Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #101
HUH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 230
Thanks: 21
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
The fat lady has already sung. Limits are here to stay.

There may have been an outside chance for the opponents before last years fatal accident. Now there is none.

If you guys are smart you will look for a compromise like an exception for the broads. If you go back to "No Limits" you have already lost!
What fatal accident involving excessive speed are you referring to.
HUH is offline  
Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #102
Dave R
Senior Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,728
Thanks: 219
Thanked 604 Times in 351 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
What fatal accident involving excessive speed are you referring to.

Must be the Diamond Island accident. I'm not aware of any other fatal boat accident last year.

The speed of the accident, though excessive, will likely have a limited affect on the decision to keep the speed limit. It is the affiliation of the operator in that accident with performance boating that will probably convince NH legislators to allow the speed limit to stay. Politically speaking, that was a pretty big blunder.
Dave R is offline  
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #103
LDR4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Default

"I have seen absolutely no difference on the lake with the speed limit. I don' t
feel one bit safer, in fact, I think the 150' rule is way out of control this year and that is the one that we should worry about.
Where do legislators get these ideas from ? The vocal minority?


I could not agreemore with his statement. I have a boat that weighs 25,000 lbs and cannot go 45 mph even if I wanted to, and I am constantly getting passed by boats within 30 to 50 feet of me! There is absolutely no consideration of the 150' rule and very little enforcement of it (due to limited resources). 99% of the boats passing within 50 feet of my boat are not even capable of going over 45 mph.
The money spent by the proponents of the Speed Limit would be much better spent on increasing the budget of the MP to allow for more enforcement and education on the lake. Some guy doing 70mph in the broads is the least of our concerns, we should be focused on the guy coming out of the channel doing 25 mph 25 feet off your port side!
LDR4 is offline  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LDR4 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-12-2009), chipj29 (09-14-2009), EricP (09-18-2009), hazelnut (09-12-2009), jmen24 (09-12-2009), NoRegrets (09-13-2009), OCDACTIVE (09-12-2009), VtSteve (09-12-2009)
Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #104
OCDACTIVE
Senior Member
 
OCDACTIVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Myers FL / Moultonboro
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 444
Thanked 573 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR4 View Post
"I have seen absolutely no difference on the lake with the speed limit. I don' t
feel one bit safer, in fact, I think the 150' rule is way out of control this year and that is the one that we should worry about.
Where do legislators get these ideas from ? The vocal minority?


I could not agreemore with his statement. I have a boat that weighs 25,000 lbs and cannot go 45 mph even if I wanted to, and I am constantly getting passed by boats within 30 to 50 feet of me! There is absolutely no consideration of the 150' rule and very little enforcement of it (due to limited resources). 99% of the boats passing within 50 feet of my boat are not even capable of going over 45 mph.
The money spent by the proponents of the Speed Limit would be much better spent on increasing the budget of the MP to allow for more enforcement and education on the lake. Some guy doing 70mph in the broads is the least of our concerns, we should be focused on the guy coming out of the channel doing 25 mph 25 feet off your port side!
You hit the nail on the head.. Great idea as far as donating to the MP as well!!

As stated in previous threads and posts, unfortunately the proponents are not for making the lake safer with speed limits or pushing for enforcement of laws that do make the lake safer. It is to try to rid the lake of a specific type of boat in general. This is just their way of beginning that task. Otherwise they would want to see what the data that they pushed for in this 2 year trial period shows. They have shown they had no intention of wanting data but just a ploy to get the limits in place to try to make them permenant.

Well we're not buying it!
__________________
Have you had your Vessel Inspected Yet?
OCDACTIVE is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (09-13-2009), Seaplane Pilot (09-12-2009)
Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #105
VtSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,313
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 230
Thanked 358 Times in 167 Posts
Default

One thing about the 150' rule. I think that some people that feel boats are too close, not yourself specifically, but many boaters, don't really know what 150' is. It does get harder to measure distances on the water. I don't relate to feet on the water, but yards and miles. 150' is 50 yards. Not nearly as far as some think it is.

For my guide, I think of closer distances in golfing terms. 50 yards is a good 60 degree lob wedge for me. Someone in my boat said I "appeared" to be too close to another boat. In fact, I was about sand wedge distance, or 100 yards away. That's 300 feet, our limit is 200', quite a contrast. 50 yards seems to most people to be much further away than 150'. Mind playing tricks.

In the real world, a 150' rule needn't be rigidly applied. In tighter channels at slower speeds, common sense applies? If I had to slow to headway speed getting out of my bay every time I was closer than 200', the constant speed changes would result in tidal waves after awhile Part of the problem is that there are oftentimes a dozen or two large sailboats leaving the bay, spaced around 300' or more from each other. They form a blockade, and make boat traffic snake in and out and all around them.

This weekend is a large Laser class racing series. Ought to be interesting.
VtSteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #106
rick35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bear Island/Merrimack
Posts: 525
Thanks: 27
Thanked 108 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I can't remember how many times I've slowed for an approaching boat near the Cattle Landing only to have some bonehead pass between us or around us around 50 feet. I agree that 150 feet is difficult to judge on the water but there's no excuse at 50 feet. Add the 5 across mentality near the Cattle Landing and you've got an accident waiting to happen. I only hope it doesn't happen to me.
rick35 is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #107
Ryan
Senior Member
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mass/Gilford
Posts: 246
Thanks: 216
Thanked 70 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
One thing about the 150' rule. I think that some people that feel boats are too close, not yourself specifically, but many boaters, don't really know what 150' is. It does get harder to measure distances on the water. I don't relate to feet on the water, but yards and miles. 150' is 50 yards. Not nearly as far as some think it is.
My very first time operating a watercraft on Winni, I was launching at Glendale and an MP approached me after I had to rev the engine to avoid an engine stall. He informed me about the 150' rule (which I knew from my boating certificate) and gave me a good piece of advice.

He stated that for people with normal vision (20/20, corrected to 20/20, etc) 150' is just about the point where you can make out the bow numbers on a vessel in your vicinity.

I use this each and every time I'm on the lake.
__________________
Please do not feel the trolls.
Ryan is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #108
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,606
Thanks: 457
Thanked 807 Times in 558 Posts
Default

I was told the same thing by an MP years ago, Ryan. I think I posted it previously somewhere. I think it makes it simple.
tis is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #109
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 788
Thanked 636 Times in 344 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

He stated that for people with normal vision (20/20, corrected to 20/20, etc) 150' is just about the point where you can make out the bow numbers on a vessel in your vicinity.
This is a very bad approach to use in my estimation. By the time you can read bow numbers and compehend that you are you are easily with 150' of the boat. Hence this is more of an approach to tell that someone is within 150' of you..... but not that you are within 150ft of someone else. People just need to learn to give each other room.

Speaking of room, I had an incident this weekend where some "bonehead" wouldn't give me any as I rounded a marker. I saw him and he saw me.....head on approach to some degree, and although I did my best to give him adaquate room, he made no effort what so ever to give me room...... even though he had about 1000' of room to move over into.......
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #110
Ryan
Senior Member
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mass/Gilford
Posts: 246
Thanks: 216
Thanked 70 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
This is a very bad approach to use in my estimation. By the time you can read bow numbers and compehend that you are you are easily with 150' of the boat. Hence this is more of an approach to tell that someone is within 150' of you..... but not that you are within 150ft of someone else. People just need to learn to give each other room.
I disagree. If you are maintaining a proper lookout and are actively maintaining a safe distance, you can take the proper actions to ensure the safety of your vessel and the people aboard. It has been beaten to death in the boating forums, but you cannot control other's actions while boating. If a passing vessel is ignorant to the rules, then shame on them.
__________________
Please do not feel the trolls.
Ryan is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #111
OCDACTIVE
Senior Member
 
OCDACTIVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Myers FL / Moultonboro
Posts: 1,045
Thanks: 444
Thanked 573 Times in 178 Posts
Default

When all else fails and if you are uncertain slow to headway speed.. whats the worst thing thats going to happen? burn a little extra fuel coming back up on plane.
__________________
Have you had your Vessel Inspected Yet?
OCDACTIVE is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.27499 seconds