Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #101
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 413
Thanks: 55
Thanked 297 Times in 100 Posts
Default

It is time to take more serious action on this topic. I suggest EVERYONE write to the members of the Meredith Selectboard expressing their frustration. Go to MeredithNH.org, then under Boards and Committees click on Selectboard, then write to each of the members by clicking on their name. Simple, easy way to get the message out to them. If we can get 50 letters, maybe they will at least try and get the state to re-evaluate. Also, let's write to the editors at Laconia Daily Sun....maybe they will do a story on it and the adverse impact it is having on Meredith business. Without this grass roots pressure, nothing will happen.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #102
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 413
Thanks: 55
Thanked 297 Times in 100 Posts
Default

I just sent email letters to each of the 5 BOS members...easy to do, using copy for all your comments. Took ten minutes overall. Then I sent letters to Meredith News and Laconia Sun requesting they do a story on the issue. Will you help by sending your letters???? Please, let's get the letter writing campaign off to a great start before the summer season is over.

Meredith News..... mnews@salmonpress.news

Laconia Sun...... news@laconiadailysun.com
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Orion (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #103
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 199
Thanks: 66
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Another issue that has risen due to these lights is the amount of traffic that is avoiding them, traveling thru Meredith center.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #104
exlakesregioner
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Meredith center? You must mean downtown Meredith, two different places.
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #105
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,349
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 193
Thanked 492 Times in 366 Posts
Exclamation .... is there a link?

It's a bit of a cause and effect type of a stretch to blame the recently installed hawk signal on Rt-3 for the Main St, post office pedestrian crossing, pedestrian death, where a 72-year old woman was struck by a young driver that occurred in June?

With the Route-3 slow & go, mostly slow, now happening, some drivers get very frustrated with all the waiting, so when they finally see that open road, some want to put the pedal down to the metal, and just hit it, to get on outta there?

Is this just idle Winni forum conjecture, or did the newly installed hawk signal somehow play a psychological cause and effect role with the extremely unfortunate pedestrian death that occurred on the alternate Main St route used to avoid the traffic jam?

One has to wonder? So, the hawk goes operational in June, and a pedestrian death which basically never happens here, also occurs in June ..... is that a coincidence or a cause?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #106
TheProfessor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 479
Thanks: 16
Thanked 122 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Few know, comprehend, understand . . .

that there is another way around Meredith.

No need for all of these traffic jams.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #107
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,349
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 193
Thanked 492 Times in 366 Posts
Default

Meredith Scenic Detour

For an extremely scenic and lovely back roads route around the traffic clogged hawk signal in Meredith:

On Rt-104 eastbound, take a left onto Winona Rd at the big stop lights intersection of Winona Rd-Pease Rd/Rt-104, proceed for about two miles to ..... go right onto Waukewan Rd at the Old Print Barn, slowly drive around Lake Waukewan and up the steep Waukewan Golf Course ..... arriving at Rt-25 in Center Harbor ..... and proceed 100-yards south and across Rt-25 to College Rd for two miles and right onto Rt-25B for three miles to Center Harbor-Rt-25 .... totally avoiding the Meredith hawk.

Some beautiful scenic back roads ..... driving that golden road .... not stuck at the Meredith hawk ....... driving around back the old NH with a beautiful Lake Waukewan.

... too bad all the cows have left the scene. Is easy to imagine from not too long ago, all the 'country air' and all those black & white spotted cows that used to graze the steep, hilly pasture fields, along this here drive. Cows may come, and cows may go, but that town docks hawk traffic will be there, forever!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #108
DickR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 518
Thanks: 0
Thanked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Default

I've timed that alternate route in the reverse direction, 25B out of Center Harbor to 3/25 to Waukewan Rd to Winona Rd to rte 104. It's about five minutes longer than when there is little/no traffic at the Meredith lights. So, take your best guess as to how much time traffic at the lights will cost you and decide accordingly.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #109
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 792
Thanks: 158
Thanked 265 Times in 159 Posts
Default Meredith traffic

There is no question the traffic in Meredith is confusing, but, if you drive around the Lake you will find several different sets of circumstances with respect to vehicles and pedestrians - different crosswalk designs, different lighting patterns, the total absence of either. So, it is no wonder drivers and pedestrians are confused, and, ad to the mix that many of the drivers are from "somewhere else" and are used to whatever may be their style of crosswalk or lighting pattern. Just remember this, the time of year is fast approaching when you can park sideways any where you want and not get in trouble, and the pedestrians and drivers (mostly) have gone back to "somewhere else".
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #110
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 199
Thanks: 66
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
There is no question the traffic in Meredith is confusing, but, if you drive around the Lake you will find several different sets of circumstances with respect to vehicles and pedestrians - different crosswalk designs, different lighting patterns, the total absence of either. So, it is no wonder drivers and pedestrians are confused, and, ad to the mix that many of the drivers are from "somewhere else" and are used to whatever may be their style of crosswalk or lighting pattern. Just remember this, the time of year is fast approaching when you can park sideways any where you want and not get in trouble, and the pedestrians and drivers (mostly) have gone back to "somewhere else".
So true


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #111
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 128
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For an extremely scenic and lovely back roads route around the traffic clogged hawk signal in Meredith:

On Rt-104 eastbound, take a left onto Winona Rd at the big stop lights intersection of Winona Rd-Pease Rd/Rt-104, proceed for about two miles to ..... go right onto Waukewan Rd at the Old Print Barn, slowly drive around Lake Waukewan and up the steep Waukewan Golf Course ..... arriving at Rt-25 in Center Harbor ..... and proceed 100-yards south and across Rt-25 to College Rd for two miles and right onto RT-25B for three miles to Center Harbor-Rt-25 .... totally avoiding the Meredith hawk.

Some beautiful scenic back roads ..... driving that golden road .... not stuck at the Meredith hawk ....... driving around back the old NH with a beautiful Lake Waukewan.
You are foolish if you do this!!! The trailers/trucks hauling to the dump, and the golfers who are late for their tee-times, do not care about you. They know what you are trying accomplish, but their agendas are at risk! Tail-gating, speeding and cutting people off only feed their desires to be on time! The early dump visitors don't want to be late for their tee-times - the early golfers don't want to miss the afternoon T.V. final round of their favorite tournament!

Beware of FLL's advice- he only plays tennis!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #112
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 950
Thanks: 505
Thanked 294 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For an extremely scenic and lovely back roads route around the traffic clogged hawk signal in Meredith:

On Rt-104 eastbound, take a left onto Winona Rd at the big stop lights intersection of Winona Rd-Pease Rd/Rt-104, proceed for about two miles to ..... go right onto Waukewan Rd at the Old Print Barn, slowly drive around Lake Waukewan and up the steep Waukewan Golf Course ..... arriving at Rt-25 in Center Harbor ..... and proceed 100-yards south and across Rt-25 to College Rd for two miles and right onto RT-25B for three miles to Center Harbor-Rt-25 .... totally avoiding the Meredith hawk.

Some beautiful scenic back roads ..... driving that golden road .... not stuck at the Meredith hawk ....... driving around back the old NH with a beautiful Lake Waukewan.
I have used this route and the reverse for 16 years during the summer season and have never had a problem with it.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #113
Downeast
Senior Member
 
Downeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: lakes region
Posts: 78
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Thru traffic on Main in Meredith needs to SLOW DOWN, specifically in vicinity of the USPS.

The freight trains running through these congested areas need to chill out and drift through until passages are clear and wider.

As far as the crosswalk issues on 3, this will most likely take time for re-eval and adjustments, however the formentioned needs speed control attention yesterday.
__________________
www.nwmarineindustries.com
@nwmarineindustries
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #114
Wifi-1
Senior Member
 
Wifi-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 51
Thanks: 51
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
Thru traffic on Main in Meredith needs to SLOW DOWN, specifically in vicinity of the USPS.

The freight trains running through these congested areas need to chill out and drift through until passages are clear and wider.

As far as the crosswalk issues on 3, this will most likely take time for re-eval and adjustments, however the formentioned needs speed control attention yesterday.
Yep, people trying to beat out the HAWK. Time for the famous Meredith radar traps
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:13 AM   #115
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 778
Thanks: 228
Thanked 278 Times in 130 Posts
Default Right turn on red.....

When I moved to California in the '70's, you could make a right turn on a red light. I had never seen this before. CA was the only state allowing this then, I think.

I brought the idea "home" (New Hampshire & Massachusetts) and people were extraordinarily critical of such a thing. They envisioned all sorts of calamity. A red light meant "STOP". Don't complicate things.

When I drove cross-country in April, I made right turns at red lights in every state I went through and never thought twice as to whether it was legal or not. It appears to be generally accepted and allowed now everywhere, I assume.

Not sure how this pertains to the subject of the thread...I guess, although I think evolution is a slow "change" process, getting accustomed to those "hawk" signals is not going to take hold nationwide...Maybe not even locally. Sometimes bad ideas die right where they were born.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #116
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 178
Thanks: 28
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
When I moved to California in the '70's, you could make a right turn on a red light. I had never seen this before. CA was the only state allowing this then, I think.

I brought the idea "home" (New Hampshire & Massachusetts) and people were extraordinarily critical of such a thing. They envisioned all sorts of calamity. A red light meant "STOP". Don't complicate things.

When I drove cross-country in April, I made right turns at red lights in every state I went through and never thought twice as to whether it was legal or not. It appears to be generally accepted and allowed now everywhere, I assume.

Not sure how this pertains to the subject of the thread...I guess, although I think evolution is a slow "change" process, getting accustomed to those "hawk" signals is not going to take hold nationwide...Maybe not even locally. Sometimes bad ideas die right where they were born.




Right turn on Red is allowed in all 50 States. I believe Massachusetts was the last state to allow this back sometime in the 1980's.

Additionally (and unknown to most Mass drivers) you can take a left turn on a red light when you have two intersecting one way streets.






.
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.12176 seconds