Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
IslandRadio

Unhappy Verizon Wireless Problems? No 4G?

Last year, Verizon Wireless constructed a new cell site near Gunstock, which gave a very strong signal to everyone on the Western side of Rattlesnake Island (facing Gilford).

This year, the phone signal is VERY strong, but there appears to be no 4G along with it. We bounce between 1X and NO Internet at all.

Anyone know what's going on or has anyone noticed this? At least in this general area, Verizon 4G/3G is completely unavailable.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We are on the west side of Welch right now and have strong 4G on both phones with Verizon. I'm sure that the signal is from the tower by Gunstock. We will be traveling the bypass later to Belmont and then back on 11A past Gunstock. I'll try to remember to check my phone.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
jazzman

Very excellent Verizon 4g on the SW side of Big Barndoor... 10mb down and about 5mb up. I was tethered to it for several days this week with no loss of signal.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Slickcraft

We did the morning drive from Glendale to Planet Fitness in Belmont then to West Alton via 11A. Solid Verizon 4G all the way. We live here year round and only on rare occasions has the service dropped from 4G to 3G since 4G became available here. If you still don't have 4G today, probably a phone issue.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Sal

Just checked. Near Buzzell Cove, no 4G. For the past couple of years, we've always had strong 4G.

Maybe it's on strike . . . .
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
IslandRadio

It happens on 3 phones - no 4G or no Internet access at all ! The 1X signal is weak, and of course slow when working at all.

It was like this when we first came to Rattlesnake, and then Verizon put in the new site. Everything was Ok until this year.

Usually it does not good to contract Verizon, but I may try anyway.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
wifi

Maybe the particular antenna facing Rattlesnake has a problem ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Maybe the particular antenna facing Rattlesnake has a problem ?
That's definitely what it looks like!
Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
Last year, Verizon Wireless constructed a new cell site near Gunstock, which gave a very strong signal to everyone on the Western side of Rattlesnake Island (facing Gilford).

This year, the phone signal is VERY strong, but there appears to be no 4G along with it. We bounce between 1X and NO Internet at all.

Anyone know what's going on or has anyone noticed this? At least in this general area, Verizon 4G/3G is completely unavailable.
The cell tower near Gunstock is not new. We have been getting data service from it on West Welch for many years, first 1X then 3G and finally 4G about 2 years ago.

There is a new tower in Alton, don't know if Verizon is a player on it. There was a thread on the Alton tower status about a year ago. Could your strong 1X signal be from a tower other than Gunstock maybe the Alton tower?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Lil' Barndoor Guy

I've been frustrated by Verizon for years! I get a strong signal (4-5 Bars) on Lil'
Barndoor, yet I seldom get in coming calls and to dial out, I have to push send/end many times. I'm wishing to cancel my land line service but if I do no one will reach me. I've tried to call verizon but get no answers! Very Frustrating!!!!!!!!!
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
rscalzo

There was an update procedure *288 or something to that effect that updates your phone and cell sites. You may want to try that.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Lakegeezer

Default Verizon update

After seeing Sal's note and seeing I had 3G too, I called Verizon tech support. They figured out my phone was set to Global mode rather than LTE only, and after a reboot, 4G-LTE came up, so they were convinced that they fixed the problem. I'm not! It has been on Global mode for over 6 months and I see 4G plenty. This area has too many weak spots, especially the influx of people we get on weekends.

The *228 fix that rscalso mentions used to work, but I've heard that with 4G-LTE, it is no longer needed. It probably can't hurt. When I just tried it, I got a message saying "A Verizon Wireless SIM card has activated your service and updated your phone's roaming capabilities". Yet, here I sit with 1 bar (well, two if you want to count the cabinet above the stove )
Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
Sal

Default Try this . . . .

This seems strange: If I turn off the Wi-Fi, 4G pops up ready to go.
When I turn the Wi-Fi back on, 4G disappears.
A built-in money saver?? A bit of a stretch to credit Verizon for that . . . .
but who knows.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default New tower is up and running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The cell tower near Gunstock is not new. We have been getting data service from it on West Welch for many years, first 1X then 3G and finally 4G about 2 years ago.

There is a new tower in Alton, don't know if Verizon is a player on it. There was a thread on the Alton tower status about a year ago. Could your strong 1X signal be from a tower other than Gunstock maybe the Alton tower?
The new Alton tower that is above the Echo Point area is up and running. I don't get quite as good a signal of it on Verizon as my kids do on ATT, however both my wife and I have 3 bars of 4G, and can make and receive phone calls.

I too had a problem with my 4G and just before calling Verizon or going to the Verizon store in Rochester, I went down through all my settings and noticed that the phone was set to global. Changed it to LTE, and no problems since. Not sure how it got onto Global, but am once again a happy camper.

Not sure the new Alton tower would give much coverage to the west end of Rattlesnake due to terrain obstructions and distance.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
The new Alton tower that is above the Echo Point area is up and running. I don't get quite as good a signal of it on Verizon as my kids do on ATT, however both my wife and I have 3 bars of 4G, and can make and receive phone calls.

Not sure the new Alton tower would give much coverage to the west end of Rattlesnake due to terrain obstructions and distance.
Just for additional info, I'm also with Verizon and am getting 2 bars of 4G in West Alton on the mainland between Minge Cove and Smalls Cove.
upthesaukee (05-11-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #16
Misha888

Default Have you tried . . .

*228 the re-triangulation feature?

We have PagePlus a VMNO. $30 a month. Verizon signal (hubs has 3G, I have 4G) and it's strong here on Varney Point. Of course, unless the sun is shining on the ice, and we all know we won't be having that issue anytime soon.

Hope you find a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post

Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
goldengirl

Default Frustrating

I had always wanted to switch to Verizon because we have so many issues with Sprint at the lakes region, but after reading the posts it doesn't seem like that would be a good choice.
We live in Meredith and are usually able to make phone calls with our Sprint service but very seldom are able to access Wi-Fi on our cell phones. That combined with the intermittent Fair-point service - makes it very difficult to do work from our lake house or even just surf the web.
If anyone knows of any service providers that are more dependable around the lake I'd love to know of them.
Thank you!
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #18
Lakeboater

Default WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl View Post
I had always wanted to switch to Verizon because we have so many issues with Sprint at the lakes region, but after reading the posts it doesn't seem like that would be a good choice.
We live in Meredith and are usually able to make phone calls with our Sprint service but very seldom are able to access Wi-Fi on our cell phones. That combined with the intermittent Fair-point service - makes it very difficult to do work from our lake house or even just surf the web.
If anyone knows of any service providers that are more dependable around the lake I'd love to know of them.
Thank you!
I don't understand why you can't access WiFi on your phone. Do you have it turned on in settings? WiFi in a smartphone doesn't require any cell service.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
Misha888

Default Verizon works . . .

excellent in Meredith. I just use PagePlus (who is a Verizon provider) because it's a huge cost savings and I can deal with the quirkiness of it.

Quote:
Thank you!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #20
Slickcraft

Quote:
Thank you!
If you search for other threads on cell service you will find that Verizon in the best in this area. We live here year round and always have had excellent service here in West Alton, out on Welch and driving anywhere in the area.

IMHO, most issues on this thread had to do with individual phone settings. And yes wifi has nothing to do with cell service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-13-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #21
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
excellent in Meredith. I just use PagePlus (who is a Verizon provider) because it's a huge cost savings and I can deal with the quirkiness of it.
Notwithstanding my minor 4G issue (which in fact may be something which an update may have caused on my phone - I'll know this weekend when I come up to the lake), Verizon is definitely the best in this area, and probably in all of New England.

Very few dead spots, and almost no dropped calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
IslandRadio

Well, we're back here and sure enough - ONLY 1x is available - or nothing.

Last year - 4g no problem and with a solid signal, so something is different. Happens with ALL phones - iPhones and Droids, so it's not the phones. Have checked it with 5 phones so far.

Time to call Verizon, I guess.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
bruinsfan

What areas seem to have lost the 4g connectivity the most?
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #24
RockHopster

Driving through Gunstock Acres and had 2 calls fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockHopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

http://thecitizen.villagesoup.com/p/...region/1397671

Seems like US Cellular is expanding in the Lakes region to 4G LTE coverage. I wonder if Verizon will be sharing the same towers.

I had 4Glte in my living room when they came out. Now I my phone is hovering between 3G and 1x and I even get the 'no voice roaming' on my HTC!

A call to Verizon with a ridiculous claim of possible interference in the house?

Maybe I should switch to US Cellular?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay

As I sit here in my livingroom, my Verizon Samsung S3 has 4G 3 bars, as always. Since I have had this phone, I have had 4G signal. I get 4G at Lochmere while golfing. Dining at Cactus Jacks, we had 4G. Cooking at the Lakeside, across from the Gilford Walmart, we only get 3G, and only one or two bars. Don't believe the latter is a service issue, only a line of sight problem between the location and a Verizon antenna.

FWIW.