Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
sky's

Default bad experience with Green leaf Tree experts

the owner came out to estimate the removal of 5 trees with his crane and gave me a quote of 4500.00 seemed fare so i gave them the green light to proceed. the day before he came out and informed that a few more trees had to be removed to manuever the large crane on the property. i agreed in fact my foreman was standing next to me and i said that i will anticipate paying a few extra dollars. the crane wasn't needed to remove the additional trees. so after the project was completed my bill went to 7000.00 really?? my fault for not asking for exact additional charges. i like to think we can trust our neighbors not!! if you're thinking about hiring this outfit GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.
sky's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
Poor Richard

The company should have honored their quotation. Someone was on site for the estimate so it's their fault for not noticing the clearance issues for their own equipment.

I'd pay the 4500 and tell them to pound sand.

Accurate Tree Service, for the win!
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Green Leaf is supposed to visit in spring to give us an estimate, but now I'm second guessing using them—we've used Top Notch from Campton before and had great luck, so maybe we'll stay the course.

Any other recommendations besides Accurate?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Poor Richard

I used ATS at my house and could not have been more pleased with their price and quality of work.

I made a call to the person that will inevitably come up on this forum (Cort, IIRC) and his price was easily 30% higher for the exact same job. Not knocking him but if that's how it's going to be just tell me no bid.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
MRD

I have used Accurate Tree and had good results. However I believe they are based out of southern NH so we use them mostly in the Manchester area. For the Lakes region we use Northern Tree out of Moultonboro. The contact there is Tim the owner. He can be reached at 603-455 7348. We have used them at our home in Meredith for tree removal involving a crane and with out crane. We were very happy with the results.
MRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
the owner came out to estimate the removal of 5 trees with his crane and gave me a quote of 4500.00 seemed fare so i gave them the green light to proceed. the day before he came out and informed that a few more trees had to be removed to manuever the large crane on the property. i agreed in fact my foreman was standing next to me and i said that i will anticipate paying a few extra dollars. the crane wasn't needed to remove the additional trees. so after the project was completed my bill went to 7000.00 really?? my fault for not asking for exact additional charges. i like to think we can trust our neighbors not!! if you're thinking about hiring this outfit GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.
If it wasn't in writing it's negotiable.

If you thought the bill was excessive you could have paid a reasonable amount and relied on the original quote to support that.

If the tree service really wanted the rest of the money they could take you to small claims court.

As Ann Landers once said:

Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Arbor Tech was good to me

A couple of years ago, I used Arbor Tech to remoive some very large trees very close to the building. They were able to do the (island) work without a crane, did good clean up.
Call Courtney at (603) 491-5183. Others have said good things about them in other threads.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
AC2717

Default Arbor Tech

the only way to go, for years!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Cleaningbykara

Default Sorry you had a bad experiences

I know Brian very well, and we discussed this last night as he was shocked that what seemed like another happy customer had called and was now complaining about a price that he himself approved and within a half hour went and paid. There were 5 large trees added to the scope of work as well as moving a hot tub from the back of the house up and over. Brian is very fair and has a great crew, so its disheartening to see this kind of review with one side of the story and not listing all the facts. I would hope people reading this review would understand that people can have different ideas of what they think should happen but I don't think that Brian and Greenleaf should be excluded from any future business because of one situation especially when he has told me about so many happy customers and repeat business.
Cleaningbykara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
jgrif6180

Default Tree Work

I have used ArborTech several times and they have been wonderful. Prices are fair, workers are extremely professional and the owner, Courtney, is a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommend them.
jgrif6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #11
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaningbykara View Post
I know Brian very well, and we discussed this last night as he was shocked that what seemed like another happy customer had called and was now complaining about a price that he himself approved and within a half hour went and paid. There were 5 large trees added to the scope of work as well as moving a hot tub from the back of the house up and over. Brian is very fair and has a great crew, so its disheartening to see this kind of review with one side of the story and not listing all the facts. I would hope people reading this review would understand that people can have different ideas of what they think should happen but I don't think that Brian and Greenleaf should be excluded from any future business because of one situation especially when he has told me about so many happy customers and repeat business.
The biggest issue is he looked at the project before it even started and have me an estimate. Then the day before all of a sudden on a walk thru all these other trees popped up and needed to be removed to get the crane in. This should have been discussed ahead of time. Yes I paid the bill asap I wasn't happy then and the homeowners that I represent aren't happy at all. I'm especially sorry about this however it should have been handled more professional.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
sky's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #12
Major

Default My 2 Cents

Quote:
I agree with the OP, the issues raised at the 11th hour should have been spotted and addressed in the estimate. It sounds like a classic bait and switch. What was the OP supposed to do, put it out to rebid the day before the work was supposed to be done? If the contractor had estimated the job properly, there's probably a good chance he would not have been awarded the contract. A 40% increase is not cool.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
sky's (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
Major

Quote:
If Brian is as good as you say, perhaps he should return a substantial portion of the $2,000 to the OP. Say $1,000?
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
sky's (02-28-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #14
swnoel

Apparently there was no meeting of the minds...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Thumbs up ..... lowest price, highest quality!

www.greenleaftreenh.com: Click on "trees in NH" for a good look at NH trees.

In my one experience with Green Leaf Tree Experts from Moultonborough, three years ago, which used a huge crane sub-contractor and two Green Leaf guys to remove a large oak plus a large pine, Green Leaf did a totally excellent job from start to clean-up, working in very tight space between two mega, mega, mega million dollar mcmansions, here.

Green Leaf was like the best ...... reasonably priced ..... $1200-total, paid in advance ... a super smooth job .... recall the big trees came down on Ground Hogs Day and the job was so smooth that the ground hog never even got woke up; Feb 2, 2017.

So, you never know what's up with the situation?
Old 02-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #16
Wifi-1

I agree with TopNotch, they did a job for me last year, they had several jobs in my immediate area and gave me a good price.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
dpg

A little off topic but derby weekend I went into Lee Wah's (sp?) for Chinese takeout and there were 3 or 4 guys in there with Greenleaf clothing on (sweatshirts, etc.) They looked like "workers" but I 100% do not know CANNOT verify that. But any-who man were they loud and obnoxious not the best advertisement for ANY company in my opinion. I left the place shaking my head. Dumb little things like that stick in my mind and I remember them. I remembered the name because we're in Moultonborough also, if I had other choices I'd call other companies just because of that "show." Just my .02 your opinion may vary.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #18
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
A little off topic but derby weekend I went into Lee Wah's (sp?) for Chinese takeout and there were 3 or 4 guys in there with Greenleaf clothing on (sweatshirts, etc.) They looked like "workers" but I 100% do not know CANNOT verify that. But any-who man were they loud and obnoxious not the best advertisement for ANY company in my opinion. I left the place shaking my head. Dumb little things like that stick in my mind and I remember them. I remembered the name because we're in Moultonborough also, if I had other choices I'd call other companies just because of that "show." Just my .02 your opinion may vary.

Been there myself. 90’s after work party downtown Boston about 14 of us had a good time in corporate clothing. The next morning I got welcomed into the office of the VP Marketing and was told a few clients of yours had called him and described our behavior. That said, next time we go out we should wear a competitors shirt. One of life lessons learned

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I agree with the OP, the issues raised at the 11th hour should have been spotted and addressed in the estimate. It sounds like a classic bait and switch. What was the OP supposed to do, put it out to rebid the day before the work was supposed to be done? If the contractor had estimated the job properly, there's probably a good chance he would not have been awarded the contract. A 40% increase is not cool.

Yeah, that's exactly what they should have done. Or pay the increased price and don't complain I would have said no, hold on here and quote me these additional trees on the spot, amend my work order and youll get paid accordingly. Why don't people understand that ambiguity in a contract will always get you screwed over. Thinking X business has your best interest in mind is Ludacris.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
JTA

I also used Arbor Tech as did my neighbors (on Cow Island). Very good work and a fair price.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #21
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Chippers

I have used Chippers several times and they have always been reasonable, professional and honored their estimates
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Got a quote from Greenleaf today for $2500. The same job was quoted by Top Notch for $1500. That's CRAZY to be that far off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #23
Not to Worry

Default Top Notch

From my experience Top Notch is an honest company.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-05-2020)