Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
StormPanic

Default Waterskiing Trainer for Kids?

Can anyone recommend a good waterski trainer set up for 9 year olds?
StormPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
AC2717

rent the wodden U from Parafunalia. did great for my daughter

not the name of it, but that's what it looks like
Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Island Girl

Default My daughter!

My daughter has taught many to ski at our little lake in MA. She is of course not available to teach others unless they are visitors.

We all learned with persistence and a very patient driver. We all learned to be very patient drivers, often pulling skiers for a couple of hours.

Sit in the water about waist high give or take a little.
Pull your legs to together, knees to the chest, ski toes above the water pointing up

Hold your arms straight out holding the line handle

Have someone hold your skis together as this is hard at first. I think this is where the trainers may help a new skier. We used to have a swimmer in the water holding the skiis together swimming out when the newbie fell. This was hard work.... but all did learn to ski and get up and eventually could hold their skis together on their own!

Let the boat pull the line out until it is taught, then shout , "Hit it!"

When the boat pulls, let it pull you, do not pull back or you will fall backwards, do not lean forward or you will fall forward.

As the boat pulls try to stand up so that you butt is not being dragged for long or you will get very tired very soon.

If you keep falling, stop and rest for a while and let someone else try, then try again after 10 or so minutes.

For the driver: drag the skier for a few feet then go faster. Do not go fast all of a sudden with a new skier, do not drag too far or they will fall. some drivers are idiots.

Once the skier is starting to get up go just a tad faster so they do not fall over sideways. Try to go straight for a while as turning the boat with a skier just getting up puts more slack on the line and they will fall.

Teach the skier the hand signals that you use. I also teach the signal to stand up straighter. New skiers tend to lean too far forward. If you have a signal to stand up straighter that will remind them. Use this only once the skier is up and hanging on well.

I was 10-11 when I learned to ski. We tried to get my daughters up from the time they were five, but I think they may have been older when they got the hang of it. We finally bought junior sized skis which helped a lot. My sibling's grandchildren are all tubing which I think keeps them from learning to ski. We did not have wakeboards so never learned how to use one. We did have a disk which was a lot of fun.

Many, many years ago when I was a teenager, our neighbors had guests from another country. The loud and boisterous female guest wanted to ski as she claimed to be an expert skier. We laughed for an hour as she stood up in the water, chest high, skis on the ground and had the boat try to pull her up. At one point we suggested she follow the above instructions but she insisted that her way was the right way... she never got up.

I hope your little one has many enjoyable years of waterskiing!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

When I was young we not only watered skied, but we had big wooden boards we would stand on and get pulled behind the boat. They were like tanks and it was very hard to to stay standing on them. That was the old days. Today companies make things that are much more maneuverable.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Island Girl

Default Us too

We had a board like that made of plywood. We called it a surfboard. It was hard to stay up and corners were really hard. It was all we had before skis, and we were happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
When I was young we not only watered skied, but we had big wooden boards we would stand on and get pulled behind the boat. They were like tanks and it was very hard to to stay standing on them. That was the old days. Today companies make things that are much more maneuverable.

....... Make Lemonade
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
granitebox

Just get a pair of kids skis with a connector in at the front. They screw in and when you are comfortable just remove the bar (usually only takes a day or so but it eliminates the "getting out of the water" challenge new skiers have.

Name:  Picture0001.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  30.3 KB
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I think IG had a good post with lots of pointers...

My fathers family started skiing back in the 60's..... and we have all learned from each other... and we all have the same opinion on training devices. DON"T USE THEM... Get a short pair of ski's meant for children... but that is it... Don't use the plastic pieces that tie them together, don't get one of the big U shaped trainer etc.... Just use patience.

One may ask why I say training devices are no good... The problem is that they become a crutch... and while some kids break away from the crutch... some don't .... don't give them the crutch and then they only know the right way. I have watch kids use training devices, get comfortable, only to fall on their face when the training devices are taking away, and watching the discouragement when that happens is not enjoyable.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
granitebox

We've never had a problem using a trainer. Kids use them for a day or so and then move on. I would agree they could be a crutch if used for an extended period but as with any teaching aid, its how its used.

Some folks say never use training wheels on bikes. Others say, sure, it was easier. To each his own, i never used training wheels. The OP asked for trainers.

I have found that the younger kids want to be like the older kids and there is a built in desire to get rid of the aid.

We always tried 3-4 times without the bar and inevitably on the 1st try with the bar, they popped right up.

Patience is required whatever direction you go.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default Trainers

We did not have training skis, much less junior skis so I do not know a lot about them. I would think getting up and getting the feel of staying up would be important. If a trainer helps with that I am ok with using one.

I know for our learners holding the skis together was very hard along with all the other things to remember. I agree that one would want to lose the trainers as soon as possible.

....and don't even talk about learning to slalom ski1... and learning to get up on one ski... on a 10 horse engine... killer! But learn we did. Kids are very persistent.

Nice memories.
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Sal

Default Barefoot boom

An acquaintance tells me the best way to teach kids to ski is to use a barefoot boom. I'm in the process of trying to get one that will adapt to my boat.

Have any of you experienced a barefoot boom and, if so, is it worth the expense and effort?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
An acquaintance tells me the best way to teach kids to ski is to use a barefoot boom. I'm in the process of trying to get one that will adapt to my boat.

Have any of you experienced a barefoot boom and, if so, is it worth the expense and effort?
While I will agree that this is an excellent training tool, it might not be worth the expense, unless you have a competition ski boat. Most barefoot booms hook right to the Ski Pylon and are specifically made for competition ski boats. I have seen some models that come with provisions to mount to runabouts however they require mounting permanent bases that may or may not be desirable.
Sal (04-29-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #12
66WINN

Any more advice for the driver? I am having trouble since switching to an i/o 4.3l from a 40hp outboard. Thanks
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote