Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
feb

Default Only Forward, No Reverse

Yesterday I discovered that my Four Winns Volvo I/O will only go forward. When I shift it into Reverse is either still goes forward or spins out like its in Neutral/Choke mode. Made for interesting docking. I'm sure its nothing I can fix myself so its headed to the marina tomorrow but am curious what others think could be the issue. I guess I'm just hoping its a 3-digit bill and not a 4-digit bill.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
The Real BigGuy

Had same problem on my Four Winn’s Volvo I/O. Does make docking interesting!!! The shift cable clip on the I/O had come loose. The sloped cover that is at the top back comes off with the removal of a couple of screws. The cable attaches to the shift lever (under that cover) with a clamp and, if I remember correctly 1 Phillips head screw. Once I got it adjusted (tied to dock and trial and error while someone shifted) worked great. Pain in the butt getting in the water, adjusting, out of the water, start/test shift, repeat until complete but cheaper than getting it done at marina.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
feb

Default Progress...

Thanks for the tip. I removed that cover and now understand how the transmission worked. While my son moved the shift lever I could see the cable go into forward and then struggle to shift it fully into reverse. I think the cable is just tired from use and hopefully is what need to be replaced. The cable and the transmission moves freely so I suspect that is good news.

I did notice that the more i trimmed the drive down the slightly more reliable the shifter was fully engaging forward and reverse. Maybe something binds a little more when the drive is trimmed up when in shallow water.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Poor Richard

My guess is the slack in the cable sheathing is being taken up a bit when the drive is down. If that's the case it could be the cable was always on the snug side of the adjustment and merely became stretched or frayed with time and use.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Dave R

Since you already know how to inspect the cable at the drive, it should be pretty obvious how to adjust it as well. I think you just need to shorten the cable a bit. Pull the cotter pin at the drive end, pop the cable off the shift lever, spin the barrel clockwise a few turns, re-install the cable on the shift lever and install a new cotter pin. You can do this in the water. If you run out of adjustment before the problem is solved, you need a new cable. If memory serves, they are easy to swap, unlike a Mercruiser...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links