Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Smokienorm

Default Gilford Hannafords Out of Date Food Products

I went to Hannaford's in Gilford last week for groceries- it is our usual first choice. Tried to get something simple to make dip- Breakstone's sour cream + Lipton's soup mix. There were about 12 of the sour creams in the dairy case. One was dated with a January 2016 expiration and the others were all expired on March 1.

I asked for a manager and one (supposedly the dairy manager) finally came after about a 5 minute wait. Explained the situation, asked why no one was checking and removing out of date products, and he said he would check on it- never said he would get me the proper product. Never apologized. Never explained why they have 3 month old product on the dairy shelves.Left and got the product at the Walmart down the street. Called the Hannaford's national customer service line and explained- they apologized. Now, a week later got an insipid email from the store manager.

Have had similar problems (out of date or nearly out of date) packaged lettuce in that store.

Obviously poor management and lack of attention to detail.

The lesson: WATCH OUT for expiration dates at Hannaford's in Gilford if you want reasonably fresh products.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
nicole

This has happened to me over the years-many times not bring able to purchase things that I needed there because of the date. When I brought it to the attention of the employees, they acted like I was a bother or looked at me like I was crazy. It happens in the Gilford Shaw's as well, but not as much as Hannaford.

I don't think either store knows how to properly rotate food.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Merrymeeting

On a related topic, it appears that both the Rochester and Alton stores are in the process of redesigning a lot of the store layout.

We went to each store at some point this week. Both stores have aisles that are either mostly empty or gone, with many signs along the aisles pointing shoppers to where the product has been relocated.

While it may just have been time to revitalize each store, we can't help but wonder if it is an early response to the competition that will come from the soon to open Rochester Market Basket.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Winnisquamer

Actually noticed the same this weekend. Picked 4 different milk cartons that all expired yesterday
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Cindido

This happens on a regular basis in the Hannaford Alton store -need to check expirations dates carefully on dairy items!
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokienorm View Post
Obviously poor management and lack of attention to detail.

The lesson: WATCH OUT for expiration dates at Hannaford's in Gilford if you want reasonably fresh products.
Keep in mind not all grocery stores actually stock their own shelves. Rather they have the vendors that supply the store - bring inventory in, rotate stock and of course remove expired product. While ultimately the management there should be aware of whether or not the job is getting done, I highly doubt the manager is checking expiration labels on everything on the shelves. That said you'd think at least you'd get an apology but seems no matter where you go these days customer service is lacking.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
radioman

Default Gilford Hannafords

Maxim is right again. Temperature sensitive products are monitored by store managers, as well they should be!! Other products that are all over the shelves
are serviced by "merchandisers" who are responsible for proper rotation.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Ya know there's some people who actually look for the out of date hamburger patties at Walmart because they drop the price by a lot .....like by 33% when it gets close to the date. And, it used to be very easy to find these bargains at the Gilford store ...... but not any more.....their food biz must be pick'n up or someth'n....
Old 04-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
The Real BigGuy

Remember, most dates on packaged foods are not "expiration" dates. They are "Best if sold by" or sell by dates. The food is safe to eat for a period of time after that date. Milk, for example, can be good for a week to 10 days after the sell by date.

However, I can't think of a good excuse for having food that is months beyond the sell by date on the shelf. It seems that the store is opening itself up to tremendous liability. I believe Hannaford is one of the stores that won't give food that is at or beyond its sell by date to food pantries because of the liability. Strange. . . .
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
radioman

Default Fll.

Ok. yes there is nothing at all wrong with buying out of date food products, provided you understand what you are buying. Bread , rolls etc are a no-brainer
but refrigerated and frozen products could be a problem. Regardless, You will understand within 24 hrs!
Old 04-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ya know there's some people who actually look for the out of date hamburger patties at Walmart because they drop the price by a lot .....like by 33% when it gets close to the date. And, it used to be very easy to find these bargains at the Gilford store ...... but not any more.....their food biz must be pick'n up or someth'n....
This is not unique to WalMart, just about every grocery store fire sale nearly expired meat but with the widespread use of the check in/checkout scanners I think grocery stores are far better at inventory control thus have less overstock and inventory expiration which is great for the bottom line.

Can't fault them to much for that, they aren't doing themselves any favors if they can't turn and burn inventory efficiently.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
wifi

Meredith Hannafords seems pretty good on dates. Problem with the store are the kids they employ. I was thinking of modifying my shopping trip to Gilford, now I am lost.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Meredith Hannafords seems pretty good on dates. Problem with the store are the kids they employ. I was thinking of modifying my shopping trip to Gilford, now I am lost.
Drive to the Tilton Market Basket....not that far from Gilford.....you will save lots of money and I suspect nothing there is out of date as it flies off the shelf and the workers are constantly reviewing dates and rearranging. Market Basket is the place to shop. We drive 26 miles each way once a week for Market basket and pass right by the Meredith Hannaford's on the way.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Drive to the Tilton Market Basket....not that far from Gilford.....you will save lots of money and I suspect nothing there is out of date as it flies off the shelf and the workers are constantly reviewing dates and rearranging. Market Basket is the place to shop. We drive 26 miles each way once a week for Market basket and pass right by the Meredith Hannaford's on the way.
Agree that MB is the place to shop. We often go to Hannafords in Gilford as it is close by and 2nd best. Never encountered an outdated product at either MB in Tilton or Hannaford in Gilford.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #15
ITD

I always, always, always check the date on food items. In fact on things like dairy and other more perishable things I will rifle through the stock to find the freshest stock. No apologies.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
phoenix

I also to MB. Will be up this weekend to open house for a few days and will stop at Mb. the prices are amazing compared to Phoenix
Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #17
ApS

Red face No Food for The Needy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Ok. yes there is nothing at all wrong with buying out of date food products, provided you understand what you are buying. Bread , rolls etc are a no-brainer but refrigerated and frozen products could be a problem. Regardless, You will understand within 24 hrs!
After waiting for a CVS prescription to be filled (and by now, starving) I brought a package of refrigerated Dannon yogurt to the cash register. The clerk noted they were out of date—by a month. She moved them to a shelf below the counter. I begged her to let me buy them, but she refused!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:30 AM   #18
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
After waiting for a CVS prescription to be filled (and by now, starving) I brought a package of refrigerated Dannon yogurt to the cash register. The clerk noted they were out of date—by a month. She moved them to a shelf below the counter. I begged her to let me buy them, but she refused!

Yogurt a MONTH out of date is a bridge to far.
Refusing to sell that product was properly protecting the store from the lawyers that would be calling after the buyer got sick .
Buying out of date product just is not a great practice .
I,m also not sure I am totally on board with how big an issue this realy is.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Expired products

The economy certainly takes its toll on the supermarkets. There are less supermarkets today than there were a decade ago. When the economy was good the food banks prosper as supermarkets can afford to donate expired or nearly expired products. Today the food banks can no longer rely on the supermarkets as supermarkets are on a leaner inventory to cut costs. A decade ago you rarely see discontinued or markdown products, today the stores have a section of clearance items and in this case try to sell expired products at full price.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #20
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Never encountered an outdated product at either MB in Tilton or Hannaford in Gilford.
MB isn't perfect either. We bought some smoked salmon about 2 weeks ago at MB, then couldn't find it the next day at breakfast. A few days later I discovered it had been bagged with the ice cream, which I had put directly in the basement freezer, so now we had frozen fish. The good news/bad news was that in taking it out of the freezer, I noticed the expiration was early February, so the detour probably saved us some unpleasantness.

Worst case was a pint of Ben&Jerry's purchased at Wolfeboro Rite Aid. Got it home, and took a bite...ick. It was 6 months past its sell by date. The really scary part of that is if you look at the dates on recent stock, they are about 18 months in the future. That means it had been sitting there for 2 years.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #21
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default All this brings back memories from long ago...

I remember in my youth, my folks had milk delivered a couple of times per week, along with eggs and butter. Meat was bought every two or three days, and put in the refrigerator. Fish was bought the day it was going to be eaten. Most of the grocery bills at the market (market, not supermarket) were small. I could often do the shopping for my folks on my bike. One paper bag in the basket on the bike, and hold one in one arm. Switch the bag to the other arm a few times on the ride home, no hands on the handlebars while you switched. (WHERE'S MY CHANGE?!?!?!? )

It has a lot to do with processed food now. Back then, the meat department had a butcher, and the beef and pork came in as a whole carcass. I can almost wish we could go back to those days. Probably healthier.

Back to the supermarket headaches. thanks for listening.
BroadHopper (04-13-2016), Cindido (04-13-2016), Just Sold (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I remember in my youth, my folks had milk delivered a couple of times per week, along with eggs and butter. Meat was bought every two or three days, and put in the refrigerator. Fish was bought the day it was going to be eaten. Most of the grocery bills at the market (market, not supermarket) were small. I could often do the shopping for my folks on my bike. One paper bag in the basket on the bike, and hold one in one arm. Switch the bag to the other arm a few times on the ride home, no hands on the handlebars while you switched. (WHERE'S MY CHANGE?!?!?!? )

It has a lot to do with processed food now. Back then, the meat department had a butcher, and the beef and pork came in as a whole carcass. I can almost wish we could go back to those days. Probably healthier.

Back to the supermarket headaches. thanks for listening.
Today's processed food is slowly killing us! So much for convenience.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
radioman

Default Gilford hannaford

Gh, the stats just do not support your point,
Old 04-15-2016, 12:20 AM   #24
Rockslider

I often remember vacationing just outside of Weirs Beach (the old Model Motel and Cottages) as a kid in the 1960's. Doesn't seem like that long ago -- but there was no Hannaford, no Shaw's, no Walmart -- even the old Star Market wouldn't appear for a few years. Instead, every day a Hood Dairy truck showed up (with chocolate milk that I still have a slight addiction to); the Cushman bakery truck showed up with a selection of cakes (basically like Entenman's, only much better), and there was a fruit/vegetable truck, etc.

You never had to leave the place and kill an afternoon shopping; you could get the groceries and be back on the beach in about five minutes. The food was great, and we never needed to worry about expiration dates... it seemed so much better then...

But for now, it's hard to beat Market Basket for quality, selection, service, and most of all price. Looking forward to the new stores in Rochester and Gilford and not having to make the periodic trek to Tilton.
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #25
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Speaking of expiration dates...next time you buy hamburg at one of the chain stores, look at the expiration date. Some times it shows a 2 week shelf life....on hamburg??
What do you suppose might be in it?
I only buy HB at E.M.Heaths because they grind it fresh every day.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #26
wadden

I agree with SAMIAM re Heath market. Top quality meats and fresh!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #27
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Speaking of expiration dates...next time you buy hamburg at one of the chain stores, look at the expiration date. Some times it shows a 2 week shelf life....on hamburg??
What do you suppose might be in it?
My thoughts exactly. I think the same thing when I read the "ingredients" in bottled water.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #28
radioman

Default gilford hannifords

Pure spring bottled water will never have an ingredient listing, flavored varieties will. Bottled water whether, pure spring or flavored. are all processed the same, in that water with or without flavor are prepared in a stainless tank and ozone is introduced. Ozone will sanitize the water in the tank and the filler as well as the bottle. Ozone then will dissipate within 72 hours.

With all the bottled water sold each year, when was the last time you learned of a recall or a death? The process really works!!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #29
radioman

Default Hannafords

I must say that I left a few things out: ozone will eliminate bacteria but if the water source is contaminated with all sorts of things such as heavy metals, arsenic and so forth, all bets are off! The good news is that the water plants are very strictly regulated. Many samples thru out the chain must be submitted on a monthly basis. Again. the system has worked well. I have always said, contaminated water will be a serious problem and it wont take a bomber or a nuke to create some serious damage
Old 04-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #30
Treerider

Default code dates

while the meaning of code dates is in fact a "best if sold by" date, and the product, say a gallon of milk ....could be fine, you really have to beware of HOW cold they are storing it. in home in your 40F fridge un opened, it will last a long time, once you open it, you inoculate it with air and the bugs begin to grow.....BUT, how is the product stored in a smaller market, in one of those open front cooler cases, what is the temp of the product in them? If a case does not hold at 40 then trouble is invited.
I bought some half and half for the office at a gas station store.....it was within the sell by date, probably wasn't cold enough considering that it sits in the case behind a door that gets opened hundreds of times a day...just sayin...
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #31
Cindido

Default Hannaford Out of Date !

Was shopping in the Hannaford store in Gilford today. Picked up a pack of Hebrew National hot dogs and noticed they went out of date on April 6, 2016. Why are these even on the shelf ?

Check those expiration dates !!
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #32
radioman

Default out of date food products

Cindido. Go back up and read Maxums post. The other thing that people fail to realize is that many people purchase products simply based upon "Best if used by dates" As such, they tend to go to the back of the display as they understand that this is normally the freshest product' So what is left?
There is no question about it.in Retail Stores. department managers have got to check these things, it is part of their duty and it is an important part of our Food Product Safety System.