Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
BostonWhaler

Default Jo Greens in Wolfeboro

Hadn't been to this place in years, so my partner and I figured we'd give it a shot today after some shopping in town. We were looking for a quick beverage and snack before walking the town a bit more before dinner, and were sorely disappointed.

We walked into the third floor hoping to sit outside, were greeted by the first bartender that promptly told us to "wait". Shortly after the second bartender greeted us, I asked if there was service on the patio, and she affirmed and said she'd be right out to get our order.

We waited 15 minutes and I headed back in, asked for service again, and the barkeep said he'd be right out. Another ten minutes later, we walked out, with the bartender visibly noticing our departure (with a smile no less... what the heck?).

All we wanted were a few drinks and perhaps a couple apps at a place we could sit outside overlooking the docks. Apparently they did not want our business.

All said, we went to Garwoods instead, and the service and food was fantastic... And they were much busier than the "upper deck" at Jo Greens. Big up to them!
BostonWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Unhappy I've Never Been But...

...when I was on the Forum a few weeks ago asking for good places to eat in Wolfeboro (staying there for a month this summer), one of our Forum members told me to "stay far, far away from Jo Greens."

I agree with you; it looks like a great place to eat and enjoy the view of the town docks. It's too bad you were treated like that.

Does anyone else have any feedback on Jo Greens?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Strike out

I gave Jo Greens three tries over about 5 years and never had a good experience. I think we got poor service only once, but never got good service, and the food was never anything to write home about. Too bad, because they have a great location.

I finally gave up and haven't been back.
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
jrc

Ok, I have to jump to their defense. Jo Greens is my wife's favorite light place to eat. We always eat on the second floor, so maybe the upper deck is different. We always get a nice table overlooking our boat on the docks. The food is mostly roll-ups, soups and salads. The main reason she loves them is the quiche. The service is always great. I'm surprised that they didn't even wait on you, that would really set me off.

If we want something a little hardier we go to Garwoods. And now we like the Bayside Grill.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonWhaler View Post
Hadn't been to this place in years, so my partner and I figured we'd give it a shot today after some shopping in town. We were looking for a quick beverage and snack before walking the town a bit more before dinner, and were sorely disappointed.

We walked into the third floor hoping to sit outside, were greeted by the first bartender that promptly told us to "wait". Shortly after the second bartender greeted us, I asked if there was service on the patio, and she affirmed and said she'd be right out to get our order.

We waited 15 minutes and I headed back in, asked for service again, and the barkeep said he'd be right out. Another ten minutes later, we walked out, with the bartender visibly noticing our departure (with a smile no less... what the heck?).

All we wanted were a few drinks and perhaps a couple apps at a place we could sit outside overlooking the docks. Apparently they did not want our business.

All said, we went to Garwoods instead, and the service and food was fantastic... And they were much busier than the "upper deck" at Jo Greens. Big up to them!
It has always been a substandard restaurant as far back as I can recall. I haven't had lunch on the second floor for years. I stopped in on the third floor last year and your description is exactly what I experienced then. Also, the place was dirty and in desperate need of paint. Why anyone would go to Joe Greens when the Bayside, The Restaurant and Garwoods are options is beyond me?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
jack1706

We stopped going there a few years back...

we were treated the same way... ignored !!

I can't remember ever having anything good to eat there...

so, we never go there ..Can't stand to be ignored..Help was busy doing nothing in my opinion. I never saw anyone in charge there...

such a great spot too... what a shame!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default So So

We have picked and chosen our times to go there...Service has been ok most of the time we have gone, always sitting on the second floor and almost always outside on the balcony. It seems the busier they were, the level of service tended to go downhill. Not sure if it was the wait staff or perhaps the kitchen not able to keep up.

Food quality: Ok...we have never gone to Jo Green's looking for a gourmet meal, and don't try to compare it to Garwood's or The Restaurant. We have ended up going to the Dockside far more often the Jo Greens, more a matter of nostalgia, although we (better half and I) feel the service is better at the Dockside.

Bottom line for us: if it's busy in Wolfeboro, and the balcony at Jo Green's looks busy, we probably will go elsewhere.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Steveo

Wife and I both love Jo Green's for lunch. Second floor. Service might be a tad slow but we always sit on balcony and enjoy the view too much to complain. Food is good but tough to mess up wraps and fries. Never been for dinner or on the third floor.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
NHKathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro Matt View Post
I gave Jo Greens three tries over about 5 years and never had a good experience. I think we got poor service only once, but never got good service, and the food was never anything to write home about. Too bad, because they have a great location.

I finally gave up and haven't been back.

same here....
(great location - I wish they were better - I'll stick with Garwoods!)
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
sunset on the dock

I've always been partial to Jo Greens because of the view as well. Don't know if I ended up there today because I've been reading about it here lately or just coincidentally. I ate on the 3rd floor balcony for the first time. The third floor does indeed look a bit grubby incl. bathrooms. I was waited on quickly and had ordered the chicken quesadia(? sp) which hit the spot though I admit was not terribly inspired. Friendly service. I have to say when I go out to eat the view/ambiance takes precedence. Maybe it's because my wife is a great cook so I have plenty of gourmet meals such that I don't feel I need to go for a home run every time I go out to eat. I'd go back for lunch. As someone alluded to, it's pretty hard to screw up rthings like burgers and fries.

BTW, todays lunchtime entertainment was watching the millfoil harvest around the town docks.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
camp guy

Default Jo Greens in Wolfeboro

I don't care how fantastic the view is, I don't care what the entertainment is, Jo Green's is disgusting, always has been, and shows no signs of improvement while being owned and managed by the present individual.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Dr. Gonzo

I do believe that I can give some perspective on Jo Green's......the food, don't eat it. The bar = the best in town. I've never gotten a bad drink there and they have pool and music and video games and whatnot.....which no other bar in town has. The drinks are always "well made" and the environment is usually friendly. I would recommend Jo Green's to anyone looking for a decent bar experience, but not for anyone looking for a gourmet meal. Seriously, don't eat the food.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Gonzo For This Useful Post:
BackBay (07-31-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I do believe that I can give some perspective on Jo Green's......the food, don't eat it. The bar = the best in town. I've never gotten a bad drink there and they have pool and music and video games and whatnot.....which no other bar in town has. The drinks are always "well made" and the environment is usually friendly. I would recommend Jo Green's to anyone looking for a decent bar experience, but not for anyone looking for a gourmet meal. Seriously, don't eat the food.
DG:

I think that is pretty good advice. Just think what the kitchen looks like! If the bathrooms look as they do you can be sure the kitchen is the same. That being said, beer and pool on the third floor is probably a safe bet.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
NHBoat70

Default Jo Greens only good for the view

I went to Jo Greens with a friend for dinner and had one of the worst dining experiences ever. The food was WAY overpriced for the portions and quality of the product (they must have to charge an arm and a leg to pay for the waterfront property). They also screwed up my friend's order, giving her a chicken wrap, when in fact she ordered a chicken breast dinner. The salad bar was alright, but the regular dinner was poor. The only way I'll ever go back is if I go to the third floor bar...I don't think they can mess up a beer, unless they don't know how to pour there.
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote