Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Rockslider

Default NASCAR at NHMS

I have only been attending the Sprint Cup events at NHMS for a couple of years, so I'm wondering if anyone had the same observation -- it seemed like business was way off. The parking lot where we usually end up was almost empty, traffic was light both getting into and out of the track, and there was plenty of room in the stands. It also seemed like there were a lot fewer vendor trailers in the concourse, and opening ceremony activities were limited -- no fly-overs or skydivers as in past races. The morning rain may have kept some people away, but I have a feeling it was more than that. I'm certainly not complaining about how much easier it was to get home or the fact that I wasn't mushed into a seat -- but I hope this isn't a sign of a trend...
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
NHskier

I attended all the Cup races for the first 10-12 years they ran here, and it was always a full house.

The recession seems to have hit the sport hard, and I think attendance has been off at many tracks for a number of years now. Back in the day NHIS (as it was known when owned by the Bahre family) had continual sell-outs and a 10,000 name waiting list.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Barney Bear

Default Race Attendance

We watched today's race on TV at our place on East Bear Island. Both Mama Bear and I commented on the empty grandstands around the track. We delayed our trip back home via I-93 anticipating huge traffic volume. We came through Concord at about 8:30 PM with no traffic delay. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
I attended all the Cup races for the first 10-12 years they ran here, and it was always a full house.

The recession seems to have hit the sport hard, and I think attendance has been off at many tracks for a number of years now. Back in the day NHIS (as it was known when owned by the Bahre family) had continual sell-outs and a 10,000 name waiting list.
I agree. 15 years ago the track was sold out 6 months before the race. I purchased my tickets a year in advance. Now you can get good seats on the day of the race at the track. New Hampshire will probably lose one of the two Nascar cup races in the near future.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Scott's Yott

I think yesterdays race will help bring some people back to the races at NHMS. The racing has not been as good in recent years ( a bit boaring) but the new car package and new tire made the racing alot better this weekend. The other problem with the July race is the heat..The way the track is situated it is one of the hottest stands I have ever sat in. Been to races in Charlotte @ 95*+ and it was more comfortable than NH. We need the July race moved to a NIGHT race. I believe you will see many more people at the Sept race
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott's Yott For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (07-18-2016), Resident 2B (07-18-2016), Smith Point (07-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
I think yesterdays race will help bring some people back to the races at NHMS. The racing has not been as good in recent years ( a bit boaring) but the new car package and new tire made the racing alot better this weekend. The other problem with the July race is the heat..The way the track is situated it is one of the hottest stands I have ever sat in. Been to races in Charlotte @ 95*+ and it was more comfortable than NH. We need the July race moved to a NIGHT race. I believe you will see many more people at the Sept race
I agree with you. The new package added a lot to the competition. I also agree it is too hot at NHMS and that impacts the crowds. NHMS needs lights and they cannot get the lights without agreement from the local residents based on the original commitment made by Bob Bahre that is still binding. I think it will be an up hill battle to gain support from the locals. I also feel that without the lights, the July race will be moved to another track.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
Twox48

Default Funny you say that...

I just got off the phone with a buddy who attended yesterday...he said he couldn't believe how LAME it was. He brought his girlfriend to show her what we used to enjoy and he was disappointed to see only a few scattered souvenir trailers and half empty stands.
He used to go with me and 2 others every July & September race up until about 5 yrs ago when I gave up my seats so he knows what it "used to be".

My biggest complaint was how as a "almost 20 year" season ticket holder 2 times a year I paid $115/seat X 4 six months in advance and they advertised $99 for 4 seats and pre-race pit passes on the radio! Heck, I'd be better off to buy that package and just sit where ever I want in an abandoned seat! Do the math... I "donated" more than $17,000 over the years! Don't those who have been so loyal deserve a little perk?

I hope it's just a phase and it comes back some day but I have my doubts it will ever get close to what it was...

2009 H260 5.7GXi Volvo Penta
Twox48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Blue Thunder

I also had "season" tickets to both races from the mid 90's up to the mid 2000's. Getting to and from the track was a complete horror show back then until I figured out my own way coming in from Loudon Ridge Road. They kept adding grandstands year after year until it peaked. Too many blistering hot July races sitting in the aluminum frying pan and Sept always had it's weather issues.
There are numerous races now that aren't even half sold out. Nascar's premier series is in trouble and they know it.

BT
Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

I too noticed on tv that it looked not much more than 50% capacity. Many seating areas are actually blocked out with advertising as is the case with many tracks. Its not just Loudon. I've noticed at all but the big ones like Daytona that attendance is waaaaay down. Use to have to get a year in advanced at many events.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
HellRaZoR004

Call me crazy, but I don't get the point of watching cars do circles for hours. I get excited when there's a wreck, but the majority of the time it's boring.

Or maybe it's an age demographic thing as I'm 30 and I don't know many my age that are interested in it...
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

NHMS hay day is most certainly over. When I had tickets to the fall race around 2004-2008 I noticed attendance starting to fall even then. The magic mile lost some of its charm when the progressive banking went in, and as the new areo packages took hold.

It stopped being a race with plenty of action, and became about getting out front and then running away from the pack.

I have always believe that NHMS needs to take the next leap of faith, and go for even more banking... bring the speeds up, and the crowds will come back as the racing will become more exciting.

Or put in lights and bring about night racing, and people may become more interested.....

The problem is that the agreement with the town of Belmont, for no night racing, no drag strip, etc. is now starting to strangle the future development of the complex. First it was new, then it was hard to get a ticket, then they improved the configuration, all these changes kept bringing people back.... But now? Whats CHanging? What is there to keep drawing in interest?

The answer not much.. so all you get are the true racing fans..... and even some of us, are just board with the racing in NH.......
Old 07-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #12
noreast

I use to go back in the day, I got free tickets so I would take friends or relatives that were into it, I really wasn't so after a while I would give them away. We had to work it yesterday for a football fundraiser and couldn't believe how empty the place was. People have told me over the last 6 yrs or so But I didn't really get it. They were trying to say terrorism is a huge part of it, that people don't want to go to large crowds. What a bunch of BS, The sport has it's hay day, It will not go away, but I don't think it will ever come back to what it was. I don't know when the contract is up but I can't imagine Nascar is OK with that display. They will lose a race or both. I haven't heard A single person talk about the race, It's over in NH.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

The decline has nothing to do with NH. There has been a huge decline everywhere.http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...edia/86573130/
Old 07-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The decline has nothing to do with NH. There has been a huge decline everywhere.http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...edia/86573130/
Maybe that's why they still have 2 races. You would think they would still do better down south.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

This says it all.
"International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports Inc. — the publicly owned corporations that operate 20 of the Cup series’ 23 tracks — have seen attendance revenue fall. According to a review of the companies’ annual reports, ISC’s attendance revenue is down 49% from its highest point, in 2007; SMI’s is down 46% from its peak, in 2008.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default The Recession

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This says it all.
"International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports Inc. — the publicly owned corporations that operate 20 of the Cup series’ 23 tracks — have seen attendance revenue fall. According to a review of the companies’ annual reports, ISC’s attendance revenue is down 49% from its highest point, in 2007; SMI’s is down 46% from its peak, in 2008.
I would suggest that in 2007-08 and following, lots of businesses took a nose-dive, especially those based on discretionary income. Despite some low level of recovery, many of us are still saying "not in this economy". NASCAR may be a business that will not fully recover, at least in terms of in-person attendance.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #17
JADAQ

Thumbs down

We camped there, our lot was less than 1/2 full. We had one neighbor and last September we were surrounded.
NHMS sent me a survey, my main answer for a lot of the questions was the ticket prices are too high.

My second answer to a question was that I didn't appreciate the fact I had to weed Wack my own campsite! Really??!! $122 and I got to mow my own lawn! Gee thanks !
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
We camped there, our lot was less than 1/2 full. We had one neighbor and last September we were surrounded.
NHMS sent me a survey, my main answer for a lot of the questions was the ticket prices are too high.

My second answer to a question was that I didn't appreciate the fact I had to weed Wack my own campsite! Really??!! $122 and I got to mow my own lawn! Gee thanks !
In my head, there's too much traffic, it's too hot, and it's too expensive. Not sure if any of these are accurate, but they're what I think of when I decide not to attend.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #19
Scott's Yott

I used to go to both races but gave up on july due to the heat....Sept race is always better anyway in the chase. They need to offer a BIG discount if you go to both races

The other issue is the cost and availability of hotels. Friends used to come up from Pa. but were getting raped on hotel prices , so they stopped coming.
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #20
Mr. V

Traditional motorsports are in decline across the board.

F1, Indycar, NHRA, NASCAR: all are down from where they once were.

I blame it primarily on the availability of other forms of online entertainment and the seeming lack of interest in all things automotive by the upcoming generations.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #21
KDL

I stopped attending when the track couldn't understand why I was giving up my season tickets when I could buy tickets the day of the race, for less money, and sit where ever I wanted.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #22
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Traditional motorsports are in decline across the board.

F1, Indycar, NHRA, NASCAR: all are down from where they once were.

I blame it primarily on the availability of other forms of online entertainment and the seeming lack of interest in all things automotive by the upcoming generations.

I think not so much a lack of interest in things automotive. But more a they'd rather be participants than spectators..

I'd love to go lap the track, but have zero interest in watching someone else do it.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
I'd love to go lap the track, but have zero interest in watching someone else do it.
Yeah, especially 350 or 500 times! I lose interest after the fifth lap!
Winnisquamer (07-22-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

As Jeff Dunham's character Bubba Joe says about NASCAR, "what's he gonna do? He's gonna make a left turn. Now what's he gonna do? Another left turn. Now what's... "

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
trfour (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #25
Mr. V

Why go to the track and watch race car drivers race when you can get a much more personal, satisfying experience playing one of the many race-themed games on X-box etc.?

With the advent of HD TV I can get a better view and much more immersion in a race by watching it on the tube than at the track: same thing with professional sports.

No need to leave home to enjoy these activities.

As for the interest of millennials in cars, from what I read in the car mags most seem more interested in a car's connectivity than its performance.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote