Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
gillygirl

Default Car registration

I’m looking to purchase a car here to leave in NH, but my permanent residence will be FL. What’s the process to register a car in NH as a part-time resident?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
stingray (06-29-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Newbiesaukee

It is a pain...but doable. My understanding is that if you do so, your NH registered car cannot spend one night out of NH. Not an issue for me so did not confirm this. The car must be titled and registered, inspected, etc. In Moultonborough this was done at City Hall with helpful people. There is an older thread on this.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
neckdweller

Here’s a form that Laconia has on their site, I would assume it’s similar for other towns in the area.

https://www.laconianh.gov/DocumentCe...-Affidavit-PDF
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I’m looking to purchase a car here to leave in NH, but my permanent residence will be FL. What’s the process to register a car in NH as a part-time resident?

If you are in Laconia the people at city hall are extremely helpful and will walk you through the paperwork. It’s not hard and you will definitely have to sign the non residency form that was provided above.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Seaplane Pilot

Maybe just register it in Florida and leave it in NH. Probably a lot less hassle.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
loonguy

The car probably needs to be registered in NH to avoid sales tax.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
gillygirl

My summer residence is Gilford. Perhaps a trip to Gilford town hall will be the next step. I am not currently a resident of FL, but that’s the next permanent move homewise. Current permanent address is mom’s house in MA, where I spent the winter while selling my MA house. Car I’m looking at is in Nashua. Thanks for the input! This forum is always helpful!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Maybe just register it in Florida and leave it in NH. Probably a lot less hassle.
Not that much of a hassle at all and will probably still need to bring it to Florida once a year for inspection which would not be convenient

Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
8gv

Florida has no annual inspection requirement.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Florida has no annual inspection requirement.
This is true; Florida does not have vehicle inspections. It is up to the owner to keep the vehicle in good running and safe condition.

I must also add that some vehicles in Florida are really not in great condition and this is a direct result of the state eliminating their annual vehicle inspections some 20 years ago.

I for one would actually enjoy seeing the state re-implementing annual vehicle inspections for the safety of all but with the current political climate I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Hurray for Florida .... annual car inspections can be a little tough on us lower income drivers for big money items like tires, brakes, windshield wiper blades, cracked windshields, and outside light bulbs plus the $40 state inspection fee. Hey ..... is very expensive just for the gasoline!

In all 50-states, commercial trucks and trailers get inspected every 12-months by federal law, and maybe(?) in New Hampshire it is 6-months, NH law, for the truck, and 12-months for the trailer.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

The existing law is absurd. In a personal sense that means I cannot take my NH vehicle, that is my transportation while I am in NH, to visit out of state relatives and stay overnight. What is someone supposed to do? Rent a car?

That also became a problem when I purchased a vehicle in Florida to drive to NH and leave in NH. The town clerk (correctly according to current law) refused to register the car because it was out of state. One should not have to pay sales tax and higher insurance costs for NH based vehicles because of this law.

After years of complaining about the non resident registration law I decided to attempt to have changes made. I spoke to the Governor at a fundraiser and got his support. I asked Senator Harold French to submit legislation and he did. In February I flew from Florida to NH to testify before the Senate Transportation Committee in Concord. I also spoke to House Transportation Committee members and attended their meetings.

The result is the following change that will become law on January 1, 2020.

Partial language printed to save space here:

Certificates of Title and Registration of Vehicles; Reciprocity for Nonresidents. Amend RSA 261:46 to read as follows:

261:46 Nonresident Registration. the department shall register motor vehicles owned by individuals who are not residents of New Hampshire upon presentation of an affidavit by the applicant, on a form developed by the department, swearing that the vehicle is principally garaged or is regularly kept overnight in New Hampshire and that the applicant is the owner of at least one other vehicle which is registered and insured in the state of the applicant's residence.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2020.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Crusty (06-27-2019), Givemethewholeclam (10-22-2019), kauriel (06-27-2019), Sue Doe-Nym (06-28-2019), swnoel (07-01-2019), The Winster (10-21-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #13
joey2665

Good job TiltonBB that is a reasonable compromise and should for the most part stop those from registering the only car they own in the non resident state of NH. Yes I know there will still be ways around it for those with two or more cars but this should help.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
DesertDweller

That new legislation makes a lot of sense.

I am a Nevada resident and have a car registered in New Hampshire. It was a pretty easy process. I am in Moultonborough and did it at the town offices. They made me sign a form saying it wouldn't leave the state (for some period of time)which was easy for me because it's in the garage of my house the majority of the time. The only issue I have some years is that the inspection is due by the end of April and sometimes I don't make it up until May.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller
The only issue I have some years is that the inspection is due by the end of April and sometimes I don't make it up until May.
Ask your helpful town clerk about an INSPECTION EXTENSION state form:

Last summer, a guy I know from Florida got stopped by the NH State Police on Rt 93 for driving his '93 Ford Ranger with NH plates with an expired inspection sticker, and after showing the trooper some type of a state form that extends the inspection time due to a similar situation, the trooper said it was the first time he had ever seen one of these inspection extensions. The paper form was issued by the Franconia (Mittersill) town clerk.

He teaches tennis and has an ancient Ford Ranger with a lot of old yellow tennis balls stuck into the openings in the front radiator area which may have attracted the trooper's attention?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-26-2019 at 12:21 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
marcucci

Do the math before you decide.

I registered my boat trailer in NH and can confirm, you may not leave the state overnight with a non-resident NH registration. No problem for my trailer as it goes from my NH residence into the water and back. However, with the registration fees, even with the MA state tax I avoided, I think I am breaking even. You may lose out when compared to FL. Then you also can't take that car out of state overnight, which may be more important for a car.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcucci For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
marcucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The existing law is absurd...I decided to attempt to have changes made.
@TiltonBB, great work!

https://legiscan.com/NH/bill/SB37/2019

or

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_sta...illnumber=SB37
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
fatlazyless

Here's a question:

Where is says "Spectrum ..... Partisan bill .... Republican 4-0" ...... in the first legiscan blue link ..... what does

this mean? ...... some intelligent insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #19
robmac

I keep a vehicle in FL with NH plates year round and used to have one here with FL plates never an issue. Too much information given at Town Hall ends up bad, I would simply go and register. Bring docs with proving residence utility bill, phone bill tax bill
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #20
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I keep a vehicle in FL with NH plates year round and used to have one here with FL plates never an issue.Too much information given at Town Hall ends up bad,I would simply go and register.Bring docs with proving residence utility bill,phone bill tax bill
If you keep a New Hampshire plated vehicle in Florida year around then how do you keep a current inspection sticker on it?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #21
exlakesregioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
If you keep a New Hampshire plated vehicle in Florida year around then how do you keep a current inspection sticker on it?
He never drives it back to NH, so they have no idea. I've never have to prove inspection to get a plate renewal.
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

He is probably lucky he has never been stopped in Fl. for an expired inspection.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #23
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
He is probably lucky he has never been stopped in Fl. for an expired inspection.
Florida doesn’t care whether your inspection sticker is expired or not, since they don’t require cars to be inspected. With that said, I’ve seen some vehicles on the road in Florida that belong in the junkyard.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 AM   #24
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Florida doesn’t care whether your inspection sticker is expired or not, since they don’t require cars to be inspected. With that said, I’ve seen some vehicles on the road in Florida that belong in the junkyard.
Maybe but I have heard some cops will stop them if they notice the sticker has expired.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:10 AM   #25
TiltonBB

Since Florida does not have a law regarding vehicle inspections there is no violation if your out of state inspection has expired. A police officer in one state cannot write you a ticket for a violation of a law in a different state.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (06-28-2019), Top-Water (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #26
Top-Water

Quote:
Since Florida does not have a law regarding vehicle inspections there is no violation if your out of state inspection has expired. A police officer in one state cannot write you a ticket for a violation of a law in a different state.
I believe this is correct.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Florida is the third most populous state with 21.3 million people, and it must have plenty traffic congestion.

For population size, it's California #1, Texas #2, Florida #3, and New York #4.

Seems incredibly unsafe to not have required annual car inspections. There's no shortage of people who need and want a car but have a tough time paying for all the car items, so they just keep driving with bad tires, bad brakes, bad windshield wiper blades, cracked windshields, burnt out light bulbs, and maybe no insurance coverage.

Up till about 1980, it was pretty standard for many states to have an inspection required every six months. In Massachusetts the six month inspection used to cost $2 and then it doubled to $4, which was very unpopular, and then it got switched from every six months to every 12 months.

Commercial trucks, trailers, and buses have to get inspected every year in all fifty states. Is maybe true that here in New Hampshire commercial trucks and buses get inspected every six months, and trailers, every year?
Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #28
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
I keep a vehicle in FL with NH plates year round and used to have one here with FL plates never an issue.Too much information given at Town Hall ends up bad,I would simply go and register.Bring docs with proving residence utility bill,phone bill tax bill
Bought a car in Florida and as a NH resident I didn't need to pay sales tax as long as it's registered in NH. Drove it home, registered, inspected and drove it back to Florida where it remains. No inspections required and I just renew each year,
Years later I bought another car in Florida for use in NH. Again, no sales tax, shipped it home and registered here. All legal and no tax. Love NH
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
robmac (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #29
fatlazyless

What's a big revenue producer for NH towns and the State of NH is the automobile excise tax. This tax gets split between your town and the state.

The NH local town excise tax on cars, especially newer and more expensive cars is not cheap, it is expensive, and it varies from town to town just like the property tax, except it decreases every year as the car gets one year older.

Your local town clerk is what keeps NH running.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:02 AM   #30
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Bought a car in Florida and as a NH resident I didn't need to pay sales tax as long as it's registered in NH. Drove it home, registered, inspected and drove it back to Florida where it remains. No inspections required and I just renew each year,
Years later I bought another car in Florida for use in NH. Again, no sales tax, shipped it home and registered here. All legal and no tax. Love NH
That gets complicated when you change your residence. I changed my residence to Florida for tax purposes a few years ago.

When I was negotiating the purchase of a car in Florida, that I would take to and register in New Hampshire,the dealership told me if I took possession of it in Florida the sales tax would be due. That included if I had it shipped to New Hampshire on a truck that I arranged for.

Their policy was that the only way Florida sales tax would not be due was if the dealer shipped it to NH because that would not constitute me taking possession of the car in Florida. I think that is legally correct. I am sure they were making money on the shipping too.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #31
tis

Quote:
That gets complicated when you change your residence. I changed my residence to Florida for tax purposes a few years ago.

When I was negotiating the purchase of a car in Florida, that I would take to and register in New Hampshire,the dealership told me if I took possession of it in Florida the sales tax would be due. That included if I had it shipped to New Hampshire on a truck that I arranged for.

Their policy was that the only way Florida sales tax would not be due was if the dealer shipped it to NH because that would not constitute me taking possession of the car in Florida. I think that is legally correct. I am sure they were making money on the shipping too.
That must have changed because we bought two cars in Fl and had them shipped to NH and didn't have to pay sales tax.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #32
MBNeckguy

Quote:
That must have changed because we bought two cars in Fl and had them shipped to NH and didn't have to pay sales tax.
I purchased a new car via eBay from Florida about 7 years ago and had it shipped to N.H. via my own arrangements and did not pay any sales tax either.

MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #33
joey2665

Quote:

That is a complete tax grab by Florida. In NY and NJ you do not pay sales tax until the vehicle is registered.

I purchased cars in both states and registered them in NH. One time the dealership used a service and regather car for me in NH and took delivery in NJ and in NY they gave me 30 day temporary transportation plates and I brought the car to NH to register.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #34
robmac

To answer your question FL has no inspection at all so not an issue.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #35
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Not to open a can of worms...but when I was investigating some similar issues, my insurance company required that a car be domiciled for more than 6 months in the state in which it was insured. Also, if you have NH insurance you want to be sure that you have coverage for uninsured motorists as Florida has a whole lot of them.

For me, the need to have adequate insurance was the most important issue. Different insurers may have different policies...but a car registered in NH staying in FL permanently might not be covered. And insurers are very good at avoiding paying after investigating if there is a significant claim.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #36
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is a complete tax grab by Florida. In NY and NJ you do not pay sales tax until the vehicle is registered.

I purchased cars in both states and registered them in NH. One time the dealership used a service and regather car for me in NH and took delivery in NJ and in NY they gave me 30 day temporary transportation plates and I brought the car to NH to register.

Tilton is wrong, Joey. Fl does not collect the sales tax either until you register it in that state. We bought a car, had temporary plates and then sent it to NH. We did NOT pay a sales tax on that car. The other car we just had shipped to NH without using it in Fl. at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #37
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNeckguy View Post
I purchased a new car via eBay from Florida about 7 years ago and had it shipped to N.H. via my own arrangements and did not pay any sales tax either.

Wow, you bought a car on Ebay... I'm sure it's done all the time - just never encountered anyone who actually did it.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #38
tis

I would love to know the true answer to whether or not out of state police can stop you for non inspection in NH because i have a friend who now lives in Georgia and she is preparing to have her car shipped home so she can have it inspected here. If it truly isn't an issue for her, I am sure she would like to know so she doesn't have to go through the grief. She has a home in NH too.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
winterharbor59 (10-20-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #39
robmac

No state can enforce NH inspection rules and regs other than NH. I don't even have a sticker on my car
Old 06-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #40
tis

Quote:
No state can enforce NH inspection rules and regs other than NH. I don't even have a sticker on my car
I was curious though because I had heard of people being stopped in Fl for non inspection in another state. So I just quickly looked and it did say Pa. will notify other states that somebody has an expired inspection.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #41
TheTimeTraveler

I guess the real question is: "Is a New Hampshire vehicle legally registered if it doesn't have a current New Hampshire inspection sticker" ?

I think this question would only come up if the vehicle were involved in an accident in ANY of the 50 states.

Taking it a step further; Will the insurance company actually pay any claim (for accident or injuries) if the vehicle were involved in an accident and not displaying a current inspection sticker?

I am guessing the lack of a current inspection sticker under these circumstances '"could" be an issue....... but who really knows for sure? Is it worth it to take a chance or not?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #42
jenfa

Unless the laws have changed since January 2017...If you register a car in NH you have to get a NH drivers license within 60 days of registering the car. This is what I learned from the Moultonborough Town Clerk. You must hold a valid drivers license in the state you register a vehicle in.
jenfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #43
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfa View Post
Unless the laws have changed since January 2017...If you register a car in NH you have to get a NH drivers license within 60 days of registering the car. This is what I learned from the Moultonborough Town Clerk. You must hold a valid drivers license in the state you register a vehicle in.
That is not true. If you read the whole thread there is substantial information about non-resident registrations. If that were true it would also mean that people who have two homes could not register a vehicle in the state where each house is. Simply not true. You must have misunderstood.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #44
joey2665

Quote:
Not true at all. I am not a resident of NH and have registered many cars over the years in Laconia and never had an NH drivers license

Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #45
TiltonBB

Quote:
Tilton is wrong, Joey. Fl does not collect the sales tax either until you register it in that state. We bought a car, had temporary plates and then sent it to NH. We did NOT pay a sales tax on that car. The other car we just had shipped to NH without using it in Fl. at all.
I am not sure how I am wrong. All I did was repeat the dealers policy. You may feel the dealers policy is wrong.

I also bought a car in Illinois in March. That dealer (a large dealership that sells 1,200 cars per month) had the same policy. They had to ship the car to avoid the sales tax. I got into a lengthy discussion process with them and even got a legal opinion from the Illinois Department of Revenue that supported the dealer's position. That opinion stated that if I, or my trucking company, took possession of the car in Illinois the sales tax would be due.

I had the car in my possession for 3 weeks before I got them to release the title. Eventually, the dealership paid my sales tax so they would not have trouble with the Illinois DOR. That is despite my providing them with a legal opinion from an attorney at their DOR stating that no sales tax was due.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #46
tis

Quote:
I am not sure how I am wrong. All I did was repeat the dealers policy. You may feel the dealers policy is wrong.

I also bought a car in Illinois in March. That dealer (a large dealership that sells 1,200 cars per month) had the same policy. They had to ship the car to avoid the sales tax. I got into a lengthy discussion process with them and even got a legal opinion from the Illinois Department of Revenue that supported the dealer's position. That opinion stated that if I, or my trucking company, took possession of the car in Illinois the sales tax would be due.

I had the car in my possession for 3 weeks before I got them to release the title. Eventually, the dealership paid my sales tax so they would not have trouble with the Illinois DOR. That is despite my providing them with a legal opinion from an attorney at their DOR stating that no sales tax was due.
Well, if it actually happening to us isn't proof enough that you are wrong than I guess I am not going to convince you. You can believe whoever "told" you whatever and go on your merry way believing what you want. I am not going to argue with you.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #47
TiltonBB

Quote:
Well, if it actually happening to us isn't proof enough that you are wrong than I guess I am not going to convince you. You can believe whoever "told" you whatever and go on your merry way believing what you want. I am not going to argue with you.
Ok. I see my mistake. If it happened to me I exactly the way I stated it did I, and two car dealers and the Department of Revenue, must be wrong. If it happened to you it must be true.

Now I get it!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #48
Paugus Bay Resident

Jenfa, you have to get a license within 60 days of making NH your residency. Nothing to do with registering a car.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #49
phoenix

Correct Joey i have had two cars in moultonboro registered in NH that stay there all year . I have never had a problem and my principle residence and licence is Arizona
Old 06-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #50
Sue Doe-Nym

Florida car purchases can be confusing since dealers there vary as to registration. Several years ago I bought a car from a used car dealer who sent me a bill of sale and a clear title by FedEx once I wired funds to his Florida bank account. With these documents I went to town hall and got a NH plate and registration which went to Florida along with the evidence of insurance. The car does not have a NH inspection and will not require one as long as it does not come to NH. the car has been used extensively in Florida with the NH registration renewed annually. I have looked at other rust free cars in Florida with the idea of bringing them to NH and have learned that new car dealers generally refuse to sell a car without collecting the Florida sales tax.Other dealers will only sell if they physically see the car on a car trailer with proof that it is leaving Florida. The situations mentioned above are all correct since it depends entirely on the individual dealer. These problems do not occur if you are working with a private seller who has a clear title. Also, if financing in Florida is involved it is a different story and Florida sales tax will probably be imposed.

One other thing to keep in mind is the insurance. Some carriers are happy to insure a car that is kept outside of NH, others may not be so inclined. Check your policy carefully.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (06-30-2019), TiltonBB (06-29-2019), Top-Water (06-29-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Insurance and out of state garaging

Most insurers handle out of state garaging for say, military, college students, snowbirds and similar. They charge the rate for where the car is at. However, if you tell the insurer the car is in Chester, NH, and it is really in Chelsea, MA (much higher rate) that is fraudulent and they could deny claims, especially for damage to the vehicle itself.
Other minor things done in good faith, like no sticker in a state that doesn't require one, are not grounds for denying a claim. If a violation were the basis for denying a claim, every accident that involved a red light or fail to yield, etc, would be grounds for denial. That would be "contrary to the public good" which is why so many states require insurance, public good.
When I was out of state (military) I used to get an inspection according to local requirements, so I had something to show if I got stopped or were in an accident. In some states, they can't put a sticker on a car registered elsewhere, but most will do the inspection and give you a receipt that says you met the local standard. I think NH allows 10 days after returning home to get a sticker, just as there is a grace period after the normal due date.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #52
gillygirl

Quote:
I keep a vehicle in FL with NH plates year round and used to have one here with FL plates never an issue. Too much information given at Town Hall ends up bad, I would simply go and register. Bring docs with proving residence utility bill, phone bill tax bill
Phone bill. What’s a phone bill?

Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #53
gillygirl

Wow, such debate. Car will be bought in, registered in, and garaged in NH. Florida is too hot for convertibles!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #54
TiltonBB

Quote:
Wow, such debate. Car will be bought in, registered in, and garaged in NH. Florida is too hot for convertibles!
Sounds good! But, since you have a Florida license you cannot take that vehicle out of state overnight. That is still true until January 1, 2020. The town clerk will make you sign, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that you will not take the vehicle out of state overnight.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #55
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default What's a phone...

Quote:
Phone bill. What’s a phone bill?
There's a description on the inside back cover of your phone book.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-21-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #56
TheProfessor

Quote:
Well . . . some of the town clerks are informed and some town clerks are uninformed. Some town clerks are an elected position. Then there are the employees at the town clerks office that may have little to no training.

Here is what Nashua says:
"I have never registered a vehicle in the City of Nashua. What do I need?
In addition to your vehicle documents, you will need to come in with your Driver's License (or other official Photo ID) and proof of your residence in the City Of Nashua."

The official Photo ID does not have to be a drivers license. A military ID or a US Passport is just fine.

So either the Nashua town clerk is uninformed or the Moultonborough town clerk is uninformed.

Which one do you think is uninformed?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #57
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Well . . . some of the town clerks are informed and some town clerks are uninformed. Some town clerks are an elected position. Then there are the employees at the town clerks office that may have little to no training.

Here is what Nashua says:
"I have never registered a vehicle in the City of Nashua. What do I need?
In addition to your vehicle documents, you will need to come in with your Driver's License (or other official Photo ID) and proof of your residence in the City Of Nashua."

The official Photo ID does not have to be a drivers license. A military ID or a US Passport is just fine.

So either the Nashua town clerk is uninformed or the Moultonborough town clerk is uninformed.

Which one do you think is uninformed?
With respect to nonresident registration, there is no question. A NH drivers license is not required.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #58
TiltonBB

Default No license needed

It is not necessary to have any drivers license, from any state, to register a vehicle.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #59
TheProfessor

Quote:
Apparently from answers above, Moultonborough town clerks office has some issues with regards to providing accurate information or training for the town clerks employees - or both.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #60
AltonCAM

Quote:
Sounds good! But, since you have a Florida license you cannot take that vehicle out of state overnight. That is still true until January 1, 2020. The town clerk will make you sign, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that you will not take the vehicle out of state overnight.

What happens on January 1, 2020?

AltonCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #61
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
The existing law is absurd. In a personal sense that means I cannot take my NH vehicle, that is my transportation while I am in NH, to visit out of state relatives and stay overnight. What is someone supposed to do? Rent a car?

That also became a problem when I purchased a vehicle in Florida to drive to NH and leave in NH. The town clerk (correctly according to current law) refused to register the car because it was out of state. One should not have to pay sales tax and higher insurance costs for NH based vehicles because of this law.

After years of complaining about the non resident registration law I decided to attempt to have changes made. I spoke to the Governor at a fundraiser and got his support. I asked Senator Harold French to submit legislation and he did. In February I flew from Florida to NH to testify before the Senate Transportation Committee in Concord. I also spoke to House Transportation Committee members and attended their meetings.

The result is the following change that will become law on January 1, 2020.

Partial language printed to save space here:

Certificates of Title and Registration of Vehicles; Reciprocity for Nonresidents. Amend RSA 261:46 to read as follows:

261:46 Nonresident Registration. the department shall register motor vehicles owned by individuals who are not residents of New Hampshire upon presentation of an affidavit by the applicant, on a form developed by the department, swearing that the vehicle is principally garaged or is regularly kept overnight in New Hampshire and that the applicant is the owner of at least one other vehicle which is registered and insured in the state of the applicant's residence.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2020.
The key word is "regularly" which I take as, you can visit someone out of state over night as long as it's not a long stay?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #62
TiltonBB

I think that is very open to interpretation. I am not sure how you could be charged with a violation if you kept the car in New Hampshire "often". Unless there is a legal definition of regularly it would be pretty hard to prove that you violated a vague law.

The dictionary says regularly means "occurring or doing something frequently enough over a period of time to establish a pattern, though not necessarily a strict one." I think that covers a lot of situations.

The other curious part of the new law is that they will require someone to have a vehicle "registered and insured in the state of the applicants residence". That is coming from New Hampshire, a state that does not require automobile insurance.

The final language is not what was initially submitted but it is what was approved by the House and signed by the Governor.

At least they improved on the old law.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #63
Newbiesaukee

I think the intent of the wording requires that you have a home state car also and the car registered in NH is not the car you are using regularly in your home state.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #64
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Not sure about a car but

I register the RV in NH as this is my residency and address. I was a full timer and spent months in several states and no one has approach me about registration including FL. So my guess is proof of residency?
Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #65
TiltonBB

New Hampshire determines residency by where your driver's license is from. If you have an out of state license then you are a non-resident. If you do not have a driver's license then the Town Clerk can decide if you are a resident. Absent that, or in a disagreement, I assume that the courts could get involved.

Most states have laws that say if you establish a residence there and are gainfully employed for over 30 days you must switch your vehicle registration(s) and license to that state. There is a tremendous grey area.

I asked a DMV official in Florida if they thought every snowbird that went to Florida for the winter and got a job bagging groceries to supplement their income had changed their license and registration. They acknowledged that most would not but would be subject to arrest for unlicensed and unregistered if they were stopped. So, if this fits you, make sure you have the "right" answers ready if you get stopped. (No sir, no job, just passing through............)
Old 12-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #66
TiltonBB

Default Non Resident Registrations

For anyone who is interested the new motor vehicle registration Nonresident Affidavit is attached.

It is simple and improves on the old law. It takes effect January 1, 2020.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Non Resident Registration Affidavit.pdf (522.7 KB, 681 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #67
TiltonBB

Senator Harold French who was instrumental in the filing and passing of the legislation regarding non-resident registrations has served three terms as a New Hampshire State Senator. His current term ends on December 7, 2022 and he is not going to seek reelection.

I know that the legislation has helped many people who keep and register vehicles at their New Hampshire property but maintain their legal residency elsewhere. The savings are significant.

Harold French is a real regular guy and very down to earth. He has decided to run for US Congress in the 2022 election. I understand he will make a formal announcement in early December.

If anyone (especially non -residents who benefited from his work on the registration law) would like to thank him for all he has done his mailing address is:
Senator Harold French, P.O. Box 11 Warner, NH 03278. I am sure he would appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (11-13-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #68
John Mercier

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...tion/index.htm
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
DotRat (11-11-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #69
John Mercier

Because it is easier to go to the DMV site that covers the entire State rather than a town/city clerk that may or may not be up to speed on the various intricacies that in some municipalities aren't ever seen.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #70
TiltonBB

In 2019 when the non-resident registration law was changed the Director of the DMV, Elizabeth Bielecki, told me there were approximately 8,000 non resident registrations in New Hampshire.

The change deleted the requirement that non resident NH registered vehicles could not be out of state overnight. All of the town Clerks now have a form that a non resident must sign declaring that they have a vehicle registered in their home state.

I would imagine that with the end of the restriction that 8,000 number has only increased and a greater number of non residents now register their cars in NH.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #71
John Mercier

8000 isn't really that many.
And if with an increase in the number, I would suspect that they live in certain municipalities that have large seasonal numbers.
Those municipalities would have a lot more demand for the paperwork, and thus understand the process.

The DMV site would allow them to read the rules, download the forms, and present them to a town clerk/staff that may not be all that familiar with them.