Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > ForumFests > ForumFest VII (2010)
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Forum Fest in 2010 ??

Any thoughts to trying to orchestrate another Fest?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Argie's Wife

I think we should do it on the Mt Washington again... that seems so appropriate to me...

And rather than donating to a charity, have we ever considered a scholarship fund?

I'd like to see a scholarship that goes to a student or students from a local high school (maybe Laconia High School or some other area school) that is majoring in an environment-related or history-related field. In other words, I'd like to see us supporting the next generation of lake lovers in their future careers of preserving our lakes - either by way of conservation, history, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

And rather than donating to a charity, have we ever considered a scholarship fund?
The question here is whether or not enough money can be or is generated to really set up a sustainable scholarship. Even if it is only for a couple of hundred dollars to help with the purchase of books. It takes a lot of money to get the scholarship going and self sustaining. Although certainly is not a bad idea.

I just wouldn't want to see a scholarship found set up, that couldn't sustain itself and failed.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
I think we should do it on the Mt Washington again... .
I'd rather see something more informal where people can drop in and drop out and not be stuck on a boat for 3 hours. The forumfest is starting to seem more like a "function" (with tickets etc) than a gathering of friends....but if you guys are OK with that....go for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-26-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree totally with mcdude. I would love to be able to drop in for a while. There are already too many functions and obligations. IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default I'm with McDude

We had more of a turnout when we met on dry land & people could stop by for a brief hello if they had other obligations or could stay and mingle. If we meet on shore we have the option of adjourning to a local watering hole for those who want to party on.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

A few thoughts on the ForumFest:

1. I think it is great to try different venues. Having it on the Mount had some downside but overall it was a great and unique event. Everyone had a good time and we raised a record amount of money for charity ($2025 to the Food Pantry). I personally don't ever think a ride on the Mount on a summer day is being "stuck on a boat" but I know some of you are too busy to commit to a fixed timeframe like that. We can certainly try something different this year.

2. We've been very fortunate to have a member step forward to organize the FF each year. Last year Celia did an amazing job and the year before Krista did the same. Whoever steps forward can decide on when and where with some input from the Forum.

3. The scholarship idea is interesting but I think it may be too complicated for us. Giving out a scholarship has tax and legal implications that would be much more tricky than just handing a charity a donation check. Maybe someone with some knowledge of the legal aspects can comment.

4. I hope someone with some extra time will take the helm this year. The raffle/charity aspect of the FF is the most work. If no one volunteers to take over we could certainly just have a get together. To be honest, my favorite FF was the mini-Forumfest in 2006. There was no preparation or work needed and we all just had a good time talking and eating at the late and great Waldo Peppers.

5. Somehow it comes together every year and hopefully it will this year too. It's the site's 15th birthday and it would be great to celebrate with some of our members.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Pepper (05-09-2010), Redwing (05-26-2010), Ropetow (05-07-2010), SIKSUKR (05-07-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Elacoya

Have you ever had the fest at Elacoya State Park??
Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The question here is whether or not enough money can be or is generated to really set up a sustainable scholarship. Even if it is only for a couple of hundred dollars to help with the purchase of books. It takes a lot of money to get the scholarship going and self sustaining. Although certainly is not a bad idea.

I just wouldn't want to see a scholarship found set up, that couldn't sustain itself and failed.
I'm not looking to establish a trust fund, which is what you're suggesting. Those are set up in a way that makes them come under a certain type of tax shelter and it's generally revenue from the interest that goes into the check for the actual scholarship.

I'm seeing where a lot - and I mean a lot - of scholarships are drying up. Even just a $500 fund to a student in need can make all the difference. Even if it's just something we do once, it will make a difference in someone's life. Perhaps it could cause them to turn around to make a difference for someone else - pay it forward.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
I'd rather see something more informal where people can drop in and drop out and not be stuck on a boat for 3 hours. The forumfest is starting to seem more like a "function" (with tickets etc) than a gathering of friends....but if you guys are OK with that....go for it.
I didn't attend last year - but I could have if it was on land - simply because of time constraints. My 20 year high school reunion was that same day. If the boat had docked just 30 mins sooner, I could have made it to Maine on time. C'est la vie. It looked like a good turn out so that's why I suggested it. I'm open to whatever, really... I don't like formal stuff - let's keep it simple so more can attend.

In looking at my notes from the past couple of years we've consider The Boys & Girls Club (in Laconia) for a charity. That was one that came up last year but we went with the food pantries, which I also thought was a good choice.

I do like the idea of a State Park - like the Ellacoya. But did you know they charge $400 for a gathering of 100? I'd rather go somewhere we can meet for free.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
I do like the idea of a State Park - like the Ellacoya. But did you know they charge $400 for a gathering of 100? I'd rather go somewhere we can meet for free.
Four dollars each... Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
I'm not looking to establish a trust fund, which is what you're suggesting. Those are set up in a way that makes them come under a certain type of tax shelter and it's generally revenue from the interest that goes into the check for the actual scholarship.

I'm seeing where a lot - and I mean a lot - of scholarships are drying up. Even just a $500 fund to a student in need can make all the difference. Even if it's just something we do once, it will make a difference in someone's life. Perhaps it could cause them to turn around to make a difference for someone else - pay it forward.
AW, I'm no expert for sure, I'm sure I'm about to get some of this wrong.

I'm part of a committee in Lake Shore Park that runs an annual Golf Event to raise money for students from LSP. Over the last 10+ years we have handed out over $100K in scholarships.

To make the event "legal" with the IRS we had to set up a 501c, (I think that's the number) that collected the money and distributed it to the various students. The funds must actually be sent to the college for deposit in the students account and the use of the funds is determined by the college. We can't hand a check directly to the student.

We also have to file a set of forms with the IRS to show the distribution and our "non-profit" status.

The benefit to the golf event is that many companys and golfers that sponsor the event want to be able to take the tax benefits of donations to the Scholarship fund. We get more players and sponsors, we raise more money, and more kids get donations.

Hope that made sense, trying to explain taxes gives me a headache.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default I don't have a real preference

If the date is open, I'd love to attend. I've very much enjoyed all three of the ones I was able to attend.

If I had any preference at all, it would be to have the event in the early fall. Summer weekends fill up real quick with friends and family from the "flat land" coming to visit.

I am aware that is not so good for our "summer only" members, and mean no slight to them.

I also like the idea of an "indoor" venue with access to the great outdoors just in case of bad weather on the date of the event.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
LakesRegionSpirit

Easiest way for a local scholarship is to use the Lakes Region Scholarship Foundation. You need not set up anything formal, give them the money and they take it from there.

Why re-invent the wheel.

http://www.lrscholarship.org/
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LakesRegionSpirit For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-08-2010), SteveA (05-06-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesRegionSpirit View Post
Easiest way for a local scholarship is to use the Lakes Region Scholarship Foundation. You need not set up anything formal, give them the money and they take it from there.

Why re-invent the wheel.

http://www.lrscholarship.org/
Exactly - thank you.

I'm a member of several groups that give scholarships and in none of the cases do we have special tax status, etc., - it's more of a case of we give a contribution to a student. No formalities, in other words.

That being said... I'm open to other people's opinions about raising money and to what good it may do for others. We're blessed to be in such a position to do this - really!

Depending on the date of the event I'd be happy to organize the raffle for goodies, as I did a couple of years ago.

I sincerely look forward to see all y'all again. What a great group we have here - let's celebrate it!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
Pineedles

Default Back to Basics Folks

Although I was a big proponent for the Mount Fest last year I understand the time constraints of folks not able to dedicate a number of hours on a venue they can't exit. I was very happy with the money that was raised and hope we can top last year's amount BUT!!! Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture. We all enjoy getting together to meet and greet. Its been several years since I have seen SteveA and AW and would love to see them again, as well as others. Its the 15th anniversary of winni.com and let's just concentrate on setting a date and a place to get together. Just my .02 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (05-07-2010), SteveA (05-07-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Its the 15th anniversary of winni.com and let's just concentrate on setting a date and a place to get together. Just my .02 cents.
I agree.Let's all meet at Pineedles place.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Pineedles

Yes, let's do that and SIKSUKR will provide the food. See how easy that was!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #19
donnamatrix

Default Forum Fest Location

We live in Suissevale, and although it would be nasty to try to have an event on the beach in the summer (too many kids, etc) I could try to get the Suissevale clubhouse which has a great kitchen, big room, huge TV, wetbar, etc. It costs $150 to rent it and they only rent to residents of Suissevale, and it's not far from the Loon Center, although it is on the "other" side of the lake!!! We could do a potluck type of thing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
mcdude (05-08-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (05-08-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
SteveA
Deceased Member

donnamatrix,

I've heard the phrase "Thanks a Million", but 4 plus Billion! I'm impressed!!

Thanked 4,294,967,294 Times in 4,294,967,294 Posts
Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #21
Meredith lady

Default Forum Fest-our 15th year!

Hello Forum Friends-
I am willing to try to head up and organize this years Forum Fest (although Celia's shoes are hard to fill). I have sent a private message to our Webmaster offering the same. I had a great time on the Mount last year, but agree that more people could attend if it was on dry land and they could "come and go" as their schedules permit. Anyone with any input, ideas, suggestions is welcome to post..
As far as a charitable donation..I think we need to keep it simple. Pick one charity, and that's it.
Hope this helps and I am on board.
Happy Mothers Day to all my Forum Mothers!
Laura
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Meredith lady For This Useful Post:
angela4design (05-10-2010), DRH (05-08-2010), eillac@dow (05-15-2010), Just Sold (05-10-2010), Lucky1 (05-09-2010), PapaDon (05-15-2010), Pepper (05-09-2010), Pineedles (05-08-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (05-08-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #22
Hermit Cover

Default Late Summer...Early Fall

Land based...I like the sound of land based! The Mount cruise was great....steerage was nicely decorated and lots of nice folks were there but a building with a foundation would be nice, too. No one has mentioned the chance that with SteveA...in the early Fall...the smell of SteveA's chilli heating in the crock pot....it doesn't get better than that....Count us in....
Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #23
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up We Have a ForumFest VII Leader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
Hello Forum Friends-
I am willing to try to head up and organize this years Forum Fest (although Celia's shoes are hard to fill). I have sent a private message to our Webmaster offering the same. I had a great time on the Mount last year, but agree that more people could attend if it was on dry land and they could "come and go" as their schedules permit. Anyone with any input, ideas, suggestions is welcome to post..
As far as a charitable donation..I think we need to keep it simple. Pick one charity, and that's it.
Hope this helps and I am on board.
Happy Mothers Day to all my Forum Mothers!
Laura
Thanks for stepping up to head this committee Laura! I'd be very happy to help out as best I can.

Water Camper has sent a PM letting me know that she would help out with local business donations for the raffle.

If there is a quilt this year, I propose allowing tickets to be purchased in advance via Pay Pal, so all the members of the Forum might have a chance to win this amazing prize.
For ease of the committee - The quilt would be the only item done this way.

Donnamatrix, your location sounds very interesting!

LakesRegionSpirit
, thanks for the link to the Lakes Region Scholarship Foundation. That certainly makes a scholarship donation possible.

This is going to be a very special 15th Anniversary celebration!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #24
lawn psycho

Depending on date I may make an appearance. I'm still miffed about not being able to make the flotilla of flags in 2001 but my boat was in the shop that day.

I would propose donating to the Aminal Welfare Society.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default I'll help

Please count me in for the event. I'll bring the chili.

Couple of thoughts:

Venue: http://www.belknapmill.org/ This is an excellent piece of Lakes Region. They have a hall that is certainly large enough for the event. I'd be happy to discuss a "deal" with them regarding dates and rates. Plenty of parking and handicap access. Check out the gift shop link on the site. They are using the old equipment to make socks! Very Cool.

Fundraiser: Maybe we have a talented graphics person out here that could design a special 15th Ann. tee shirt/hat? Proceeds to the charity? I vote for the Scholarship the AW discussed.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
Island Girl

Talking Boat Access

The best ForumFests for me have been accessible by boat as well as by car. I love Cate Park because on were on the lake and others can drop in and out easily. We have never paid for a place for our gathering as we have no way of knowing how much money we will collect. I also prefer to be outside. (except the time we went to Lakeshore Park and used that wonderful old pavillion building.)

Just adding an opinion.

Thanks, Meredith Lady, for volunteering to head things up this year. You will find that there are lots and lots of opinions. Just do whatever you think is right and keep it simple. Mostly we need a place and a date and time, and raffle tickets and name tags. Celia may have some left over from last year. The members are great for showing up with tables and food.

I also vote for a September date as summer is so full of "stuff".

IG
Three cheers to Don for keeping this going for 15 years!!!

....... Make Lemonade
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (05-09-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #27
Water Camper

Default Another Possible Location

I checked and the Weirs Community Center, just up the hill from the Weirs, can be rented for $100 plus a $50 refundable deposit. The contact person is Connie and she can be reached at 366-5185. Capacity is 150 people, plenty of parking and it would also be accessible by boat.

On another note, I think a possible recipient for any money raised is the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. Go to www.lrct.org and click on "Protected Land". The list is quite impressive, including locations on Winnipesaukee.

Sue
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #28
Janet

I wonder if September will exclude many of us who travel to the lake in July and August. Our schools here in Texas open the end of August so September is out for us. I attended last year's forum for the first time and would hate to miss it this year if it's held in September.
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #29
Lucky1

May not be here for part of the summer and have a college reunion the long weekend in Oct, but just thinking out loud, wouldn't a fest in summer be most likely to have the greatest number of members able to attend because of the seasonality of the lake?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #30
donnamatrix

Default Weirs Comm Center

I think this sounds fine: It's kind of centrally located, we can do pot luck, we can get there by boat or car... sounds like a plan. Now we just need a date. How about AUGUST 7
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

Default A couple thoughts

First,if a rental fee is needed I would be happy to offer a donation of $50 to get it started as I have a hard time coming up with items worth while to raffle.Second I would be thrilled to wear Quilt Ladys quilt while eating SteveA's chile sitting on Pineedles porch.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #32
Pineedles

OMG what a picture! The grandfatherly SIKSUKR sitting in my great great grandfather's rocking chair with Quilt Lady's shawl over his shoulders, while his nurse plays airplane with the spoon, feeding him SteveA's chile! I love it! I'll kick in the other $50 if this will help.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (05-12-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Date

This being a 15th Anniversary celebration, I vote for a date that our Webmaster might be able to attend! Any suggestions Don?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-12-2010), Meredith lady (05-17-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
OMG what a picture! The grandfatherly SIKSUKR sitting in my great great grandfather's rocking chair with Quilt Lady's shawl over his shoulders, while his nurse plays airplane with the spoon, feeding him SteveA's chile! I love it! I'll kick in the other $50 if this will help.
Hey, I'll pay $100.00 just to see this. If he has a shot of Jagermeister in one hand to wash down the chili, I'll bump it up to $200.00. The picture will be worth way more than that, so I'll consider this a good investment!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #35
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Hey, I'll pay $100.00 just to see this. If he has a shot of Jagermeister in one hand to wash down the chili, I'll bump it up to $200.00. The picture will be worth way more than that, so I'll consider this a good investment!
Your just jealous that I won't play airplane with you.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #36
Janet

Any further news on date, place?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #37
IslandRadio

Thumbs up

I think it would be better to have the ForumFest "on season" - gives everyone another "excuse" to either come to the Lake if not here for the summer... and of course the most number of folks who DO stay for the summer will already be here.

Anyway, just a thought....

It would be kind of cool to have the 'fest on the refurbished Mount (maybe in the newly done over Captain's Room), but I fully understand those who don't want to be captive for that long. Does make a good excuse to take a ride on the Mount with the new engines (as if we need one ) if we did hold it there!

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by IslandRadio; 05-25-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Brainless grammatical mistake the first time around!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #38
Lucky1

The 2009 Fest was held on the Mount and it seems that more people would attend if they could drop in for a shorter time period? This is what I read earlier. I do think it would have more people if it were held during the vacation months. Do not know the history of where other Fests have ocurred or for how long there have even been Forum Fests as I was not a member.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #39
OCDACTIVE

Default just my 2 cents

one place that I know may be a bit controversal but can easily handle boats, cars, bikes is the Naswa. I am sure they would love to have it there. Just this past weekend I saw they had blocked off half the beach for a function and it looked like a great time. Just a thought.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #40
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
one place that I know may be a bit controversal but can easily handle boats, cars, bikes is the Naswa. I am sure they would love to have it there. Just this past weekend I saw they had blocked off half the beach for a function and it looked like a great time. Just a thought.
As much as I like to stop at the Naswa, I don't see that as having the right feel for the FF.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #41
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
As much as I like to stop at the Naswa, I don't see that as having the right feel for the FF.
I would agree with you on a normal day with no prior set up however, they really set it up nicely last weekend with white table clothes and such on half the beach for the function they were holding (not sure what it was but it didn't look like a wedding). It looked really upscale. The reason I pointed it out is that I don't know of another resturant style place that is large enough and that is easily accessible by car, with enough private docks to accomodate a large amount of boats other then the Naswa. All the others I can think of are dependant on town docks availability. I would be up for anywhere, was just throwing out my 2 cents.

Is there at least a date set yet? I don't know if I missed it. Summer is booking up fast!
Pineedles (05-26-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #42
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
The 2009 Fest was held on the Mount and it seems that more people would attend if they could drop in for a shorter time period? This is what I read earlier. I do think it would have more people if it were held during the vacation months. Do not know the history of where other Fests have ocurred or for how long there have even been Forum Fests as I was not a member.
Celia told me where to find it.

September 11, 2004 at Cate Park, Wolfeboro.

September 10, 2005 at Cate Park, Wolfeboro

September 24, 2006 at the Lake Shore Park Pavilion, Gilford

September 8, 2007 at Cate Park, Wolfeboro

September 20, 2008 at The Loon Center, Moultonboro

August 22, 2009 on the M/S Mount Washington
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (05-27-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #43
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I would agree with you on a normal day with no prior set up however, they really set it up nicely last weekend with white table clothes and such on half the beach for the function they were holding (not sure what it was but it didn't look like a wedding). It looked really upscale. The reason I pointed it out is that I don't know of another resturant style place that is large enough and that is easily accessible by car, with enough private docks to accomodate a large amount of boats other then the Naswa. All the others I can think of are dependant on town docks availability. I would be up for anywhere, was just throwing out my 2 cents.

Is there at least a date set yet? I don't know if I missed it. Summer is booking up fast!
I have only been to the naz by boat, but if there is ample car parking then I would agree that it would be a good site for the FF. If adult beverages are not part of the venue then I don't think there would be a problem.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #44
sa meredith

Default the past

Just based on what I have read in the past, FF seems more about people gathering and bringing their own food/non-alcho beverages to share.
I would think the Naswa would expect people to come ready to spend $$$, and drink. Sorta is what they are about. Quite sure they would not want people bringing their own food.
I actually love the idea, but think the majority would fall on the other side.
Just a thought...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #45
Lucky1

Don't know anything about NASWA. What and where is it?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #46
Skip

Post NASWA website

Quote:
Don't know anything about NASWA. What and where is it?
Check out their website HERE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (05-29-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #47
Lucky1

Any news on sites for the fest or a date? If all else fails, I guess the Mount would work as the report of the last one sounded lovely. If some would feel it was too long a confinement, would some of those find a place that would work. I am afraid that it is starting to get late to get a place or is that not the case here?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #48
OCDACTIVE

any plans put in place yet?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #49
LIforrelaxin

Just an idea on location here... why not do something in say Center Harbor??? Reasonable docking... good and easy access for most... etc, etc. etc...
Pineedles (06-17-2010), Redwing (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #50
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Just an idea on location here... why not do something in say Center Harbor??? Reasonable docking... good and easy access for most... etc, etc. etc...
I took the liberty of writing the Center Harbor Parks & Rec. Dept. to ask what they have for facilities. Here's the response:

We have a pavilion at the beach and dock area. It has approx 12 picnic tables. Mens and Ladies rooms available at the location. We could supply power cords to that area. Let me know if this is something that you might be interested in. Will need date and time.

Thanks
Jody D.
Director

-----

What I like about this:
  • It's on the Lake & has dock access as well as land access
  • FREE
  • We can bring our own sippies & munchies
  • Cover from rain or sun
  • Bathrooms to use
  • Folks can come and go as they please

I'm for it...

And how about on Saturday, August 28? Whatsayyou?

p.s.
I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder for organizing this or whatever, but the sooner we agree on a location and date, the quicker we can focus on what counts - food! (And Quilt Lady's quilt for the year... YES!) I'm a good gopher... (go for this, go for that...)
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
RLW (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #51
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Center Harbor a great idea!!

I love the idea of having the FFest in Center Harbor. Might we also consider August 14th or the 21st.... the 28th might be difficult for some. I'll bring stuffed breads from New Haven, and am getting hungry just thinking about them. AW, thanks so much for exploring the Center Harbor options.....you are wonderful to garner all that information. Sounds like a very workable location!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #52
Argie's Wife

Any date in August is good, really. I'm into when the MAJORITY of folks can come. I think if we hold it before Labor Day, perhaps the turn-out will be better. Sounds like we had a bumper crop of attendees last year.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #53
donnamatrix

Default August date?

I think August 28 might be hard for some folks also - kids will probably be getting back to school... I like the Center Harbor idea, but it IS at the public beach and there is limited boat dock space, which is true of most everywhere!! But How about August 21 or 14?.

I will bring my award winning (and Vita Bene and Cristen can attest) YUMMY salsa and some other stuff.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #54
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default August dates

I agree, that any Saturday in August which yields the highest return is the way to go. Shall anxiously await word back from other Forum members and hopefully confirm a date soon. The weeks and months are melting away, and once July 4th comes and goes.... well.....we all know how quickly July/August pass....poof!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #55
fatlazyless

Cool Is it Centre Harbor or Center Harbor or Senter Harbor?

Centre Harbor is a super spot because it offers up a large sandy beach, and what could be the largest floating, all-vinyl construction, off-shore swim raft as a not-so-small piece of their lifeguarded public swim area.

Centre Harbor opens up the possibility of kayaking too, because there's no ten dollar fee to unload a kayak either off the docks, or off the loading ramp. One other kayaking plan would be to park your car at the no-charge, Leavitt Beach (Town of Meredith) parking lot on the Meredith-Centre Harbor town line and then paddle over to the Centre Harbor town beach area.

Another possibility; unload the kayak in the circular driveway right near the beach and the docks, and park the car up the hill a quarter-mile, up back of Heath's super market. Lots and lots of parking up that way, behind the Coe House & Heath's.

Basketball anyone?.....a full size basketball court is right there.....don't forget the basketball! Ditto that for tennis...two tennis courts...just up the hill about three miles.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #56
eillac@dow

Nice Job AW.

I think the Center Harbor location sounds good.

My mom and I attended our first FF last year and look forward to attending our next. The 28th should be ok for me.....but then it is not all about me! To Donnamatrix' point, the earlier weekends may be better.

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #57
SIKSUKR

Default Way to go AW

Center Harbor is great idea. It's nice to change it up. Lets see..Wolfeboro, Gilford, Moultonborough, Laconia,and now CH. Good choice. As usual I have to work but I might be able to get there for a few hours before.
Greene's Basin Girl (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #58
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Center Harbor is great idea. It's nice to change it up. Lets see..Wolfeboro, Gilford, Moultonborough, Laconia, and now CH. Good choice. As usual I have to work but I might be able to get there for a few hours before.
The 14th isn't good for me, but any other dates in August are fine. Center Harbor would be a great place to hold the gathering. One can come by car or boat---although the boat parking is limited.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #59
Just Sold

I think the 28th in Center Harbor is a good choice. I do not remember having a FF at the end of Aug so this may allow some to come who were never able to in the past.

Now it is the last day of my vacation in Alton so I may have to arrive packed for home but I would plan to be there.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #60
Janet

Wondering if this will be the last day of vacation for many members. I'll be flying back to Texas that day. Maybe the 14th or 21st would be better.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #61
Argie's Wife

It's sounding like August 21 is the better choice, eh?

(Channeling my Canadian influences today...)

I'll lock in the location with Center Harbor Parks & Rec.

The more I think about it - the more fitting this is... we've had many a thread about the town. Besides, Keepsake Quilting is in the town - that's probably Mecca to Quilt Lady.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #62
ghfromaltonbay

Default Aug. 14th is better for me

Last year the Forum Fest was on Aug. 22nd and that weekend is not good for me coming from NJ. If it is again on that weekend that locks me out for a 2nd year in a row. I vote for the 14th if it is to be in August. The first few years the Forum Fest was held the Saturday after Labor Day and we never had problems getting a nice big crowd. Just check the pictures from Cate Park of the early FF's.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #63
Redwing
Deceased Member

Default August date

I vote for August 21st. Thanks so much AW, for taking this on!!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #64
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Time for a poll

Seems like a poll is in order.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (06-23-2010), secondcurve (06-27-2010)
Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #65
OCDACTIVE

My vote is for the 21st.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #66
LIforrelaxin

I am voting for the 21st or 28th.... it is a no can do on the 14th.....
Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #67
angela4design

This sounds like a great location! August 14th or the 21st works!

Are there any restrictions regarding adult beverages there, if someone wants a cool rack of beer? Glass restrictions, etc? (Market and liquor store right nearby.)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #68
Pineedles

Default Ff

Any date is fine for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #69
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Seems like a poll is in order.
That's what this is.... post what works for you. I'll add more dates, suggestions for dates, etc. as they come up.

Majority rules.

As of right now we have:

10 attendees for August 14 = Redwing, donnamatrix, ghfromaltonbay, angela4design, Pineneedles, Argie's Wife, eillac@dow, DRH, Quilt Lady, Lucky1

12 attendees for August 21 = Redwing, donnamatrix, Green Basin's Girl, angela4design, OCDACTIVE, LIforrelaxin, Pineneedles, Argie's Wife, eillac@dow, DRH, Quilt Lady, Lucky1

8 attendees for August 28= JustSold, LIforrelaxin, eillac@dow, Green Basin's Girl, Pineneedles, Argie's Wife, DRH, Quilt Lady

AFTER LABOR DAY = ghfromaltonbay

Angela4Design - it's pubic property so no adult beverages. However, if you wish to go for Tikki Bowls at China Bistro after the event, I'd be glad to join ya!

Y'all - The kudos for the location of Center Harbor (Senter Harbor) should go to LIforrelaxin - I just wrote an email to see if it was "a go" and what our costs might be. The idea wasn't mine - but I think it's a great one. Thanks LIforrelaxin for bringing it up!

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 06-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #70
eillac@dow

I am open for the 28th, but I can probably do the other weekends as well. Just let us know. I am local (MA) so I am happy to work around any of the dates.

I am just looking forward to meeting a few more Forum Friends. My mom...the "silent listener" will be with me and I know she is anxious to meet "those few" in person as well.

Looking forward to the next get together!

eillac (allie C)
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #71
DRH

Default Any Date

Any date is fine with Quilt Lady and me.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #72
Lucky1

As far as I know at this time any of the August weekends would work. That said, I do think that if there are children involved, some might find the 28th too close to the start of school. But just post when it is decided and I will do my best to go with bells on!

As I have never been can someone post the kinds of food that we bring? I am so looking forward to seeing the folks here who always seem so helpful and so neighborly. I guess the Forum is sort of like a neighborhood in many ways. Thanks to all for this Forum.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #73
Redwing
Deceased Member

Default Don our webmaster

Any word on what date(s) might work for our amazing webmaster, Don?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #74
Argie's Wife

Quote:
As I have never been can someone post the kinds of food that we bring?
Oh the food.

Glorious food.

If you've ever been to a church pot-luck or a family reunion where everyone brings a dish - this is like one of those functions.

First there's Steve's chili. It rocks. And did I mention that Steve makes great chili? Yup.

Seriously - it's a "bring it and share it" thing. We have every everything from crackers & cheese, chips & dip, fruit salad, cakes, crock-pot stews, finger sandwiches, cookies, and the list goes on. We will make a list as folks post what they're bringing.

As I said earlier, there's no adult beverages allowed - usually because we're on public property (not because we're prudes... and maybe this is out of respect to those who can't/don't drink... keep it simple, ya know.)

In addition to food...

We have a raffle for charity.

The items are donated from members and we've had some wonderful entries - books of poetry about Lake Winnipesaukee, collectors' plates, free parking passes for Fisher Cats games, framed photographs - and the highlight is usually a handmade quilt by our own Quilt Lady. She does wonderful work and I envy her talent!

So, if you have something that might be of interest to others and you wish to help raise money for a good cause, bring it to raffle. We sell tickets and at the end of the fest, we draw winning tickets. The money from ticket sales is what is donated to a local charity (which will we probably be deciding on next, after we nail down a date.)
Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #75
Island Girl

Default 14th is my mother's 90th birthday

I think I will be in MA that weekend... not sure yet. I always like September but will show up most any time.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #76
Lucky1

On the topic of the raffle, I was thinking that a dinner for two at a nice restaurant would work???? I would think that many restaurants have gift certificates that one can purchase for the dollar amount you wish to donate.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #77
ghfromaltonbay

Default Aug. 14th, Aug. 28th or after Labor Day

All of these weekends are ok with me. The only problem is 8/21.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #78
robmac

I vote for the 21st
Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #79
Meredith lady

Default Ff

I seriously dropped the ball after offering to "head up" the forum fest. Busy with work, college kids and their wisdom teeth, opening the Pier,...I know!! Too many excuses!!
Any date is fine for me, but if I had to choose I would think more people could attend the 14th or the 21st-either date is fine with me.
I LOVE the idea of Center Harbor Beach-a great choice!!
I will still plan to help out (or head up) the raffle end of things-our next step (after choosing the date and time) is to decide the charity. Personally, I like the food pantries-I know Meredith had an article in the paper just last week saying how bare their shelves are. Maybe donations to several food pantries in the Lakes Region? I will offer to bring folding tables (to save the picnic tables for seating) to put out our food and raffle items. Thanks to all of you for taking the ball and running with it-please know I am still in the loop!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meredith lady For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-28-2010), Pineedles (06-27-2010), Redwing (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #80
Argie's Wife

Meredith Lady - Please, no apology necessary. I think this forum likes to kick around ideas for a while before settling on something.

It's kinda like herding cats:

Cat Herding - More free videos are here

Anyhow, you're more than welcome to jump in, etc. the water is warm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Center Harbor Parks & Rec Dept asked me if we'd like to have that public spot reserved for a day in August. I'd like to book it before someone else does because we've made some progress here on a decision.

Last call: Anyone have a problem with August 21 for the date of the 2010 Forum Fest?

I'll nail this down for us, if there's no major objections, on Thursday (7/1/10).

Whatsayyou?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #81
Janet

21st sounds good. Thanks Argie's Wife.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #82
Redwing
Deceased Member

Default 21st sounds great

Can't wait!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #83
LIforrelaxin

AW, the 21st sounds like a plan.... Thanks for taking my idea and running with it...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #84
ghfromaltonbay

Default Still no for 8/21

For the 2nd year in a row, the weekend of 8/21-22 is not good for me. If the beach at Center Harbor is crowded on a hot Saturday, do we have to share the pavilion with all the people there? After all, it is the town beach and other folks may want a table in the shade. There are 10 or 12 picnic tables under the roof, but I think others may want access as well as our group.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #85
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
I seriously dropped the ball after offering to "head up" the forum fest. Busy with work, college kids and their wisdom teeth, opening the Pier,...I know!! Too many excuses!!
Any date is fine for me, but if I had to choose I would think more people could attend the 14th or the 21st-either date is fine with me.
I LOVE the idea of Center Harbor Beach-a great choice!!
I will still plan to help out (or head up) the raffle end of things-our next step (after choosing the date and time) is to decide the charity. Personally, I like the food pantries-I know Meredith had an article in the paper just last week saying how bare their shelves are. Maybe donations to several food pantries in the Lakes Region? I will offer to bring folding tables (to save the picnic tables for seating) to put out our food and raffle items. Thanks to all of you for taking the ball and running with it-please know I am still in the loop!!
I am willing to help Meredith Lady with the Forum Fest, but I can't help if it is August 14th. The 21st is fine with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (07-02-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #86
Just Sold

Argie's Wife:
"Center Harbor Parks & Rec Dept asked me if we'd like to have that public spot reserved for a day in August. I'd like to book it before someone else does because we've made some progress here on a decision.

Last call: Anyone have a problem with August 21 for the date of the 2010 Forum Fest?

I'll nail this down for us, if there's no major objections, on Thursday (7/1/10).

Whatsayyou? "

I say 8/21 is fine but what times. The time could be a problem for me as check-in is 2:00 PM for my cottage rental.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #87
Argie's Wife

Just Sold - I've looked at the times we've reserved before and it's something like noon time to about 3pm. I

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ghfromaltonbay - I'm basing this on the majority of the votes.

At this point, anyhow - most posters have indicated that 8/21 would work best for them. Several of posters have stated that any of the dates work. If more people speak against 8/21, I'd be happy to change it. I feel badly that you're going to miss it but please know that this isn't set "in stone" but the most popular date so far. Thanks for understanding.

By the way - The area would be RESERVED just for us by Parks & Recs - but the more the merrier, in my opinion. They've offered to supply us with extension cords and whatever else we may need for our event.

Two years ago, when we had the fest at the Loon Center, we had some "party crashers" - they ended up buying raffle tickets and had a blast hanging out with us. Nice folks.

Anyone who loves the lake is welcome as far as I'm concerned!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #88
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Just Sold - I've looked at the times we've reserved before and it's something like noon time to about 3pm. I
I think that having it over a two or three hour period is the way to go... I know myself that with Kids, who will want to be on the water, I will probably not stay long, but by having it lakeside I should at least be able to stop by and tie up for an hour or so....
Old 06-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #89
Pineedles

I just thought about something. Beacause of the location, we can go swimming!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #90
Meredith lady

Default Things are shaping up!!

AW-Thank you again for taking the ball and running with it! I think the 21st is perfect and Center Harbor Beach is a great location! People can come by boat or car and there is plenty to do at the beach. I think we should have it from 1-4 p.m. I don't think we need a huge RSVP thing...it just gets more complicated. Anyone who can make it, great. Bring along a snack to share and pack your cooler! Any donations for the raffle could be dropped at my home, at Kevin's in Moultonboro or the Pier, or simply brought that day to the Fest. I will bring folding tables and display all the raffle items. RG did a great job last year and I think her plan was perfect. You purchase tickets and "drop" them in the container near the item you hope to win. We could have the "auctioning" of the raffle around 3 p.m. (and no, you don't have to be present to win...we will find you if you are not there!). I guess the only thing to decide is the charity who will benefit from the proceeds of the raffle. Again, I think majority rules. Anyone with a charity in mind, please post in the next week and a decision will be made based on the numbers. I will open a new thread for your input. (Hey, Don, if I put it in the wrong place, please feel free to move me!!). Looking forward to the 21st!!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #91
OCDACTIVE

Default charity idea

Donating to the Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron would be a good cause. It is a group of volunteers giving free safety inspections to boaters to prevent issues before they happen.

just my 2 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (06-29-2010), Winnigirl (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #92
DRH

I think the funds raised should go to an actual charitable organization.
Meredith lady (06-29-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #93
Meredith lady

ocdactive-thanks for your reply-duly noted. I opened another thread under FF 2010 asking for suggestions for the raffle charity of one's choice. Have a great day!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #94
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Two years ago, when we had the fest at the Loon Center, we had some "party crashers" - they ended up buying raffle tickets and had a blast hanging out with us. Nice folks.
[/I]
They also won a few prizes to their surprize.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #95
Argie's Wife

Default Plans have been finalized

I just contacted Center Harbor Parks & Rec Department with the request to reserve the pavilion area on.... (drum roll please...)

Saturday, August 21
from 1 to 4pm
Hope to see you there!

There's a thread going about the charity choices now... I'm going to start one for the food sign-ups and one for the raffle items... but after that I'm stepping back and letting someone else at this... my summer schedule is maxed out and I can't give much more time to this event (other than attending...)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
bclaker (07-05-2010), Lucky1 (07-02-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #96
Meredith lady

Default Let's keep it simple, folks!!

The date and time are posted for the Forum Fest. Those are the important things! Mark your calendars, everyone!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #97
pcmc

Vitabene, thanks for the link to this thread.(from "Time to say Thanks" thread)

This sounds like a great get together, we can't wait!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #98
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
Vitabene, thanks for the link to this thread.(from "Time to say Thanks" thread)

This sounds like a great get together, we can't wait!
pcmc, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum
pcmc (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #99
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
pcmc, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum
RLW, Thankyou for the welcome. To use a quote from my six year old, "We don't like the forum.......We Love It!!!"lol.
Closed Thread