Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Cool Making snow @ WV

Looks like today's the first day for sno making up on the top of WV. It might show it on the Snowy Owl cam.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Post Openings

I heard Killington and Sunday River are open. According to www.skinh.com Bretton Woods is open, but not confirmed. Loon and Attitash/Bear Peak is scheduled to open Thanksgiving weekend. I plan to stay at the ski lodge in Woodstock that weekend to get the legs in shape for the ski season. The almanacs predicted a snowy winter. That reminds me of the 2000/2001 season where Loon was open on April 29. The lake was declared ice out on May 5th. That year a bunch of us went to Killington to ski one May morning. We return to the lake to waterski that afternoon.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Default Summit County CO

Greetings,

I just got back from skiing in CO. On Sunday Breckeniridge got 120" of natural snow accumulated. 3" fell the night before and I was in heaven! Monday, was the same another 3" fell. I felt good enough to try the bowls. Tuesday was balmy weather. 54 degrees in Denver. I decide to do the China Bowl in Vail. It was wet snow at the base but was almost white-out conditions in the bowls. I had to ski the trees to see anything.
Wednesday, I skied Keystone under partly cloudy skies. It was wicked nice as about 6" fell the night before. Thursday was back to Breck. I skiied a half day and went downtown to join the locals for the ULLR festivities. That was a blast!
Friday, not a cloud in the sky! I opt for Copper Mountain as the scenery is breathtaking. Now I know the true meaning of 'Colorado Blue'. The sky was a deep blue. The bowls were superb. The glades in the 'Boneyard' were awesome! We had a big party back at the house Friday night so I wasn't up to par Saturday. So I skied another half-day followed be a soak in the jacuzzi under a sky bursting with stars! It felt like heaven!
Sunday was filled with mixed emotions. As much as I love CO, my heart is here in the Lakes Region.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Utah too

Have to agree with you. Colorado is wonderful! Just got back from Utah, and there too, it is amazing. 130 inch base and the moon is whiter than I've ever seen. More clear than we see at the lake, because there, its so much higher in altatude. No ice - serious steeps - and unlimited terrain. Waterville is nice because it is close, but it is hard to compare it to the west.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

You guys should treat yourself to some catskiing in British Columbia.I've been going for seven years and it is like nothing else.Fresh knee-deep tracks every run for as long as you are there.Talk about powda.Over 700 inches of the white stuff every year.Four more weeks and I'm drownng in it!! SS
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Default heli-Skiing

A buddy of mine owns a huey and does excursions out on the BugABoos. He says the best time to go is in April. The avalanche wornings are gone and there are plenty of snow and sunshine. I'll see you then!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Cool send us some snow, please!

Is there any chance that some of that Boston, Plymouth, MA, & Cape Cod snow could be forwarded up here to Waterville Valley. There is still not enough snow for the big diesel Mercedes groomer to groom the 105km of "World Famous-We treat you like a champion" cross country ski trails, here. There's enough cover for bootleg xc skiing on the trails which are closed and roped off, not that I would ever do that, but apparently not enuf for the groomer. Help, help, send WV some now, Puuuuuhhhhlease! Meanwhile, it is like 16 below zero here in WV right now which is not very promising for nature to start precipitat'n the white stuff.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote