Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Hillcountry

Default What have pontoon owners done about this?

We have the usual Bimini top which covers the mid to aft of our 22’ tritoon.
I know there are plenty of double biminis on toons out there which pretty much give shade to the entire boat.
Our dog likes to stay away from the aft because in general, motor noises stress her out a bit so she stays near the bow, usually in the full sun. I’d like to get her some shade toward he bow. Other than $pringing for a full front bimini, what have others done to give bow passengers some shade?
Alternatively, has anyone installed a more economical front Bimini that has worked for them?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Is this for use while underway? If so, I think the only thing that would work would be a framed bimini. If for use while anchored, I've seen sheets and those Easy Up things used.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Hillcountry

Yes, while underway. When the motor's not running she goes all over the boat. Bad choice of words...lol She traverses all areas of the boat...
Old 03-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Hill,

Not sure what kind of dog you have but we have a lab and she always manages to find some shade somewhere in the boat on hot days. It could be up against one side or the other of the bow bench seating or even on the seat depending on the direction of the sun. Sometimes she gets under or around or between the Captain’s seat and the helm. What we do make sure of is we keep her wet on hot days by using one of these.... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and my dog loves it!

If you have a small dog maybe just spanning a large beach towel across the forward seating so your pooch can get underneath on the floor...just a thought.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-26-2018 at 02:55 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Outdoorsman

Perhaps bring her "bed" with you and place it at or near your feet (or your wife's feet). Might make her feel more secure.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
kawishiwi

Default Add a table?

Maybe you could add a table to the front lounge area similar to those typically mounted near the helm.
Sink a base up front, get maybe a squareish table to provide doggy shade and additional beverage parking?
Old 03-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Hill,

Not sure what kind of dog you have but we have a lab and she always manages to find some shade somewhere in the boat on hot days. It could be up against one side or the other of the bow bench seating or even on the seat depending on the direction of the sun. Sometimes she gets under or around or between the Captain’s seat and the helm. What we do make sure of is we keep her wet on hot days by using one of these.... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and my dog loves it!

If you have a small dog maybe just spanning a large beach towel across the forward seating so your pooch can get underneath on the floor...just a thought.

Dan
Dan, she’s a 65 lb Springer Spaniel...trouble is she doesn’t seek out the shade but suffers in the direct sun. We do try to keep her wet however and use cups or a bucket to wet her down. I like the battery operated shower! She does love playing in a hose stream!
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Perhaps bring her "bed" with you and place it at or near your feet (or your wife's feet). Might make her feel more secure.
Good idea! But having a California king in the boat wouldn’t work out...she sleeps on our bed mostly!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Maybe you could add a table to the front lounge area similar to those typically mounted near the helm.
Sink a base up front, get maybe a squareish table to provide doggy shade and additional beverage parking?
I like the table idea...we could drape a towel over it to create a large shady spot! Thanks! Can always use table space too as we keep a folding one on the boat all the time.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Good idea! But having a California king in the boat wouldn’t work out...she sleeps on our bed mostly!
It could work....

Move the Captains seat and the passenger seat to the aft. Insert California King Bed in the center, under the bimini. The real boss wins.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
MBNeckguy

Quote:
It could work....

Move the Captains seat and the passenger seat to the aft. Insert California King Bed in the center, under the bimini. The real boss wins.

How about an open dog crate wrapped in a breathable sun shade for your pooch?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
It could work....

Lol plenty of pontoon couches to lie down on without the king bed!
Just need a bit more shade.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 AM   #13
Dave R

I would just absorb the expense and buy the front bimini. I don't know anyone that regretted adding shade to a boat, it's money well spent and will keep your vinyl and carpet in better shape too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I would just absorb the expense and buy the front bimini. I don't know anyone that regretted adding shade to a boat, it's money well spent and will keep your vinyl and carpet in better shape too.
I agree with this statement. Especially if you are happy with your current pontoon, and don't anticipate wanting to trade it in anytime soon. I would suggest going to one of the area canvas shops, and at least getting a quote....

I kick myself in the rear, for not going and getting some additional canvas made for my boat, early on... At the time I figured I wasn't going to keep the boat long enough... in hindsight, I have kept the boat, and even if I hadn't I probably would have gotten more use out of the boat, and would have been able to pass a bit of the cost off to a new owner.....

investing in your cruising comfort, or the comfort of you pet... will lead to more enjoyable time on the water... can you put a price tag on that?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Anyone know what the approximate cost would be? I can't stand the look of the super long biminis, but the extra shade would come in handy.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Anyone know what the approximate cost would be? I can't stand the look of the super long biminis, but the extra shade would come in handy.

I have been looking online and you can get a single bimini for a relatively low cost. The factory double biminis zip together to close any gap between the two tops but I would imagine just installing one more single bimini forward of the existing one would work fine without zipping them together.
This is one reason I was posing the question here, hoping someone had simply installed one on their toon on the front of the boat.
If no one has done this I would probably bite the bullet and buy one and just install it on my toon. The thing is finding one that matches mine somewhat in frame and color. One thing mine has that you don’t see in the aftermarket ones is the black anodized aluminum frame. Having a mismatched aluminum colored frame wouldn’t bother me too much. They seem easy to install, it’s just taking a chance on the purchase and hoping you can retrofit it on your toon and have it function properly.
When I was at Meredith Marina, I inquired with the salesman there (where we bought the boat) on buying a factory one and he was very wishy washy on how it could be done...I recall him saying you could get a frame then have the fabric done at a local canvas shop.
My toon has no trailer so the logistics of that seem prohibitive cost wise.
I never pursued it any further but you would (think) you could just buy the whole factory setup and be done with it. On another note, the factory frames are welded to the rails so perhaps that was the rub? The aftermarket ones simply attach to the rails with hardware....decisions decisions....
Old 03-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
8gv

Quote:
Dan, she’s a 65 lb Springer Spaniel...trouble is she doesn’t seek out the shade but suffers in the direct sun. We do try to keep her wet however and use cups or a bucket to wet her down. I like the battery operated shower! She does love playing in a hose stream!
Thanks!
I have no solution for the question but...

Springers rock!!!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I have no solution for the question but...

Springers rock!!!
Absolutely! Love them!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Here is what I would be looking at purchasing but still have questions that I can't answer until I get back on my boat (like is a 10' bimini too long for my toon?)

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/collect...iant=668985529
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Open-bowed boats used to rig "dodgers" to avoid spray in the very front without entirely closing in the bow. This item would serve for shade, as well- looks like a little tent. I bet having one made for the purpose expressed would cost less, and be more serviceable than a full front bimini.

Google dodgers or bow dodgers.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #21
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Open-bowed boats used to rig "dodgers" to avoid spray in the very front without entirely closing in the bow. This item would serve for shade, as well- looks like a little tent. I bet having one made for the purpose expressed would cost less, and be more serviceable than a full front bimini.

Google dodgers or bow dodgers.
Yes I have seen dodgers online but my main concern with one would be forward visibility while underway. Perhaps if a very low one could be made that would work? Thanks!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:46 AM   #22
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I started to post yesterday and then though front access would be a problem.

My thought was a railing height canvas across the first 3 or 4 feet of the bow. It could easily be made with color matching canvas and snaps on the existing bow rail. The dog's bed could be placed under it in the shade. I would construct it so that the canvas did not come down over the sides of the boat so that air would flow freely underneath providing ventilation.

If you constantly have large crowds or use the bow for egress then that would be in the way.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

That's my problem.......we use the bow rail door a lot because it's the easiest access from our dock. A standard bimini frame covers the door. Also have a forward leaning sport arch which complicates things
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I started to post yesterday and then though front access would be a problem.

My thought was a railing height canvas across the first 3 or 4 feet of the bow. It could easily be made with color matching canvas and snaps on the existing bow rail. The dog's bed could be placed under it in the shade. I would construct it so that the canvas did not come down over the sides of the boat so that air would flow freely underneath providing ventilation.

If you constantly have large crowds or use the bow for egress then that would be in the way.
Yup...the bow gate is handy for quickly dropping anchor too. I don’t think having a canvas piece buttoned in place would be practical. It’s looking like the front bimini is going to be most practical. Additionally, I can’t believe no one on this forum (so far) has purchased an aftermarket bimini and installed it!
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #25
ishoot308

Default Bimini

I originally had a forward bimini on my previous Premier. I never liked it and rarely used it so I removed it from the boat.

I will say adding a forward bimini will require (at least to do it right) a zipper installed in the existing helm / bow bimini. If there is not enough material in the existing bimini to add zipper, you will either have to sew on added material or replace the existing bimini as well with one that has zipper.

My opinion is... if the boat is fairly new and you plan on keeping it for a while and if you plan on using the forward bimini while underway, don't mess around with aftermarket and get something from the manufacturer. While you may save going aftermarket, I feel the end result will not be the best.

If your not getting answers from the dealer where you bought it from, don't be afraid to call the manufacturer direct for info. While you can't buy direct, you can certainly find out what the manufacturer has available as an option for your boat. If your boat is sold with a "camper enclosure" option, they make a bow bimini for it. Sometimes doing your own leg work direct from the source is the only way to get the correct answers.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
I originally had a forward bimini on my previous Premier. I never liked it and rarely used it so I removed it from the boat.

I will say adding a forward bimini will require (at least to do it right) a zipper installed in the existing helm / bow bimini. If there is not enough material in the existing bimini to add zipper, you will either have to sew on added material or replace the existing bimini as well with one that has zipper.

My opinion is... if the boat is fairly new and you plan on keeping it for a while and if you plan on using the forward bimini while underway, don't mess around with aftermarket and get something from the manufacturer. While you may save going aftermarket, I feel the end result will not be the best.

If your not getting answers from the dealer where you bought it from, don't be afraid to call the manufacturer direct for info. While you can't buy direct, you can certainly find out what the manufacturer has available as an option for your boat. If your boat is sold with a "camper enclosure" option, they make a bow bimini for it. Sometimes doing your own leg work direct from the source is the only way to get the correct answers.

Good luck!

Dan
I think I recall trying to contact the manufacturer and there was no contact info on their website...they just referred you to a dealer. I’ll check again!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #27
ishoot308

Quote:
I think I recall trying to contact the manufacturer and there was no contact info on their website...they just referred you to a dealer. I’ll check again!
If you bought at Meredith you either have a Sanpan or Aqua Patio both made by Godfrey...

Godfrey Pontoon Boats
4500 Middlebury Street
PO Box 1158
Elkhart, IN 46516
Phone 574.522.8381
Fax 574.522.5120
Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #28
Hillcountry

Quote:
If you bought at Meredith you either have a Sanpan or Aqua Patio both made by Godfrey...

Godfrey Pontoon Boats
4500 Middlebury Street
PO Box 1158
Elkhart, IN 46516
Phone 574.522.8381
Fax 574.522.5120
You left out their other line called Sweetwater...that's what I have.
I sent an email to them inquiring about the double bimini.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #29
ishoot308

Quote:
You left out their other line called Sweetwater...that's what I have.
Also made by Godfrey...

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 03-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #30
Dave M

Default option

It might be as simple as a Umbrellas or different form of it. I just Goggled boat umbrellas and came up with a number of sites. I have one and its fairly simple to set up. I use mine in the bow. Its really only made for anchoring. West Marine has one similar to mine. I presently do not have any Bimini cover. Thinking about getting a custom one. On my boat I have one cover that came with the boat that goes from windshield to stern. I would use the snaps that are on my windshield as one anchor point for a bow shade.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #31
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
It might be as simple as a Umbrellas or different form of it. I just Goggled boat umbrellas and came up with a number of sites. I have one and its fairly simple to set up. I use mine in the bow. Its really only made for anchoring. West Marine has one similar to mine. I presently do not have any Bimini cover. Thinking about getting a custom one. On my boat I have one cover that came with the boat that goes from windshield to stern. I would use the snaps that are on my windshield as one anchor point for a bow shade.

Dave M
Looked at a few versions of umbrellas too...seems like they are for anchor or very slowly underway.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
Hillcountry

Got a quick reply from Godfrey and this is what she said:

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, here at Godfrey manufacturing company we are not set up to sell factory direct. We recommend checking with a Godfrey dealer or with your local marina. Another option would be to check aftermarket. Please see below for some links that might be helpful.

http://pontoonseats.com/

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/

http://www.overtons.com/

http://www.westmarine.com/

http://www.iboats.com/

http://greatlakesskipper.com/

www.pontoonfence.com

Thank you,

Pontoon Customer Service

P: 574-522-8381

F: 574-522-5120

E: cortiz@godfreymarine.com

Godfrey Marine

Some other options to check out that I didn't see online...
Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #33
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Got a quick reply from Godfrey and this is what she said:

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately, here at Godfrey manufacturing company we are not set up to sell factory direct. We recommend checking with a Godfrey dealer or with your local marina. Another option would be to check aftermarket. Please see below for some links that might be helpful.

http://pontoonseats.com/

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/

http://www.overtons.com/

http://www.westmarine.com/

http://www.iboats.com/

http://greatlakesskipper.com/

www.pontoonfence.com

Thank you,

Pontoon Customer Service

P: 574-522-8381

F: 574-522-5120

E: cortiz@godfreymarine.com

Godfrey Marine

Some other options to check out that I didn't see online...
It seems like you are making this way more difficult than it is. They gave you 6+ options with supplied links PLUS mentioned contacting the dealer.

In addition, you have been given MANY suggestions on this thread alone. Perhaps someone can stop by and display samples on your boat?
Old 04-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #34
Hillcountry

Quote:
It seems like you are making this way more difficult than it is. They gave you 6+ options with supplied links PLUS mentioned contacting the dealer.

In addition, you have been given MANY suggestions on this thread alone. Perhaps someone can stop by and display samples on your boat?
That would be great! Could you arrange that for me? And while you’re at it, coordinate with local banks and lending institutions for me to arrange financing for the ultimate solution to my quest! Oh, and have this all done in the next 30 days if you don’t mind! Don’t forget, my existing bimini frame is black anodized aluminum...I wouldn’t settle for anything that doesn’t match that, exactly!
I’ll expect report on your progress on a bi-weekly basis until the job is completed! Thank you in advance!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #35
Outdoorsman

Quote:
That would be great! Could you arrange that for me? And while you’re at it, coordinate with local banks and lending institutions for me to arrange financing for the ultimate solution to my quest! Oh, and have this all done in the next 30 days if you don’t mind! Don’t forget, my existing bimini frame is black anodized aluminum...I wouldn’t settle for anything that doesn’t match that, exactly!
I’ll expect report on your progress on a bi-weekly basis until the job is completed! Thank you in advance!
I see the real issue now....
Old 04-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #36
Hillcountry

Quote:
I see the real issue now....
Hah! Sarcasm is LOST on you...
Old 04-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #37
Lakeflier

Quote:
I have been looking online and you can get a single bimini for a relatively low cost. The factory double biminis zip together to close any gap between the two tops but I would imagine just installing one more single bimini forward of the existing one would work fine without zipping them together.
This is one reason I was posing the question here, hoping someone had simply installed one on their toon on the front of the boat.
If no one has done this I would probably bite the bullet and buy one and just install it on my toon. The thing is finding one that matches mine somewhat in frame and color. One thing mine has that you don’t see in the aftermarket ones is the black anodized aluminum frame. Having a mismatched aluminum colored frame wouldn’t bother me too much. They seem easy to install, it’s just taking a chance on the purchase and hoping you can retrofit it on your toon and have it function properly.
When I was at Meredith Marina, I inquired with the salesman there (where we bought the boat) on buying a factory one and he was very wishy washy on how it could be done...I recall him saying you could get a frame then have the fabric done at a local canvas shop.
My toon has no trailer so the logistics of that seem prohibitive cost wise.
I never pursued it any further but you would (think) you could just buy the whole factory setup and be done with it. On another note, the factory frames are welded to the rails so perhaps that was the rub? The aftermarket ones simply attach to the rails with hardware....decisions decisions....

The canvas shop at Melvin Marina might be able to help you, and can measure your boat at the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #38
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeflier View Post
The canvas shop at Melvin Marina might be able to help you, and can measure your boat at the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #39
ishoot308

Default Here Ya Go!

Quote:
We have the usual Bimini top which covers the mid to aft of our 22’ tritoon.
I know there are plenty of double biminis on toons out there which pretty much give shade to the entire boat.
Our dog likes to stay away from the aft because in general, motor noises stress her out a bit so she stays near the bow, usually in the full sun. I’d like to get her some shade toward he bow. Other than $pringing for a full front bimini, what have others done to give bow passengers some shade?
Alternatively, has anyone installed a more economical front Bimini that has worked for them?
I think I found exactly what you are looking for!...Go to this page and look under "Bimini Buddy" http://www.thebiminibuddy.com/

While I do not have a Bimini Buddy, I do actually have some of those clamps shown that hold the Bimini Buddy to the rail, "Koala Clamps". They are extremely well made and very strong. I also found an in depth review for the Bimini Buddy here... http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtop...+clamp#p200960

Looks pretty well made with Sunbrella fabric available in various colors...

Dan
Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #40
Hillcountry

Quote:
I think I found exactly what you are looking for!...Go to this page and look under "Bimini Buddy" http://www.thebiminibuddy.com/

While I do not have a Bimini Buddy, I do actually have some of those clamps shown that hold the Bimini Buddy to the rail, "Koala Clamps". They are extremely well made and very strong. I also found an in depth review for the Bimini Buddy here... http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtop...+clamp#p200960

Looks pretty well made with Sunbrella fabric available in various colors...

Dan
Thanks Dan!
Unfortunately, the Bimini Buddy people are no longer in business. I emailed them through their website contact form and no reply recently. I had emailed them when I first got the tritoon a couple years ago and the guy actually answered me saying they were having “production problems” and were taking a year off from production. Not sure where this will end up but “no reply” from their contact form is not a good sign.
Not sure why their website is still up...I have tried contacting them again...I'll update if I hear anything.
I will not buy one from their website unless I hear from a human there...the site actually appears that you can purchase one online. I don't trust this to be true knowing they were having problems.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #41
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks Dan!
Unfortunately, the Bimini Buddy people are no longer in business. I emailed them through their website contact form and no reply recently. I had emailed them when I first got the tritoon a couple years ago and the guy actually answered me saying they were having “production problems” and were taking a year off from production. Not sure where this will end up but “no reply” from their contact form is not a good sign.
Not sure why their website is still up...I have tried contacting them again...I'll update if I hear anything.
I will not buy one from their website unless I hear from a human there...the site actually appears that you can purchase one online. I don't trust this to be true knowing they were having problems.
Hmmm, interesting...Their clamps are still available on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Koala-Clamp...s=koala+clamps
Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #42
Hillcountry

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting...Their clamps are still available on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Koala-Clamp...s=koala+clamps
Hmmm...perhaps the clamps are still available but no sign of the bimini anywhere except in very old posts online. Even their Facebook page dates back to 2011.