Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Help with steering noise

Hi! On our new boat we have the Seastar hydraulic steering system--besides the initial tap when turning from one side to the other, should there be any other noise? I'm getting clunks as I turn the wheel and am not convinced I should be. It's a Mercury 150 4-stroke, BTW.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Initial tap?

Why would there be an initial tap? I'm not sure what that means. A hesitation? Hydraulic steering should be smooth all the way left to right and back. Perhaps after a little use, you have a bubble in the system and it needs to be bled? In a former boat I had to add fluid every spring. Nobody ever saw a drop lost into the bilge or around fittings, etc. (Scotch is aged in a full barrel. When you tap it six years later, some is missing. This is known as the Angel's Share.) You may have an angel in the hydraulic system.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Why would there be an initial tap? I'm not sure what that means. A hesitation? Hydraulic steering should be smooth all the way left to right and back. Perhaps after a little use, you have a bubble in the system and it needs to be bled? In a former boat I had to add fluid every spring. Nobody ever saw a drop lost into the bilge or around fittings, etc. (Scotch is aged in a full barrel. When you tap it six years later, some is missing. This is known as the Angel's Share.) You may have an angel in the hydraulic system.
What I mean by the initial tap is what I assume to be a little play when going from one direction to the other. Should there be absolutely no noise/clunking turning the wheel?

Old 07-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
DesertDweller

I have the same system as you (last two boats actually) and it's always been very smooth with no clunking or other sounds. As stated above, possibly air in the system. Have the dealer check it out as it is a new boat.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
What I mean by the initial tap is what I assume to be a little play when going from one direction to the other. Should there be absolutely no noise/clunking turning the wheel?

That little bit of play is called a hysteresis (whew, big word, Google it if you don't believe me). It's normal and the natural torque of the prop spinning may make a difference in left vs. right turns as well. Lot's of variables involved. All this being said, if your wheel turns free for much more than a quarter turn you could have another problem.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Big word notwithstanding, it should be smooth throughout the range or rotation.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:01 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have Seastar on the new Eastern with a 115 Yamaha; absolutely smooth lock to lock. As noted, you could have air in the lines.

At speed with the wheel stationary the system acts to hold the steering fixed so that prop torque will not turn the steering if you take your hands off the wheel. Like a hydraulic clutch. The wheel has to be turned a slight distance either way to release the clutch effect however the transition should be smooth. (Yes hysteresis is a proper term).
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanks, everyone--one other question: since I'm feeling it in the steering wheel, what might be the problem?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Thanks, everyone--one other question: since I'm feeling it in the steering wheel, what might be the problem?

As others have said it sounds like air in the steering system.... Bring it to the dealer and have them bleed out the system.....
Old 07-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
thinkxingu

So the dealer replaced the helm, but the noise/feeling is still there (albeit maybe a little better). It was mentioned that it might take time for the air to move to where it can be bled completely, but now I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts? Is there anyone in the north of the lake that has more experience with boats that might be willing to check it out and gimme their thoughts?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #11
Top-Water

Quote:
Thoughts?
Hi thinkxingu, I'll take a guess that won't cost much but might be worth a try.

Without knowing exactly what the engine of your boat looks like here is where I would go next. You said you had a mercury 150, I'm familiar with that family of outboard motors, most of these outboard motors are all the same with regard to how the steering works and it's been pretty much the same design for many years. Regardless of what kind of system the steering wheel is connected to the heart of steering takes place at the "Swivel Bracket" on the engine assembly.

See if you can locate these two grease fittings on the swivel bracket and lubricate them. They are somewhat hidden from view when the entire engine is assembled. Obviously these are just "part images" but will give you a clue where to look. Often folks only lubricate the one in the first image hoping it will correct steering problems like noise and binding problems. The clunking noise could be from something binding. Despite how close it is to the steering cables or hydraulic lines that connect to the steering wheel it does nothing to lubricate the steering. It's actually the lubrication point for tilting the engine.

The one you really want to find is in the second image, that is the one that might? maybe? could? be the problem. If the steering is binding at this location you are going to feel it in the steering wheel. (You might have to turn the motor all the way to one side or the other to find / see this one)

On a newer boat I kinda doubt that this would the problem but might be worth a try. (A lot of folks never grease this for years with no problems) The thing to look out for is even if it does not solve the problem ..... see if the problem changes its behavior ......... . Often grease will dampen or quiet a clunking noise for a while until it needs more .... maybe giving you a new clue what to look for next.

Good luck

Approximately where to look for these grease fittings.

Last edited by Top-Water; 07-21-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Hi thinkxingu, I'll take a guess that won't cost much but might be worth a try.

Without knowing exactly what the engine of your boat looks like here is where I would go next. You said you had a mercury 150, I'm familiar with that family of outboard motors, most of these outboard motors are all the same with regard to how the steering works and it's been pretty much the same design for many years. Regardless of what kind of system the steering wheel is connected to the heart of steering takes place at the "Swivel Bracket" on the engine assembly.

See if you can locate these two grease fittings on the swivel bracket and lubricate them. They are somewhat hidden from view when the entire engine is assembled. Obviously these are just "part images" but will give you a clue where to look. Often folks only lubricate the one in the first image hoping it will correct steering problems like noise and binding problems. The clunking noise could be from something binding. Despite how close it is to the steering cables or hydraulic lines that connect to the steering wheel it does nothing to lubricate the steering. It's actually the lubrication point for tilting the engine.

The one you really want to find is in the second image, that is the one that might? maybe? could? be the problem. If the steering is binding at this location you are going to feel it in the steering wheel. (You might have to turn the motor all the way to one side or the other to find / see this one)

On a newer boat I kinda doubt that this would the problem but might be worth a try. (A lot of folks never grease this for years with no problems) The thing to look out for is even if it does not solve the problem ..... see if the problem changes its behavior ......... . Often grease will dampen or quiet a clunking noise for a while until it needs more .... maybe giving you a new clue what to look for next.

Good luck

Approximately where to look for these grease fittings.
Top-Water, thanks for the suggestion. I probably should have been more clear that the noise/feeling is in the steering wheel area--the engine turns smoothly, but I feel the clunk in my hands.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
ursa minor

Since this is a hydraulic system, there's a steering ram connected to the engine to turn it correct? If they've replaced the helm and the issue is still present perhaps the problem is in the ram at the engine. The hydraulic fluid could transmit any sudden motion or vibration through the lines to the helm where you feel it. Just a thought, good luck.