor. Super sail. Now I can just hop in my boat any ole time the wind is right.

I am SO happy to be here and feel so blessed. What a beautiful day it was and what nice people I met.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (08-17-2011), Pepper (08-18-2011), VitaBene (08-17-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #37
CateP

Default More Adventures

Okay so I went over to Ossipee on one of my lunch hour(s) and checked out Ocean State Job Lot and the Hannafords. Ocean State is a dangerous store...I can see myself going in there with a little list and coming out with way more...great find. Hannaford's pricing was pretty good. Tractor Supply store also a good find.

It's funny, but it seemed like it took a long time get there from Wolfeboro, but it's actually only about 13 minutes. I have been having this perception with a lot of my travels around here. However, once I've done a route a few times it feels shorter. Strange phenomena.

I found a little farm on the way out to Ossipee that sells fresh eggs. Cross that off my list. I LOVE farm fresh eggs and will go out of my way to get them.

Looking forward to the weekend when I can really go explore and enjoy a full day. There are so many activities to choose from. Broadway music tonight? Dinner with friends at the Ellacoya Grill? Swim. Sail. Take a walk in the woods.
Read on the porch...

BTW- I finished my first NH historical murder mystery. "Perfect to a Fault"
Starting "Look to the Mountain". Also discovered a three volume set of Wolfeboro history in one of the bookstores downtown. That will be my first purchase for the new house.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #38
old coot
Deceased Member

The prices at the Ossipee Hannaford are the chain's highest (actually tied for that distinction with the North Conway store I was told at the Ossipee store's service desk).
The Alton Hannaford's prices are lower and the travel miles from Wolfeboro are comparable.
The Ossipee trip is over a less hilly road, an advantage when it snows.
Ocean State Job Lot has top notch on line customer support I have found.
The Following User Says Thank You to old coot For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-21-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #39
Flylady

Default It is all about balance and priorities

I have been reading this thread with interest. I was lucky enough to get my place about 5 years ago. The huge differences between Los Angeles and Wolfeboro is the reason I decided that area. It forced me to slow down and enjoy the simpler pleasures of life. Gradually I discovered all the places with the help of the forum members that you are learning of. After the first season, short store hours, and planning better for shopping trips was much easier. Now I enjoy having all my errands done early, and being able to sit and watch the sunset or listen to loons in the evening rather than running around doing shopping or picking up from the cleaners! BTW my blood pressure is now far lower than when I am in LA! If you really love the area, the adjustments to life style will come quickly!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
acanthus (08-20-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #40
CateP

Default Bald Eagle

A bald eagle just flew past the porch where I am sitting. Great way to start the day in beautiful Wolfeboro.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #41
Rattlesnake Guy

I have to agree with Island Girl that living in Wolfeboro is probably a bit like island living. It's best done and enjoyed with some planning. It's probably also true that after a while you figure out that if you don't have it, you probably don't need it today. You are actually pretty lucky to have such a great hardware store. Being walking distance from the town docks makes it a popular destination for us. We also like Rubin's in Alton.

I don't know if you realize but Hunters actually lets us boaters take the carts all the way to the docks. They come down and collect them periodically. Very cool.

We have walked down the bike path (abandoned rail line) to shop at Harvest. Nice walk.

BTW, your watercolor is hanging in a place of prominence (out of the sunlight) in our home in Southern NH. Thanks again for the raffle item.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #42
snowflake

Default Wolfeboro Recon

I really enjoy the Cotton Trail beginning by the RR Station. I also like starting at Allen A Beach and walking to Whitten Neck Rd. I've never done it from Allen A to the RR Station, maybe next summer. They sure did mix it up in black's! Things just aren't where they were 50 years ago! I was so confused.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snowflake For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (08-21-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #43
CateP

Default About Town

More goings on for this Wolfeboro soon-to-be newbie. Got my hair cut at Mary Ann's Salon, next to Oh-So-Good barber. She did an excellent job. Tons of experience, well priced and super friendly.

Got my car washed at the Wolfeboro car wash and was pretty disappointed. They have this robotic system that is pretty fancy, but in the end the dirt that jumped up from the ground onto my car during those torrential rains remained. The high pressure water scared the heck out me and I'm thinking those swirling, twirling brushes at other car washes might work better.

Frankly a car wash that has people who vaccuum out your car and do towel detailing after going through is what I'm looking for. (Is this a NJ thing?)

And lastly, I bought some business casual shoes at Bootleggers. I was lucky to find some on sale that I liked. They have a good selection of sports shoes too. BUT, I am probably going to have to find another footwear place when I need to buy my winter boots. I'm going to be looking for boots that I can snowblow and snow shoe in. Won't care about looks so much as warmth.

Ended the day with a lovely sail as the sun was going down. How great is that??
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #44
Barbara

Bootleggers will soon have loads of boots of every variety. I haven's seen a NJ type car wash here. We don't seem to have that type of job here....the towel guys.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #45
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
I have been reading this thread with interest. I was lucky enough to get my place about 5 years ago. The huge differences between Los Angeles and Wolfeboro is the reason I decided that area. It forced me to slow down and enjoy the simpler pleasures of life. Gradually I discovered all the places with the help of the forum members that you are learning of. After the first season, short store hours, and planning better for shopping trips was much easier. Now I enjoy having all my errands done early, and being able to sit and watch the sunset or listen to loons in the evening rather than running around doing shopping or picking up from the cleaners! BTW my blood pressure is now far lower than when I am in LA! If you really love the area, the adjustments to life style will come quickly!
Been to Calif a few times for work and sorry but I'd take it any day over NH and I've been coming "up here" for 30 years. My main reason is the winters, hate them. Although I've never done LA I stay or at least hang around Santa Barbara when I'm out there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #46
KBoater

Default car wash

Not exactly what you discribed for a car wash, but Trities does a dicent job.
CateP (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #47
CateP

Default Happy Find at Hannaford's Alton

I stopped by Hannafords in Alton on my way back from work in MA today.
(BTW-the commute was 2 hours south and 2.5 hours north. Not bad to do once in awhile....in good weather)

I am very happy to find a lot of what I need at the Hannafords in Alton. Bulk nuts and grains. A whole natural section. A lot of the products I buy in NJ at very good prices. I think I have just found my main grocery store. (15 minutes from home)

Do you remember discovering things when you first moved here?
Wasn't it fun!?

And the best part of today was coming over the crest of a hill on Rt 28 and seeing those beautiful mountains. It felt like home driving into Wolfeboro tonight.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #48
old coot
Deceased Member

I see that no one has to repeat themselves before you get it, CateP.
I'm glad you found your stop at the Alton Hannaford worthwhile.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #49
Lakepilot

Cate, we shop there a lot also and whenever we do we also stop at Fiddleheads. If you haven't been there you should check it out.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #50
tomboymom

Default Fiddleheads

Ditto what LakePilot said. My weekly trip (feeding a big hungry gang) is to Fiddleheads first for produce, wine and fish, then to Alton Hannafords for the balance of supplies. I am much more satisfied with this then when I shopped at Ossipee Hannafords.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #51
Barbara

Quote:
I stopped by Hannafords in Alton on my way back from work in MA today.
(BTW-the commute was 2 hours south and 2.5 hours north. Not bad to do once in awhile....in good weather)

I am very happy to find a lot of what I need at the Hannafords in Alton. Bulk nuts and grains. A whole natural section. A lot of the products I buy in NJ at very good prices. I think I have just found my main grocery store. (15 minutes from home)

Wasn't it fun!?

And the best part of today was coming over the crest of a hill on Rt 28 and seeing those beautiful mountains. It felt like home driving into Wolfeboro
tonight.
That feeling of "coming home" is the one you need to listen to when people might try to persuade you that this might not be the place for you. Only you know what you feel.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #52
Aguamenti

Quote:
Wasn't it fun!?

And the best part of today was coming over the crest of a hill on Rt 28 and seeing those beautiful mountains. It felt like home driving into Wolfeboro tonight.
I grew up going to Wolfeboro, as my grandmother lived there. After she passed, we didn't go up there for about 5 years. Our family bought a home in Tuftonboro this summer, and I get that same feeling of coming home every time we go up.

And thanks to you for your post about visiting Mirror Lake via Lang Pond Road. Our home is on Mirror Lake, but I hadn't discovered that little area yet.
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #53
trfour

Thumbs up CateP

You are making a good choice for a place to live! The more you feel good about it, the better! We all want to encourage you in this regard.

I lived there from the eighties into the 2005 era year around and absolutely loved every minute of it! You are welcome to check my record on this.

Since then in retirement I moved to Texas. Well little did I know that here in 2011, Oh and yes this here is a very HOT place! . We are breaking records every day, as I speak in the high temp category! Weir your hat and never forget your shades!

Even The Governor of Texas has bailed out to campaign up in New Hampshire for President, ( the good news is, NO Less ), to get the he double hockey sticks away from the heat. Please forgive me for not making any sense, over here!

Now, hockey is a big sport here in the Lakes Region, please stick around!
Terry!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-29-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #54
CateP

Default Now at Rust Pond

I have moved my location to Rust Pond today and am renting a nice little cottage over here. I needed something for possibly all next week since I'm not sure when I can return to NJ and there will be power. So I wait out hurricane Irene in yet another beautiful spot in Wolfeboro.

This morning I went to the Wolfeboro dump (on a borrowed sticker) for the first time and it was packed. Boy if I ever feel like seeing a lot of people I should just go hang out at the dump on a Saturday morning. It was easy to figure out where all the recyclables went. Very impressed with the organization over there.

After the dump, I went into town to look into other rentals and stopped into Butternuts to browse. They had the most amazing "pizza" slices. Chipotle? Incredible taste that I won't forget.

AND I had an ice cream cone from Ooh-la-la Crepes. They have got THE best vanilla bean ice cream in town. I can say this with some authority because I had other vanilla cones in other places around town.

I've got to say that Wolfeboro has got some really great food options. I will have to make sure I do enough exercise to offset some of these delightful culinary treats.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #55
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Sorry I missed meeting you...

...at the Forum Fest (we couldn't make it), and I must say you keep me laughing. In this thread, you are like a kid in a candy store! I love it!!!! Enjoy your bonus time up here.
CateP (08-28-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #56
CateP

Default More Adventures

Since my last post I just wanted to share a couple of my discoveries. (well-known to folks who live here)

Cotton Valley Trail by old railroad station is wonderful. The walk is made even more interesting if you know the history of the railroad in that area. Seeing the railroad tracks emerge from the soil in places reminds me that people once road those tracks to get to the docks in town.

Bayside Grille was a great place to watch the Red Sox, Patriots or Celtics. Fun to hang around other fans and yell at the TV. I can see myself going there during the winter months on occasion.

Libby Boat Launch was a good place to launch my Sunfish. With a northwest wind you are a short ride to the beautiful, clear blue-green waters of Winter Harbor and in more daring moments...the Broads.

Winnipesaukee Chocolates was a dangerous find. I brought a bunch of chocolate bars to my colleagues at work in MA. Dark chocolate with cayenne was surprisingly good, but maple truffle was insanely delicious. They sell them at the IGA too. Love the wrappers. Great small gift.

With Labor Day weekend starting tomorrow, it's beginning to feel like a change is in the air. I'm trying to work it out so I can be here in September.
KPW (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #57
CateP

Default NJ Turn Around

Well I'm back here in NJ for 4 days before returning to Wolfeboro for the month of September. I can't seem to leave NH and I want to see what it's like when the tourists aren't around.

I can't tell you how different NJ feels to me now. I came back feeling a LOT less stressed, but see how people around here get that way. Fast paced, impatient drivers, long lines in stores. No connection to nature or the natural world (except fear of hurricanes). Nothing to look at that calms the soul (except the ocean when the tourists go home in October). Just too many people... for me.

So from afar now, I remember the mountains. The Belknap and Ossipee ranges. Copple Crown and Mt. Shaw. I remember all the different colors they turn in different light. The moods of the lake. Sometimes a mirror of the sky with soft breezes moving across the water like some invisible breath. Or other times the steel gray turbulent waves that erupt from a vicious wind.
No sunset is the same and every one is worth seeing.
There are quiet places where you can be alone with just your dogs. Or you can go into town and know you will be greeted with a smile and wave.

These are just a few of the impressions that are with me now.
I look forward to discovering more.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (09-07-2011), ishoot308 (09-13-2011), Jeanzb1 (09-07-2011), jkjoshuatree (09-07-2011), Jonas Pilot (09-07-2011), KPW (09-12-2011), Pepper (09-07-2011), trfour (09-06-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #58
Jeanzb1

Me thinks that you LOVE this area as much as I do! There are really no words to describe how truly lovely it is, how charming the villages are, and how these lakes and mountains once they grab ahold of your soul don't ever let go. We live three feet from the water looking out toward Rattlesnake and Diamond islands and beyond that Cow Island and the Ossipee Range, and not a single moment ever goes by that I am not overwhelmed by the view and not a single day goes by that I don't remark to my husband about how incredibly blessed we are. In another month or so we will be packing up and on our way back to Florida -- and yes, it's also lovely because we live right on the ocean -- but we are dreading it and don't want summer to end. If we had to choose only one place, there is NO QUESTION it would be right here.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (09-07-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #59
CateP

Default The Magic is Working

My second month here and I did something I haven't done in YEARS! I played my guitar on a lakeside dock by the light of a rising moon. My black lab came down to sit by my side and listen. (I sang "Moondance" as well as some other tunes)
Attached Images

Last edited by CateP; 09-13-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Grammar
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-15-2011), GsChinadoll (09-15-2011), ishoot308 (09-13-2011), KPW (09-12-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #60
CateP

I don't know who said things quiet down around here after Labor Day, but every time I have been out and about these past few days there are a LOT people on the roads and in town.

The Brewster Academy kids are back and their presence is happily apparent. Almost every license plate I see is NH. Is it that local people are emerging and going about their daily lives after the summer people have left? Kind of like getting their town back? (that's the way people feel in my NJ shore town of Ocean Grove)

Anyway, it's great to see so much activity and LIFE!!

Then I go back to the pond and all I hear are the chipmunks, squirrels and loon.

BTW- I was sailing my Sunfish out on Melvin Bay yesterday afternoon and I was the ONLY boat out there for most of the time. Incredible.

LIFE IS GOOD.
KPW (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #61
jmen24

Not so much emerging but coming back to the main roads (you will have the backroads down pat in no time, just don't let anyone follow you). It is like that over here in New London as well. Being able to go the PO without using the back way in is nice.

September and October are probably the most perfect months of the year IMO and I know of many other folks that feel the same way. First snow is always nice as well and you should try to get up here for at least a week in late November to see it as well.

Finding something to do in each of the seasons up here is what makes life great. It allows for a change or a break in the middle of the year and adds to the overall fun of each activity, the anticipation.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #62
Argie's Wife

Usually after Columbus Day weekend things get quiet... I've noticed there's a lot of traffic still, and I hope it's been good for the local economy.

Wolfeboro is always busier than Alton after dark - there's just more to do and it's more pedestrian-friendly than many towns in the area...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #63
CateP

Default This Morning

This was a shot from this morning right after a small thunder storm. The mist rising from the hills was lit by the sun. No wonder why they call this area "God's country".
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (09-15-2011), ishoot308 (09-15-2011), KPW (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #64
Heaven

They do? I thought that was Virginia
Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #65
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
They do? I thought that was Virginia
I thought "Virginia is for lovers" (or is that an old ad campaign?)

I have heard several lakes region life-long residents call it "God's country" so that is where I got that description.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #66
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:

Cotton Valley Trail by old railroad station is wonderful. The walk is made even more interesting if you know the history of the railroad in that area.
CateP: Check this out... WOLFEBORO RAILROAD

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
CateP (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #67
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
CateP: Check this out... WOLFEBORO RAILROAD
McDude-YES!! This was a wonderful history entry on the forum and I read it before I went on the trail. That is why the experience really came to life for me because I was connecting the history with the present. I love "Then and Now" imagery.