Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default Bar and Grill at Akwa Marina

Though I am no longer a member of the boat club at Akwa Marina, I have chosen to keep my "social membership? which gives us access to all the facilities there. Our grandkids love the pool and we like taking them there.
But, this year, they have added a bar and grill that is accessible to the public, not only members. They even have easily accessible docking available for non member visitors.
My wife had the lobster roll and said it was the best one she ever had. Served on a hot buttered bun, she shared a bite and I can't disagree with her. I had the haddock basket, nicely cooked, flaky and tasty, perfectly battered. Delicious.
Thanks go to the Mailloux family who have done a great job with this new venture. The view is fantastic, the venue is cordial and friendly, and judging from what we ordered and asking others about their meals, the food is excellent.
Well worth the trip, by boat or by car. I think you'll like it.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (05-27-2013), AkwaMarina (05-29-2013), Broken Glass (05-28-2013), fatlazyless (05-28-2013), Legionnaire70 (05-27-2013), Lin (07-10-2013), Misha888 (06-04-2014), Rattlesnake Gal (06-06-2013), WakeboardMom (05-28-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Legionnaire70

How does one access this by boat? I'm guessing (as I haven't been up that way by boat in a while) that their dock is jus past the Weirs a bit?

Thanks..
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
How does one access this by boat? I'm guessing (as I haven't been up that way by boat in a while) that their dock is jus past the Weirs a bit?

Thanks..
Yes, just past the Weirs. Maybe they can pipe in and give direction as to exactly where to tie up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Legionnaire70 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Check out their web page! http://www.akwamarina.com/photogallery.htm

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
AkwaMarina

Thanks Phantom for the nice review. I have to agree the Lobster roll is extremely good and quickly becoming the house favorite. Our Chefs do a great job of finding great ingredient. All our lobsters, steamers and muscles come from Lobster Connection near Winnisquam. All our produce from Beans and Greens in Gilford, and the awesome breads and desserts come from Picnic Rock Farms.
We are having our grand opening this weekend so I hope some of you all will swing by and give us a shot.
I have attached a chart showing our location, and a picture of where to dock at the marina and how to find your way up the restaurant. I also attached a few fun pics. We have a ton more up to date photos on our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/AkwaMarinaYachtClub
You can follow the entire time line of how the truly extraordinary structure was built and how we turned the 1904 Anona Sail boat into the center piece of the restaurant on Facebook. If you all would like I would be happy to create a new thread here walking through a photo timeline of the construction.

Thanks
Kurt
603-231-6002 (my cell)
kurt@akwamarina.com

Akwa Marina Beach Bar land line 603-968-5533
Attached Images

Last edited by AkwaMarina; 05-28-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: phone numbers
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
Legionnaire70 (05-29-2013), Overlake97 (07-04-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (06-06-2013), Shreddy (05-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Legionnaire70

That lobster roll looks killer!

Thanks for the pics and info.. Definitly be up!
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Diver Vince

That Lobsta roll looks yummy. We'll be sure to go there by boat for lunch! Thanks for posting..
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
surfnsnow

could you post a menu kurt? probably get there sunday with my wife
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnsnow View Post
could you post a menu kurt? probably get there sunday with my wife
Ahoy SurfnSnow,
I have attached our menu as it stands today. We run daily specials, depending on what the fresh catch is, etc. So be sure to stop in and see what is new. Hope to see some new faces for this weekends opening!
Cheers
Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: pdf menu 5-30-13 pg 1.pdf (486.1 KB, 1473 views)
File Type: pdf menu 5-30-13 pg 2.pdf (84.7 KB, 1502 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (05-30-2013), BroadHopper (05-30-2013), GUD 2 GO! (05-30-2013), LuvWinni (05-31-2013), Old Hubbard Rd (06-02-2013), surfnsnow (05-30-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

We stopped for lunch yesterday and had a great meal there! I had a chicken sandwich which was very good and table mates had fish sandwiches that looked fantastic.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

You need to update the website as it still says opening soon. What are the hours of operation? The wife and I would love to go.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
You need to update the website as it still says opening soon. What are the hours of operation? The wife and I would love to go.....
Hi Lakesrider,
Working on the website, sorry about that. I wish I knew HTML a little better
The official hours are 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM 7 days a week. We do stay open later on busy days. You can always call directly the land line 603-968-5533, or my cell 603-231-6002 (just not right now, my phone is currently in Davie Jones locker, hoping for a new really soon)

Great question keep them coming
Kurt
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkwaMarina View Post
Hi Lakesrider,
Working on the website, sorry about that. I wish I knew HTML a little better
The official hours are 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM 7 days a week. We do stay open later on busy days. You can always call directly the land line 603-968-5533, or my cell 603-231-6002 (just not right now, my phone is currently in Davie Jones locker, hoping for a new really soon)

Great question keep them coming
Kurt
Don't y'ah just hate it when you drop your cell-phone in the Lake!! Been there, done that more'n to-once myself!!
Best wishes for your new venture!! Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Woodsy

I think the new bar is absolutely awesome! What a great place to hang out and have a few beers! The food is heavy on the seafood.. But it looks great! (I don't eat fish)

The only issue is the docking... they placed a bunch of large mooring balls instead of tie posts down the length of the public dock.... on a rough day (and we all know those are coming) the mooring balls will wear your paint or gelcoat.

Woodsy
BroadHopper (06-06-2013), watrskir (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

I notice the huge mooring balls. You would also dock on the outside slip and it is unprotected from the waves. It is definitely something to think about when you visit. Especially on weekends.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I think the new bar is absolutely awesome! What a great place to hang out and have a few beers! The food is heavy on the seafood.. But it looks great! (I don't eat fish)

The only issue is the docking... they placed a bunch of large mooring balls instead of tie posts down the length of the public dock.... on a rough day (and we all know those are coming) the mooring balls will wear your paint or gelcoat.

Woodsy
Those aren't mooring balls, they are large round fenders. They work great.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Woodsy

Phantom...

Sorry I had the description wrong....

I have to disagree with you. Regardless of what you want to call them, on a busy weekend, that water WILL be rough and they WILL rub your paint or Gelcoat. Boats have a RUB rail for a reason and its not just to cover a seam.

They need to install tie posts.... and then the place will give the NAZ a run for its money!

Woodsy
Waterbaby (06-22-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Kurt,

Does the beach bar have any gluten free menu options?
winnisummergal (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Phantom...

Sorry I had the description wrong....

I have to disagree with you. Regardless of what you want to call them, on a busy weekend, that water WILL be rough and they WILL rub your paint or Gelcoat. Boats have a RUB rail for a reason and its not just to cover a seam.

They need to install tie posts.... and then the place will give the NAZ a run for its money!

Woodsy
I agree this place could give the NAZ some needed competition.

I disagree on the idea that the Bumpers would cause damage to the Gelcoat. I suppose over a number of years that could be true, in extreme conditions but come on to tie up for a hour or two, I don't think so.... I have used bumpers with my boats for years... and not had an issues....
Waterbaby (06-22-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Woodsy

LI....

I use bumpers all the time.... to protect the boat from other boats... rub rail to rub rail. Now take your 4000# boat, and protect it only at the waterline with a rubber balloon.... in very rough (for a dock) water....

That's why they make these....

http://fendersox.com/

Woodsy
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default No Fenders on Gel Coat!

I have an Eastern 22' Lobster with a rub rail, no fenders required at any vertical post style dock or recommended.

If I were to use unprotected fenders against the gel coat it will definitely scratch the #$%* out of the gel coat in no time at all, minutes not hours! Fendersox would be the only way I would use any fenders directly against gel coat, even then it would be for a short time only and with little to no movement, such as boats tied tightly together.

Dan
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Kurt,

Does the beach bar have any gluten free menu options?
Our kitchen is too small to have a true certified gluten free options, but we do gluten tolerant items, just tell your server. We have BBQ Chicken Wings, Salads with Balsamic Vinaigrette, Salmon and Tuna Specials, Gluten free French Fries and gluten free Buns. I have many relatives that are celiac (sp?) so it is something the cooks are very used to preparing.

I am going to look into socks for the fenders, right now...

Last edited by AkwaMarina; 06-07-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added some of gluten free options
Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Those aren't mooring balls, they are large round fenders. They work great.
I have not seen the setup so I can only guess, if they are large mooring type balls at basically water level they would be fine for pontoons. For regular gelcoat clad boats-not so much.

A few years back I had our Monterey 298SS tied up in Gilford Yacht Club. Docks there are straight wooden tie posts. I had a few of the big bertha, or similar fenders tied around the lower post to fend off the boat if it bounced a bit so that the metal rub rail did not get trashed. In a very short span of time the boat rocking back and forth against the fender rubbed a perfect square on the side of the boat in the black gelcoat. After $500 in touchups I went with fender socks. Even with them you have to be careful. My boat was tied rather loosely, had it been tighter the damage would have been worse.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
jrc

Fender socks are only good if they are new and clean.

Obviously fenders or anything rubbing on bare gelcoat will wear it. On the other hand, rub rails directly on posts can flex the boat at the hull deck joint and cause stress cracks. There is no perfect way to dock a boat in rough water.

When I dock at the Weirs, it's always a debate on which is the least damaging, fenders to hold the boat off the dock or just let rails take the beating. In calm water rails always win, in rough fenders win.

If you a have pilings on both sides, you can do a four way tie, how about some pilings?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
NoBozo

Default Not For Nuttin

Almost all of my years of boating has been in Salt Water. I used fenders. No "Socks." My dockspace was in a protected marina. When I got back from sailing I still hosed off the hull AND the fenders with fresh water.

Salt water splashes on the hull will crystalize... and is very abrasive. I never had any indication that there was a problem with fenders abrading the gel coat. I am a meticulous SOB.

When I go to the lake with my little 20' runabout for two weeks...A rented cabin with dock space: The dock is broadside to the wind and wakes of the boats that go by. I bring my own 12 X 28 "Fend Aire" fenders. Totally oversize for the boat ..I hang them from the verticle posts on dock..but they work. I don't carry them on the boat. TOO Big. No Socks. No abrasion problems. Going on 15 years..same boat. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
Woodsy

NoBozo....

That works because you are putting the fenders on a VERTICAL tie post, and the fenders get pinched between the RUB RAIL and the VERTICAL TIE POST. Eliminating most of if not all of the wear on the gelcoat or paint. it also helps that they are oversized for the boat, eliminating a lot of the compression.

Anyway...

Bottom line, Akwa needs to forgo the fender covers and just put in some 2x6 vertical tie posts.... every 12 ft or so with a cleat in the middle between each post. They don't have to extend to the bottom (they have floating docks there) Probably use 10' long boards.. 4' above the dock, the rest below. this will give them the maximum usage of their dock. More cleats and more posts make it for more options fitting in boats of all sizes. Not too expensive and it solves the issue for everyone. Then it doesn't matter if the water gets snotty on a busy day!

I am lucky enough to be able to walk down to Gazebo. I keep my Donzi at Anchor marine. So I really have no dog in the fight. I just know all of my friends are as anal about their boats (Fountains, Donzi's, Formulas etc) as I am about my boat.

Woodsy
watrskir (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
BroadHopper

Default The Broads

For years I had to endure the rough waters on the widest part of the lake. The most effective way to have a boat in front of the property is to moor it. What I find effective when tying to a single dock with no pilings to tie to. is to tie the opposite side middle boat cleat to a tree or piling on shore. This keep the boat away from the dock. I think NoBozo can take advantage of this trick. I had many broken whips to tell me it is a waste of money.

Akwa Marina should cover the metal rings around the pilings. It looks like it can cause major damage to a boat. I personally would rather use my own snubbers than use the huge balls provided by the marina.

If you want expert advise as to handling this situation I would talk to John Spooner of Diamond Shine. He's 'Da Man'.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #28
AkwaMarina

We are working on a better solution for the situations when the water is rough. Many of the solutions mentioned here we are not allowed to do.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
AC2717

Hi Akwa
I think you are already doing more than yoru share to make things accomedating, some folks just will not be happy
keep up the good work and food and the people will come!!!!!
LuvWinni (06-07-2013), Winnisquamguy (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
NoBozo

I bought my BIG 12 X 28 "Fend Aire" fenders ...USED.. at a "Nautical Consignment" shop for $10 each. They are normally around $100.

SO: AKWA..Go out and buy some BIG rubber fenders at a Nautical consignment shop @ $10 each and hang them up on the pier. Your boating customers will appreciate it. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
watrskir

I parked there last Friday and would not do it again. The place is awesome and food was great!! The only way I will be back is by car or park at the weirs. My boat has white sides and I'm sure it left a mark even in short time! Had it been a "colored" boat....I wouldn't have tied up after seeing those fender/balls. Looks like the Naz will still get me if I'm too lazy to walk )
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
Par Four

Default Gotta love smaller businesses...

Quote:
We are working on a better solution for the situations when the water is rough. Many of the solutions mentioned here we are not allowed to do.

I absolutely love to see smaller businesses make a go of it, especially when you see the evidence of ownership wanting to and trying to "do the right thing".

I work in Big Business (yes, Im just a number) where its not hard to see the motivations that drive the agenda.

Dock, walk or drive, the Par Four dining team should be dining there in the not too distant future!

Best of luck to you, looks like you've got a very good start going on.
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
ishoot308

Default Great Stop!!

We just came back from the Akwa Marina Beach Bar and must say the food and atmosphere is very good! We had buffalo wings which were tender and very tasty, I had a lobster roll which was excellent and my wife had a chicken ceasar salad which she said was very good and one of our friends had a burger which he said was fantastic!

As far as boat docking, it's perfect for my pontoon boat!!.... not so great for any high end gel coat finish.

The Akwa Marina is definitely a great stop on the big lake!!

See pics below of buffalo wings, lobster roll and dock area....

Dan
Attached Images

GsChinadoll (06-10-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #34
BernerGuy

What are the odds of this place being even a little bit "dog friendly?"
BernerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #35
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernerGuy View Post
What are the odds of this place being even a little bit "dog friendly?"
I brought my dog but she was left on the boat. I would not think pets are allowed anywhere on the premises except your boat...

Dan
upthesaukee (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #36
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I brought my dog but she was left on the boat. I would not think pets are allowed anywhere on the premises except your boat...

Dan
That would be my impression too. I stopped by there last week in morning, before they were open to chat with Kurt for a bit.

You park at the marina docks and head across a beach area and over to the restaurant. Not much of a place for dogs to run or anything, and the eating area is a little bit tight, not in a bad way, but no room for a dog to lounge around either.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
VitaBene

I saw some dogs around- their owners may have been club members though...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
AkwaMarina

By popular demand, we added little dock posts. So now you can use the big fenders we provide or flip them up and just use the dock posts. Either was we have tons of cleats.

You are welcome to bring your dogs we just ask that you keep them on your boats. We are dog lovers too but we just have to many people to allow people that have dogs to bring there dogs into the facility.

I would also like to point out that even though the city of Laconia has blocked off the street to "local traffic" if you are coming to Akwa Marina for your boat, the Akwa Marina Beach Bar, the American Boat Club, etc consider yourself "local traffic" and come on down.

Thanks
Kurt
AND I final got my cell phone back!!! 603-231-6002 if you need me
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-13-2013), GsChinadoll (06-12-2013), MaidenCove07 (06-18-2013), mhtranger (06-12-2013), trfour (06-12-2013), Waterbaby (06-22-2013), watrskir (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #39
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
By popular demand, we added little dock posts. So now you can use the big fenders we provide or flip them up and just use the dock posts. Either was we have tons of cleats.

You are welcome to bring your dogs we just ask that you keep them on your boats. We are dog lovers too but we just have to many people to allow people that have dogs to bring there dogs into the facility.

I would also like to point out that even though the city of Laconia has blocked off the street to "local traffic" if you are coming to Akwa Marina for your boat, the Akwa Marina Beach Bar, the American Boat Club, etc consider yourself "local traffic" and come on down.

Thanks
Kurt
AND I final got my cell phone back!!! 603-231-6002 if you need me
Now that's what I call accomodating!
We'll see you this weekend, and we'll leave our killer chihuahua at home!
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-12-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
AkwaMarina

Default Specials

I hope it is okay to post here?

We are offer a few fun specials.

"Whenever it is raining it is still Sunny at Akwa" $2 Sam Summer Drafts, When it is raining.

We will also be having an app special every Thursday from 4-6, "Buy one get another half off, all apps"

Thanks
Kurt

Last edited by AkwaMarina; 06-14-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
Dave M

Default Public Docking

Looking at picture for Public Docking, if its full can you park on the outside dock where boat slips are.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Looking at picture for Public Docking, if its full can you park on the outside dock where boat slips are.

Dave M
Are you referring the out side of "D" dock shown here is Purple?
If so yes you can park there, they are legal docks, but to be perfectly honest I would only do it on a very very calm day. D dock is our wave attenuator, think floating wave wall. If parking on D dock your boat will be broad side to the waves and prevailing wind.

I kinda thought this went without saying but I also have to ask that people do not pull into the slips inside the marina.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (07-04-2013), SeaWassp (06-17-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #43
Shreddy

Quote:
If so yes you can park there, they are legal docks, but to be perfectly honest I would only do it on a very very calm day. D dock is our wave attenuator, think floating wave wall. If parking on D dock your boat will be broad side to the waves and prevailing wind.

I kinda thought this went without saying but I also have to ask that people do not pull into the slips inside the marina.
How about jet ski parking? Should we plan to tie up to the docks or can we pull up to the beach? I'd just be fearful of damage pulling up to the docks but I definitely want to come check out the place, likely Saturday whether it's on boat or jet ski.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #44
SIKSUKR

I was wondering the same thing.I'm sure Kurt doesn't want the pwc's blocking up the beach area as there is not that much.I was looking at the area on the shore side of dock "a".Maybe?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #45
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I was wondering the same thing.I'm sure Kurt doesn't want the pwc's blocking up the beach area as there is not that much.I was looking at the area on the shore side of dock "a".Maybe?
Precisely what I was thinking (wishful thinking). Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #46
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default What about your Snowmobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
How about jet ski parking? Should we plan to tie up to the docks or can we pull up to the beach? I'd just be fearful of damage pulling up to the docks but I definitely want to come check out the place, likely Saturday whether it's on boat or jet ski.

Where can you park your Snowmobile?

Had to get something mentioned about Snowmobiling, haven't posted any thing for a while.

WINNOCTURN

Seriously this looks like a great place to tie up to. Have to add this to my list of places to get to by BOAT.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #47
SeaWassp

Default Potential

Stopped by today Place has great potential to be better than it already is! People and Kurt are great. People in Marina are a little cranky. Told me not to dock n area outlined in purple above didn't even say Hi. Just yelled. Food is good beer is cold will be back. Stumps on walk up are tough on feet an toes. Make the bocci court part of the bar!
SeaWassp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWassp For This Useful Post:
MaidenCove07 (06-23-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #48
Waterbaby

Default Park vs Dock

This place sounds great, can't wait to go there! Whether by boat or car, either way I bet the food will be great!

I do have one question though -- how do you park a boat? Last I knew it was docking a boat, and parking a car, lol..................... just wondering. No offense intended!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #49
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
This place sounds great, can't wait to go there! Whether by boat or car, either way I bet the food will be great!

I do have one question though -- how do you park a boat? Last I knew it was docking a boat, and parking a car, lol..................... just wondering. No offense intended!
Just spend some time at any public dock. Some people dock their boat, some park it. It's easy to see the difference!!

On another note, stopped by again yesterday. Wings and burgers were excellent. Jeff and Trevor do an awesome job in the kitchen.
Limited docking though, but not much different than finding a spot in Meredith or Wolfboro on any nice weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #50
BroadHopper

Some people don't even park/dock a boat. They just ram it in!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #51
Dave R

Had a nice meal there yesterday with my wife and intend to return. The service was excellent, the drinks were great and the food was great.

The fenders were clean and did not scuff my gelcoat, despite the wakes from the typical weekend boating. A dock attendant tied my boat, but I re-tied it much more loosely since the wind was blowing it away from the dock.

I love the sailboat bar, very clever. The lake view from our table was excellent.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #52
NHKathy

Street directions for non-boat owners, please?

This place sounds great!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #53
surfnsnow

go by weirs beach arcades about a mile , on left
Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #54
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnsnow View Post
go by weirs beach arcades about a mile , on left
SnS, Isn't it on the right a mile after you pass the arcades (which will be on your left as you pass them)?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #55
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
SnS, Isn't it on the right a mile after you pass the arcades (which will be on your left as you pass them)?
Yes you are correct they have a sign out that says beach bar now open.Its not far from the new townhouses being built.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #56
fpartri497

had lunch at AWKA marine a couple of weeks ago It Is a cool place. lunch was very good service was excellent, will definitely go back soon

trfour (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
surfnsnow

you're right vita, my mistake
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #58
Webbsatwinni

I've heard very good reports on the food, the negatives I do hear are around docking. I heard that boats were damaged as a result of the boat traffic near the weirs last weekend, does anyone have 1st hand knowledge as I have only heard rumor? I want to try it out, but being on an island, we typically do restaurants by boat so we don't need to drive the car ().
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #59
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
I've heard very good reports on the food, the negatives I do hear are around docking. I heard that boats were damaged as a result of the boat traffic near the weirs last weekend, does anyone have 1st hand knowledge as I have only heard rumor? I want to try it out, but being on an island, we typically do restaurants by boat so we don't need to drive the car ().
I haven't been there by boat, yet, but likely will Saturday morning.
Given the layout/location, I could see how an improperly tied off boat could be damaged. However, I think as long as you exercise some basic logic you'll be fine. My guess is that most islanders know how to properly secure their boats to deal with unexpected conditions. You'll be fine
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #60
Woodsy

Webbs...

I think they are just that.. rumors. Akwa added tie posts... (I was one of the biggest proponents of tie posts vs balls) There is no reason a properly tied boat should get damaged in any way!

Woodsy
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #61
Webbsatwinni

BRK & Woodsy,

Thanks, that is what I figured. We see lots of boats improperly secured around the lake and that location could make that worse.

And yes, island life makes you learn this real fast, and on the broads, you better know how to tie a line or you will wake up without a ride home.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #62
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
docking a whole another subject @ AWKA they have floating docks and are allways rolling with the waves from the boat traffick . we went on our jet ski and It was very difficult to get off at their docks. my wife came very close to falling off. some one In charge suggested next time to just beach It. but having said that I will still go back and hopefully this week If it ever stops raining.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #63
Sal

We first visited right after it opened. Great view, very few people . . . word
hadn't gotten around.

Ate there this evening again. It was VERY busy, Haddock basket was good. Waitress seemed a bit confused. View was still great.

We'll go back.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #64
brk-lnt

Every time I check out the Akwa cam during the day, it seems like there are always 3 or 4 boats tied up on the public docks, even during the week. They must be doing something right
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #65
AkwaMarina

Default Last day

Thanks for a great season. Today is the last day we will be open, so come down for pats game and help us clear the cabinets! All drafts are $1, all bottles and cans $2, all kinds of food and cocktail specials. We even have hot cider! Doors open at 11:30.
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-13-2013), Lakemamma (10-14-2013), pjard (10-13-2013), Pontoon Goon (10-14-2013), surfnsnow (10-13-2013), trfour (10-13-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #66
SIKSUKR

Great photo Kurt.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #67
pjard

WOW! That is indeed a great shot!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #68
WakeboardMom

Looking forward to visiting! Enough snow...!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #69
AkwaMarina

Default agreed

Wakeboard Mom... We are definitely in agreement. Time for summer
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (02-18-2014), sum-r breeze (02-24-2014), WakeboardMom (02-20-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #70
AkwaMarina

Default Christen the Anona

Akwa Marina Beach Bar opens this Saturday (5-17-14 11:30 AM). Come help us kick off the season with our first annual "Christen the Anona" Party. We will have some great specials including a $1 draft beer special. We will also be offering a more robust menu this year.

The Anona is the name of the 1904 gaff-rigged sloop, that we put on display as our bar. Former owners were often quoted as saying that they "pump the lake through the Anona a good many times" so we are going to carry on the tradition with our draft system and set the sail for the season

Cheers!!!

https://www.facebook.com/AkwaMarinaYachtClub
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-13-2014), KarenM (05-13-2014), Old Hubbard Rd (05-14-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (05-13-2014), Sully (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #71
MeredithMan

Default Glad to hear you are now open....

We visited you several times for lunch last summer by boat and it was always a great experience! We brought some out-of-towners there each time and they thought it was the coolest place. Question: Are you accessible only by boat, or can we drive there as well? Do you have to go through the gates for the community out on Rte 3?

Thanks and good luck for a great summer!

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #72
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
We visited you several times for lunch last summer by boat and it was always a great experience! We brought some out-of-towners there each time and they thought it was the coolest place. Question: Are you accessible only by boat, or can we drive there as well? Do you have to go through the gates for the community out on Rte 3?

Thanks and good luck for a great summer!

MM
I am happy you had a great experience. You can come by car, boat, kayak, etc.
We are located right on the same street as Weirs beach, so if you aare coming by car, from say Gilford, go over the channel bridge, turn right at the Wiers Beach sign, go past the Mt. Washington on your right, past the Gringo on your left, past Weirs the Beef on your right, and continue for about ~1000ft and we are down on the water. So just walk down the boat ramp and across the sandy beach and up into the Beach Bar like you would from the docks.

https://goo.gl/maps/61fEv
95 Centenary Ave
Laconia NH 03110
Lakemamma (05-13-2014), MeredithMan (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #73
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Akwa Marina Beach Bar opens this Saturday (5-17-14 11:30 AM). Come help us kick off the season with our first annual "Christen the Anona" Party. We will have some great specials including a $1 draft beer special. We will also be offering a more robust menu this year.

The Anona is the name of the 1904 gaff-rigged sloop, that we put on display as our bar. Former owners were often quoted as saying that they "pump the lake through the Anona a good many times" so we are going to carry on the tradition with our draft system and set the sail for the season

Cheers!!!

https://www.facebook.com/AkwaMarinaYachtClub
Can you post the new menu?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #74
AkwaMarina

Default New Menu

The new Menu is not 100% complete or posted but as it evolves it will always be available for viewing here https://www.toasttab.com/akwa-marina
You can also purchase digital Gift Cards there.
The menu keeps everything from last year but adds some more options, like a catch of the day.
kauriel (05-31-2014), Winnigirl (05-13-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #75
kauriel

Is there a designated parking area for the restaurant or is it mostly geared toward boat visitors? I went Sunday but wasn't sure where to park and our server didn't provide a clear answer if it was OK to park in the guest/visitor lot.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #76
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Is there a designated parking area for the restaurant or is it mostly geared toward boat visitors? I went Sunday but wasn't sure where to park and our server didn't provide a clear answer if it was OK to park in the guest/visitor lot.
I apologize the server wasn't very clear. As a guest of the restaurant, you can use the car parking lots and walk down the boat ramp and across the beach to get to the beach bar. Thanks for visiting.
The Following User Says Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
kauriel (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #77
kauriel

Quote:
I apologize the server wasn't very clear. As a guest of the restaurant, you can use the car parking lots and walk down the boat ramp and across the beach to get to the beach bar. Thanks for visiting.
Thank you for clarifying. We enjoyed our visit and hope to go back again!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #78
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:

The side docks is much better than outside don't park there me and my wife were there and saw boat that was park on the outside end out on top of the dock
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #79
Bumble2249

Just went to the Akwa today. Great atmosphere and decent cocktails. But how can a place of this location, clientele and perceived quality, serve frozen chicken fingers?? Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #80
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Just went to the Akwa today. Great atmosphere and decent cocktails. But how can a place of this location, clientele and perceived quality, serve frozen chicken fingers?? Really??
Must have been pretty tough to chew.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #81
smith point boater

Default PWC's

We've been to Akwa by boat on occassion. Good food good atmosphere. Last week we were on the PWC and tried to stop. Realized there really aren't good accommodations for a PWC. Water was very choppy and even though we could have fit in between boats we were uncomfortable that the docking system would have damaged the PWC (esp with the wave action going on last week). There didn't appear to be any shore spots to pull up on. Any chance you could create a spot for PWC's (or maybe we missed it)
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #82
AkwaMarina

Ahoy mill Cove boater,
We have a shallow beach in a calm area that you can pull your jetski up on. There are no cleats or anything since these are not actual slips this is just a place to beach your jetski for temporary use. The area is highlighted in red. (sorry quality, made on cell phone)

I have been looking into out chicken tenders, we will do better and hope you give us another shot. (update, we are back to breading fresh chicken in house to order)

Also if you would like to come by car during bike week, even though the city puts up signs saying local traffic only as a guest of our restaurants you can come down the back way from the tamarack. We have tried to get going resolved, sorry for the confusion.

Also included a Starboard Smash to get you thirsty!
Cheers
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by millcoveboater View Post
We've been to Akwa by boat on occassion. Good food good atmosphere. Last week we were on the PWC and tried to stop. Realized there really aren't good accommodations for a PWC. Water was very choppy and even though we could have fit in between boats we were uncomfortable that the docking system would have damaged the PWC (esp with the wave action going on last week). There didn't appear to be any shore spots to pull up on. Any chance you could create a spot for PWC's (or maybe we missed it)
Attached Images

Last edited by AkwaMarina; 06-18-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Update
The Following User Says Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #83
VitaBene

Default Bike week

Akwa- see you during bike week!! Do you have anything special going on?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #84
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Akwa- see you during bike week!! Do you have anything special going on?
We don't have anything particularly special for bike week. We do have fun stuff going on all summer though. Best thing is follow us on Facebook for fun stuff as it comes up. We are giving away Willie Nelson tickets this Thursday. We have a bunch of musicians lined up for the coming weeks. We also do fun things like "check-in" on Facebook for a discounted bloody Mary or what ever it is that day. We are always posting daily specials etc.
Facebook.com/akwamarinayachtclub
Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #85
jkjoshuatree

Default Thank You!

I just wanted to thank you Akwa.

As a business owner I'm sure you're busy (especially at this time of year) but you always respond and try to rectify any situation that comes up.

That right there, my friend, is the epitome of integrity.

I haven't been to Akwa yet but I will make a point of stopping there this summer.

Thanks again!
AkwaMarina (06-15-2014), Winnigirl (06-14-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #86
smith point boater

Default Thank you Kurt

Thanks for the map. We'll definitely be back - by boat or jet ski!!!
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #87
AkwaMarina

Vitabene here is a fun reason to follow us on Facebook, and one of those special I was talking about.
Dad needs a break bring him by today for a meal and his first draft beer is on us.
Attached Images

kauriel (06-15-2014), trfour (06-15-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #88
dippasan

Stopped in for the first time on Saturday with some friends after a day cruising the lake.
Plenty of boat parking and the attendant came running over and helped us tie up.
We just had apps and a bottle of wine but loved the whole atmosphere, location and the staff was great. We'll be sure to return many times this summer!!

Thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #89
Greene's Basin Girl

A group of us went to Akwa Marina today for a late lunch. I decided to get the stir fry. I specifically asked the waiter if the stir fry had mushrooms. He said no. I received my food and I wasn't"t very hungry so I decided to bring it home and have it for dinner. Sure enough I got home and it was full of mushrooms. It cost $14.99 and I had to throw it out. It was also very sweet. Another friend also got the stir fry and she said it was very sweet also. I asked the waiter for water twice. He never brought it so I asked another server to get it for me. Needless to say I may never go back. It was disappointing because the reviews have been quite good on the forum.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #90
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
A group of us went to Akwa Marina today for a late lunch. I decided to get the stir fry. I specifically asked the waiter if the stir fry had mushrooms. He said no. I received my food and I wasn't"t very hungry so I decided to bring it home and have it for dinner. Sure enough I got home and it was full of mushrooms. It cost $14.99 and I had to throw it out. It was also very sweet. Another friend also got the stir fry and she said it was very sweet also. I asked the waiter for water twice. He never brought it so I asked another server to get it for me. Needless to say I may never go back. It was disappointing because the reviews have been quite good on the forum.
Give them another try. I've been there a couple of times and have come away happy. It's worth another shot just for the views
Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #91
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Give them another try. I've been there a couple of times and have come away happy. It's worth another shot just for the views

No it's not.

pondguy (06-23-2014), Reilly (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #92
valhala

Default Beach Bar

We have been a few times, but take it for what it is, a beach bar. We have had the burgers and they were just "O.K." They were well done, we ordered medium, and the burger bun was "cold" - like it came out of the refrigerator.
We may go back for a drink/snack with friends, but not for any fine dining experience.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #93
ishoot308

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhala View Post
We have been a few times, but take it for what it is, a beach bar. We have had the burgers and they were just "O.K." They were well done, we ordered medium, and the burger bun was "cold" - like it came out of the refrigerator.
We may go back for a drink/snack with friends, but not for any fine dining experience.
Fine dining at a "beach bar"...really??

I just can't picture "Jeeves" wearing flip flops...
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #94
valhala

Default Akwa Beach Bar - Huh ?

When you see the size of the kitchen/food prep area - kind of makes you wonder how they do any food service. Maybe they should stick to a few simple items, and do them well
Still a nice view.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #95
lakelivin

Default AKWA bar

We stopped in at Akwa last week. Food was ok. The drinks were horrible. We asked if they could be fixed and they were returned with a definitive "NO". The bartender/manager was extremely rude and refused to come over and speak with us. This is the second and last time we will go there.
lakelivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #96
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelivin View Post
We stopped in at Akwa last week. Food was ok. The drinks were horrible. We asked if they could be fixed and they were returned with a definitive "NO". The bartender/manager was extremely rude and refused to come over and speak with us. This is the second and last time we will go there.

Do you happen to mean the bartender/Tom Cruise from Cocktail wannabe?? He's just upset that he missed his calling... Lol!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #97
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Later in the season...

We came last Friday afternoon-5:30pm. Whatever minor early season glitches were described above have been solved.
First concern was docking and waves. (30 foot boat) We tied up on the public dock perpendicular to shore about halfway in. A dock attendant met us and assisted with tie-up, but disappeared before we could tip him. Thank you. Very polite and helpful. We're off to a good start. The fenders and posts were in place, so putting out our own fenders was unnecessary. Convenient. The docking was far enough in the cove that there was not a lot of wake action. Perhaps there would be more on a weekend?
We were a group of 10 from elders to grandchildren, so we ate at the picnic tables on the shore. Perfect for us, and the kids could move around and not bother other diners. Food was great. Everything from Mac n cheese to lobster roll and ribs (a special that day). Waitress was very nice and helpful with stuff that would have been easily available inside, where she had to make some extra trips.
Query: My drink, a Salty Dog, had a sweet tinge to the salt on the glass rim. Is that possible?
I ask, in part, because I think it is great that management participates in this site and gives good feedback.

BZ!!
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #98
SIKSUKR

Probably had a mix of salt and sugar.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #99
codeman671

We went over the 4th of July vacation. The lobster rolls were ok, a bit dry and not worth the $21 in my opinion. The burgers were basic and ok, although I was a bit annoyed that the don't have a kids option for burgers. $10 for a burger to feed a 4 year old is a bit rough, but that's what he wanted to eat. The drinks were ok but very small. Went down like water... $145 with tip for lunch and drinks for 2 adults and 2 kids is a bit rough on the wallet. I walked away feeling a bit cheated....

I like the concept of the place but it has room for improvement.

As far as the docking goes, make sure if the attendant ties you up that you check fender placement and his tie job. The kids were a bit unruly when we got to the dock so I did not pay close attention to his tie/fender job. By the time we were done and went to leave the stern bumper was missing and the back of the boat was floating free, rubbing hard on the dock. It left some good scratches on the pontoon tube.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #100
Rattler

Finally got a chance to go recently and wanted to chime in.

My experience is in line with others. The food was mediocre, and the drinks were disappointing. Neither warranted the prices being charged. The service was adequate but not great.

People going there who haven't been before need to set their expectations appropriately. As others have said, it's not a restaurant; it's really just a beach bar in the same class as other beach bars in the area. While the view is great and there is access by boat (albeit with the docking warnings that other posters have detailed), the food quality, prices and service put it, in my opinion, in the middle of the pack when compared to similar establishments on the big lake.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattler For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (08-18-2014), dykg (08-18-2014)