Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #101
Resident 2B

Looking at the weather forecasts and knowing what we need to form the initial skim of ice, it really does not look that good. We need cold temps and no wind to form the initial skim coat of ice. We will have the cold temps the next five days, but we will have more wind than is ideal. Thursday night looks like the best bet for ice to form, but it gets windy again for the weekend.

It looks to me like the snow tonight will be in the 3 to 5 inch range around the lake. It looks like less up north. This snow will cool the surface water which is good. My concern is it will also form an insulating layer over the ice that still holds in the bays, potentially making that ice relatively poor quality the rest of the season.

I wish the news was better, but right now it is not great. Still a lot of winter to come, but we are at the halfway point of meteorological winter, December, January and February, and what we have is not what we usually have.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #102
Blue Thunder

Default Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Looking at the weather forecasts and knowing what we need to form the initial skim of ice, it really does not look that good. We need cold temps and no wind to form the initial skim coat of ice. We will have the cold temps the next five days, but we will have more wind than is ideal. Thursday night looks like the best bet for ice to form, but it gets windy again for the weekend.

It looks to me like the snow tonight will be in the 3 to 5 inch range around the lake. It looks like less up north. This snow will cool the surface water which is good. My concern is it will also form an insulating layer over the ice that still holds in the bays, potentially making that ice relatively poor quality the rest of the season.

I wish the news was better, but right now it is not great. Still a lot of winter to come, but we are at the halfway point of meteorological winter, December, January and February, and what we have is not what we usually have.

R2B
Nearly all of the long range guidance is progging tremendous cold beginning next week. Do you (as a fellow weather follower) not see this?

BT
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #103
JMR

Default Webbsatwinni

The photo taken by friend, who launched a pontoon boat from Ames Farm, but due to wind did not go around to the Broad side. But Snakeeyes does not show ice in Broads
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMR For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (01-16-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #104
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Nearly all of the long range guidance is progging tremendous cold beginning next week. Do you (as a fellow weather follower) not see this?

BT
Hopefully it also brings some big snowfall as well. I just had the transfer case rebuilt and a new turbo put in my plow truck.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #105
Resident 2B

Quote:

BT

As stated, I was only looking out five days, that is through Sunday. It could get very cold after that, but I was not looking at that timeframe.

R2B
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #106
hilltopper

Quote:

BT
Temperature-wise, from what I see, we will have an average to below average stretch for about 8 days (1/21ish to 1/28ish) after which we go above average again. This is from looking at a few different forecasts.

Disclaimer: I don't trust any Winter forecasts beyond the 72 hour time range...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #107
Bear Island South

Quote:
My concern is it will also form an insulating layer over the ice that still holds in the bays, potentially making that ice relatively poor quality the rest of the season.
R2B
Fresh layer of snow...probably not helping with the ice-in process.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #108
Resident 2B

Well it is certainly cold now, will warm up a bit tomorrow, then get very cold for next week. However, for the next five days the wind looks to be up and ice does not form on open water when the wind is blowing.

We need a big, fat high pressure system to sit over us for a night or two to get the ice going. I just do not see one out there willing to do this in the next week.

I wish the news was better.

R2B
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #109
ITD

First bob house on Meredith by the boat launch, didn't venture on the ice myself.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #110
Bear Island South

Default Pond Hockey

The rinks are starting to take shape in Meredith Bay...nice stretch of cold weather coming to help out.
Picture is from a post by Lakeside Deli on Facebook.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
bclaker (01-19-2013), Dog's Ear (01-19-2013), jerseyonbear (01-19-2013), mikea (01-19-2013), Mink Islander (01-19-2013), Pontoon Goon (01-19-2013), winnipiseogee (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #111
winnipiseogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
The rinks are starting to take shape in Meredith Bay...nice stretch of cold weather coming to help out.
Picture is from a post by Lakeside Deli on Facebook.
Love to see it!! Nothing like that hockey tournament happening on the bay!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #112
Mink Islander

Default Camera shots from your dock?

Wondering what the channel between Mark and Bear is looking like these days. Weather permitting I may venture out next weekend.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #113
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Wondering what the channel between Mark and Bear is looking like these days. Weather permitting I may venture out next weekend.
It looks like open water on the north end of Mark Is., still too early you need a report from FLL on the Cattle to Bear area.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #114
BlackCatIslander

Default The view from Gunstock

Yesterday was a great day for skiing although a wee bit on the chilly side. The visibility was remarkable. We couldn't remember when so much of the lake was wide open at this time in January.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #115
Mink Islander

Default Ice man cometh

Quote:
It looks like open water on the north end of Mark Is., still too early you need a report from FLL on the Cattle to Bear area.
Will be interesting to see how quickly things change this week with the very cold weather. I'm sure FLL will keep us informed. Wondering whether the ice boat is chewing up things at Cattle Landing as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #116
oldflounder

Default Some observations today

Center Harbor iced in as far as the eye can see - 3 or 4 small huts on the ice near shore - many individuals on the ice fishing with tubs.
S. Paugus Bay iced in - several individuals on the ice pulling tubs.
Ahern Park/Winnisquam - no ice as far as the eye can see - rough open water.
Other small ponds in the area all iced up but no huts.
Meredith bay - still only the Derby's hut - lots of open water around the docks/circulators.
oldflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldflounder For This Useful Post:
Major problem (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #117
Bear Island South

Quote:
Wondering whether the ice boat is chewing up things at Cattle Landing as well.
We caught a ride to the island back on New Years Eve with Island Services, we were told they will be working on the east side of Bear and Little Bear this winter. Cattle should be in good shape.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #118
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflounder View Post
Center Harbor iced in as far as the eye can see - 3 or 4 small huts on the ice near shore - many individuals on the ice fishing with tubs.
S. Paugus Bay iced in - several individuals on the ice pulling tubs.
Ahern Park/Winnisquam - no ice as far as the eye can see - rough open water.
Other small ponds in the area all iced up but no huts.
Meredith bay - still only the Derby's hut - lots of open water around the docks/circulators.
Meredith Bay this morning - Two bobhouses and 1 truck on the ice (along with about 20 skating rinks).
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #119
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default High Winds = No Ice

When I woke up this morning I looked out over the lake to see a lot of ice formations in the broads. 20 minutes later the wind picked up and all the ice was gone!

With the wild winds we have coming today I think we are going to lose a lot of the shore ice that just recently formed all along Belknap point and Ellacoya State Park area.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #120
meredith weekender

The winds are really picking up and th open water area is growing this afternoon. Even with the cold coming, it's going be tough o freeze over the open water.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #121
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Ice Report 1/20/2013

Vantage point from Sheps looking towards Bear Island. Ice was locked in well between Sheps south to Cattle landing (pic from there to follow)

Dark areas between pine and bear island are frozen over but with no snow it looks from the pics like open water, however it is black ice.

I would say that the ice "looked" good enough to walk out on all the way to bear but there is no good ice along the immediate shore near sheps to get out on yet. The access point way over near the beach over by the docks was not very well covered, just skimmed a bit. After this week I got to believe it will be plenty thick to walk out on possibly enough to hold a sled.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hamiltony (01-24-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #122
MAXUM

Default from Cattle landing

First looking to the north, second straight across third to the south. This is the southern break point for the main sheet of ice between the mainland and bear. To the south was open water. the leading edge of the ice was black and freshly formed. Looking beyond the leading edge of the ice between bear and timber can be seen The area between bear, timber and governor's islands all open water.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hamiltony (01-24-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #123
MAXUM

First pic from Y-Landing looking south towards Bear and across at Pine. That channel was open water.

The last two end of Meredith bay and the ice rinks. Quite a few folks out there enjoying the rinks, and more bob houses have shown up, sleds and ATVs tooling around but not very far out. One guy took a pickup out there, not sure how thick the ice is but for what it's worth the truck was not in the drink!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #124
MAXUM

From Governor's Island bridge, first looking north, the next south, then the last looking south from just before the bridge. Most of the area south of the GI bridge is either open water, or has a skim that had water on it, either way whatever ice was there was newly formed and hard to see. Beyond there all open water. From Eagle Island to Governors, over to Timber and on south all open water. From Glendale out to welch and beyond all open water. Broads all open water.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
JerseyGuy (01-22-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #125
MAXUM

Fianlly ended the day in Alton Bay which is frozen all the way out to the opening to the broads. Did some ice fishing by the band stand, good 12" of ice and lots of bob houses out there.

As a bonus, a couple of pics of these "wicked cool" ducks, they were hanging around Shep but the blasted things were awful skiddish cause I couldn't sneak up on them enough to get a good close up, but they are really pretty. I don't have a fancy lens for my camera so these were as close as I could get. They would take off every time I made a move to get a wee bit closer. Buggers!

That's it for pics, cold weather should really firm up what ice is there, everything that is still open, who the heck knows.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Diana (01-20-2013), Major problem (01-21-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #126
Bear Island South

Default Maxum-Ice Report

Maxum,

Thanks for that great ice report, as the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words".
I nominate you as the official ice reporter.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #127
MAXUM

Well if the truth be told I had the keys to my camp in my pocket hoping there was a chance I could safely cross. I have no doubt the ice between BI and the mainland north of Cattle landing and south of Sheps would be fine to walk across, but where to access to the shore in that area? Being on the NE side of Bear that's a pretty good hike to get out there but I would have!

I was also attempting to scope out where I could park the truck and trailer for an overnighter as well as unload the sleds and get on the ice. I got stuff I need to move out over the ice and hmm not sure where a good starting point will be.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #128
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I was also attempting to scope out where I could park the truck and trailer for an overnighter as well as unload the sleds and get on the ice. I got stuff I need to move out over the ice and hmm not sure where a good starting point will be.
If you are going NE Bear, I would use Shep Browns. When the ice is good you can access from the landing that is past the Showroom building, should be far enough away from the docks and bubblers.

Good Luck! We are hoping to get over the first weekend of Feburary.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #129
Webbsatwinni

Default From Ames Farms 1/20/13

We stopped by the lake on the way back from a snowmobiling trip up north, we drove around and although we see it on the web cams, we were surprised by the lack ice from the shore at Ames Farms to Rattlesnake.

Made me want to take the boat out.
Attached Images

Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-22-2013), rgilfert (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #130
magicrobotmonkey

Took a couple shots of the broads from Lockes Hill in gilford this afternoon. Definitely wide open, but you can see the bays all locked up in the background.

https://plus.google.com/u/1/11449969...ts/4NFQC8YWN5c
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magicrobotmonkey For This Useful Post:
DRH (01-21-2013), Resident 2B (01-21-2013), trfour (01-21-2013), Webbsatwinni (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #131
fatlazyless

As of 5-pm today, Monday, Jan 21, the area between Gov-Timber-Mark-Bear-Cattle Landing-Horse and Meredith Neck is all open water for now. On Saturday there had been a areas of newly formed ice that extended out from the shore for maybe 100-yards but the winds on Sunday minimilized the ice back to water.

Is the water temperature at the Lakeport Dam still a relatively warm 36-degrees?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #132
BoulderBronco

Tonight is the night. Whole lake frozen by tomorrow morning.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #133
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco View Post
Tonight is the night. Whole lake frozen by tomorrow morning.
I wish you were right, but the wind is now back. Forecast calls for wind until at least Thursday night. It is cold, but the wind is ruling the lake right now.

R2B
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #134
BoBo

Default Roberts Cove

Dropped off bobhouse Sunday. Fished last night but did not go far out. 6" in cove but not willing to go up to Plum Island yet.
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #135
Webbsatwinni

Default Is snake eyes a hoax?

ig, are those old pics posted? What a difference a day makes.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #136
Island Girl

Default Here we go!!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Click on the image for the huge version

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #137
rsmlp

Default ice

last post I see is dated about a week ago. i suspect with this weeks frigid temps ice in a far more likely prospect?
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #138
Mink Islander

Default Baby it's cold outside!

And it was great to see the Broads locked in over night!

After last winter, it's good to see us back to a "typical" ice in timeline again.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #139
ishoot308

Default Locked Up!!

Looks like she locked up around Welch last night as well!!
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #140
MAXUM

Is it time for the official ice out thread to begin?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #141
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
Dropped off bobhouse Sunday. Fished last night but did not go far out. 6" in cove but not willing to go up to Plum Island yet.

BoBo, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. It will not be to long that you will be able to move the house anywhere on the lake to drop your line, ya something trolling in ya boat. LOL

Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #142
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default View from Gunstock

Looking out from the summit this morning it appeared to all be iced over. There were some areas darker than others like east of Welch so we can't be sure.

If not today then tomorrow morning for sure but we don't plan to ride the lift up tomorrow.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #143
welchislandman

Default 1-21 and 1-22 from Welch

Cove skimmed overnight
Attached Images

welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #144
Blue Thunder

Default Today's satellite view

looks very promising......as is the case more often than not, Sebago Lake (to the right) remains wide open.

BT
Attached Images

gillygirl (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #145
RANGER CANOE CO

Smile Just wondering

Being the "warmest summer" on record. Is this "ice in" later than usual ?

Thx's
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #146
JB Long Island

Default This time for real ?

Looks like the skim ice from last night is holding up even with the wind today- and with the deep freeze are we finally good to go now ?
Currious what the ice-in experts have to say !
JB Long Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #147
ishoot308

Default This IS It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Long Island View Post
Looks like the skim ice from last night is holding up even with the wind today- and with the deep freeze are we finally good to go now ?
Currious what the ice-in experts have to say !
Well I'm no expert but I would certainly say this is it!! I would consider today as ICE IN 2013!!

Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #148
Island Girl

Default We are in!

I think we are in.... but need to see pics from Lincoln Park and Wolfeboro Neck to be sure... I am not the official caller... though I did not know we had one for ice-in as there is no official definition as there is for ice-out.

My definition is that there is enough ice to hold in the wind and a minor rain storm. The cold for the next few days should thicken things up a bit more.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #149
Sal

I just drove north on Rt. 11 and, from the "scenic view", there is no open water visible. Looks like it's "IN".
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #150
nightrider

Default Interesting ice fishing in Winter Harbor

I was ice fishing Sunday on the east shore of winter harbor opposite the mouth of the bay to the broads. The wind was blowing strong from the west. I was on 4" of decent ice. The ice extended from where I was out to about 3/4of the way to the mouth of the bay and it was wide open from there about 6 miles to the other side of the lake. Early in the day, a very small area on water at the very edge of the shore where I was fishing was moving slightly as the energy from the waves a half mile away traveled under the ice and reached the shore. As the day progressed, and the wind strengthened, and the waves reached 3 or 4 feet as they crashed into the edge of the ice from the broads, the ice where I was fishing had to be moving up and down at least 3 or 4 inches (maybe more) from the wave energy traveling under the ice. Close to shore, the ice began to develop cracks from the undulating waves. My bait bucket in two feet of water, suspended from a line about 3 feet above the ice, was moving in the water about a foot back and forth in the water. Water would be pouring through the cracks as the underwater wave came in and it would just as quickly drain away as the wave receded. I never fished or went beyond 5' of water depth, by the way, just in case. I called it a day at half time of the first game. All in all it was an interesting day on the ice. As I found out Monday morning, the ice continued to crack into large ice floes well past where I was fishing, but amazingly enough, my bait bucket and the limb in the ice from which it was suspended, was intact in the center of one of the ice floes. Everything froze together hard Sunday night and Monday was another great day of fishing. Caught a nice rainbow in dark colors Sunday and another still in bright summer colors yesterday. The green Shanty launch will be done this Saturday. Stop by and say hello to the Nightrider if you're in the neighborhood. There may be a cold beverage in it for you.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightrider For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-23-2013), steam boat guy (01-23-2013), trfour (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #151
Resident 2B

Although I am very surprised that the lake locked up last night given the wind, it did. In addition, with the wind during the day yesterday, the ice held. It looks like the whole lake is frozen and with the very cold weather, we should have great, black ice everywhere.

In a few days, with the forecasted cold weather, it should become very safe. Much better result than I thought, but I am very happy I was wrong. Currently at 1 AM, it is 3 degrees near the Weirs and the ice is loudly "talking". This means it is getting thinker, quickly. Sounds great to me!

Enjoy winter while it is here. Be safe out there!

R2B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-23-2013), Pontoon Goon (01-23-2013), secondcurve (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #152
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I think we are in.... but need to see pics from Lincoln Park and Wolfeboro Neck to be sure... I am not the official caller... though I did not know we had one for ice-in as there is no official definition as there is for ice-out.

My definition is that there is enough ice to hold in the wind and a minor rain storm. The cold for the next few days should thicken things up a bit more.

IG
I think you are right IG. Good day for Dave Emerson to take a ride....
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #153
Belmont Resident

Default Hope so

Cause I'm gettin sick and tired of reading about all the complaints from the ice fishermen.
Now all we need is a snowstorm or blizzard and everyone will be happy.

Before I get hammered, I WAS just joking!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #154
CampChaos

Default Thank you!

Just wanted to thank all of you who are going out and keeping everyone updated! I have a camp on Bear and have over 20 ppl coming in from all over for the fishing derby now that we have ice!!

After a disappointing last year with the hockey tournament being relocated and winni not freezing in time for the derby, it is a great to see the lake back on track and bring in the much needed revenue to the state!

If the temp continues to stay low, I am planning on walking out from Shep Browns to deep cove where my camp is this weekend. I will bring my auger with me and test every 50 or so feet. Will let you know how much ice we have.
CampChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #155
ishoot308

Default Open Water Again!!

Massive open water again happened last night around Welch. Not sure how the heck that happened with the thermometer reading 8 below zero!! Sheeesh will this lake ever freeze!!!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #156
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Massive open water again happened last night around Welch. Not sure how the heck that happened with the thermometer reading 8 below zero!! Sheeesh will this lake ever freeze!!!
If ice in doesn't happen soon, they won't have time to build the ice hotel this year.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #157
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Ishoot308- in a word...

...Wind
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #158
Bear Island South

Is this the same open water seen here that Ishoot is seeing from Welch?
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #159
Island Girl

Default 10 days ago?

That picture has a date of Jan. 13. Is that accurate?

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #160
Bear Island South

Quote:
23 JAN 13...I believe is JAN 23, 2013
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #161
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
^^ what he said.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #162
Island Girl

Default Faked me out

I read it wrong, Thanks. It is difficult to see in the image, but I think you may be correct. An image from Lincoln Park and Glendale docks would help. Also no wind would really help.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #163
Bear Island South

The picture is from Gunstock Acres Cam, picture from yesterday shows ice.

Amazing that it opened up with below zero temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
mcdude (01-25-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #164
ishoot308

It appears that this is the normal section of open water that is always last to freeze on the lake even after the broads. This section would be in front of Belknap Point / Lincoln Park area and extend all the way out to Welch. The Glendale dock area is completely frozen well past Lockes island so a picture there would not help as this area can't be seen from there. A pic from Lincoln Park would show it clearly.

Dan
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #165
brk-lnt

Sorry guys, I accidentally dropped a Hot Pocket in the lake by the Glendale docks yesterday. Anyone who has ever eaten a Hot Pocket knows that they initially have the stored heat capacity of a small nuclear reaction, which is immediately released once you break the outer crust. That must've been what caused the ice to melt. Fortunately, it should cool down in about 72 hours and then the ice might re-form.

My apologies.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #166
fatlazyless

I just called 527-0071 for the Lakeport Dam NH-DES recorded lake data daily 7:15-am report and it said that the water temperature is 35-degrees ..... and doesn't it need to be a water temperature of 34-degrees at the dam to usually have ice-in happen....if I recall correct. Wind, water temperature, sun's daily exposure and whatever all adds up for an ice-in or ice-out.....hey how's about that Lake Sebago about one hours drive to the east in Maine and how that looks to be all open water....so why is that....Maine winters have a reputation for being long and cooold?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #167
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I just called 527-0071 for the Lakeport Dam NH-DES recorded lake data daily 7:15-am report and it said that the water temperature is 35-degrees ..... and doesn't it need to be a water temperature of 34-degrees at the dam to usually have ice-in happen....if I recall correct. Wind, water temperature, sun's daily exposure and whatever all adds up for an ice-in or ice-out.....hey how's about that Lake Sebago about one hours drive to the east in Maine and how that looks to be all open water....so why is that....Maine winters have a reputation for being long and cooold?
Sebago is very deep and as a result holds more heat. I almost never freezes other than in bays and coves.

R2B
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #168
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Sebago is very deep and as a result holds more heat. I almost never freezes other than in bays and coves.

R2B
Since I would be the resident Sebago expert here, I will say this....while Sebago is very deep in places (200-315 ft) the reason it doesn't freeze is strictly due to the fact that the wind almost never stops. The water is certainly cold enough and with temps at 0 last night and a projected low of 10 below tonight, unless the forecasted breeze of west wind 3-8 mph tonight doesn't happen there will be open water tomorrow morning. Hard to believe....but it does freeze completely about 50% of the time.

Edit: this morning's sunrise webcam shot..-4 degrees and no ice.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blue Thunder; 01-24-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Blue Thunder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Thunder For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (01-23-2013), trfour (01-23-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #169
ishoot308

Default Still Open!!

Still have open water this morning!!
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #170
Belmont Resident

Default Wow

I'd thought from some of the replies that the whole lake locked in.
It looks like a big part of it has not.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #171
Island Girl

Default That is not a pretty sight

Ugh! that is not what I was hoping for. What direction are you facing? What are we looking at? I am trying to picture what is open water, from Welch's to where?

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #172
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Is this the same open water seen here that Ishoot is seeing from Welch?
Is this shot from a web cam? Can you share the url? Great shot!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #173
upthesaukee

Default toward lockes

IG, earlier in this thread, or another one, Ishoot308 said it looks toward Locke's Island and Belknap Point..

Just happened to remember that.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #174
Island Girl

Default Other side of Welch Island

Thanks Uppy,

So now the question is the open area just on that end of Welch's? Anyone, anyone..... any retired people willing to take a ride to Gilford to take some pics for us. Lincoln Park has a great view of Welch's and the lake on the west and south sides on the island. (pardon if I get the navigation wrong)

A pic from Ames Farm would also be nice... Come on folks, it is a lovely day for a ride with your camera.

IG, who is 2 hours away and needing a lake fix!

....... Make Lemonade
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #175
upthesaukee

Default Nice day????

It is -5, up from -6 overnight, and feels like -17!!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #176
Island Girl

Default Balmy

Good day to read, in front of the wood stove..... I, on the other hand, am sitting in my office at work staring at four screens and a to-do list a mile long. I point and click for a living!

The webcams are on one screen, refreshing every few minutes.... my lifeline.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #177
ishoot308

Quote:
Ugh! that is not what I was hoping for. What direction are you facing? What are we looking at? I am trying to picture what is open water, from Welch's to where?
The camera faces West. Here this will help...
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
JerseyGuy (01-24-2013), Pontoon Goon (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #178
Slickcraft

Quote:
Thanks Uppy,

So now the question is the open area just on that end of Welch's? Anyone, anyone..... any retired people willing to take a ride to Gilford to take some pics for us. Lincoln Park has a great view of Welch's and the lake on the west and south sides on the island. (pardon if I get the navigation wrong)

A pic from Ames Farm would also be nice... Come on folks, it is a lovely day for a ride with your camera.

IG, who is 2 hours away and needing a lake fix!
I'll stop at Lincoln Park early afternoon, after it warms up to above zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #179
KarmaGirl

Pics from Broadview Condos this am looking toward Welch.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359038578.781338.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  59.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359038598.188463.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  63.4 KB
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarmaGirl For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-24-2013), Island-Ho (01-24-2013), Webbsatwinni (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #180
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Is this shot from a web cam? Can you share the url? Great shot!
Looks like a good section still open...here is the link, it can also be found on the Weirs Cam site.

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/erikas/2/show.html

Also, see the Modis site, from yesterday it looks like open water extends from Welch Is. over to Long Is.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/...4.143.250m.jpg
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
mcdude (01-25-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #181
Island Girl

Default Thanks for the pictures

This is great. It shows the extent of the open water around Welch's. It appears that the Broads itself is iced over.

The satellite image is deceiving. It is hard to tell if the dark areas are black ice or open water.

Is anyone here from Wolfeboro Neck or the broadside of Tuftonboro. It would be great to have cams, or at least pictures from there.

Again thanks to those posting pictures of the lake that the cams so not cover.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #182
Slickcraft

Default Lincoln Park today

Looking between Welch and Round and then back toward ishoot308's web cam.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Diana (01-24-2013), ishoot308 (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #183
Island Girl

Default How far to the right is the open water

Does the open water go much further to the right of your lower picture?

Thanks so much for posting.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #184
Slickcraft

Quote:
Does the open water go much further to the right of your lower picture?

Thanks so much for posting.

IG
That open water patch goes a little way further, you can see the end in KarmaGirl's 2nd photo.

Also there is a thinner strip of open water arcing from near Ellacoya to the southern tip of Welch, partially visible in KarmaGirl's 2nd photo.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #185
Island-Ho

Default Web Cam

It sure would be nice to have a web cam with that view! Keep us posted as to when that hole closes up!
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #186
Resident 2B

The stronger winds look to go away during the day on Friday. The cold will moderate some, but the conditions to freeze the open water will be better than they have been starting Friday night through Monday night. We have the cold, we just need to get rid of these winds. With most of the open areas locked up, I think the rest will be locked up by Monday or Tuesday.

Where there is ice, it is growing. You can hear the cracking sounds coming down Meredith Bay at night.

R2B
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #187
Mink Islander

Default Cattle Landing activity?

So FLL, seeing any activity through/around Cattle Landing yet? Have you ventured out onto the ice yet to test it's thickness? Still planning a trip up on Saturday morning to check things out. Expectations are that I should have plenty of ice by then (but will be cutting holes as I go!) just to be sure.

I would love to hear from anyone with reports on that area.

Minkislander
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #188
ishoot308

Default No Ice Gain

No ice gain I can see all day! The wind must really be whippin'.

Dan
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #189
MAXUM

Quote:
So FLL, seeing any activity through/around Cattle Landing yet? Have you ventured out onto the ice yet to test it's thickness? Still planning a trip up on Saturday morning to check things out. Expectations are that I should have plenty of ice by then (but will be cutting holes as I go!) just to be sure.

I would love to hear from anyone with reports on that area.

Minkislander
I plan to do the same thing, crossing between Sheps over to Bear Island on Saturday morning on foot. Gonna have an ice auger with us just to be sure, we'll drill holes as well but I can tell you that at least that ice was looking real good on Sunday (see pics I posted earlier) so it's no doubt good to go now. Cattle landing was still open water from there looking out towards Timber and Governor's Island so whatever ice is there is new as of Monday.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #190
Idylltimer

Default Ice at Cattle

I was at Cattle today, all iced in as far as you can see from the dock, excluding the bubbler. It was open water a few days ago looking towards Govenor's Island, but looking towards Pine, it was all ice.
Idylltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Idylltimer For This Useful Post:
Hamiltony (01-25-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #191
RLW

Smile

Idylltimer, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Thanks kindly or the input regarding new ice locations.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #192
jess1234

Any pictures of Welch Island Area open water?
jess1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #193
ishoot308

Default Still Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1234 View Post
Any pictures of Welch Island Area open water?
Here ya go!...
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #194
Dhuberty24

There must be an anti-freeze spring there.
Dhuberty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #195
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Still lot's of open water on the Broads

Pictures from yesterday morning 1-24-13, and today 1-25-13. Both taken from Big Pier.

Yesterday looking toward Diamond and Rattlesnake at sunrise

Name:  sunrise_1-24-13_1-qpr.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  197.5 KB

Today looking toward Diamond at sunrise. Looks like the overnight NW wind is piling up any ice that tries to form.

Name:  sunrise_looking_west_1-25-13_1-qpr.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  186.1 KB
DRH (01-25-2013), ishoot308 (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #196
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Here ya go!...
Are you sure your bubbler is in the right place
You need to move it closer to your dock !
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #197
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Good idea.. let's blame Dan!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #198
fatlazyless

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest View Post
Most likely, the 4x6" wood posts are attached to the dock but don't extend down to the lake bottom, and the dock is held up by horizontal logs that are set inside the stone breakwater, so there's no need for an ice-eater water circulator. And, the stone breakwater has an angled outer face designed to deflect a moving ice sheet that can weigh a hell of a lot.

At zero degrees it sure seems like the ice is much stronger and much harder to break with an ice chopper than it is at say 25-degrees. With colder temperatures, the ice gets stronger and stronger? .....just my two cents from chopping the lake ice around a dock...

What that breakwater needs is a small hot tub, like a $4500 Jetsetter from Energysavers, on top of the stones down at the end! That would be a dynamite spot for a hot tub! ..
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #199
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Most likely, the 4x6" wood posts are attached to the dock but don't extend down to the lake bottom, and the dock is held up by horizontal logs that are set inside the stone breakwater, so there's no need for an ice-eater water circulator. And, the stone breakwater has an angled outer face designed to deflect a moving ice sheet that can weigh a hell of a lot.
Nope, those 4" x 6" posts go right to the bottom and have been that way for many years without issues. No bubbler system either. I do have some large round telephone type poles horizontally that take the weight of the dock also.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #200
NHgirl

Default Tonight

Tonight might be it. Low 4 with winds light and variable.
NHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote