Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
That Guy

Default Anyone into nitro R/C?

Hey everyone. New to the forum, but not to the area.

Been poking around with the idea of getting back into radio controlled cars and trucks. I was deep into electric r/c 15+ years ago. I'd probably get into nitro powered this time. Was curious if anyone in the area did any racing or anything. I checked out the RT 106, but its a bit of a drive and it doesn't look like they do nitro. I'm not 100% focused on getting back into the hobby, but if there were a group of folks in the area that were, then I could see myself actively looking for a new truck or car.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hi, and welcome! I was into nitro buggies up until last year, but I sold everything when my chillens started taking all my time.

Have been thinking about getting another one, but would get electric this time as battery technology, and location, preclude the....idiosyncrasies...of nitro.

Don't know of any racing areas closer than 106.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
patman

Mildly related...Marden's in Portland just got in a huge lot of hobby shop stuff. There were plastic car and copter bodies, tires of all description, cans of fuel, suspension parts, chargers, kits, servos, receivers...you name it. All at 70% off sticker. Just past the customer service area as you come in the front doors.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
That Guy (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
That Guy

Good to know. Thanks man.

There any indication of brands? Are they hobby-grade or "Radio Shack" stuff?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Rich

I'm more interested in RC things that fly than those that are on the land/water (I find the land/water based items too limiting).

I did have a thread I started to see if anyone else was interested in getting together around the lake, but there didn't seem to be much interest other than from spectators:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17158
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Good to know. Thanks man.

There any indication of brands? Are they hobby-grade or "Radio Shack" stuff?
It's all name brand hobby items, definitely NOT box store stuff. It looked like it was the complete contents from a small R/C-specific hobby shop store. Tons of 'part in a plastic bag hanging on pegboard hook' sort of things.
That Guy (06-01-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
patman

Snapped a picture yesterday...

Attached Images

Last edited by patman; 06-07-2015 at 07:28 PM.
kauriel (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
glennsteely

Talking Wow!!!

Very curious to see what position you were in when you snapped that picture.....must have been a tough one!!

Lol!!!

Just joshing you buddy!!

I, personally love the boats, there is a guy at a local park down here where i live who has a offshore racing type boat that is probably about 4-5 feet long that goes real fast, i'd bet that thing is going like 70-80 mph!! It is awesome, i would love to get one of those!!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely View Post
Very curious to see what position you were in when you snapped that picture.....must have been a tough one!!

Lol!!!
Yeah...I was standing on my head. It was quite a sight!

(Actually, the vBulletin software isn't smart enough to do anything useful with the orientation info in the .jpg headers for some reason, so when you upload from a mobile device, it's kind of a crapshoot which side it'll decide is the top. I edited the picture and re-uploaded it, so it displays correctly now.)
glennsteely (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
glennsteely

Default Hahaha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
yeah...i was standing on my head. It was quite a sight!

(actually, the vbulletin software isn't smart enough to do anything useful with the orientation info in the .jpg headers for some reason, so when you upload from a mobile device, it's kind of a crapshoot which side it'll decide is the top. I edited the picture and re-uploaded it, so it displays correctly now.)
too cool and too funny!!! Hey buddy, is that your car in the avatar? Very nice!!

I'm still trying to process you on your head taking that flick.....lol.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
HomeWood

I really like r/c boats but so much of what is out there looks unrealistic. That's fine if you want just a go fast boat. I want to get into large, realistic, gas powered r/c boats. The hobby stores around me only sell the stuff I am not all that interested in and they are expensive, too. I cannot believe how much a molded plastic hull with some hardware costs.

I think the only way I will get what I want is to build it but I have pretty much no fine wood working experience. I would love to put a small 4 stroke Honda engine (weed trimmer size) in a run-about style boat with a water cooled exhaust to mimic a class Christ Craft and the like.

I have a couple electric trucks. One is a vintage Team Associated but I don't have the same interest in them as I used to.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Hey everyone. New to the forum, but not to the area.

Been poking around with the idea of getting back into radio controlled cars and trucks. I was deep into electric r/c 15+ years ago. I'd probably get into nitro powered this time. Was curious if anyone in the area did any racing or anything. I checked out the RT 106, but its a bit of a drive and it doesn't look like they do nitro. I'm not 100% focused on getting back into the hobby, but if there were a group of folks in the area that were, then I could see myself actively looking for a new truck or car.
This link is not cars but flying,. I have been a few times, its pretty cool to see the big scale rc gas and electrics fly.

http://www.wrcnh.org/about/
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
That Guy

Whoops, forgot I made this thread.

I actually passed on nitro and picked up an electric Traxxas Rustler a couple days ago for short money. I'll be headed to RT 106 Hobby in a few weeks to get myself racing it looks like. Fun little truck. As it sits, I have it going I'd say 35mph. Ordeing two LiPos and a charger this weekend. I figure with a 2S 5000MAH Lipo, some different tires, and play with the gearing I'll be hitting 70mph.