Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Skip

Default Menu Foods cat & dog food recalls

I am sure I am not the only cat (or dog) lover here in the Lakes Region, so I was a little surprised no one had beaten me yet to this topic!

Anyway, our family cat (a four year old mixed breed) is spending tonight at the local vet. She has succumbed to an undetermined level of renal failure after consuming a number of pouches of Walmart's version of the recalled "Special Kitty" cat food. While we are unfortunate enough to have our beloved pet ill, we are fortunate enough to still have a number of pouches of the reclaimed food in our possession along with receipts from out local Walmart that show the correct UPC of the contaminated food purchased over the last month.

After several visits to the vet and now a nearly $1000 care bill, our vet today believes that the illness is the result of the food fed her from Walmart. Once the actual contaminant(s) is determined the vet should be able to make a final determination based on our cat's extensive blood work to date. The early prognosis for our cat is good, and we are so very fortunate that we did not have her euthanized last week when her symptoms were at the worst.

It appears many animals may be affected by this recall and other members of the Winni family may have pets that have or will become ill.

Based on all that has happened my family is determined that at a minimum the Company or it's agents should be responsible for our cat's treatment. We are keeping a constant update via the internet on the latest developments as posted at the FDA and Menu's home website.

Hopefully all of my fellow pet lovers out here are keeping abreast of this developing horrific story and making sure that your cats & dogs are being treated accordingly!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
KBoater

Question What Recall

I have heard of the recall but can not find a listing of the effected brands etc. Anyone know were this info is?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Skip

Exclamation Menu Foods recall website

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
I have heard of the recall but can not find a listing of the effected brands etc. Anyone know were this info is?
All the information from the parent company MENU FOODS.

Also, this FDA website has additional pertinent information!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Island Life

Default poor little thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Anyway, our family cat (a four year old mixed breed) is spending tonight at the local vet. She has succumbed to an undetermined level of renal failure after consuming a number of pouches of Walmart's version of the recalled "Special Kitty" cat food.

Skip, Best of luck with your beloved cat; I hope she makes a full recovery.

Island Life
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
secondcurve

Skip:

How extensive is the problem? Have they figured out what is wrong with the food?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Skip

Default That darned cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
Skip, Best of luck with your beloved cat; I hope she makes a full recovery.

Island Life
Thanks!

I have never been a cat person and never owned one since marriage. My middle son brought this scraggly little kitten home from college for my wife & daughter. And what did the darn thing do? Yep, it latched right on to me...sleeps on me every night, in my lap every night as I read the paper and follows me around the last few years like a little puppy dog!

Truly hoping all turns out OK, think we caught it very early on....hope everyone else is as lucky as us!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Skip

Default Prognosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Skip:

How extensive is the problem? Have they figured out what is wrong with the food?
The FDA along with Menu Foods is till investigating the cause. They believe that a new supplier of the wheat gluten used in the recalled food could have possibly contaminated the gluten with a toxic mold or a heavy metal compound. It seems to be much more toxic in cats then dogs, although tonight's ABC news reported on at leat one dog fatality outside of the test animals that dies or were made sick when Menu did their own in house testing. There seems to be about a 20% initial mortality rate.

Our cat seemed to be recovering after an initial hydration treatment a week ago. She is in for an overnight observation and additional hydration tonight, we will have a much better idea on her condition over the next week.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
gravy boat

Default Pet Food Recall

Skip,

I certainly hope that your kitty is back to normal soon! As an owner of two rescued cats from the Humane Society (8 and 9 years old), I have always fed them Iams dry and Iams canned. After hearing of the recall I immediately went online and checked the codes on the cans. Bingo! I purchased the 24 -pack of mini canned Iams cat food at Walmart in the last few weeks. About 10 cans are left. I only feed them wet food in small doses -- a few tablespoons of wet food once a day, and typically skip one day a week.

So far they seem unaffected -- still energetic (they still sleep all day and zoom around the house as soon as WE fall asleep) , and their appetites are fine so far. And there is certainly no less in the litter box! But we'll be monitoring them closely for the coming weeks.

It's sad.

Gravy
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Quilt Lady

Default Keeping good thoughts . . .

Skip-

Isn't it amazing how a small ball of fur can turn a grown man into a big mush! The Quilt Lady and her three cats (and the dog too) wish your kitty a speedy recovery! We will be keeping good thoughts for your special little girl. Keep us posted as to her progress.

>^..^< x 3

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Flylady

Default Pet Food

I was not as fortuniate as to save receipts of food, I also mixed wet with dry. My cat began to show signs of illness last week. He was older, (10 years old) and when I brought him to the vets on Friday it was determined through tests and xrays that he had total kidney failure. We had him put to sleep as the chances of recovery were slim and the stress of the treatment would have been too much on him. The first siign of illness may be vomiting. Now with the food recall pet owners will hopefully not wait and get to the vets ASAP.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
KBoater

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. My new cat Kirk is safe.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Little Lucy too

About 4 weeks ago... one of our "rescued" Siamease, Lucy, just 4 years old, showed signs... vomiting. I was away on business and my wife drove her to Concord Animal Emergency Hospital. She was in complete renal failure. And sadly, needed to be put down.

She was the sweetest little cat.. She came to us as a part of a pair of cats from a woman who had lost a long battle with cancer.

Within a week.. her "older sister" Lexi (16 years old) started showing signs of a problem. Vomiting.. not eating. We took her to the Vet and had her hydrated twice and put on medication. She seems to be doing OK at this point.

We never suspected the food.

We have 8 cats... and have had wet food in the house forever. We have had "Special Kitty" and Marketbasket and Hannaford private label food in the house. All on the list.

We are sick about this... and have checked all the current stock of food. Everything we have seems to be OK. I'm concerned that the list of affected foods will grow.

Skip... we haven't saved our receipts.. but we know what we bought. We feel EXACTLY like you do about our cats. We hope all works out well for your cat!

We do have all the lab results from Lucy.. and plan to contact our vet about the results of the tests as they relate to this "outbreak".

I'm generally a very positive person.. but looking at just this site.. and the comments and experiences locally suggest to me a very widespread problem.

Please.. everyone... check your supplies of cat/dog food against the website posted by Skip.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

SteveA
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
pmj

Default so sad

I too, was never, ever a cat lover..in fact, I hated cats. Then a friend handed me the cutest little guy who has filled our empty nest with joy and entertainment. His favorite TV channel is Animal Planet.

We laughed at the IAMS commercial where the dog owner comes own and calls his dog to greet him...Mr Barky Von Schnauser, and thus our kitty got a new name..Mr Meow Meow Von Kitty . Since adoption, 10 years ago, our furby has snubbed his nose at wet cat food, so we have only bought Purina dry food for him. I was grateful to see that Purina was not on the list.

My condolences to those who have lost their pets because of this, and best wishes to those with recovering companions.

pmj
Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
dpg

Personally I swear by and only buy Purina for Hunter (a 70 lb ) Weimeraner. He does fine on it. I guess I am kind of a label nut, come to think of it I do not buy store brands in much of anything.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #15
Newbiesaukee

Default Premium brand names also involved

If you look at the recall list, you can see that store brands vs. not store brands is not the issue. Iams and Eukanuba are among the recalls, which actually is based upon the "cuts in gravy" type of food. As with many products, food or otherwise, they are often produced in the same factory by the same methods and just labelled differently. I do not mean that there are no differences between some store brands or some labelled brands, but it is not always easy to know. While the exact cause is not yet known the risk of this type of incident is inherent in any mass-produced product, regardless of brand.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #16
TomC

Default it is bad enough that it is Pets...

Imagine the consequences of such a toxin/poison entering the food supply for humans? Kidney failure is pretty bad...

I was sort of amazed that it turns out that so many brands, despite the illusion of differentiation, are fully or partially "re-labels"...

i can't help but wonder if such a situation could occur in soft drinks, potato chips, etc...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC

i can't help but wonder if such a situation could occure in soft drinks, potato chips, etc...
Hummm interesting point, especially now where every super market has there own Brand....
Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
tricia1218

I am so sorry to hear of your losses, that is truly awful.

We went through our cans of Iams for our cat and dog, and came across 2 cans of unopened dog food that matched the UPC codes for the recalled pet food. My cat, who is 20 did not have any of the the recalled food, I worried because of her age. I have been keeping an eye on our dog, who does not seem tired or to be drinking more water. Does anyone have any idea how long it took for the effect of the contaminated food to make the animials sick?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #19
Lin

Sorry to hear about everyone with their pet problems and unfortunately pet deaths. We feed ours IAMS dry food and are still concerned about that even though they say the dry food isn't connected as of yet. I understand that they are looking at wheat gluten ingredient as a possible source of contamination. What blew my mind was how many foods (expensive and inexpensive) are supplied by the same company. Makes you wonder how much more conglomorate food products are out there for both human, pet and livestock consumption and how easily it could happen again.

We empty all our feed sacks into tupperware containors and then throw the bag out. So we don't have any lot numbers if it was to go further into the dry food. What we do have though is I keep all of our grocery receipts and most of the time a lot of the scanned info is there for the product as far as brand/price/date purchased.

Sure hope everyone's pet that is sick now makes it through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
Skip... we haven't saved our receipts.. but we know what we bought. We feel EXACTLY like you do about our cats. We hope all works out well for your cat!

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

SteveA
Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Another cat owner here.I have used Iams exclusively for 10 years.Fortunately,the style I buy is not on the list but my cat has seen a definate decline in health the past few years.I now have to wonder about what I've been feeding her all this time.Sorry to hear of the loss and illnesses of your pets.We sure do get attached to those critters,don't we?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
Weirs guy

Losing a pet can be as bad as losing a family member. The circumstances make this even worse as we see how easily it could be human food and how many "brands" are really the same product (basically) made in the same place. Its like I always tell my kids, Wal Mart doesn't have a cat and dog food factory in China, so it all has to come from somewhere. Best of luck to everyone and now I've gotta rush home and see if the dogs OK. The cat wasn't to start with.....

Now?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #22
BBS2

Default problem

My condolences to those who have lost their pets. Losing a beloved pet, especially in this way, is like losing a piece of your heart. We just lost our 15yo Golden last August.

That's our new girl in my avatar! I was concerned because I was feeding her Nutro puppy chunks in gravy. I was glad to find out the cans I had were not those recalled, I almost had heart failure!

The problem, as I see it, is like the situation with the spinach! A centralized food system is a disaster waiting to happen. I guess I was still naive in thinking that if we spend more you get better quality and safety.

Our motto should be "eat locally". Easy to do here in the summer and fall , not so in winter and spring.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #23
MomCat

My condolences to those of you who have lost your beloved companions and my prayers for the recovery for all those being treated. As a lifelong animal lover whose family circle has included cats and horses for over six decades, I understand all too well the anxiety of waiting for a good outcome from treatment--and the heartbreak of loss when no more can be done. Our four-footed "babies" and the unconditional love they give are precious to us, and this is a sad situation, indeed.

We place so much faith in the products we buy, and we accept the manufacturers' slogans about quality control and care, but ALL of us--pets AND humans--are vulnerable when we ingest something that someone else has made. I hope that the responsible parties will be held accountable for the heartache and expenses they've caused. Those of us who buy pet food are entitled to the same degree of product safety as those who buy baby food.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Sorry to hear about your cat's food poisoning and I hope that it makes a speedy recovery.

Wal-Mart is known for its' customer service policy and you should not be surprisd when it steps up to the plate and does the right thing. Sam Walton is forever flying around in his 1959, brite red & yellow, single engine Piper Cub, going store to store to make sure everything is run right.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #25
Skip

Default Recovery is looking good!

Thanks FLL & everyone else.

Her bloodwork is much improved tonight and she took very well to the hydration therapy, get to pick the little munchkin up tomorrow morning! Sure seems weird to have her not in my lap the last two nights! I know one cat that's going to get awfully spoiled when she gets home.

We have a case file in with the FDA and are awaiting return calls from both Menu's and Walmart's legal departments.

Our veterinarian seems to be very positive about our cat's recovery!

I'll keep you folks posted and thanks for the prayers and concerns!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #26
Cal

Skip , glad to here your little fur ball is doing better. Luckily my three boys are ok.They have had a diet primarly of Friskies/Purina which was not one the list thank goodness.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cal; 03-21-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #27
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Cal....did you kidnap my cats while I'm on vacation? I have mackerel and blond coon cats that are identical to yours.If not for the different bedspread,I'd have thought they were my little guys.Glad they're safe!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #28
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Bankruptcy is LOOMING for some of these

Companies. This problem is widespread across the country, cats are more susceptible to kidney failure and less resilient to this food issue than dogs.

Besides the immediate death of cats it may also cause kidney damage which will reduce the life expectancy of these pets. Since the capacity of Kidneys diminishes with age it seems only logical that this would result in long term damage if the cat continues to live. All of this is terrible!

Almost the entire pet food industry is a scam. We are feeding our pets food that is not designed for what they need. It is designed to suit our ideals, appeal to the shopper and fill the animals stomach. The problems lie in the fact that much of the food in the diet is not to the benefit of the animal.

Corn, is not soluble to your pet and basically a filler. Look at the ingredient list on your pet's food! Look at the grain!! Protein from grain versus protein from meat equals higher profit margins for the manufacturer.

Kibble and pellet type foods are extruded which mean there must be an ingredient that holds the pellet together. GLUTEN is the industry standard, it is sticky and not good for your pet!!!!!! SInce both cats and dogs are predators they are designed to eat meat based protein. They have a short digestive tract indicative of a meat eating carnivore. Why do we feed them so much vegatable based protein, filler, carbs, starches...... profit margins!
In the animal's intestine there are little "hairs" which help slow the passing of food and absorb nutrients through the intestinal wall. These little "hairs" get covered in the sticky gluten and then get torn out as we feed our pet with tons of fiber in it! THe fiber causes the food to pass through the intestine quickly, as it passes the "hairs" may be torn out and damaged. They do not grow back and the resulting damage leaves ulcerlike damage to the intestinal wall. These damaged areas allow things to "leak" into the body which result in allergies, hot spots, skin and hair issues and MANY things we goto the Vet to treat. Pretty funny that the same food that we often see in the Vets office is one of the offenders..... We sell the food that you food to your pet and you come back so we can treat the symptoms!!! Nice litte circle if your a Vet!

Gluten is evil for the animal's health and in this case GLUTEN IS POSSIBLY very evil!

Generally, if your pet food is not hollistic they can use steriods, antibiotics and hormones in the raising of the animal based product. Once your pet ingest some of these agents it is then part of your pet..... just like people that boot steriods, longterm health is not on their mind. Since our pets have short lives we need to worry about what we feed them. Poor diets often equal shorter lives for your pet.

Look at the ingredient label of your pet food!!! You are generally paying quite a price to fill your pet up for a period and then see it on your lawn or litter box. 200 grams of corn into your dog's stomach equals 200 grams on your lawn....but it's cheaper! Feed your dog animal based soluble protein and you will enjoy less of that. If you feed it fiber then watch where you step on your lawn!

Final random note. If it says "Beef Meal" or any meat meal then that means it can be amost anythig and they can also use fillers since this term is a loose one and open for abuse. So your beef meal can be Beef meal dust, fat juice and ground up corn stalk!

So few foods are really good but you won't find ANY of the good ones at WalMart or your Grocery store....they don't care what your pet eats...you are supposed to...they are their for convenience and profit!

This pet food recall and VERY SAD to see so many people just in here being effected!

Kevin
Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #29
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Forum Friends Pets

I am very sorry to hear that this tragedy has hit close to home with our forum pets. My heart just breaks for all those who have lost a beloved pet or have had one fall ill. Hopefully there will be no more sad endings.
I wonder and worry if it is only a matter of time before the dry foods are affected?
(Thankfully the dry food that Mac eats does not have any wheat gluten in it.)
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #30
donnamatrix

Default Wheat Gluten

I can't help but wonder if the wheat gluten is from genetically altered wheat. There is so much we don't know about our food sources, for ourselves and our pets. Also, there is such an enormous amount of genetically altered/enhanced food everwhere now and in everything.... it's extremely scary. Not only that, but several folks have talked about buying what they thought was the best for their pet: Science Diet, etc., not knowing that all these different brands come from the same source, we just pay more for the higher end/prescription brand when we could have been buying the Market Basket brand. What a mess. I am so saddened for all of you who have lost a loved pet as a result of this horror. There but for the grace of God, as they say ...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #31
LibertySnake

Default Good

After reading this post, I am so pleased to see the amount of people out there who truly care for and treat their pets like members of their family. I grew up with animals all my life and learned the value of true companionship from all of them (especially a chocolate lab). This is my dog, Bear. I always wanted a big, tough dog, but due to my wife's allergies, I was reduced to getting a tiny, hypo-allergenic, Yorkshire Terrier. We feed him Nature's Choice dry kibble. From the lists I've seen, it is just cans or pouch food. I'll be on the lookout for anything else though...

P.S. I am truly sorry for all of you that have lost a pet to this SNAFU
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #32
SIKSUKR

Are you sure that's not a hand puppet Libertysnake?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #33
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeHunter
So few foods are really good but you won't find ANY of the good ones at WalMart or your Grocery store....they don't care what your pet eats...you are supposed to...they are their for convenience and profit!

Kevin
Can you make any recommendations on cat foods?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #34
rander7823

Default What are the "Good" foods?

[QUOTE=RattlesnakeHunter]

So what are the "good" foods? I saw IAMS an Eukanuba on the list and I thought those were "good" foods. I know it isn't always price but more often than not you have to pay for higher quaility.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #35
LibertySnake

My wife and I buy our dog food from a guy who owns a little pet store in town, no caged animals, just food, treats, toys, beds, etc...
He cares about what he puts in his dogs and is knowledgeable, so that is who I trust when I buy my dog's food. May cost me a little bit more, but it should save me money in the long run.
He brings his 2 Goldens to work with him everyday. They hang out near the toy aisle. The minute you pick up a toy they are at your feet just daring you to throw it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #36
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks All

Like Skip.. I filed a report w/ the FDA. I must tell you, the lady I spoke with was wonderful. She told me they are being buried with reports. I suspect this will get bigger and bigger.

FLL.. I hope your right about WalMart.. frankly the lady I spoke with at their customer comment department, was actually very rude. She told me that the legal department would call me back... so far.. nothing. She also told be that they would only re-imburse for any unopened product I returned to the store.. and I had to have a receipt. Zero compassion. I'm going to go to the Gilford store tomorrow and see if I get anywhere with the manager there.

I've not been able to get through to Menu Foods... the line they have posted on their website is always busy.

The cat that survived is doing much better.. so that's the good news.

The vet bills are well over $500 dollars.. I'm just looking to see if either Menu or WalMart are willing to even discuss helping with the costs.

Maybe we need to have FLL call Walmart for us!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #37
Flylady

Default FDA Reports

It has taken three days to actually get throught to a voicemail message that the box was not full. The messages was updated to state they are experiencing a very high volume of calls. So now I am waiting for a call back to file an official report. I encourage anyone who has or had a sick pet because of possible food poisioning to contct your local FDA office. This will allow them to determine the magnitute of this disaster. As another member pointed out, this is probably just the beginning of a raising pet death toll.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #38
Skip

Default FDA has been fantastic!

Quote:
Like Skip.. I filed a report w/ the FDA. I must tell you, the lady I spoke with was wonderful. She told me they are being buried with reports. I suspect this will get bigger and bigger.
I have to add to Steve's comments, the folks at the FDA have been attentive, compassionate and as helpful as possible given the circumstances.

Unfortunately the folks at Walmart and Menu Foods appear to be in full retreat as the scope of this disaster is becoming more apparent. It is impossible to get through on any phone lines and the companies involved have begun leaking to the press that any reimbursements for medical bills or compensation for animals that have perished will face stiff opposition.

We shall see....to paraphrase an old saying; Hell hath no fury like that of a loving pet owner scorned!

Anyway, our little fluffball is home from the vet tonight. She took very well to the hydration therapy and her blood work has returned to almost normal levels. We may have caught her in time and face the prospect of having her around for a long time to come! Right now our vet wants her to be loved and fcuddled and fed anything she wants to eat to get her weight back up. We will be bringing her back in a week for another round of bloodwork, but she is full of energy tonight! As a matter of fact she is hinting now that I get off the darn computer and bring her upstairs to bed to watch a little TV!

By the way, our Vet is the Cat Doctor in Dover....and we owe her so very much for being there when we need her!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #39
Mark

Lightbulb Many pet lovers here

I agree that this is going to be revealed as a very wide spread problem. I hope my fears are wrong. My heart goes out to those whose lives are touched by the tainted pet food.

It is obvious that there are many lovers of companion animals visiting the Lakes Region. Why are there so few pet friendly rentals near the lakes? Well behaved pets should be welcomed at more places.

They could charge a bit more for pets. The state would have more money to tax at 8%.

Smoking rooms or pet friendly rooms. Which would rather have? I'd rather hear a few barks than smell someone elses filthy smoke.

Mark
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #40
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Concord-Merrimack County SPCA

From WMUR last night.

http://www.wmur.com/news/11322837/detail.html

This problem is not going to go away soon. Sad story.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #41
BBS2

Default awful

This is every animal lovers nightmare. Some won't understand...remember they are "just" animals. (The last person to say to me almost had their heart ripped out)
I cook for our dog most of the time, but sometimes even human grade food is not safe (spinach, peanut butter). Our cat is a tuna junkie so no home-cooked meals for her. I did find 2 pouches of Nutro that I purchased for her at some point. I just tossed them.
Any ideas on a good, safe locally produced food to buy? I like Wellness and Old Mother Hubbard. They used to be made right in Lowell MA (my Dad actually worked for them part time after he retired) but I don't know where its made now. I emailed them but so far no answer to the question.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #42
Camp Island Girl

Default Healthy Pet Food

This entire pet food problem has made me sad and upset . My heart goes out to everyone who has had a pet that has become ill or has died from this. Our pets are our family, and we want to feed them good food. When something like this happens, it makes you wonder exactly what kind of safety standards are out there--even for our food.

I've been feeding our Golden Retriever "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul", which doesn't have any bi-products or wheat or corn fillers that I am aware of. Her vet has commented, every time she goes in for her check up, on how healthy she is and how good she looks. I feel that this food is a quality product and is probably one of the main reasons for her good health. This company also makes a cat food formula, and I checked the ingredients on the dry food bag, and it also appears not to have any wheat or corn fillers. I used to buy this brand at a local, holistic pet food shop, but unfortunately, she had to close her doors. So, I have been buying the food on line. Shipping costs are high, but the actual cost of the food is lower than I paid at the store, so it all evens out. If anyone is interested, the website is petfooddirect.com. They have weekly sales with discount coupons too.

My prayers to the cats and dogs and their loving owners; may they stay healthy and happy.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #43
LibertySnake

Default Check out these web sites

For those of you who are stumped on where to get your pet's food, check out these pet food supplier websites:

http://www.healthypetnet.com

http://www.canidae.com

No fillers of wheat, soy, corn, intestine, sawdust, etc... just human grade food.

The problem is there is no regulation by the FDA. Basically a lot of these manufacturers have to abide by the "honor system". When has that ever worked when the almighty dollar is involved?
Doane Pet Care lost $20 million in 1999 when their food killed 25 dogs from contamination. You would think this would be reason enough for better self-regulation by Menu Foods... Guess not. Hopefully their pockets will be lightened from this as well.

Last edited by LibertySnake; 03-22-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #44
SIKSUKR

According to the reports I saw last night,nobody seems to know what or where the problem lies.Wheat gluton has been raised but from what I have read that is not a problem for the cats kidney.From what I understand they suspect some heavy metals or toxins might have contaminated the wheat gluton.I'm guessing the gluton is in question because that was the comman ingrediant to the food that effected the sick cats.Right now it doesn't sound like disreguard for the sake of the almighty dollar as some have chimed in here.I think people should hold judgement till more info is in.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #45
WINDinmySOCKIES

I have 3 dogs and am good friends with a breeder who feeds her 20 dogs and puppies a day. We both use Nutro Natural Choice small bites and for the time being, only dry food of this brand is safe. This brand for anyone who is interested the main inredients are as follows: lamb, ground rice, rice flour, rice bran, poultry fat, soy oil, brown rice, dried egg, dried beet pulp, and then vitamin suppliments. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS NUTRO MAX!!
it is made by nutro, but it is NATURAL CHOICE. It is not made with corn and wheat products. I do not know if they make a cat food. We are feeding this to the tiniest of dogs though, chihuahuas, and pups that are under a pound, and all are well. Most Petcos, Petsmarts or Pet specialty stores will carry it,
it is about 9.99 for a 5lb bag. You can also cook equal parts ground beef or turkey and rice and mix together to make your own "wet" or canned food.
I am very sorry to anyone who lost a pet, or is nursing a sick one. i hope this helps. Good luck to all. Another No corn no wheat
product is ORGANIX..castor and polluux pet works www.castorpolluxpet.com.......Cat and dog food and dog treats

Last edited by WINDinmySOCKIES; 03-22-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #46
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
From what I understand they suspect some heavy metals or toxins might have contaminated the wheat glutton. I'm guessing the glutton is in question because that was the common ingredient to the food that effected the sick cats. Right now it doesn't sound like disregard for the sake of the almighty dollar as some have chimed in here. I think people should hold judgement till more info is in.
As usual SIKSUKR is a voice for calm..

The vet I spoke with yesterday that had treated the cat that died,(Lucy) he thought the heavy metal was the most likely cause because of the speed of the reaction.

I also agree that LibertySnake posted a picture of a hand puppet! What a great looking little guy!

I don't think Menu, or any of the resellers, view this as anything but a disaster. They all depend on the public to trust the products they sell. In a way the resellers are victims too. I do wish at least one of them...Menu or the resellers would volunteer to help people with the Vet bills. When this is all over the cost to consumers will far exceed the cost to them. We'll see if any of them step up. One thing is for sure.. lawsuits will follow... all class action.. and all that will end with settlements that benefit the lawyers more than the victims. Two have already happened... one from the Midwest.. and one from Long Island NY.

(Please... no nasty messages from lawyers. I respect most parts of the lawyer world.)

FLL-- how are you doing channeling Sam Walton.. I agree he was a standup guy...

I'm posting this pic.. so folks can keep in mind the little ones lost.. Here is Lucy.. God rest her soul. As told earlier.. Dianne and I brought her and her older sister Lexi into our home after her owner had died after a long battle with cancer.. we believe, strongly believe.. she is back with that lady.. sitting in her lap.. and happy. Didn't someone say "All Pets Go to Heaven? (That may be a paraphrase of "All Dogs Go to Heaven.." I'm claiming Poetic License.) (damn.. now I'm gonna cry!.. again!)

Name:  Lucy 1.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  35.6 KB

PS... Don... Thanks for being patient with this thread.. I know it's not a Lakes Region event. But it has been a good place for lots of us to share the pain of this whole thing...
Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #47
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Adopt a pet

To All,
As America ages.. (and I'm one of those baby boomers) more and more older cats and dogs are being sent to shelters. I'm told by our friends at NHHumane that the older animals are the hardest to place. These are great sites for finding these cats and dogs that really need a loving home.

We have a 22 year old, a 16 year old, and a 14 year old. They are all fantastic.. much less work than the Kittens and Puppies that so many people want to adopt.. and you will not believe the love they give back!

(End of Sales Pitch)

Local:
http://www.nhhumane.org
National:
http://www.petfinder.com/

SteveA
Old 03-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #48
SIKSUKR

Real sorry about Lucy Steve.That was tough for me to see her beautifull photo.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #49
WINDinmySOCKIES

Steve, so sorry for the loss of your beautiful cat. I bet she is back with her original owner. I think it is wonderful that you adopt so many animals. It is a great idea for anyone who can not commit to 15+ years, petfinder is great, my daughters friend is adopting a duck from there; so many little and big critters need homes!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #50
WINDinmySOCKIES

Just in... a rodent killer used on the wheat..iilegal here in the US..imported from China is believed to have been what is the source of the toxin in the pet food....think i heard that right......
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #51
sky_nh

Default Menu Foods Knew of Problem Weeks Before Recall

My thoughts are with those of you (and your pets!) that have had to deal personally with this food issue. I have checked and double-checked to make sure that my dog, Chance, was not exposed to foods from Menu Foods. Luckily, it appears that he wasn't.

I know that PETA is not on too many lists "best loved" animal rights organizations, but I did read from them this morning that Menu Foods knew of the contamination around February 20th and did not issue the recall until weeks later. If you are interested, you can find PETA here (beware that some stuff on their site is pretty upsetting to see). For the record, many of PETA's antics have been upsetting to me and I do not support everything they do. On the other hand, they do have some ideas regarding this crisis that some people might want to consider.

Here are some recommendations from PETA:

Buy pet food only from companies that test their foods in modern ways, not by experimenting on animals. The list of cruelty-free companies includes PetGuard, Evolution, and V-dog. One of the surest ways to stop corporations like Iams and Menu Foods is by not purchasing their products until they are proved to be safe and cruelty-free. For a list of manufacturers that do not test on animals, click here.

Demand that Menu Foods take full responsibility for these animal deaths from tainted food and the company's slow response in letting people know. Insist that the company take measures to ensure that this will never happen again, and ask Menu Foods to end its cruel and old-fashioned experiments on dogs and cats.

Demand that Iams (Menu Foods manufactured the recalled Iams food) immediately end all laboratory tests on animals.

Chance and I wish you and your pets well!

-- Sky
Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #52
Weirs guy

Our kitten had an appointment yesterday to get the old "snippy snippy", and as part of her visit we paid for the optional battery of tests (that were just done as part of a kitty check up) at $30 just because of this mess. The bad news (sorry dear, I did mean good news) is she's fine, but thats $30 that Menu owes me!!!! Imagine what the total cost to them is going to be....

Now?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #53
rander7823

Default Let the blame lie where it belongs

My condolences and prayers go out to all the owners who have lost pets or have very sick animals now. Luckily our cats get dry food and have avoided this disaster.
But also bear in mind where the blame lies and that is with the producer of the food and not the distributor. I see many posts referencing Walmart and suits. The suits should be brought against the supplier they were the one's ulitimately responsible for this and not the distributors. It appears that everyone wants to make Walmart the scapegoat for this. They appear to have taken all the appropriate steps when notifed of the issue.
If you are going to hold them responsible you need to hold everyone that distributed this product in all of its various forms responsible as well. That includes every supermarket mom and pop store etc. You can't just go after the one with the deepest pockets if you think this was negligence on the distributors part. They are relying on the quality control at their suppliers. If you expect them to test all of this in addition you can expect to pay about $10/ can for cat food.
The other thing that is really scary is they haven't figured out what it is yet and if they are unable to do that how could they have prevented it.

Last edited by rander7823; 03-23-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #54
sky_nh

Default Today's News Report Blames Rat Poison

There was an AP story today saying that they now believe that rat poison was the contaminant in the pet food. That would have to be someone's sick mind at work, wouldn't it? How pathetic!

-- Sky
Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #55
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_nh
There was an AP story today saying that they now believe that rat poison was the contaminant in the pet food. That would have to be someone's sick mind at work, wouldn't it? How pathetic!

-- Sky
I just read the MSN report which is pretty generic as it's the same in so many others, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17754681...15773?GT1=9145 but it really does make you wonder if this was a natural mixup mistake (which I highly doubt) or someone or group testing how easy it could be done. Sounds too suspicious to me now that they say that type of poison is not registered for use in this country. I hope they do put the FBI and other investigative agencies onto this one. Food supply is a huge issue for people, pets and livestock.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #56
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Rander... I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823
But also bear in mind where the blame lies and that is with the producer of the food and not the distributor. I see many posts referencing Walmart and suits. The suits should be brought against the supplier they were the one's ulitimately responsible for this and not the distributors. It appears that everyone wants to make Walmart the scapegoat for this. .
Thank You for your condolences.

I agree.. as stated in my previous post.. the resellers are as much a victim as we are as consumers.

I did get a call last night from WalMart.. the very nice lady that called told me that they are looking at ways to help their customers.. 180 degrees from the first response. My previous comments about WalMart had to do with the comments I got from my first call to them.

I'm not looking at them as "deep pockets". I agree that Menu is the main culprit here.

As for PETA... I agree they can be very over the top at times. The complaint they have here is the way the company found out about the problem... they feed the food to a bunch of cats and dogs... 7 cats died and 1 dog died as a result of the tests. I find it difficult to believe they couldn't have tested for the reported "rat poison" or "whatever" without having to feed it to live animals. PETA's problem is the method they used.. and I for one applaud them for their stance in this particular incident.

SteveA

Last edited by SteveA; 03-23-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #57
SIKSUKR

Here's link from WMUR
http://www.wmur.com/family/11346835/detail.html
My first guess would not be that someone did this on purpose but you never know.It's possible that the poison was used to control rats in the field where the wheat was grown.That was possibly in China.Why would you buy wheat from China with all the wheat we have here?Good question.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #58
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
My first guess would not be that someone did this on purpose but you never know.It's possible that the poison was used to control rats in the field where the wheat was grown.That was possibly in China.Why would you buy wheat from China with all the wheat we have here?Good question.
Here is the information cut and pasted from WMUR:

Earlier, ABC News reported that the chemical was on wheat imported from China. However, at the news conference Commissioner Patrick Hooker and Donald Smith, dean of veterinary medicine at Cornell University, said that they could not confirm the source of the contamination.

Sadly, the reason is probably as simple as the fact that wheat from China is cheaper than wheat from Canada or the USA.

I always consider Occam's razor..."All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." .. when trying to figure out "why" things happen.

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

As the world economy becomes more "global" the controls we try to put on imported products are made useless.

Sad
Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #59
Dickie B from HB

Default Report from the Left Coast

Hi folks,
Just a note to let you know that here in Southern Cal. the problem with sick animals is just as bad. Reports from friends as well as the news media reveals that a lot of cats and some dogs are suffering renal failure. Many have had to be put down.

A news report today said that they believe that the Chinese were using the rat poison in the fields to curb the rodent problem, and that the poison has been mixing in with the wheat. Apparently this has been going on for quite some time. Tainted pet food has probably been on the shelves for weeks (months). I have heard that the poisoning of the pets takes place over period of time.

We feed our dogs food that is under the label of "Dick Van Patten's Natural Dog Food". It is organic and contains quality ingredients (no by products). It's pretty good stuff. It smells good and it looks good, but most important, the dogs like it. It is carried at the Petco stores.

My best wishes to you all,
Dick B.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 AM   #60
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default A Response from Menu Foods

An article from the Post Star- Glens Falls NY - reporter Mark Johnson

http://www.poststar.com/articles/200.../d8o2beog0.txt

Taken from the article:
When asked whether there would compensation for medical bills for sick pets, Henderson said "to the extent that we identify that the cause of any expenses incurred are related to the food, Menu will take responsibility for that."

I'm not sure thats a Yes. But maybe I'm just being cynical.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #61
Mirror Lake's BB

Default We use Innova dog food

Now that a lot of people are questioning the ingredient label, I thought I would add my 2 cents: We switched from Iams quite a few years ago. We were originally under the impression that Iams Eukanoba was the best, but when we started comparing labels we quickly learned that was not the case. Let you be the judge- here is the link to the of the food manufacturer we use now :

http://www.naturapet.com

We use their Innova food for our dogs. They have their own manufacturing facilities which are ISO certified (ensures consistency and quality) and appear to be committed. They have a food comparison section that is very informative- just click on the food you use and they list the ingredients as well as the benefit/not benefit of the ingredient. A good quick indicator of the quality of the food is whether it has corn or corn meal. It may have benefits when feeding cattle in order to get a better quality of beef (don't know as we don't raise cattle) but is only considered a filler when used for dog food. Good quality dog food doesn't contain corn.

We feel that this unfortunate mishap will help the quality in the dog/cat food industry but not for the obvious reasons. Consumers will become familiar with reading the labels and start looking for higher quality ingredients. And the manufacturers may react to that.

We live in PA but try to stop by Monty's pet store on the way to Wolfeboro. He carries only the best pet food and is very knowlegeable. He is at the Epsom Circle on Rt. 28:

http://www.montyspetfood.com/ Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #62
gravy boat

Default Pet Food Recall

Like so many of us on the board, I have been very worried about my cats. While they are not exhibiting any symptoms now, my most recent Iams canned purchase was included in the recall. I called my vet this morning and made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon -- they can do a blood test and a urine test to see if there is anything abnormal in the blood or urine indicative of renal failure.

Also troubling are statements (online, on TV, in newpapers) by vets that they just don't know what, if any, long-term damage there will be to animals that are not now exhibiting any symptoms. Having them tested tomorrow will bring me some piece of mind and allow me to again sleep at night.

I am so sorry to hear about those that have lost their beloved pets - I know that I would be devastated.

GB
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #63
Pepper

My heart just breaks at so many illnesses and deaths of beloved pets. I lost a cat to heart failure a little over a year ago, but still have my delightful elder miniature dashchund (who is sitting on my lap right now) and know that his time is short. I'm thankful for every day the Lord lets him be here for us, and can't imagine the heartbreak so many folks are experiencing because of this contamination. My deepest condolences to all who have lost their companion pets, and my very best wishes for the continuted improving health of all those whose pets have been stricken.

This is just so very sad!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #64
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Hope your little "pup" lives another 20 years.......and nice to see you back on the forum.We miss you when you're gone,but understand that you're a very busy girl.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #65
Joanna16

This has brought me great comfort since my loss last year . . .

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #66
IrishEyes

Default Raw Food Diet for dogs and cats

Why Feed a Raw Food Diet?
More and more professionals in the world of dogs and cats (breeders, veterinarians, breed ring handlers, sports competitors) and thousands of concerned pet owners, are advocating a second look at what we feed our animals.

There is a growing belief that dogs and cats need a raw, natural diet in order to be healthy and that commercial pet foods cannot supply the nutrients necessary for good health and a long life. An overabundance of the wrong ingredients may serve to satisfy a hungry pet, but they may also contribute to long-term health problems.

Just like us, our pets are what they eat. After I switched my dogs to a raw diet, I noticed an amazing difference in my older (age 14) dog's energy level. It is more expensive to feed a raw diet, but compared to what you would be spending in vet bills, it's well worth it.

And here's some of benefits of feeding the raw diet:
Shinier, healthier skin and coats
Cleaner teeth and fresh breath
Better weight control
Improved digestion
Reduction of allergy symptoms
Harder, smaller, less smelly stools
More energy and stamina
Decrease in abnormal hyperactivity
Increased mobility in older animals
Reduced or eliminated need for veterinary dental work

Listed below are just a few of the companies that offer the raw food diet. These products are available at Laconia Pet Store, Village Greenery in Meredith, Pet Paradise in the Belknap Mall and Monty's Pet Store in Epsom.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/
http://www.bravorawdiet.com/
http://www.primalpetfoods.com/
http://www.barfproducts.com/index.htm

My heart goes out to all of you who have experienced illness with your pets. My German Shepherd passed away last year from bloat (gastric dilatation). It was after her death and my adoption of another large dog, that I learned of the raw diet. My new dog has the most beautiful coat of fur, the whitest teeth, no doggie breath, etc. from the raw diet. I just wanted to pass along this information for those of you looking for an alternative food.

Best of Luck to you all and your beloved pets.

IrishEyes
Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #67
BBS2

Default impressed

I recieved two notices, one from the PETCO bulletin board and from the Wellness bulletin board about the recalls. They also gave info about alternative natural foods, where and how they were made. What timely responses amidst the chaos of the pet food recall...information you could use.

I have been a member of PETA for a number of years, and like some of you, I don't agree with all their tactics. But...sometimes extreme measures are needed to bring about awareness. Some folks don't even think about things like testing on animals or the fur industry or the meat industry. PETA's actions
might make a few people stop and think.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #68
Mink Islander

Default Raw Diets

My Portuguese Water Dog, Bailey, eats a combo of raw ground meat/bone mixed with veggies and Raw Chicken Wings -- yes chicken wings. Uncooked, the bones don't splinter and can be digested. He loves them. Our vet was initially skeptical, but did some research on her own and came back and said what we are doing is fine. He sounds like he's eating tacos at mealtime. Of course he likes carrots, brocolli, asparagus, grapes and the occasional pizza crust too....

Our cat Spooky eats can/dry food but thankfully not a brand subject to the recall.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM   #69
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
My Portuguese Water Dog, Bailey, eats a combo of raw ground meat/bone mixed with veggies and Raw Chicken Wings -- yes chicken wings. Uncooked, the bones don't splinter and can be digested. He loves them. Our vet was initially skeptical, but did some research on her own and came back and said what we are doing is fine. He sounds like he's eating tacos at mealtime. Of course he likes carrots, brocolli, asparagus, grapes and the occasional pizza crust too....

Our cat Spooky eats can/dry food but thankfully not a brand subject to the recall.
Use extreme caution feeding grapes or raisins to your dog. Here is the question and the answer from the ASPCA:

I’ve heard that grapes are poisonous to dogs. Yes or no?

Yes. At the current time, we know that grapes and raisins appear to cause renal failure in dogs who’ve ingested large amounts. However, we have not determined with certainty the toxic component, or the exact mechanism that causes renal failure. It is also not clear if only certain dogs are affected, or if long-term ingestions can lead to the same effects that a large one-time ingestion can. Because there are still many unknowns regarding the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, it is advisable not to give grapes or raisins to dogs in any amount.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #70
tricia1218

Our dog has always liked vegtables, he always has cucumbers with his meal, and carrots for snacks, we cannot even say the word carrot around him or ears up, he starts running around in circles. we use the code word C, which I think he is on too. He is a full size dachshund and is "big boned" so we have to watch how much he eats.

My mistake was never really thinking about what we fed him, i assumed that store bought would be what he needed, we even paid extra for what we thought was the better brand which turned out to be the same as the less expensive foods. After this sad incident with all the recalls and pet deaths, i have done some research and found a natural dog food with healthy ingrediants which he really enjoys.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #71
BBS2

Default adorable

tricia1218...

Your avatar is adorable. All our goldens have had "human" food. I make extra vegetables and meat, and thats what they eat during the week. I occasionally feed canned too, unfortunately Nutro was our brand of choice...not any more!!! I've switched to Natural Balance by Dick van Patten lots of protein!
There's a magazine called Whole Dog Journal that just did two issues on canned and dry foods..interesting.

If you make your own food try adding some bonemeal, tamari sauce or cottage cheese.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #72
WINDinmySOCKIES

I just read something on the internet that now the FDA can not confirm the rat poisin chemical that the other testing showed, but they are now saying it is a chemical called MELAMINE, in the wheat gluten. Melamine is used in making plastics???!!?? I am adding to this ...article is at comcast.net and as of 9pm this eve hill's pet nutrition m/d feline prescription diet has now been recalled. THIS IS NEW AND A DRY CAT FOOD! Please keep looking for updates and keep your furry friends safe.

Last edited by WINDinmySOCKIES; 03-30-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #73
gravy boat

Default Pet Food Recall

I just dropped off one of my kitties, Petey, to the vet for the morning. Both of my kitties had blood work done on Tuesday and his came back with some questionable values (one value was on the top end of normal, nothing alarming but worth investigating further), so I dropped him off so they can try to get a urine sample from him (they set him up with special non-absorbant litter, some special food and water and let nature take its course -- we were not able to stay home during the week to get a sample ourselves).

We kept the remaining cans of Iams tuna flakes in sauce and the receipt. My understanding from what I've read online (which may or may not be accurate) is that reimbursement of vet bills will be made to those affected animals' owners. Hopefully the high value is due to age (he's 9 and in good health otherwise). We will still submit the required information/documentation for reimbursement as if not for the poison in the food, these bills would not have been incurred.

Like other forum members mentioned earlier in this thread, it's frustrating that we've paid extra for a premium brand only to find that it makes no difference in quality -- it seems that the same ingredients are used in many brands.

GB
Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #74
MomCat

Our prayers continue for all the beloved pets and their families who have suffered through this nightmare--so much heartbreak and so many innocent victims! SteveA, your post with the story and photo of lovely Lucy is deeply touching. I hope that you can take comfort in knowing that you gave her a good home when she needed it and did all you could for her. Our family has included Siamese cats for nearly 40 years, and every one of them has been a sweet, affectionate, playful companion--I'm sure you found this to be true of Lucy as well. We thank God that our two current "babies" have been spared during this horrible crisis, and we hope that no more pets will be afflicted. Thanks to all the Forum members who have provided helpful information and links to updates. Pepper has it right about friends on the Forum!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #75
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default MomCat Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomCat
SteveA, your post with the story and photo of lovely Lucy is deeply touching. I hope that you can take comfort in knowing that you gave her a good home when she needed it and did all you could for her. Our family has included Siamese cats for nearly 40 years, and every one of them has been a sweet, affectionate, playful companion--I'm sure you found this to be true of Lucy as well.
We do miss Lucy, her older sister, Lexi still seems to be doing better. That's Good!

Dianne and I thought we were a little "nuts" with all of our cats, and our attraction (Addiction?)to having them here with us. We are both glad to see we are not alone. Folks on this forum and this thread have been great!

Now... for all you pet lovers.. a little comic relief... you do have to laugh sometimes..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...10199752133027

enjoy
Old 04-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #76
Quilt Lady

Default Love those Meezers . . .

SteveA- your Lucy looked just like our first Siamese, Buffy Foonman. He shared our lives and our donuts for 19 years. He was the best cat in the world! How do you manage to get all of your cats to co-exist? Do you have any "tricks"?

On a side note . . .Have you thought about "Yuki Sticks" for measuring snowfall amounts? I bet they would be a HOT item at ForumFest IV! Especially if you throw in an autographed picture of Yuki himself!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #77
MomCat

Default Meezers rule!--at home and at the lake

Quilt Lady, I almost used the term "Meezers," but I wasn't sure there were Siamese addicts on the Forum who would understand it. Although they never go out (for safety's sake) our boys LOVE being at the lake--especially baking themselves on the sun porch, sniffing the fresh breeze off the water, and watching the birds, chipmunks, squirrels. When we come up from the dock, they greet us at the door and demand attention. Fortunately, most of our guests are cat lovers, too, because for a Meezer, an empty lap is an invitation. And they can out-purr any outboard motor.

SteveA--thanks for sharing the video.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #78
Lin

Default more pet food recalled

I do our town's emergency pet disaster planning group and got this from an email this AM about more recalls.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/delmonte03_07.html
Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #79
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Meezers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomCat
Quilt Lady, I almost used the term "Meezers," but I wasn't sure there were Siamese addicts on the Forum who would understand
MomCat... glad you brought it up... I had no idea what a meezer was.

Then I went back and looked more carefully at a sheet Dianne were given at a pet store in Portsmouth last Saturday. MEEZER EXPRESS They had a display at the store. They told us they have all sorts of prue breed cats that need homes..

We're going to put this up in our area. Check out their website.

(yes honey... I know we have 8 already.. but with 12 you get eggroll... oh it was with 6 you get eggroll... my bad.. )

Name:  meezer  1.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  81.9 KB

SteveA
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #80
Weirs guy

Quote:
(yes honey... I know we have 8 already.. but with 12 you get eggroll... oh it was with 6 you get eggroll... my bad.. )
I think the 12th one becomes the egg roll.

Now?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #81
Flylady

Default Menu Food Class Action Lawsuit

I heard on the news that some attorneys are filing a class action lawsuit against Menu claiming fraud. Does anyone knowany more about that and how does one become part of the action. I really only expect to be reimbursed for the $600.00 vet bills, as nothing can really replace the loss of my cat.
Thanks,
Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #82
The Worm

Default This smells fishy...

CFO of Menu Foods sold about half his shares weeks before massive pet food recall

Associated Press

TORONTO - The chief financial officer of Menu Foods sold about half his shares in the company just three weeks before a massive recall of its pet food products, Canadian insider trading reports show.
CFO Mark Wiens sold 14,000 shares for $89,900 on Feb. 26 and Feb. 27. The shares are now worth about $54,000.

"He feels just awful that this link has been made," company spokesman Sam Bornstein said yesterday.

But Bornstein said Wiens faced a restricted window in which he could sell his shares.

A blackout period related to the company's fourth quarter results prevented Wiens from trading until Feb. 19, Bornstein said. Wiens sought permission in writing from the CEO to trade then, a standard practice, he said.

Wiens currently owns about 17,000 shares.

Menu Foods began getting calls about sick cats around Feb. 26, but Bornstein said Wiens would not have known about them due to the size of the company. The calls didn't cause alarm until a week later.

"He is a highly principled guy and for the amount of money that we are talking about, for him to imperil his career, it just doesn't make any sense," Bornstein said.

"He's a leader of high standards in that company," he said. "That sort of thing would just be completely out of character."

Wiens called it a "horrible coincidence" in Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper. He did not immediately return phone calls yesterday, and Bornstein said Wiens didn't want to talk about his shares any more.

Ontario Securities Commission spokeswoman Carolyn Shaw-Rimmington said the OSC routinely reviews insider trading reports and instances of unusual trading, but does not comment on individual cases.

On March 16, Menu Foods recalled 60 million cans of dog and cat food after the deaths of 16 pets that ate its products, mostly cats. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said tests indicated the food was contaminated.

Menu Foods was the first of at least six companies to recall pet food and treats made with the tainted Chinese wheat gluten. The company has recalled 100 brands of pet food, sold throughout North America under private and major labels.

The FDA has blocked wheat gluten imports from the Chinese company while it investigates.

This week, a large veterinary hospital chain says it recorded a 30 percent increase in kidney failure among cats during the three months that the contaminated pet food was sold.

Banfield, The Pet Hospital, based its analysis upon records collected by more than 615 veterinary clinics.

The analysis suggests that out of every 10,000 cats and dogs seen in Banfield clinics, three suffered kidney failure. The tainted food appears to have been more toxic to cats than to dogs.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #83
jetskier

Post Recall Widens

Now rice is an issue!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070418/pet_f...call.html?.v=4

Jetskier
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #84
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady
I heard on the news that some attorneys are filing a class action lawsuit against Menu claiming fraud. Does anyone knowany more about that and how does one become part of the action. I really only expect to be reimbursed for the $600.00 vet bills, as nothing can really replace the loss of my cat.
Thanks,
If I were you, I'd save any leftover pet food, your pet food receipts, and speak with your own attorney. Though your pet is truly irreplaceable, Menu will be paying big bucks to other victims for their oversights.

Class action suits always pay very well for lawyers, but poorly for victims.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #85
SteveA
Deceased Member

Smile Sorry to not have responded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady
SteveA- your Lucy looked just like our first Siamese, Buffy Foonman. He shared our lives and our donuts for 19 years. He was the best cat in the world! How do you manage to get all of your cats to co-exist? Do you have any "tricks"?

On a side note . . .Have you thought about "Yuki Sticks" for measuring snowfall amounts? I bet they would be a HOT item at ForumFest IV! Especially if you throw in an autographed picture of Yuki himself!!!
QL

Just going back over this thread.... sorry I didn't respond to your message.

As far as co-existing we live by the rule that "dogs have masters... cats have servants" They really do all get along very well without any help from us... we have an Alpha Male.. (named Harley) that seems to rule the house... and an older Male (named Charlie) that always breaks up any fights. He is hugh. (16 pounds).. and he just works his way between any of the cats that seem to want to mix it up....

Our older meezer demands.. (16 named Lexi and very "talky) her food in a certain place , at a certain time.

We are happy that they allow us live in the house... but I suspect that if they could figure out how to work the can opener.... we really wouldn't be needed!

If we have, and do, an empty nest... should we have gotten birds?

The Yuki Sticks are being made... (Great Idea!) and will be on sale at the Forum Fest... all the money going to the Humane Society

On a more serious note... Thanks to Jetskier for posting the latest recall info... sadly this problem just seems to hang around and grow every couple of days.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #86
GWC...

All for the money and none for the pets...

Report has it corn gluten shipped to another country from China also tainted.

The theory being, to boast the protein level and increase the value and price.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #87
GWC...

Update on recall expansion:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopi...od.html#recall

and news updates:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopi...od.html#update
Old 04-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #88
nj2nh

Default And now it is found in pig food

I heard on the radio yesterday (I think) that they have discovered that the tainted stuff ended up in the food farmers fed to pigs that ended up, yup, in the human food chain.

Great.

Jersey Girl
Old 05-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #89
tricia1218

Since all this tainted food thing has been going around, we choose to go organic with our pets food, which seemed like a good idea at the time. We fed our dog leftover prime rib on Sunday. Monday morning he had thrown up, pooped, peed all over the house (which is totally not him) and was shaking all over. We rushed him to our vet. Turns out he is a delicate little guy, and the prime rib was too fatty for him, which caused him to panic (the shaking). Amazing he can eat goose poop and is fine, a little prime rib not so much.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #90
WINDinmySOCKIES

I have been feeding my little guys 3 0r 4lbs(the dogs weigh, not the kibble!) each organic kibble for awhile and am now swithcing over to/adding raw to that. i learned that, dogs aren't meant to eat cooked meat. the beef they get is lean and yes raw. you can find all kinds of info on the web. you can buy raw or just make/use your own.
some dogs or cats can swithch right over, others, have to go a little at a time. Already i see an improvement in coat and breath. I am really amazed!
Although when my dogs were sick and before i had heard of raw, i always used equal parts of lean ground beef and rice and some garlic (good for fleas and ticks) to make my own dog food.
I sure hope your little one is feeling better!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #91
dpg

Default Raw Food

Yes, "Raw" food is supposed to be good for dogs. I've been buying my Weimeraner "Buffalo Bully Sticks" (yes, Buffalo) for sometime now. Hunter goes absolutely nuts over them. I've been buying off a site that sells all kinds of raw/natural products. The Bullies are manufactured by a company called Bravo, I do not believe they take orders from the public. I buy bullies by a box of 30 for $115.00 I think. These are a chew/snack not a full blown meal but you can get anything at the same place.
Closed Thread